Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

oil pressure too high?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil pressure too high?
    Posted: May-07-2007 at 10:01pm
Changed the oil for the first time last fall (changed from unknown to Valv 10w30. Noticed when fogging the engine the pressure was significantly higher (I think it used to be 40 psi at idle). Fast forward to spring, I was running the engine this evening. At idle, I'm now showing 60 psi. Seems extremely high for such low rpms. No known problems, but I'll have it on the water next weekend. Anything to look for, or be cautious of? Thanks
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2007 at 10:45pm
It should come down when the oil warms up!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 4:41am
Dan, Are you sure that the gauge and sender are ok? I just went through this about a month ago and it turned out to be a bad sender.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 6:29am
Noticed the same with on '05 Excalibur. Changed the oil and for about 2 minutes had an easy 20 psi higher at idle or running rpm's. After she was running on the water, the oil warmed up and now the pressure is the same as before the oil change.

I think this equates to the fact that we left the old oil in for too long! Probably need to increase the frequency of the oil changes.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 10:13am
Thanks! I can't confirm that the gauge and sender are ok - I'll have to read up in the forums on that topic. I'll get it on the water this weekend and see what happens when its up to temp.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 11:15am
ok this is pretty stupid stuff here, change the oil more often so the pressure is up, changed it and now higher pressure.

the oil pressure will always be at least 10-20 psi higher when the oil is cold, the weight/grade or brand really has no effect on the pressure. If the motor is low on oil then the pressure can read lower than normal because it's sucking air. Use a quality filter, change it regularly, check the level regularly and it will be consistant within 5 psi.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic