Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery exploded ! Need explanation.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery exploded ! Need explanation.
    Posted: June-04-2007 at 9:16pm
Ok, so my selonoid relay was out yesterday but I fixed it. Before I fixed it I hooked up my Chevy Silverado Napa 77O cca starting battery to the boat while my other one was charging.I used my truck battery while I was trying to start my boat with the relay/selonoid that was bad. I tried to start it about 20 times & gave up. I put the battery back in my truck & fixed my boat later & installed the boat battery back in. Today driving my truck with the Napa battery everthing was fine on the way to work. Later I went somewere & the battery was almost dead. It was unjumpable. Took it back to Napa & they said their tester said it was good & fully charged. They said my cable might be bad. I knew they were wrong. So me & my boss were putting the Napa battery back in & it still was bad. The lights would barely come on. I was turing the key & my boss wiggled the ground cable to see if the connection was bad & the battery exloded. It sounded like a pop & the top of the battery blew a 4 inch hole it the top. One of the caps flew off also. Parts flew 40 feet from my truck & my boss got acid on his arms. He is ok cause we had an ozarka water case in his car & none got on his face. Did the bad relay/selonoid energize the battery or pressurize it some how ? I will never mess with a battery now without caution. Sorry so long, Dan
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 9:21pm
You had an excess of gas built up in the top of the battery and when it sparked at the cable it ignited the gas, read the warning label states very clearly that it might explode
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 10:42pm
Yeah I used to think nothing of those warnings myself but then I saw my dad pull off a charger wire and send a battery flying across the basement. Hydrogen goes boom, be careful all...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 11:01pm
Just seems strange . New battery ,full charge reading , explodes after the bad relay attempted start.Everthing cheched out on the Napa tester but it wouldn't start the truck. I bought another brand and it started fine.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2007 at 11:24pm
sulfated battery most likely, I only realy like to use AC/Delco batteries anyway most other brands are junk with the exception of about two other brands.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 4:32am
Dans, It to me doesn't sound like using the truck battery in the boat to try the relay had anything to do with the explosion. You must have had a bad connection at the battery because you said the lights would barely come on on the truck and then when your boss wiggled the ground wire it sparked igniting the hydrogen gas. I too have seen a battery explode and yes you must respect them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 7:26am
Once one explodes on you, you tend to approach batteries in a different way, I kept warning my nephew because you can smell the gases when charging or jumping, it exploded and scared the sh out of him, now i watch him and he will hook up the cables then plug the charger in, he is much more careful
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 11:48pm
usually when it explodes like that it has been over charged for a long period of time and boiled the battery causing it to gas out or build up excessive gases in the top of the battery.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 6:54am
I found this to be an interesting read on the topic: Exploding Batteries
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 8:32pm
    I had our Case 680 loader backhoe that had a back connection at the top post, so I used a screwdriver to bridge the post while cranking it. The battery while looking at it blew up. Acid and pieces of battery in my face wasnt fun. while at the hospital, my clothes started to rot off. Moral of the story is wear eye protection!!!

Jeff....
79Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 12:00am
On this topic, I noticed that the battery box on my 79 Tique dosent have ventalation. Just has a little hole with a hose it in that lets water from the bilge pool around the bottom of the battery. Do most of you have vented battery spots on your boats?
Work to live, not live to work.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 12:57am
Originally posted by 79Tique 79Tique wrote:

On this topic, I noticed that the battery box on my 79 Tique dosent have ventalation. Just has a little hole with a hose it in that lets water from the bilge pool around the bottom of the battery. Do most of you have vented battery spots on your boats?

isn't the whole top of the box open, isn't it just basicly a hole in the floor without a lid. No vent needed if that is the case.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 10:18am
Wow, I thought those warnings were something that were never likely to happen. I guess eye protection, and standing back are good precautions. Some of these batteries are up under the bow, (on Malibus anyway). Pretty bad palce to have one blow up.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 11:00am
Way back when I was working at Watercraft Sales, one of the yard jockeys was replacing a battery in a 60's CC The battery was under the front seat without much room for battery height. The marine batterys in those days came with studs cast into the top of the standard lug. Because of the height resriction the lugs had to be cut off. Our jard man had just pulled the fresh battery off the charging rack, was cutting off the studs with a hack saw and touched (shorted) both terminals. I was accross the room when it exploded and knew what had happened. I ran and grabbed him, guided him out to the end of the gas pier and threw him in the lake. Later the doctor said that the quick flushing of his eyes may have saved his eyesight.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 11:39am
So, how do you avoid having one blow up, or is it sort of like a lottery, and when it's your time, it your time?

I've often used the spark test to see how much juice there was. I guess not a good idea.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I've often used the spark test to see how much juice there was. I guess not a good idea.

I would absolutely say that the spark test is a very bad idea. It must have been someones grandfather who thought it up and then passed it on! Unless the battery is compleatly dead, you can't tell from a spark what the condition is anyway. No sparks guys.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 12:08pm
Pete, I resent the remark to Billy Bobs Grandfather.You could have used some other name sake..............billy[ boat dr]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 12:25pm
Doc, I'm really sorry and in no way ment to offend you nor was it a refference to your skills. I went back in to my post and edited it out. I and so many others respect your contributions to this site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 12:57pm
Pete, just a stab at you , no offense taken.
The Reverend Jesse and Al Sharpton are looking for a shot on late nite TV,Oh I forgot Billy Bob is WHITE..........ha ha
Gonne929 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gonne929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 9:04am
dans,
Did you ever check out the charging system on your Silverado? Typically if you are venting enough gas to cause an explosion it is usually due to overcharging/overtemperature. A quick check is to put a voltmeter on the battery with the engine off. Record voltage, it should be around 12.0 volts. Start the truck record voltage should be around 14.0 volts. With the engine running turn on all of the accerories (lights, A/C, fan blower speed on high ect.) record the voltage. If at any time you see any sustained voltages over 14.5 (typically)volts you are overcharging your battery.
You have probably done this but if you have not it is such an easy check you might as well do it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic