Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Falkmans Teak Swim Platform

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
falkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Falkmans Teak Swim Platform
    Posted: June-06-2007 at 3:45pm
Like to share some pictures of my newly made Teak Platform for my Nautique -78.

Made from 100x30mm teak "planks". Glued and screwed.

Cheers!

Ski Nautique 1975!
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 4:34pm
Very nice work. BKH
Livin' the Dream

69 Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 10:22pm
Johan,

Looks great! ser stor, skön craftsmanship - did I say that right?

Mike
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937
falkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 5:20am
Thanks,

I understand what you mean 69Mustang,

I'm a bit nervous about the glue+teak. But it will prob hold together beacause I also screwd every plank from the underside. I try to post some more pics when it's mounted on the Nautique.

Bye for now,

/Johan
Ski Nautique 1975!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 6:18am
Johan, It sure looks better than one you could purchase!

The only glue I would trust with the oily teak is a moisture cure polyurethane. I know Sika makes several and I do think they are based in your country. What glue did you use?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
falkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 6:56am
Yes, I've heard of that glue. But I also heard that newly sanded/planed planks could be glued with "regular" epoxy. I hope so...

It seems that it has glued toghether fairly good, test peaces rips away "chunks" of wood when I hammered it apart.

But that's the reason I drilled+screwed it as well.

Here's a pic of the brackets, made in "regular" non-corrosive stainless steel that I will paint with epoxiprimer before mounting.

Just one last worry, I will mount with through going bolts in the stern. Could this harm the stern? I will also use large peaces of steel plates on the "inside" of the stern to make the pressure go over a larger area.
Ski Nautique 1975!
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 8:37am
Beautiful Deck! I'm sure it will be fine judging by the way you have it fastened together. Very nice job! That will last forever!

I've actually had success using "Gorilla Glue" on a potion of my platform that was abused by previous owner.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 9:05am
Walt, Gorilla glue is a moisture cure polyurethane. Great stuff but way over priced. Next time you need glue, try Elmers Ultimate. Same stuff but less $.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 1:32am
shouldn't be an issue thru bolting just be carefull on the two outter braces and the lower mounting hole's you might not be able to thru bolt then as they maybe to low. this is the way mine are there are lag screws in those to hole's. This was all done by the PO so you might be able to take some measurement to make sure they will go thru without hitting anything.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 2:23am
Great job guys...I thought the only things that came from Sweden were Meatballs and blonds!
falkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 4:19am
Link to my "reupholstery" link

Well, the blondes and the meatballs are dope aswell as some of "our" Nautiques..

Especially at graduation time, half naked blondes running around everywere here at the moment.
Ski Nautique 1975!
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 12:00pm
Pete,

Thanks for the tip on the glue.

Falkman,

Half naked blondes running around everywhere??? Geez, and it's taking 3 - 4 months to get a passport over here....
falkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 4:16pm
Mounting ready, the result:

Comments?

Holds atleast 85+ bouncing kg!
Ski Nautique 1975!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 9:11pm
Nice job. Better than you could buy.
Jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 12:41am
Looks great. I am a wood working during the winter and can appreciate quality. One word of advice - be carefull of cross grain joints were two pieces of wood join together with perpendicular grain. When you heavily glue and screw/nail then they will split. Although I am not experienced with teak (other than on my boat) other wood will defiently split due to shrinking and expansion. I believe our steps are put together with bolts that run the width of the platform to hold everything together with not so much runners and screws/glue. I may be wrong but don't be suprised if you get a little splitting. You can combat this by sealing every inch of surface area and keeping it well sealed. By the way I use to be a big fan of Gorrilla Glue (polyurethane) untill a recent article in a leading trade mag. did a test on all the different types of glue and poly came out dead last, even to the yellow generic elmers carpenter glue you find. You did a good thing by going with epoxy.
falkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 2:52am
Thanks Jason,

I was actually thinking of going with trough going bolts but ended up not. Maybe if I see some small splitting Ill add the bolts?`

/J.
Ski Nautique 1975!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 5:31am
Jason, What leading trade magazine did you see the test of glues in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 8:51pm
Fine Woodworking August 2007 #192. You can read the article here
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/fw_currentissue.asp
falkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2007 at 2:41pm
Just like to share som more pics.. Know you like it.. ;-)

Ski Nautique 1975!
rudderdad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rudderdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2007 at 2:23pm
Now that is a clean and classy ride maintained with pride!
rudderdad
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2007 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by falkman falkman wrote:

Especially at graduation time, half naked blondes running around everywere here at the moment.

How about posting some of those pics!!!! Get with the program like MM and Thephantomkaw!!!!

Sorry, got carriedaway there. The platform and your ride look awesome Falkman. That sucker should be able to suck a blonde off a dock at a hundred yards easy!!!!!!

We want more pics!!!!!!

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2007 at 4:57pm
Sorry, I meant 92 Meters or whatever the hell the metric equivalent is of a hundred yards.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
falkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 10:53am
Ok,

The blondes has somehow not been showing off much lately.. Maybe when the temp gets a little hotter again..

Some more pics from yesterday, first time wakeboarding after the TOWER!!.. And it seems to hold!

Seems to be something wrong with the pic upload function..

/J.

Ski Nautique 1975!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic