Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Glassing Stringers?????

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glassing Stringers?????
    Posted: June-06-2007 at 6:44pm
I have all of my stringers in and put a layer of e-glass on last night.

Tonight I checked out how it looks and planned on putting another layer on. The problem is there are a few noticable air pockets in the glass.

What should I do next? Keep fiberglassing or sand off the spots where the air pockets are and re glass it.

Thanks
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 7:14pm
grind out the bad spots reglass the reglass over everthing a second time just besure when you apply the glass to roll it out better so you don't have any airpockets.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 9:05am
That is what I thought but was hoping it wasnt a big deal.

How many layers of glass should I put on the primary stringers?
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 4:36pm
Maybe work in smaller batches so that you can control air pockets. I just tore my floor out of my 2001 only to find soggy wood and foam! I will be taking it up to TN to have a very experienced guy replace them.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 7:31pm
it's not how many layers it more matching the thickness that is all ready there, depending on the glass used it might be three or four layers or it could be 10-12 layers.
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 9:33am
Leo, You are correct. I tried to do a large area and it was just too much to keep the air pockets out.

79, I am a little confused by your comment. It was new bare wood. Now it is has one layer of fiberglass on it. I want to know how many layers of fiberglass the stringers should have when I am completley finished, not what it will take to fill my air bubble mistakes.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-08-2007 at 10:11am
Jon, not sure if this helps but I used 3 layers of glass (epoxy mat-cloth-mat) on my secondary stringer. If youre using similar materials, I might be inclined to go a little more on the primary stringers- maybe 5. DavidF instructed me to always start and end with mat.

Snap some pics, we'd love to see how its coming along.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic