Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Morse control is loose

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Morse control is loose
    Posted: May-23-2007 at 1:16am
Ever since I bought my Barracuda, the Morse control base has been loose on the side of my boat. It's supposed to be anchored by 3 bolts or screws. They're all in place, but only one is actually holding at all, and I can't get it to tighten.

How are these control lever bases supposed to be anchored? Is it supposed to be screwed to the fiberglass, or is there some kind of anchor behind the fiberglass the screw is supposed to anchor to?

If it's the latter, how am I supposed to get to it? Do you have to cut a hole in the plywood below? If so, where and how can I cut so I don't damage the cables or anything else behind?

Anybody have any suggestions as to how to deal with this little inconvenience?

Thomas
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 1:28am
there should be nuts I think on the back side of the screws.
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 1:35am
Yeah, well, I was afraid of that. So how do you get to them to change these things? Or to replace the nuts that have fallen off?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 4:22am
The side panel may have to be removed but sometimes you can push it in far enough to get to the nuts on the backside. It's a tight area!!

Don't go drilling holes! They go on without the hole you're thinking of drilling and can be tightened the same way.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 8:13am
OK, mine seem to be flapping in the breeze on the backside. As in, there isn't any nut for them to grab onto.

How do you get the side panel out? Mine's covered in carpet currently. Does it screw in around the sides?

Thomas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 8:52am
Thomas, Sounds like the previous owner did a non-original "restoration" with the carpet on the side panels! It is screwed on but now covered over with the carpet. Can you push the side panel in and temporarily put some small blocks to hold the panel back? If the nuts are missing, I have used this trick to get in tight spaces: Put double sided tape on the end of a hacksaw blade and stick the nut on it. Once the nut is started, you will be able to then get a open end wrench on it.

A mirror and lots of light will help plus don't forget to use flat washers and lock washers or flat washers and nylock nuts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 9:33am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If the nuts are missing, I have used this trick to get in tight spaces: Put double sided tape on the end of a hacksaw blade and stick the nut on it. Once the nut is started, you will be able to then get a open end wrench on it.

Pete,

Well live and learn. Someone (I forgot who) said "Intelligence is the ability to function in novel situations."    I'm glad there are some smart guys here who have great pointers.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:26am
Not to thread jack this important discussion, but do they make kits to rebuild these controllers? My 76 SN is so worn, it has no dipression or Neutral position that you can feel anymore... Not a problem for me, but it's hectic for my better half to try to dock this way...

Moj
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Not to thread jack this important discussion, but do they make kits to rebuild these controllers? My 76 SN is so worn, it has no dipression or Neutral position that you can feel anymore... Not a problem for me, but it's hectic for my better half to try to dock this way...

Moj

You sure its the controller itself? I assumed that the little bit of slop I have in the shifting of the throttle was the control, so I took it all apart, cleaned it and regreased it. Without the cables attached, it felt like a brand new piece- snapped and clicked at all the right detents. Reinstalled it and I have the same slop. The real cause must either be in the cable or transmission (most likely the latter). Maybe next year Ill try a new cable and see if it helps.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:49am
Originally posted by The Lake The Lake wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If the nuts are missing, I have used this trick to get in tight spaces: Put double sided tape on the end of a hacksaw blade and stick the nut on it. Once the nut is started, you will be able to then get a open end wrench on it.

Pete,

Well live and learn. Someone (I forgot who) said "Intelligence is the ability to function in novel situations."    I'm glad there are some smart guys here who have great pointers.

Chuck

Chuck, Thanks but I can't take credit for this idea. I think it was years ago that I saw it in Plant Engineering. I have however used the idea several times.
When I was pres. of our local ACBS chapter, I used to write a collum in our news letter called "Pete's tips". I think I wrote 10 tips and then ran out of ideas!! Now I can't even remember them anymore.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 10:56am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by Mojo Mojo wrote:

Moj

You sure its the controller itself? I assumed that the little bit of slop I have in the shifting of the throttle was the control, so I took it all apart, cleaned it and regreased it. Without the cables attached, it felt like a brand new piece- snapped and clicked at all the right detents. Reinstalled it and I have the same slop. The real cause must either be in the cable or transmission (most likely the latter). Maybe next year Ill try a new cable and see if it helps.

Good question??? I'm only assumming the cams or indents are worn out? The controller works smoothly, so I also assume the cable is OK.. Until either breaks, I can live with it...

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 11:02am
Pete, I live by the old saying:
If you don't know surround your self with people that DO......boat dr
" And this my boy is what this site is all about"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic