NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pls help drive shaft packing

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
beachdude24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdude24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pls help drive shaft packing
    Posted: July-03-2007 at 3:15am
Hi,

My name is Gerald I'm from Aruba Its a nice tropical island in the caribbean and I own a '86 skinautique 2001

Anyway I'm having trouble with the stuffing box It's leaking like hell so I'm going to reaplace it but I don't know what size of packing should I buy any idea or suggestion let me know.

Gerald

Aruba
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 11:02am
SkiDim.com
SkiDim website should help you out with that, and a great place to buy it as well.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 11:04am
Gerald, welcome!

The packing is easy. If you haven't done anything with the stuffing box then I would guess the packing material in it is pretty much gone. Call SKIDIM and order the GoreTex replacement packing material. It's like $10.00 or something like that. I think that you'll need the 1/4" stuff but talk to Vince to confirm that or somebody here can confirm. You can do a search on here for shaft packing and there are numerous posts that explain what you need to do.

In simple terms, unscrew the packing nut and remove the old packing with a long pointed object of some sort. Replace with at least two or three pieces of the new packing material. Whatever you can fit into the packing box and still get the packing nut to start. Cut the packing material so that each piece is just long enough to wrap around the driveshaft and makes and nice clean butt joint. Stagger the butt joints of each seperate piece at least 90 degrees from each other and tighten down the packing nut again. Just hand tight, it probably won't take much. It should leak a little bit but the drip rate should be a few drops per minute while in gear. Keep checking it the first few times you use it as you will probably need to re-adjust the packing nut a few times for the proper drip rate. The GoreTex packing material is awesome stuff and some guys have even almost completely stopped the drips. I still prefer to have a couple drips. Better to have a little water in the bilge than get that drive shaft too hot. If you feel the driveshaft and it's warm, loosen the packing nut a little bit.

Hope this helps and if I'm ever in Aruba, you better beleive I'll be getting in touch with you for a little skiing in paradise!!!!!

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 11:18am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

I think that you'll need the 1/4" stuff but talk to Vince to confirm that or somebody here can confirm.

Replace with at least two or three pieces of the new packing material. Whatever you can fit into the packing box and still get the packing nut to start.

I believe he'll need 3/16". Thats what was used in both my shaft and rudder packing. You should be able to get 3 or 4 rings on each. If youre replacing both, buy 2 packs.
Mickstique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickstique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 9:58pm
would i use the same size packing for a 1981 ski nautique?
"wake" up!
todicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote todicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2007 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

In simple terms, unscrew the packing nut and remove the old packing with a long pointed object of some sort. Replace with at least two or three pieces of the new packing material. Whatever you can fit into the packing box and still get the packing nut to start. Cut the packing material so that each piece is just long enough to wrap around the driveshaft and makes and nice clean butt joint. Stagger the butt joints of each seperate piece at least 90 degrees from each other and tighten down the packing nut again. Just hand tight, it probably won't take much. It should leak a little bit but the drip rate should be a few drops per minute while in gear. Keep checking it the first few times you use it as you will probably need to re-adjust the packing nut a few times for the proper drip rate. The GoreTex packing material is awesome stuff and some guys have even almost completely stopped the drips. I still prefer to have a couple drips. Better to have a little water in the bilge than get that drive shaft too hot. If you feel the driveshaft and it's warm, loosen the packing nut a little bit.

That is the best description I have ever seen on how to replace your shaft packing........
Living outside the wake
95GT-40SNOB
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Mickstique Mickstique wrote:

would i use the same size packing for a 1981 ski nautique?

Best thing to do would be talk to Vince at SkiDim. I know that my boat needed the 1/4" stuff. Tim thinks that the 3/16" was needed. I seem to remember being told a number of years ago that 1" propshafts used 1/4" and 1 and 1/8" propshaft used 3/16". I could certainly be wrong though.

Todd, thanks for the props on the shaft packing. I can pack my shaft with the best of 'em!!!

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 1:41pm
Karen at SkiDim told me I need 3/16 for both my shaft and rudder on my 88.
Kurt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic