NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

cracked exhaust

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cracked exhaust
    Posted: August-24-2007 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by p/allen p/allen wrote:

Except A&B are backwards and your arrows for J&I are running the wrong way. Warm engine water goes through H&G out of the manifolds through J&I back under the thermo to have hot water go out D&E to cool the top of the exhaust a little more, then out or ,reciculated back through F into the block .

Fixed it. Thanks for correcting me!
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2007 at 1:13am
Nice job on that Tim .
Except A&B are backwards and your arrows for J&I are running the wrong way. Warm engine water goes through H&G out of the manifolds through J&I back under the thermo to have hot water go out D&E to cool the top of the exhaust a little more, then out or ,reciculated back through F into the block .

Tim D To answer your ? I dont know . This is the way I bought it .

The only thing that was probably wrong with the pump was probably the seal . I was running out of time , so I bought a new pump .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 7:55pm
Is there any advantage to that set up? Looks like it would be alot easier to let the RWP pull water through the tranny cooler and then to the engine.
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 4:27pm
Pat, my next project may have this same motor so I thought I would bring this thread back up. I believe you fixed your cooling problem with a new RWP, correct? I think you said the old one was sucking air.

I took a look at the cooling diagram from another post:

In trying to understand it, I attempted to simplify the diagram. Hopefully this is correct:

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 11:02pm
Reid , I did receive the coupler . It will work great . My old one was 10 thou wider at the back than the front . Thanks again !!

My impeller never broke any ears off and I replaced this one new last year . I took off all the hoses and checked all the pasage ways for blockage .
I called Vince at Ski DIM this afternoon . He gave me several things to look for . The thing that really sticks in my mind is that he said the seal in the raw water pump could be sucking in air even though it does not leak water . Now I am looking for a seal kit for my sherwood pump . But I dont know what the model number is .

Joe ,I asked Vince about the cracked manifold senario . He said it could happen, although probably not in my case . I did run a test to see if it is cracked , and I believe it isn't.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 8:41pm
If I were a betting many I'd bet it on what JasonR added above. Coincidentally we've seen the same problem on several boats in the last year. Any line/hose downstream of the impeller is suspect. The impeller bits will flow up an lodge in the next smaller housing or neck. We've got the same Conquerer engine package in a 351 and the exhausts stay really hot but we haven't gotten around to diagnosing it yet, but that's what I'm looking for. Also, and what might not be your issue, I've had what looked like a good impeller from a visual inspection of the impeller still in the pump, but when I finally pulled it out after initiallly dismissing it as the culprit, I found the vanes torn to pieces on the bottom side of the impeller. I just couldn't see it.

Pat, hopefully you rec'd the shaft coupling from me. If not it should be there any day, and I apologize for it taking so long.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

JasonR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 5:54pm
I had a overheat problem at cruise that went away at idle. When I bought the boat the prev. owner said that the impeller went out and he replaced it with a new one so I didn't think it was the culprit. After a full weekend of messing with thermostats and everything else I took the pump apart again for the 10th time and let the lake side hose fall into the bilge (I did do this before because it let water into the bilge). To my suprise a bunch of rubber impellar chunks came out. I checked the vains on the lake side of the pump (jasco) and found a bunch of pieces stuck in it. Problem fixed
'86 2001 800hrs
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 8:53am
Yes an exhaust water leak can cause you to overheat, care to tell us what you have already changed and ruled out in diagnosing the problem?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 11:58pm
thanks Alan for your support . Here are some pics.

Complicated hosing . I would not be able to describe it to you on a key board.

engine - thermo electron concurer crusader
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 11:30pm
Guys we need to put our heads together and get Pat some help, he's been fighting this overheating problem for a while. I'm not familiar with his cooling system so I'm little help.

He said if it's not fixed by Green lake he's gonna show up in a Bayliner. This is mission critical now!!!
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2007 at 8:28pm
Could a cracked exhaust manifold, on the inside , cause an engine to over heat ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic