NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IT Geeks?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IT Geeks?
    Posted: May-20-2007 at 10:25am
Just curious - I'm a project manager in an information technology department and was wondering who else on this site is in IT.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 11:21am
I am in IT. I'm a software engineer for a company that provides software for federal, state and local government.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think we may be a rare breed at this site
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 11:25am
IT Director for a B2B publishing company. Jack-of-all trades- DBA, Network Admin, web developer, you name it.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 11:40am
I've been in sales of IT infrasturcture for 15 years, but when it comes to hands on, I'm about the least technical guy you'll ever meet (kind of embarrassing given I have an engineering degree). BKH
Livin' the Dream

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 11:59am
If any of you use linkedin.com, you are welcome to add me to your network.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 12:52pm
SQA Eng. for a B2B publishing company in Washington, DC.

M3Fan, do I work for you?
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 1:13pm
You might be right Randy. There might not be very many of us here.

BKH, I know how you feel. I used to write code, then did architecture. Now I can't even spell J2EE! At least I get to put my engineering degree to work around the house and boat.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 1:31pm

Did anyone watch the Triumph of the Nerds episodes on the Science channel last night. very interesting. I think it's on again this week.

I really don't fit the "geek" stereotype. At least I don't think I do...

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 3:21pm
There's a difference between a geek and a nerd. A nerd is a socially awkward dork. A geek is someone who is so into something that others sometimes have a hard time relating. For instance... my wife has a hard time relating to my interest in boats. We're all so into CC's that anybody on this site is a geek. To people who don't care about cool boats, we are are strange.

So... you're probably not a nerd. Odds are good you're a geek though.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by dchris17 dchris17 wrote:

If any of you use linkedin.com, you are welcome to add me to your network.

Never heard of linkedin.com- is Tech Darkside your blog?
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 4:34pm
Linkin.com is a professional networking site - you can use it to find people you know, people they know, etc. It's a good way to keep track of colleagues who might be able to help you get a new job or whatever.

TechDarkSide is a blog I started last year. I've written most of it, although a buddy of mine posts anonymously every now and then. I don't have a lot of readers, but I've been able to sell some of the posts to magazines. I use the money to buy tools for remodeling my house, but once I finish my two current projects I get to put the money in my Mustang 17 project.

I've never heard of Triumph of the Nerds. What is it?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 8:56pm

There's a difference between a geek and a nerd. A nerd is a socially awkward dork. A geek is someone who is so into something that others sometimes have a hard time relating. For instance... my wife has a hard time relating to my interest in boats. We're all so into CC's that anybody on this site is a geek. To people who don't care about cool boats, we are are strange.

So... you're probably not a nerd. Odds are good you're a geek though.

Well put! thanks for straightening that out for all of us.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 9:08pm
David, I was talking about a series I watched on the science channel last night it was called "Triumph of the Nerds". It was about the history of the PC and the boom of Silicone Valley. had a lot of interesting info. Had a lot of interview scenes with pioneers like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and the like. A lot of stuff most of us know but it went a little deeper into the starts of the Apple II and the first IBM, the Macintosh, Windows. Pretty cool, even if you are not a geek.

A lot of guys got insanely rich by stealing others ideas. Others could have got rich, but dropped the ball so to speak. pretty interesting to watch while on the laptop working or cruising CCF

Furno View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Furno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2007 at 9:38pm
I'm a Technical Support Manager for a Software company in Detroit. I've done some coding, testing, and lead some projects. I get the most satisfaction from helping customers but I also like the challenge of solving problems.
Andy

'83 2001
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 3:46pm
So that's six of us anyway. We're definitely not taking over the site!
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 6:01pm
Make that seven. I work in IT for a medical software company.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 11:00pm
I'm IT-ish. I am majority owner and president of a small building automation company. I still do a lot of code, networking, troubleshooting of hardware and software, etc.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2007 at 11:24pm
ooooh, were up to eight...

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:03am
We're definitely a minority group.

I wonder how many CCF members are business owners like RainDog?
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
85Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:31am
I work for a software company that has designed software for the restuarant and hospitality industry, we also sell time clocks and time clock software. So I quess I am a geek at least my wife call me that
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:44am

We're definitely a minority group.

I wonder how many CCF members are business owners like RainDog?

I am partners in a small business and I do IT, whatever IT is that day, I do it. IT could be making a sales call, delivering an order, Repairing a printing press, running an embroidery machine, mixing ink, filing paperwork, being Louie the collection guy, kissing vendors asses, yelling at vendors, kissing customers asses, yelling at customer (to myself), being a banker, being a babysitter, fixing a computer, cleaning the bathrooms( I think they miss on purpose), the list goes on. I think every small business owner is certainly an IT guy.   

Loving almost every minute of IT.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 8:57am
Laws of Physics for Small Business Owners:

Sh*t flows uphill.

You do all your primary responsibilities and all of the responsibilities that anyone else failed to do. And when anyone screws up, it always comes to your desk.

I'm not grousing, I have a fantastic crew and surprisingly few problems. Actually, I'm amazed mutiny hasn't happened around here.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 11:47am
Make that 9- Breaking systems supports my boat habit (QA).
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 11:54am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

Laws of Physics for Small Business Owners:

Sh*t flows uphill.

You do all your primary responsibilities and all of the responsibilities that anyone else failed to do. And when anyone screws up, it always comes to your desk.

I'm not grousing, I have a fantastic crew and surprisingly few problems. Actually, I'm amazed mutiny hasn't happened around here.

Same thing applies to IT in a company, or so it seems. Almost every company function involves IT in one way or another, and when other departments throw the ball back at IT, the buck stops here at my desk. Fingers always seem to point to us in almost any project or initiative. We are responsible for problem solving across the company. If nobody else can do it, IT can.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2007 at 10:12pm
I always try to make it my responsibility to stop the flow of crap in either direction. The crap stops here. As a result, I get a lot of crap, but I also don't have to put up with as many excuses.

I once owned a small consulting company (in the .com boom). I was successful for a while, made a lot of money, then lost it all. Now I'm working for the man again. Someday I'll go out on a limb again, when the right thing comes along.

I'm going to get out of IT next year - I'm going to go back to school and get a PhD in business.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic