Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro Tech Engine Timing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Lorenr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorenr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro Tech Engine Timing
    Posted: May-23-2007 at 4:32pm
I just rebuilt the 240 horse 351 in my boat and expect that the only possible problem may be the setting of the timing.

It is a 1992 SN with the pro tech ignition system. When I took it apart I adjusted the timing marks on the timing chain to the "installation position" and marked the distributor housing position to the intake manifold. I then marked the position of the trigger wheel on the distributor before removing it.

I believe that I can just reverse this procedure upon installation to get it started. However, I'm not sure about basic (or initial) timing although I believe it is 10 degrees BTDC.

Am I Correct? Will the Pro Tech ignition adjust itself?

I can't seem to find the procedure or secifications.

Lorenr
Lorenr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorenr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 11:47am
If someone could help me with this question, I would really appreciate it.

Where to get information on the Pro Tech ignition system?

What is the initial timinig supposed to be? If I get this one I'm pretty sure I can do the rest.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Lorenr
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 4:52pm
the owner's manual will have the timing numbers, check the reference section if you dont have the manual
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Lorenr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorenr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 7:17pm
Sorry to be a bother, but I went through a lot of the reference material and could find nothing about initial engine timing.

There is not much that I can find.

I think most of the manuels say take it to a dealer.

Have any of you had any experience with the Pro Tech ignition?
Lorenr
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2007 at 9:30pm
Absolutely none at all, sorry..
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2007 at 12:38am
I don't have my Pro Tech engine manual in front of me so this information might not be 100% so use it cautiously but tyring to help you out on a holiday weekend. I think 8-10 degrees BTDC is about right but you have to turn off the engine first, remove the wire plugged into the knock sensor on the rear port side cylinder head, hook up the timing light, start the engine, and check/adjust the timing. After you turn the engine off be sure and plug back in the knock sensor wire. Hope that helps.

Thanks!
"That's not a Snow Cone that's my Ring!"
Lorenr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorenr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2007 at 11:47am
JR_Vic,

You are unbelieveable. Thank you so much.

That makes sense.

I would imagine that as long as the knock sensor is disconnected, I could set the Initial timing close to 10 degrees BTDC and the Pro Tech would advance the timing until it sees detonation. It would then automatically retard it a couple of degrees.

Maybe the Pro Tech will work fine

Thanks again
Lorenr
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic