Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

tach reads high

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
81nautiqueskip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautiqueskip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tach reads high
    Posted: June-13-2007 at 2:54pm
stock 1981 tach reads 1200 @ idle and stays way high thru whole range. engine well tuned.
any advice besides get a new one? i'm trying to keep boat as original as practical. thanks
1981skinautique 3/4 done
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 3:27pm
Skip, check to see what input it is connected to. My 77 tach has 4, 6 or 8 cyl. choices on the back side. As a example, if it is connected for a 4 cyl., a 8 cyl. is going to produce twice the pulses and the tach will read twice the RPM's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautiqueskip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 3:32pm
mine also has the 3 choices on back of tach, it is on 8. thanks
1981skinautique 3/4 done
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 4:19pm
Sometimes you don't have any other choice but to do the inevitable. My tach was doing the exact same thing as yours a couple months ago. About a hundred bucks will fix it just fine.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 1:04am
81n..I have two tachs, one is a 1980 and the other is an 85, both are black and blue!
mark (321)231-6041

backfoot.. can you give me a call also, I need to ask what would be the best way to polish my new edelbrock manifolds!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 1:41am
If you have a bench grinder just pull the shields off and mount a cloth wheel and use some polishing compound. You can get what you need at an industrial supply house, sears, lowes, home depot, the cloth wheels come in different styles and the compounds have different grades as well use one wheel/compound to start stiff/course then use a softer/finer wheel/compound.

Or just get some never dull and a couple of truck loads of elbow grease.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 5:08am
MM, Save all the elbow grease and send them out to have them vibrotory finished. By hand it is going to be real hard to get down into all the detail and between the individual ports coming from each cylinder. If you are not familiar with the process, it's a big vibrating drum with different grades and types of abrasive media in it into which the piece parts are placed. It my take several stages of media to do it depending on the finish you want. They can take it out to a almost mirror but just like paint, the more the gloss, the more defects will be seen.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautiqueskip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 8:27am
thanks for the advice, mark my email is skiphaugh@yahoo.com if you would send me $'s for your tach's i might take one. skip
1981skinautique 3/4 done
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2007 at 9:09am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

backfoot.. can you give me a call also, I need to ask what would be the best way to polish my new edelbrock manifolds!

Mark, I'll give you a buzz tonight. Chris has it nailed in his post though. Cloth wheel will do it. We'll talk later.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic