Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

early 70’s nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
burdiejr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burdiejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: early 70’s nautique
    Posted: May-01-2007 at 11:45am
i am new to the nautique world and have wanted one for years...i just sold my stingray and in process of purchasing nautique. want to know if there are any major areas of concern......were these good models etc etc. thanks in advance for the help.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 12:10pm
burd, Welcome and good luck finding a Nautique. The major concern beyond cosmetics and engine condition would be the condition of the wood stringers under the floor. If they have not been replaced in a 70's boat, I would be very cautious on the purchase

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
burdiejr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burdiejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 1:55pm
wood stringers? how and where do look...obviouly in the floor. its a fiberglass boat and comseticly looks very good. the man who owns it is a friend of mine and has owned several of these boats.....?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2007 at 3:42pm
burd, I want you to use the search feature above and enter "stringer replacement" and then start reading!! It gets involved and there are lots of pictures to look at too. If your friend has owned several of these boats, then he should be very informed on the subject.Yes it is a fiberglass boat but it wasn't until 93 when CC stopped using a wood stringer system. Wood stringers are a very common method of building a fiberglass boat no matter who built it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
burdiejr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burdiejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 8:01am
so i seen a lot of valuble info on hte website...next question is it still worth the money...better than that how do i tell if the stringers are starting to rot. also is there permanet fix for this or....fix every 10-15 years? if the beams are in good shape is there anything to do ti them to prevent this all together? thanks for the help
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2007 at 1:26pm
Burd, There are threads on checking for rotten stringers as well but the easiest is to check the engine mount bolts to see if they will tighten up. If they don't then there isn't enough solid stringer left for the lag bolts to grab.

When new stringers are done in a boat, epoxy resin is prefered over polyester for the glass work. Epoxy doesn't absorb water moister like polyester does so the stringers will last. Greater care than was done originally at the factory in making sure that the wood is compleatly surrounded by the glass / epoxy will greatly extend the life. Some people have found that the factory jobs compleatly missed certain areas of wood. Some have used non wood composites but this method is new and hasn't proven itself yet.

Has your friend selling the boat commented on the subject yet?

As far as weather it is worth the cost depends on the purchase price, if you will be doing the work or having it done by a pro and what the boat is worth. You can get a general idea on the boats value in our for sale section. There is even a graph that shows past mins and max sold prices. If you do it yourself, there is always "the labor of love" factor too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
burdiejr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burdiejr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2007 at 9:53am
thank you so much....maybe i cna post some pics and get an idea from yall...thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic