Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bad coil pack?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
91sporty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91sporty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bad coil pack?
    Posted: May-29-2007 at 10:41am
I've got a '91 sport nautique with the pro tech ignition system. Boat starts and runs good, but after about 5-10 minutes on the lake it dies, starts back up and continues to die more frequently until it won't really run.
When it dies it's like someone turned the key off.
Sometimes it won't rev over 2000 rpm (sounds like it has a rev limiter)
Has anyone ever experienced this?
Could it be the coil pack?
Please help
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2007 at 11:56am
Welcome to the forum Sporty.

I'm not that familiar with the Pro Tec, but from reading other posts, that ignition system is somewhat suspect after about ten years and finding parts for it are tough. I believe each coil pack runs two cylinders and that could certainly be an issue however I don't know for sure.

I know that SkiDim sells an upgrade kit that eliminates the Pro-Tec and puts in a conventional electronic distributor that others have done on this sight with a lot of success so they would know better than me.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
91sporty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91sporty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 8:59pm
Thanks Backfoot,
I checked that kit and it's $450something, I'd order it in a minute if I new that would fix things. It just sounds like an ignition problem to me but others have said it sounds like a fuel problem.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 9:16pm
FI or carb motor?
91sporty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91sporty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 10:05pm
carb
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2007 at 11:30pm
The ProTech on our Carbed Pro-Boss 93' puked in 04', symptoms where after it warmed up it would not restart until it cooled a bit with the dog house open and also some misfiring at higher RPM's. Call the guy's at SkiDim, they know that Protech system very well if that in fact is the problem.

BTW, the upgrade kit IMO made that motor run stronger than it ever did with the ProTech.

Good Luck

91sporty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91sporty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 12:36pm
Thanks quinner, I'll call Vince.
robsch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2007 at 2:23am

Does anybody know if there is a coil pack converstion for the 454? I didn't see one at skiDIM.

My dealer is having problems finding replacment parts for same (occasionally not firing on a couple of cylinders) and it sounds like these coil packs are just problems waiting to happen.

Thanks,
Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic