Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Steering 97 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Steering 97 Ski Nautique
    Posted: July-01-2007 at 11:11pm
Hope you all can pitch in with your advice on hard steering again. I bought a 97 19'6" SN with 500 hours 3 years ago. I add 40 hours per year pulling new skiers at a ski camp. The steering is getting harder and harder under power, especially to the right. It steers easy on the trailer or at idle speed, but as soon as I get underway, it takes two hands to turn. I pulled the rudder, which looks good, no wear or galling noticed. I greased it, but didn't notice much improvement. I don't mind changing the cable, but my previous 79 SN had the same problem and a new cable didn't help. Oh yeah, both boats had 4 blade OJ props.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Ron
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 12:15pm
When you disconnected the cable from the rudder, was the steering wheel still hard to turn? Did the rudder move freely? Try that first- my guess is that you need a new cable.
arcticeric69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcticeric69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 3:13am
I have a 97 snob and am about to replace my steering cable for the 3rd time. Teleflex bought up the competition and there cable suck. My 87 barefoot nautique had 1400 hours on it when i sold it and never had a problem with the cable which was made by morise, teleflex bought them. I recommend writting correct craft and letting them know your problem. I had breakfast with the company presedent a few weeks ago and he claimed that that is a problem he had not heard of. He needs to hear from other owners.
Eric M. Russell
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic