Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 2001 owner quick question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sneeki Tiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneeki Tiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 2001 owner quick question
    Posted: April-26-2007 at 10:14pm
I just bought an '86 2001 from the help of CorrectCraftFan.com. I'm new to the inboard scene and have a few questions about covering her up. When it rains, I get water pools on both sides of the dog box. I thought about bows but I'm not drilling. No way. Maybe even poles, but im afraid of poking holes through the cover. Any advice would be great.
Wild, Wonderful, West "By God" Virgina Nautique owner
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2007 at 10:29pm
The best system we've found uses 2 poles. You can find support poles that dont need to stick through the cover- we had one for our '88. I actually used an adjustable shower curtain rod for a month or so last year. For the front pole, you can make a support out of PVC pipe that slips over the pylon. A few inches of 3" pipe, a few feet of 2" pipe, a 2"-3" reducer and a 2" end cap and youre good to go.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2007 at 10:38pm
On past boats, I've made a cage of PVC. Just stick in it the boat to tent the cover up. Worked really well. BKH
Livin' the Dream

bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 12:01am
Good call! (PVC over the pylon) Seems like a no-brainer now...
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 3:31pm
Prop up your motor box with a peice of scrap wood.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 3:41pm
Run a rope/nylon strap from lift ring to lift ring over the windshield. I don't do this often, so not sure if its too much weight on the glass. If you're worried, do the pylong/pvc extension and go from that to the rear lift ring.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneeki Tiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 6:10pm
Great ideas fella's. The extended pylon with the nylon strap to the rear lift ring sounds good.(as long as it looks good). What are your thoughts on docking to prevent rubs and scratches? I've seen the whips and other contraptions on the market, but isn't there something simplier to keep it away from the dock
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 8:05pm
Storing it in a garage on the trailer has always suited me well... A boat lift is a good way if you have room for it.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Sneeki Tiki Sneeki Tiki wrote:

What are your thoughts on docking to prevent rubs and scratches? I've seen the whips and other contraptions on the market, but isn't there something simplier to keep it away from the dock

Are you talking about mooring your boat for long periods or are you talking about docking after launching for loading/unloading at the peer?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneeki Tiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 11:20am
Im going to moore it at our dock on long weekends but pull it out during the week.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2007 at 11:52pm
What you'll need to moore your boat at the dock overnight depends alot on how smooth or rough the water is where the boat will be. On calm days with no boat traffic in the area, a couple of mooring lines (front and rear) and a couple fenders (balloon like pads hung from the gunwhales) will do just fine. If the water is very rough you may want to anchor it out away from the dock. What is the shore like in this area? Does the water depth taper off to a shallow sandy bottom? Or does the bank just drop off? If the former is true, you can pull it up into the shollow water so that the front part of the boat's bottom is in contact with the sand and set the anchor into the ground just ahead. If you do this though, you must be aware of the tides (if they affect the water you are in).
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 9:50pm
The pvc is great, as it will not stain the interior. Wodd under the box is good, just don't put a board across the boat, as it will stain.

You can also pull a tight rope from the pylon to the rear lifting ring. Pull one not as tight from the pylon to the front lifting ring, loose should not damage the windshield at all.
rudderdad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic