Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ticking issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
1998Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ticking issues
    Posted: May-08-2007 at 12:38pm
i put a new exhaust manifold on my engine, wasn't the problem. I ran the boat on my driveway for 20min, and the ticking went away at 1000RPM. But it starts to tick at 1500 know. So is it something thats just loseing up.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2007 at 1:43pm
that's an exhaust leak, you will eventually blow out/tear the gasket. tighten it all up again and get it hot, then tighten again. if it won't go away you have a bad gasket or warped manifold.
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2007 at 6:25pm
Make you use a straight edge on your manifolds before remounting them, if you already have them off to replace the gasket... If you see daylight it's warped.
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-11-2007 at 11:33am
When I bought my '79 it had a tick that was very loud at idle and would go away above 1000rpm. I thought it was a stuck lifter. Ended up being a scuffed piston.

I hope that isn't your problem but the symptoms sound similar.

Have you tried listening to the engine with a stethoscope? That can help you isolate where noises are coming from. They are inexepensive and can be found at most auto parts stores

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 5:57pm
My engine only has 150 hours after a total rebuild.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2007 at 6:58pm
Who rebuilt it? you can also try to isolate the noise by running the engine and removing one plug wire at a time, be careful somewhere along the line when doing this you will get shocked, or let a friend pull the wires, anyways its a good way to find what cylinder is making the noise if any
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1998Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2007 at 11:55am
Before I started it this season, I changed the plugs and wires, and put a new cap and rotor on. Would this maybe have an effect if I did something wrong?
AWhite70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AWhite70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-14-2007 at 8:02am
Only having 150 hrs after a rebuild doesn't mean much. I rebuilt my engine for the scuffed pistons I listed above, but we didn't get the piston to bore clearance set loose enough for a marine engine. 25hrs later I had the same ticking noise due to two more scuffed pistons.

As Eric said try to isolate the noise to a cylinder. Figure out where the noise is coming from.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic