Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

overheating

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
samthepainter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samthepainter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: overheating
    Posted: June-16-2007 at 2:48pm
    Boys I am goin loony tryin to troubleshoot my 88 nautique w 351 ford...allnew hoses but raw water pump (new) wont suck water and engine gets hot...on hose no problem...in lake wont suck H20...sight glass is air tight...pressure tested backwards flow and no leaks...stuck screwdriver in block pump inspection port and blades and circulator seem ok...ran engine on hose and opened block drains and it seems no air is caught in block...I am at my wits end...I will gladly send the person that suggests the solution a $50 reward....please help as I live lakeside and have insurance all paid up on boat (600 hrs)   Thanks   e-mail me...samthepainter@cox.net
Iowa lake and river rat
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2007 at 6:21pm
Make sure your pump is not on upside down.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2007 at 7:41pm
Like nutty said, make sure the pump is not on upside down. it's easy to do...

I'll bet this is your problem.

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2007 at 7:53am
If im not mistaken, the hoses on your raw water pump should be away from the engine block for your pump to be on right . If this is a PCM.engine.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2007 at 11:01am
Yours would be the same as mine.

The cam screw should point away from the block.

Also you didn't mention if you've checked your impellers.

Kurt
samthepainter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samthepainter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2007 at 11:20pm
    Thanks for your ideas boys....an 84 year old man heard me talkin about my problem and asked me to remove the pump and he sat in the shade of the trees and took the pump apart...when he took out is old rusty pocket knife and started scraping on the housing I about died and told him " carefull that's brass"...well, the opposite side of the impeller is a plate and the rest of the housing and that cheesey little gasket there I assembled ...the hard surface was slightly pitted and was suckin air unbeknownced to me...his advice was "never be in a hurry reasembling a water pump and be darn sure to wear your readin glasses when ya do it
Iowa lake and river rat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic