Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More top end?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
82 Nautique 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82 Nautique 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:20pm
DYNO'S

Just wondering if anybody has found a Dyno machine that will work on reverse rotation ??

My rebuilder said he could not Dyno my reverse.

Dennis H.
Original Owner " Dennis"

1982 Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2007 at 1:42pm
Common problem unfortuantely, mine is std rot so I am in the clear. I will talk to machine shop about the possibility of reverse, doesnt seem like it would be too hard depending on what the breaking mechanism was.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 8:51pm
Looks like you guys were right. I downsized the jets and gained 200 RPM on top. Running with the motorbox off has no effect, so Im assuming that trick worked before to help lean me out a little.

I called Holley tech to try and get a good starting point. They told me that based on my list number, stock front jets were 65, and the rear plate would flow equivalent to a 66, which surprised me. Supposedly the carb is calibrated without the power valve, which accounts for the similar size front and rear. I chose to try 68 front and 70 rear (coming from 72/82). I didnt have time to plug check or do any further playing, but it looks like Im going in the right direction.

Thanks to everyone for their input!
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Supposedly the carb is calibrated without the power valve, which accounts for the similar size front and rear.

I smell BS, all four throttle bores are identical unlike a 4150G that has smaller secondary bores , on that carb the jets are all the same even without the secondary PV. But your carbs bores are all the same, if he explained how magically that extra gas got in there I'm all ears. I think you got some bad advise and at risk of being too lean on the secondaries.

I didnt have time to plug check

Seems to be a pattern here

Beware some quack at Holley, jeash, he's not going to be any help if you frag the engine.

I don't understand the reluctance to do it right and do one side at a time; you seamed so cautious then wham, wassupwitdat?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-09-2007 at 10:03pm
Gottaski, perhaps youre right- I'll upsize the rear jets next time I run, just to be safe.

Unfortunately, Ive got a lot of projects going at once in order to be ready for Green Lake. The plan is to be in the water and doing the fine tuning before the 4th of July. Today I was preoccupied with my trailer (new lights, wiring and tires). The next few weeks will be spent prepping for the new interior (carpet, glasswork, etc). I havent put 15 hrs on the boat since buying it, so the problem isnt laziness, I assure you- its just a lack of time!

I promise that I will be plug checking and dialing that sucker in as soon as I get the chance! For now, Im just happy that Im going in the right direction- so thanks for all your input.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 12:37am

I havent put 15 hrs on the boat since buying it

11/2005:

Joel: You know Tim, with how smoothly this boat runs, honestly, you could run it for a year and just have fun without doing a darn thing to it, then modify it.

Tim: Oh, I fully plan on holding off on the mods and just having fun for at least a year.

Yeah right!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 8:22am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

11/2005:

Joel: You know Tim, with how smoothly this boat runs, honestly, you could run it for a year and just have fun without doing a darn thing to it, then modify it.

Tim: Oh, I fully plan on holding off on the mods and just having fun for at least a year.

Yeah right!

refering back to that speed disease, I'm afraid it's taken a fatal hold of another one, he will be remembered well while he blasts around the lake at 57mph in inboard heaven at 103db. He will have clear flat water in front and the bows of 3 DNR boston whalers with 40hp outboards in his rear view mirror. He will find peace atlast. Can I have an AMEN.

I'm laughing with you Tim not at you. Have a ball.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 10:03am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

11/2005:

Yeah right!

Hmmm... seems you caught me. It all started with the DUI when the ignition module quit and its been all downhill since then. The lack of water time has not been due to the engine upgrades though- Ill blame last year's poor showing on the unexpected floor project and August business travel!

Alan, I take comfort in the fact that Im not alone in my suffering- its good to have a support group here. 57mph sure sounds good to me- but I doubt the '90 will ever get there. The next one might though
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 1:48pm
Tim,

What happened to the blower solution that I suggested? Is that on the back burner? I think you'd push more RPM's with that little monkey.

Ken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic