NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

push rods

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: push rods
    Posted: June-04-2007 at 8:49pm
Just wanted to poll everyone and see what they say for push rod lengths for a stock 351W motor. I know Allan said he used 8.187 which was what he removed. Just courious to see if Tim and Jr. Vic used the same length.

Need to order some for the new heads and would like to have them on hand but may have to measure them and then order the push rods after the heads are mounted.

thanks

well here's some info that I've found so far, jegs list it as 8.150, summit list it as 8.200 and Allens where 8.187
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 7:31am
According to the Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog, I believe the M-6565-M332 pushrods would be the stock replacement. They say they should fit "1978-93 351W stamped steel and most roller rockers." Dimensions are .312" diameter and 8.182 length.

Im still using my stock pushrods with my GT40p's. I never measured them, so Im not much help there. The heads were milled (just to flatten them) when I had the valve job done. With the new FRPP pedestal roller rockers, I was able to set the proper preload by shimming. One or 2 valves only needed .030" shims, most needed the .060" shims, and a few needed both.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 8:53am
Chris,

The stock that came out were 8.187 but after measuring I went with 8.156 and still needed some .030 shims on all but 3 valves. Doesn't make sense going shorted and still having to shim but with the head change that what I came up with after measuring twice.

With that said, I don't think I've got them right as I have a very slight clatter that I don't like. Now that I've got a few hours on the engine once I get the time I'm going to check lifter preload again and this winter I may change to an adjustable valve train. Should have spent the money while I had it apart but atleast I'll have another project for the off season.

For a backyard mechanic like me some of these issues take a couple of tries to get it right.
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 9:15am
I second TRBenj, I just got finished building my 351 with "p" heads. I had them milled just to insure them to be straight and flat. I used stock Melling push rods (stock length) and just shimmed the rockers in need.

Tim J
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 9:49am
Originally posted by racintj racintj wrote:

I second TRBenj, I just got finished building my 351 with "p" heads. I had them milled just to insure them to be straight and flat. I used stock Melling push rods (stock length) and just shimmed the rockers in need.

I wouldnt say my approach was the best one- but it works well enough and saved me a little bit of money. If I planned to stay with this set up permanantly (or had at least splurged on new pushrods), I would have gotten closer to the proper length like Alan did.

Chris, I believe you had some work done to your existing DO0E heads- what did that involve? Milling? Did you have them set up for stud mount rockers?
wannabeSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannabeSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 3:49pm
Definately measure, I made that mistake once, cost me valve guides.
96 Camaro SS #1157
84 Ski Nautique, fat sacks, fly high pole
06 LF Fish 125
06 LF PS3 137
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 5:45pm
Well at one point or time I'm sure they where milled some the chambers are to small for them not to have been. I have stud mount roller rockers and I'm leaning towards 8.200 push rods, comps camps say 8.150 and the +.050 is what they say to use. My big question is if I realy even need to get to concerned about the length and if I do how to measure with out the rockers on to get them right.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Well at one point or time I'm sure they where milled some the chambers are to small for them not to have been. I have stud mount roller rockers and I'm leaning towards 8.200 push rods, comps camps say 8.150 and the +.050 is what they say to use. My big question is if I realy even need to get to concerned about the length and if I do how to measure with out the rockers on to get them right.

Chris,
I'd call Scott at Cam Research and ask him what to use. He knows these Fords pretty good. Give him the cam specs and rocker arm info and I'm sure he'll know what to use. He can provide them also but you may find them elsewhere cheaper.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 6:15pm
I'm going to call my machinist and ask him pretty sure he said stock length .085" wall push rods and it seems that you guys are shimming almost all of them anyway so the 8.200 hi-tech comps cams rods are most likely what I will use.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 7:06pm

I have stud mount roller rockers and I'm leaning towards 8.200 push rods, comps camps say 8.150 and the +.050 is what they say to use. My big question is if I realy even need to get to concerned about the length and if I do how to measure with out the rockers on to get them right.

The stud mounted rockers should be fully adjustable- so I dont think pushrod length is crucial. Youre probably fine with whatever you choose.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 7:59pm
well this is what i'l be doing I guess

comp cams artical
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 7:50am

well this is what i'l be doing I guess

comp cams artical

I stand corrected. I guess theres no way to know what you need until you bolt them up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 8:08am
Good article Chris,
Since we're on the subject, any recommendations on what I should go with for rockers after the season? Is there anything that would work well with pedestal mount or do I need to bite the bullet and pull the heads and have studs installed.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 8:41am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Since we're on the subject, any recommendations on what I should go with for rockers after the season? Is there anything that would work well with pedestal mount or do I need to bite the bullet and pull the heads and have studs installed.

Stud mounts are nice, as they are adjustable- which makes setting preload much easier. Theyre also stronger (3/8" or 7/16" studs vs. 5/16" bolts on the pedestals). However, the extra cost to have the heads machined, new head gaskets, guideplates, etc is not insignificant. I considered both options when I got my heads, and decided to stick with the pedestals, as theyre plenty strong for our application- in the broad scheme of things we're not making crazy hp or turning outrageous RPM's.

I have the Ford Racing pedestal mount RR's, which Ive heard were built by Crane. Crane makes some pretty nice stuff. JoeinNY has a set of Scorpions, which Ive also heard good things about.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 8:48am
Tim,

Are you saying that if I want adjustable I HAVE to go stud mount. There's no adjustables available for pedestal mount?

Did you go with 1.7 ratio on your motor?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 9:19am

Tim,

Are you saying that if I want adjustable I HAVE to go stud mount. There's no adjustables available for pedestal mount?

I dont know of any pedestal mounts that are adjustable- if they exist theyre probably rare/expensive. All the ones Ive seen require shims to adjust preload.

I stuck with stock ratio rockers (1.6). Im not sure Id benefit from 1.7's, as the P heads dont gain much flow over .500 of lift. My cam is .490/.490 with the 1.6's, so 1.7's would have put me at .521/.521. I figured that might have killed my low end without helping up top, plus I wasnt sure if they would fit under my valve covers.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 9:38am

Tim,

Thats what I have found, when they say adjustable pedestal mount that usually means they included the shim kit I have not seen pedestal mount that adjust other than that.

I have 1.6 ratio pedastal mount scorpions on my 302, and was very happy with the quality. They are however huge and you must be very careful with valve covers, especially around the top center mounting embossment. I have also heard that most of the other rollers are quieter than the scorpions... this is not an area of concern for me typically.

On the 408 I went with aftermarket heads that already have studs and guideplates installed and bought a new set of 1.6 scorpion stud mount adjustable rr that were about 200 shipped of ebay.

My engine should be at the speed shop for dyno testing early next week and I am having them measure for and install pushrods and will let the forum know what ones they use, however as mentioned earlier it is very engine specific.

-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JR_VIC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR_VIC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 11:16pm
I will look on my Cam Research receipt or call them as I can not remember exactly what length mine are. I do know the first set of push rods they sent were about an 1/8" too long. They in turn sent me a new set that were the same length as the stock push rods. These new push rods are fat (diameter) suckers. Hope that helps...

Thanks!
"That's not a Snow Cone that's my Ring!"
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 8:15am
Crane makes a conversion kit; the studs screw right into the 5/16 boss with no machining. It then becomes a fully adjustable stud. Guideplates come with the kit as well, so you can run adjustable roller rockers. I will try to add the link. If the link doesn't work, just look at Cranes site under Ford products. Hope this helps.

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=2&prt=24&action=partSpec&partNumber=36656-16

Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 8:29am
conversion kit

Thanks for the link , I'll have to do a little more research before deciding what to do.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 1:13am

conversion kit

Thanks for the link , I'll have to do a little more research before deciding what to do.

well unless your going to replace your cam with a roller cam then don't waiste your money read the short description states for roller cam's only.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 7:05am

conversion kit

well unless your going to replace your cam with a roller cam then don't waiste your money read the short description states for roller cam's only.

I did read further and it looks like it will work for hydraulic flat tappet cams as well but I don't think this is where I'm headed anyway. They're not truely adjustable, they come with shims.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic