NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Speedo’s not working

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speedo’s not working
    Posted: June-01-2007 at 12:01pm
Ok, only getting a little movement out of each one. I have dual Airguide 725's. Original pitot's. I have taken off both pitot's and cleaned them. I not yet resorted to putting air in any of the lines. Where should I start next?

This install does not appear to have the bleeder system installed.

Trouble shooting tells me to blow out the lines. Do I do this from the speedo side? And do I disconnect from the stabilizer?

I have the back panel off so I can see the tubes are hooked up to the stabilizer.

Thanks
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 12:22pm
I would disconnect both sides and blow it out.Are the pitots the orginal to the boat?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 12:43pm
Ultra, Are you in a part of the country that freezes? I have seen trapped water in the stablizer freeze and break them open.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 12:44pm
These are the original pitot's.

Should I blow out through the stabilizer, or disconnect from the speedo and and the output side of the stabilizer. Or leave connected to the stabilizer?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 12:46pm
The boat has been in the north country when in storage. I'll pull of the stabilizers and inspect them. Can they be damaged by blowing them out?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 12:51pm
Ultra, You can blow in them without damage since they are simply hollow brass tubes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 1:06pm
Thanks 8122...Headed down there now. I'll pull 'em off the bulkhead and inspect them. The boat sat for quite some time, so I wouldn't be surprise if they're clogged up.

Ultra
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2007 at 6:20pm
I know that blowing them out is common but be careful. We had similar issues with our speedos over the years and the marina would always use air compressor to blow them out. I would always ask them if that could hurt the boat or damage anything. They always told me no.

Well, 2 summers ago was the last time and the trouble began. We were plagued with problems. Apparently, the shot of high pressure air blew out the bottom end of one of the stabilizers. The slow leak resulted in dead batteries, burned out bilge pumps, condesation on the motor, etc. We thought is was a bad cover (replaced), cracked exhaust pipe (replaced), through hull fittings, Muffler covers (replaced), intake houses (replaced). See were I'm going?

After some beer this weekend my brother gets a wild hair and wants to see whats behind the gas tank. BINGO...he finds the leak.

I would recommend to always inspect them after using high pressure air when cleaning them out.

By the way, were can I get a new stabilizer?
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 1:23am
Did you clean out the pitots with a little needle ? That got mine working. Dan
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2007 at 8:03am
Originally posted by DeepCreekNauti DeepCreekNauti wrote:

Apparently, the shot of high pressure air blew out the bottom end of one of the stabilizers.

After some beer this weekend my brother gets a wild hair and wants to see whats behind the gas tank. BINGO...he finds the leak.

I would recommend to always inspect them after using high pressure air when cleaning them out.

By the way, were can I get a new stabilizer?

Deep Creek, From what you have said, I'll bet the stabilizer was freeze damaged and the air just "helped" the end come off. The stabilizer is a copper tube similar to the copper water piping and can handle a fair amount of pressure. However, I wouln't go crank up the compressor past 100psi.

The stabilizer can be easily made from copper pipe, reducing couplings and threaded adapters. Then compression fittings to match the pitot tubing. Make sure you use the brass sleeves on the fittings that fit inside of the pitot tubing. They are made for the soft tubing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
85Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 10:00am
Should I Clear the speedo lines from the pickups or at the dash. I hope that I can do it from the pickups
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 11:22am
85, If you can, I would blow from both directions. Once you think they are clear, I would attach the speedo end and connect the pitot end to the air supply. Using a pressure regulator starting at 0 psi turn the pressure up to say 45 mph and check for leaks. It would be ideal if you could valve off the air leaving the gauge inline and see if you loose any psi over time.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 11:44am
I am sorry can you break it down to dumb for me

I do not have a pressure regulator - can i use just basic hand tools to get the thing working I have one that work's but the water i run in gets thick with grass
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 12:21pm
85, Without a source of compressed air, I really don't know how to clean out the pitot tubing. Maybe you can get a small wire in one end but it won't go very far.The replacement tubing is available from marine supplys and isn't that expensive. I just replaced mine on my 77 Tique.
I'm also sorry to say that I don't know how to keep the weeds from the lake out of the pitot ether.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 6:09pm
Be very carefull when using compessed air. There is a previous thread which suggests a bicycle pump, which, I used and it cleared the line and also was able to test the repair I made on the frost crack in the speedo.
CCrider89
Boating in the northern Adirondacks
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 7:26pm
CCrider89 did you go from the dash or from the back or from the pick ups? is it easy to remove the tubes from the speedos them self.
CCrider89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrider89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 11:09pm
I went from the dash. Very easy to get to on my 89. Slide your seat all the way back and lift the passenger seat. Slide underneath and bring a flash light with you. The tube is held on with a nut but it is very lightly threaded (5/16" I think). There are actually no threads on the speedo out tube, only barbs. We disconnected the pito pick up to test the air through just the tube and then my son blocked the tube at the stern with his thumb and I sucked on the tube under the dash to check for leaks creating a vaccum, you can tell if there is a leak if you loose vaccum. We reconected the pitot and blew the line with the bicycle pump.
Cleared it all out and no leaks on either line.
CCrider89
Boating in the northern Adirondacks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 4:45am
Originally posted by CCrider89 CCrider89 wrote:

Be very carefull when using compessed air. There is a previous thread which suggests a bicycle pump, which, I used and it cleared the line and also was able to test the repair I made on the frost crack in the speedo.

Yes, do be carefull. This is why I have already stated to use a pressure regulator starting at 0 psi. I seem to recall that 20 psi will give you a 50 mph reading on the speedo.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 9:39am
I use compressed air from the speedo end (after disconnecting from the speedo). My friend (who does not have an air compressor) uses the "canned air" designed to dust off your computer. He says it works great. I strongly recommned against using compressed air toward the speedo unless the pressure lines are disconnect first.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 10:58am
So I think I am going to try ro diconnect the line from the dash and pickup and use some compressed air to clean out the line.

Wish me luck

I had nothing but 5mph in the right side speedo

I hope this work's
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 11:32am
Just make sure the pitot is cleared first and back down the pressure you use. If not careful, you can pop a line off a fitting (may not leak becuase the pitot will still be clogged). Old clogs can be hard as a rock.

Why not disconnect the line from the pitot and make sure the pitot is clear before going any further.

Too much pressure against a clogged line might cuase the (old) line to rupture and then you have a task on your hands.

IMHO: the flow trough pitot design is much better and easier to unclog than the old style Airguide pitot. I believe Skidim sells the flow through pitot. the same mounting holes on the transom can be used, so no new drilling required (you only use two of the three holes on the new pitot, I believe).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic