Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Coil replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coil replacement
    Posted: May-04-2007 at 1:06pm
Is it ok to use an automotive coil to replace my existing coil on my 95 EFI gt-40 ?

Accel coil
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 2:17pm
Todd, I didn't think there were specific marine vs. automotive coils. You can use that no problem. I put a standard MSD Blaster coil on my boat and the only thing that was suggested is seeing as it's oil-filled, it should be mounted upright as much as possible. With newer HEI coils being epoxy filled, that will not be an issue.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 3:55pm
Thanks Eddie, I didn't think so, but I know there are other parts that are marine specific and wanted to make sure.

Hope your still out there footin' it up in Winter Haven.
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 8:32am
Not a problem Todd.

Actually, been really busy getting stuff done around the house before the hot weather hits. Been out a few times, but not near as much as I'd like to. That should change in the week now. Also have a couple weedings that I have to fly back to WI for in the next month but hope to hook up with some old buds up there and get time on the water in.

Also wanted to know how far are you from San Fransico? My daughter is planning on moving out there. Thought it might be kinda nice for her to be able to hook up with someone to do some skiing after she gets settled in.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 9:30am
I wouldn't use that style of coil it will not hold up and leave you stranded, use a cannister style if you can.

the issue is that the laminations on that style of coil float and will crack the case in a short amount of time
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 11:41am
Eddie, I live in Napa, which is about 45 minutes from San Fransisco. My wife, the kids and I would be more than happy to take your daughter skiing.

79 - do you have a brand or model number for a cannister style that would match up with the EFI for my 95 ?
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 12:05pm
Eddie,

We also live 60 miles from San Francisco and would be happy to take take your daughter skiing. BKH
Livin' the Dream

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 12:56pm
79 are you referring to the MSD Blaster coil as the one you wouldn't use?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 1:51pm
No ED it's fine other than if used with a newer style mallory dist they (mallory) say it burns up the module prematurely for some reason.

With the Accel coil posted earlier the last thing that goes together on it are the e-lam's are inserted through the windings and welded together on each side and the center yellow section containing the primary and secondary windings floats inbetween the laminations and with the harsh beating it takes from boating that it doesn't see in a car application will crack the overmolded plastic and short the secondary winding.

The mallory tech line spec'd a simular style coil for me when I first re-built my motor and it lasted all of a couple of weeks at best.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 1:57pm
So should I just pick up a motorcraft coil like what is on mine now and not try and get some extra voltage performance coil ?
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 2:03pm
Not sure if the GT40 has a tendency towards a specific type of coil- it might be worth a call to SkiDIM and ask. If it doesnt take anything special, an epoxy filled canister type might be the way to go for marine use. They withstand vibration better and can be mounted in any orientation.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 2:03pm
I'm not that familur with the 95 motor Todd and if it does have the e-lam style coil currently on it then I would get a marine grade version of it and not an automotive grade coil. The MSD blaster coil is fine the mallory marine coil I use is fine it just depends on the type of connections you currently have and weather or not you are willing to change them or use the current connector's. A hotter coil really isn't going to do any thing for a stock motor to start with and if all you have done is change the intake then you really haven't done much to start with and it's still basicly a stock motor.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 2:11pm
Thanks 79 - it does have an e-lam style coil. SKiDim does not carry one. How about this one ?
MSD Coil
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 2:24pm
guess you missed the part about a marine application
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 2:28pm
No luck finding marine grade yet..... I'll keep looking
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 3:55pm
Brian, Todd, thanks for the offers. I'll talk with her and let her know. I'm sure when she finally gets out there and decides what she wants to do, she just might take you up on it.

She is hoping to get out there in the next month or two. She's putting out resume's now and hoping for the best.

I'll keep you posted as to the timeframes.

Thanks again guys!!!!
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 6:36pm
Todicus, try jegs. They have a MSD balster 3 coil epoxy filled, mount it in any position. Great for use in situations with hi vibration. It's only $39.99 the part number is 121-8223.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 7:17pm
the blaster three with the funky tower, don't believe it's going to work with the ignition system you have to start with and the taller tower is a waist and looks like crap anyway.

What is the issue with your current coil to start with?

what kind of mods have you made to the motor?

a higher output coil is going to get you no where and you will not see any perfromance or drivability improvements on a stock motor anyway so save your money.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 7:35pm
either this MSD coil

or mallory coil

and that is provided that you only have two leads going to your current coil.

If there are four leads going to you current coil then neither will work and you will have to get a factory replacement coil to interface with the computer's est loop to control the timing.
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 7:57pm
79 - thanks for the input.

No motor mods, just the stock 310hp gt-40 EFI.

Has a serious ignition hesitation after running the the boat for 30 minutes or more

Spoke with Hammers marine Nautiqie dealer, and the service manager said it sounded like the coil heats up and then cuts out....... a rather common problem he has seen.

I'll just get a stock replacement (Marine grade )

My original question was if there was a difference in the auto coils vs. marine coils, and you have answered that..... heavy vibration, seaparation etc. will kill an auto coil.

Thanks again.

Todd
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 11:32pm
if you have only two leads going to the coil then get the msd I suggested it will be easy to mount about anywhere and give you a little more juice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic