Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine won’t turn off?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
falkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine won’t turn off?
    Posted: June-16-2007 at 2:13am
Hi,

Just put the boat in the lake and cranked it up. It went fine, well it ran hot because it seems to not get any cooling water.

But when I tried to turn it off it didnt? I had to pull all the ignition coils (or atleast 6 of them). It went on like this for another 5-6 times until I quit for the day, another try today. Whatt??
Ski Nautique 1975!
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2007 at 2:32am
After you turned the key off was it running normally or was it chugging? Also, tell us a little about your engine. PCM Ford? 351W? What year? If it was chugging, your overheating problem can cause this. Was the throttle closed all the way?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2007 at 2:33am
First thing you HAVE to do is fix your cooling problem.
Was it running just as if you didn't turn the key off or was it "dieseling"? Was it "pinging" and making a bunch of noise? If that's what it's doing, you may have the engine so hot that it's igniting the fuel on it's own without spark.
If it's running just as if you didn't turn the key off it means you still have power to your ignition even though your switch is in the off position. Could be switch, hacked up wiring or a cross between your ignition "hot" wire and another "hot" or positive wire between your switch and your ignition.
Give us more info.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2007 at 2:39am
Thanks 88. That's more/less what I was trying to say. You just chose the right words.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
falkman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2007 at 6:05am
Hi again!

Ok, the cooling problem was due to a squeezed hoose behind the waterpunmp. My own stupid reasembly.. dooh..

OMC 350 rebuild 2000, otherwise "stock". Prob changed a bunch of gears on it.

It was kinda "chugging" a bit when I turned the key off, and the read on the "igniter (don't know the right word) droped from 18-19V to about 8V. Strange it did not "chugg" more..

The iginition problem, well.. I tried to spray on some "corroision" solvent spray..on all terminals/open connections and it seems to work.. Went out for a cruise and it turned off fine!! A couple of times. Just waiting for the wind to calm down now so we can go wakeboardning.

I dont think I got the engine so hot last time that it did self ignite, It did this just after cranking it up. I only ran it to about 180f (160 normal).

Tanks for the tips! Cheers!!

A pic of the first startup on land:

I'm trying to speed up the global warmening cause it's so freezing cold here in Sweden.
Ski Nautique 1975!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic