Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drive train problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drive train problem
    Posted: July-03-2007 at 10:40am
I'm not sure what happened. The boat is a sport nautique. I was about to put the boat on the trailer and I lost all power at the prop. I did not hit anything and I was only idling. I can move the shaft back and forth easily by pushing it and the prop does not hit the rudder but it comes very close.

I'm really not sure what happened so any ideas or explanations would be great. Thanks.

I wasn't able to get the pictures to post here but I was able to put them up on wakeworld.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/470665.html?1183433601
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 10:57am
Take the 4 bolts loose from you coupler (just behind the tranny) and slide the coupler and shaft back. See what kind of damage there is (if any). Either the nut backed off, the key sheared, or set screw rusted away. Not sure exactly how you shaft connects to the coupler, but I'm sure you'll see when you take those 4 bolts out. You won't hurt anything, and you are sure to learn.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 1:52pm
Where is the key? Is it part of the coupler?
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 10:39pm
there is a keyway (slot) on the shaft and a key, just like on the prop end. Should be a snug, clean fit
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 12:55pm
if the shaft is loose in the coupling, that is the first signs of mis-alignment, chances are because the coupling is softer than the shaft, the coupling will be worn.
"the things you own will start to own you"
skier12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skier12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2007 at 5:06pm
We've decided to go with a new double taper ARE shaft. I still can't post pics on here for some reason but there are pics of the shaft on the wakeworld site. The shaft had damage and was questionable so rather than struggling to get a new coupler on the old shaft we decided to upgrade. Anyway the next problem is getting the rudder off. Looking under the gas tank I can see the assembly but what exactly do you loosen to get it out?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2007 at 6:39pm
you'll have to remove the bolt on top of the tiller arm, then the bolt through the tiller arm where it meets the rudder, not the cable side. then your going to loosen the jam nut on the stuffing box then the packing gland and the rudder will fall out so have something under it before you loosen the packing gland.

For picture post them on photobucket copy the link and post them here there is a topic at the top of "OFF TOPIC" page that explains this to help you out if you try to upload directly to the posting size is an issue on photobucket it's not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic