Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Systems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Barr-acuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr-acuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Systems
    Posted: July-26-2004 at 3:51pm
I killed my 318 and picked up a replacement. Unfortunately it is a few years older than the 69 that I killed. The heads are flat on the older engine which changes the angle on everything. As best I can tell the engine was made in '64. Any ideas where I can get exhaust manifolds which would fit under a Barracuda hood? Or...would I be able to use the 69 heads on the 64 engine? The 69 heads have an extra water hole at the front which the 64 block does not have. Confused and getting frustrated.    
99 SNOB
69 Barracuda
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2004 at 8:34pm
You have an M style Engine instead of an LM The heads are completely different I found a set of manifolds used from Blue Ridge Marine in Lynwood WA. They were 600.00 for the pair. Depending where you are, Speed Specialities in El Cajon California (San Diego)has an LM block bored .60 over ready to rebuild. They rebuilt my M block 66 barracuda and we needed a new block so their supplier sent them an LM by mistake. They didn't know it until they went to bolt on the heads. They charged me 2K to rebuild my old motor including the new block.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr-acuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 2:45am
Engine Plate says 318BXRX   
Model 327
99 SNOB
69 Barracuda
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 11:14am
barracuda i have a set of manifolds off an older 318.not sure what year.if it helps,they are the square type.the ones on my barracuda are rounded on top.boat's a 68.motor is a 68-74.i took the best parts from 3 motors to build 1.so i really dont know what year those manifolds are from. reid p any idea here !
i always thought they were called water jackets.
kenny g
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 3:09pm
I beleive that if the sparkplugs are above the manifold and they are rounded they are from an M style motor 19?? to 1967 If the sparkplugs are below the manifold and they are square they are from an LM style 1968-197?
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 6:47pm
hey rick,i think you got me on that 1.my 318 is 20 miles away in the shop ,but i'm sure the plugs are under on both styles.
look at the reference section.the crysler marine manual i [or keith]posted on this site.we are sure it's a 67 manual.i thought it was for my 68.but keith says no,maybe 66 or 67.so i yhink the square manifolds may be older than the 68 mod.pg7 is what i'm using,the rounded style.
kenny g
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2004 at 11:16pm
My two cents have been jinglin in my pocket all afternoon. Here's what I uncovered with a little research: Rick is pretty much dead-on but I'll take it even further. Just about everyone knows "Polyhead" on this site. He took his name from his 318 engine which was the original style 318 manufactured "for autos" from 1959 to 1966. Everything on at least the top half of this motor is completely different from the later 318 used in vehicles up to just several years ago. Similar to the differences in 351 Windsors and Clevelands. As was common with the marine engines displacements, you could find some of them being installed in boat model years after it was discontinued in cars. This 318 Poly was installed in a number of '67 model boats as we have one which according to CC was built in Nov 66. We also have the old white/red 67 SN which was built in early 67 and it has the modern 318, so it appears that they changed over sometime around the end of 66. Everyone check your 67 Mopars.

As to "M" verses "LM", Rick looks correct here also according to my older and newer doc's. But back in the early 60's, all of Chryslers marine engines carried the prefix "M" for Marine, I guess. When used in cars the early Poly 318's were referred to as "A" engines while the later 318's, along with the 273, 340 and 360 engines were "LA's", which I just read stood for Light. While however, the modern 318's were listed as LM, the 360 and 440 units still were referred to as M engines, even up to the early 90's, prior to ceasing production. Poly engines, even in cars, have the plugs accessible above the exhausts. I've yet to see a Poly motor in any boat later than a 67 that came with it originally, not to say they didn't do it. They were putting 312 Ford Interceptors in boats up until at least '65-66, when the last one went in a car about '62.

The brochure I feel is a 67 or older and somewhere I believe I saw a '67' designation.

There are still neat parts available for the Poly 318's such as aluminum intakes, etc, but I think sticking with the LM 318 might be the easier route, with parts everywhere.       
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2004 at 2:15am
BlueRidge Marine in Lynwood WA and Speed Specialties in EL Cajon CA were my references. Paul at BlueRidge Marine was a fountain of both information and parts for my 66 Barracuda before I sold her. Speed Specialities did a wonderful job of rebuilding and balancing my M style for 2K and all we reused were the crank and heads.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2004 at 2:23am
Bravo! Mr P. Outstanding! I would also suggest going with a later model 318. Not that I am not pleased with my motor, I went thru a few bottles of asprin rebuilding mine to keep the boat original. The right head on a poly is strictly marine, and you cannot find any, not to mention exhaust valves. One other thing to remember if it is a poly, the bell housing can only used with a poly. It is the same with an automotive application, the old torqueflite's were made special for poly's. And oh yeah! Good Luck! finding wet exhaust jackets for a poly!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr-acuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2004 at 4:57pm
Thanks for all your help. It has been quite informative. It looks like Osco has all the missing exhaust pieces I need so I guess the polyhead will get the nod. They are in the osco catalog on their web site under Osco (not Chrysler). I called Osco and he assured me that their product is what I am looking for. Hope he knows what he (and I) am talking about. Now all I have to do is totally restore a 35 year old boat. At least I still have the Correct Craft side logos. Thank again!!
99 SNOB
69 Barracuda
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2004 at 5:25pm
barracuda. what is 99 SNOB ? please don't tell me what i think it is.
i have only seen 1 . ever ! that was in northern ky a few years back.
kenny g

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barr-acuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2004 at 3:29am
Mr G

My boat is a beautiful blue, gold and white Ski Nautique Open Bow (SNOB) just like the one in the 1999 Correct Craft Brochure. It's a thing of beauty and it drives like a dream. My 69 Barracuda with no fins drives like a dirt car midget while the SNOB handles like a Formula One. Both are much fun in their own way. Later and thanks again
99 SNOB
69 Barracuda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic