NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb rebuild and prevent bad gas

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb rebuild and prevent bad gas
    Posted: June-10-2007 at 4:50pm
I just spent a weekend suffering through either water in fuel or trash in carb. I ran out of gas (first time) got a can fuel refilled and had troubles. It was obvious the carb was flooding, so no idle. I used up the gas with some cleaner, dryer and added new fuel and all ran well after that. Enough of that. I want to avoid this. I have a 1972 Skier with the thermo electron engine, a 351 Ford motor with a Holley four barrel, I beleive its a 600 cfm. The carb is not clarified in my book and the normal tag is missing. Here are the questions:
1. Rebuild kits for carb, does it matter that it is a boat motor?
2. Water filter system, I don't have one, should I had one, do they work?
3. Better filters for fuel trash, recommendaions?
4. New or rebuilt carb, recommendations?
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 5:23pm
The list number is located on the front of the carb on the airhorn (top). Summit sells rebuild kits for these Holley marine carburetors (approx. 30 bucks). I'd get a water separating fuel filter and add it on. It uses a replacable spin on filter that will both filter and separate water (until it gets saturated) from the fuel. You can bolt the housing of the filter to one of your engine stringers.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 7:21am
Thanks the list is 50419 with a date code of 0687. That tells me this carb did not come on this boat. Replaced in 1987 I'm guessing.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 8:06am
I got bad gas (water) in my '88 PCM 240 a few years ago. The problems were intermitent, and varied from poor low end to high end perfomrance. After trying to diagnose the problem for a week, I finally ordered a rebuild kit from DIM. Vince was right on when he said Holley's don't like water, especially when they get old. The rebuild kit does not come with floats, so you got to order those in addition to the kit.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 5:34pm
Water should not hurt the floats. The main problem with water is that it will eventually corrode the inside of the carb and then no amount of rebuilding will solve the flooding out at idle as the corrosion particles foul the needle seat (almost immediately after the rebuild). Once started the corrosion will not stop even in absense of water.

I suppose water can get trapped in the carb somewhere (a known issue with PWC carbs). But simple ingesting a slug of water should not immediately cause the rich idle problem. Trash in the carb would, but your filter should have stopped it from getting to the carb. The problem showing up after the "bad" can of gas could have been coincidental.

Give the rebuild a shot. If you find internal corrosion (white powdery stuff) then stop, throw the carb in the trash, return the rebuild kit and get a new or gently used marine carb.

PS: All of the above happened to me at one time. Spent 2 seasons trying to rebuild the internall corroded carb multiple times, always the same result after a couple uses. Gently used carb off Ebay solved the problem. Yes, I know how to rebuild a carb, so that was not the problem.
jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 6:06pm
I agree the filter should have stopped the trash but apparently it did not. There may have been water in gas but that's hard to prove. The floats should be fine and there are easy test for leakage on floats. It was obvious in looking at the carb during shut down and start up gas was literally dripping into the secondaries. Presumably something stopped the float from closing the opening. A rebuild will replace seals. I have very good records from previous owner the carb was replaced in 1987, rebuilt in 99. So another rebuild 8 years later would make sense.

I plan to add a water filter for the fuel system and a better fuel filter as well. I'll check for those white things once I get a kit, they're backordered. Boat runs great now, I used a water removal additive and a carb cleaner additive along with a fresh tank of gas.
Dominique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 11:14pm
Hello, Also have carb problems, have a 1988 Domnique, with a 330hp 454 Holley list #80262.Rebuilt the carb 10 years ago, and time to do it again. Tried Summit with application and had no luck. Any ideas?
                  Dominique
Dominique "Nobody's Business"
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 1:41am
rex marine is where I got my holley renew kit.
jborzak View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jborzak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 6:52am
Try the link below
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RN0118-1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic