Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Ski AirGuide Pitot Speedo Assembly ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
80Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980 Ski AirGuide Pitot Speedo Assembly ?
    Posted: June-11-2007 at 2:38pm
Hey Guys! I have a 1980 Ski Nautique, Ford 351W marinized by Commander. Am running new speedo tubing, and putting 2 new pitot pick-up tubes on, all of which I bought from SkiDIM. When I removed the old speedo tubing and pitot pickup from the starboard side, I found this black rod which the tubing connects to before it exits the back of the boat and to the pitot pickup. This same black rod was NOT on the port side, I guess because that side speedometer was one of the old paddle-wheel styles.

My question is, what is this thing, and do I need to reconnect it to my new tubing and pickup ?? Maybe just something Commander used, or possibly an AirGuide thing? Anyhow, hopefully it's not necessary because I don't have an extra one lying around for the port side !!!

Thanks In Advance For Your Advice/Help/Guidance!!!   Chris.

**** Tubing is VERY Dirty !! 27 years worth !!

*** Rod does not have any markings on it ***

**** P.S. THANKS to Randy in Ohio for the POST on how to upload pictures !! Couldn't have done it w/o you Randy!!
1980 Ski Nautique , Ford 351W Commander, BW Velvet Drive 1:1

Dayton Ohio
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 3:32pm
Equalizer tube and yes it is required for that type of speedo. Do a post in the parts wanted, someone will have one for you.
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 3:34pm
80...Im doing the same thing you are doing now, I was told that it stays full of water, I dont know why, but I dont think you have to have it, Im going to keep mine on that side and run steight tub on the other side!
Welcome to the site!    
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 3:41pm
Chris & MM, Without the stabilizer, the speedo is going to be bouncing all over the place. I think it would be a good idea to put one in. They can be made with copper pipe an sweat solder fittings.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 4:12pm
Thanks for the info !! Is what MM heard true , do you fill it with water ?? How does the water stay in there ?

Also, how would you make one out of copper ??

I'm suprised SkiDIM doesn't have something like this. I guess it's not really a replacement item though, looks like it should last indefinitely.

Thanks Again !!!

Dayton Ohio
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 5:24pm
No, it should NOT be full of water. It is an air pressure shock absorber. It must be mounted vertically so that any water that gets in (due to a leak in the pressure line) will drain out. Otherwise, it will freeze and split in the winter.

Contrary to what some think, the speedos work via air pressure, not water pressure. The water at the pitot compresses the air in the line. The water does not get very far.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 7:12pm
Thanks David F , indeed it was mounted Vertically prior to dismantling it. I'm going to submit a post in the Parts Wanted section, and see if I can get ahold of another one. If not, do you think I can fabricate one of these. Is it simply just a hollow tube/rod, or does it have some kind of baffle inside ? I can't tell from the one I have w/o destroying it.

Thanks Again !

Dayton Ohio
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 7:31pm
Chris, I would start with a length of 3/4 I.D. copper water tubing. Then you will need a reducing coupling and a male pipe(IPS) adapter on each end. Sweat solder the assembly together. Now you'll need some compression fittings to match the pitot tubing. Make sure you use the sleeves that fit the I.D. of the tubing on the compression fittings. They are designed for soft tubing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 9:11pm
Thanks Pete, that's probably what I'll end up doing, unless someone responds to my Parts Wanted post. Sure appreciate all of your help!! Chris.

Dayton Ohio
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic