Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical problem...please help!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical problem...please help!!!
    Posted: July-05-2007 at 2:38am
Alright, I apologize in advance for the long post, but I think if you have all the details, you might be better suited to help me out, so here it goes....

A couple of weeks ago my new "stock" battery was dying on me leaving me dead in the water. I should have seen it coming as the last few years my alternator has been week...voltmeter only reading 10-11 volts while at wakeboard speed but I never really had a problem until this year. I decided to pull the alternator and have it tested...of course it was dead, so I took it to have it rebuilt. whala...my stock 37 amp alternator (I have an 83 sn2001 w/351) was re-wound to 55 amp.

I put it in the boat, and at first I was getting a reading of 12+ volts, then kinda stopped looking at the voltmeter and again and then next time I looked it was at 10 volts wakeboard speed and like an idiot I shut the boat down when the boarding set was done and I was stranded dead in the water (luckily only a 10 minute swim from the landing). Called the guy who re-did my alternator and took it back... As it turns out, the voltage regulator on the back of the alternator went bad or was bad from the start. We ordered a new voltage reg and put it on.

Just got the boat back all ready to go today for the fourth and fireworks tonight, so I put it in, start it on the trailer, and idle away. all is well. voltmeter reading 13-14 volts just as I am gettin up to plane and then the engine sputters, my tach needle pins above 6000 (the rpms dont change though) and is smoking, voltmeter jumps to 16 + and my temp gauge skyrockets. I immediately idle down and open the engine cover just to check engine temp and it is not that hot...must have had a power surge or something. Either way, I idled back to the landing, put it back on the trailer and went to shut it down. After I shut it down,I HAVE NO POWER TO ANYTHING. Nothing to the accessories, ignition switch, lights, etc. I checked the main breaker and it did not pop. Lucky I didn't shut down in the middle of the lake otherwise I'd have been dead in the water yet again.

I am getting really frustrated with this cause just when I think I can fix my alternator, it turns into much larger problems. What do you guys suspect happened? What is wrong with my boat? Did my voltage regulator give out in the open position if there is such a thing?? I am going to check the continuity of the alternator/battery hots and grounds tomorrow and see what I can deduce from that, but do you have any other suggestions? I am fairly mechanically inclined, but know little about electrical systems. I appreciate any advice you can give! Thank you!! I really don't want to re-do the gauges at this point in time, but might have to slowly after what happened to the tach.

Kyle
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 3:46am
The only problem you had before the alternator rebuilds was a low charge. After the rebuild came the problems. Take the alternator back and have it checked out. Also, check the ground connection where the battery cable grounds to the engine block, the breaker, and any other places. Start from the battery and work back looking for voltage.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 6:26am
Kylem, I can think of two things that could cause your voltmeter to read 16+ volts. They are: a bad voltmeter and a bad voltage regulator. Since you have multiple symptoms, high voltage from the alternator caused by a bad regulator is the most likely culprit. This will cause all of the other gauges to read incorrecly and can eventually cook your battery and as well as other things. You said the voltage regulator was on the "back" of the alternator. Did you mean it is external? If so, I would replace the alternator and voltage regulator with a newer type alternator with an internal regulator. My favorite is the GM 10SI or 12SI.

Since you lost power to everything, like Skibum said above, you need to troubleshoot that problem as well. It sounds as though you may have blown a main fuse somewhere,....possibly feeding your ignition switch on the B+ side. Good luck! Please get back to us with your findings. Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 12:40pm
ok, you didn't replace the breaker with a larger breaker when you upped the amps to 55, mistake number one. Most likely you replace the regulator with the same regulator that was on it, mistake number two, you have to have a higher rated regulator to go with the 55 amp iutput of the alternator.

I find it extremely odd that the regulator is on the back of the alternator, sounds like it's not a stock piece to me.

you would have been better off if you would have bought the up grade kit from skidim that has the alternator, and wiring harness in it as well as a new breaker. oh well live and learn the hard way I guess.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 12:49pm
Chris, a lot of the stock units were Motorola alt. rated at 35 amps and came both ways.It really is not an internal regulator more like integral, it bolts to the brush housing on the rear.
As far as the regulator it is the same, the difference being in the stator,and rotor .The rectifier diode assy. being the same.
But agree with the 10SI one wire upgrade, thats the only way to fly.Just upgrade the battery wire from the alternater to the solenoid to a big fat wire and your set......boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 11:04pm
Motorola = JUNK sh*t, doesn't matter if it's your cell phone, walkie talkie, ignition system, or alternator, cheap sh*t that never lasts or works half assed.

Hated the cell phone I had that was made by them. The early DIS system on the Buick 3.8L motor was a piece of junk as well as the pro-tect system PCM used.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 12:37am
you didnt specify the condition of your battery...I ran into this problem last week, no juice from altenator,pulled it had it rebuilt put it back in and was reading 16 volts, customer insisted battery was new last year. pulled battery and sides were buldging which is a indication of overcharging. installed a known good battery and volt meter read normal, hope this helps
"the things you own will start to own you"
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 9:22pm
kylem428
Start with a new alternator man. He should been able to tell if you alternator was at fault or if the problem was somewhere else. He should also be able to test your voltage regultor. So, go to someone else.

I have to take exception to what the others above have said, unless the upgrade is a simple installation for non-electrical types. (Which it may be as I have no experience with the upgrade - but I doubt it.)

I also doubt that your alternator man "uprated" your alternator winding. To go from 35 amps to 55 amps would require a 63% increase in wire diameter wound in the armature and also a stronger field winding.In addition, to handle the stronger internal magnetic flux field required, more iron core material is required. In other words, a 55 amp alternator has to be more massive than a 35 amp alternator even if the outside deminsions are the same. So, I am immediatly questioning his integrity. I think there is a chance he just exchanged you alternator for a differnt one. Maybe not - but I suspect so.

The problem of the 16 volt output is in your regulator. That is why it is called a "regulator". It's not regulating. An automative electric shop can test it for you and a replacement is not expensive. Have your alternator retested because if could now be damaged (but I doubt it).

Don't bother changing your breaker to a larger breaker just because the guy told you he rewound it for 55 amps. Wait and see if the old breaker gives you nusaince trips.(Sorry Chris but no need to make the guy do extra work).

If someone was to tell me he rewound my alternator for a highr amp rating I would ask him how did that. I would want to know. It's like you take your 20 gauge shotgun to a gunsmith for cleaning and when you picked it up he advises you he upgraded it to a 12 gauge.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 10:02pm
well Jim you don't have to change the rotor or have it rewound or have more mass, you do have to rewind the stator doesn't have to be heavier gauge wire or more of the same gauge wire just more turns, most stators have over sized slots to start with so adding more turns and wire isn't an issue at all and is pretty common in the industry it's all in how the fields are wound and placed in the stator that determines the output. Grated there are limits and if the lamination's slot and mass are already maxed then you have issue, but if you compare a GM alternator with a 100 amp output to a 85 amp unit the stator laminations are exactly the same as well as the rotors too. So it us not unreasonable that a 35 amp unit is switched to a 55 amp unit.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 10:22pm
Jim, the upgrade to the GM 10SI is very simple if it is the 1 wire. This alternator has the same bolt pattern as his Motorola. It's very easy even if you are not electrically inclined. Since he already indicated that his boat is equipped with a voltmeter (and not an ammeter) the upgrade couldn't be easier. I agree there is no need to use a larger gauge charging circuit and circuit breaker unless you increase the load on the electrical system (like installing an amp).
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 10:34pm
Don't get me started Chris.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 10:59pm
Jim I think I got it backwards, we would change the stator winds on the EV motors to create more power/torque, you have to change the coil inside the rotor segments of the armature and replace the rectifier to handle the change in output.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 11:06pm
No you don't, to change a 35 amp motorola to a 55 amp all that is required is to change the stator. same goes for a 10SI GM , to go from a 35 to a 55 simply change the stator.
All this changes at 65 to 100 amps . Rotor stator and rectifier bridge all have to be changed,the voltage regulator stays the same.
Sorry guys ran an alternater shop for 5 yrs,chris have to disagree about the motorola thing, not as good as GM ,but better than Bosche or Lucas.Would put Leece/Neville at the top of the list......boat dr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 12:20pm
Interesting info. But it still doesn't address the problem.

It doesn't surprise me that the stators will interchange. If the stator cores (only the iron core part, not the winding) are exactly the same part, the manufacturer only has to insert different windings for different amp ratings reducing the tooling cost that would be needed for two different cores. Makes sense.

Maybe the alternator rebuilder only stocks replacement 55 amp stators - thereby reducing his inventory. I stand corrected about the Motorola alternator.

I owned an operated an industrial electric motor rewind shop in Houston for 20 years. During that time I designed and built several special duty motors ranging from fractional to 500HP. I rewound and designed windings for countless motors up to 10,000HP and 4000 volt. We did not stock cores. Everything was wound or rewound in my shop. Swapping cores is foreign to me. But the smallest motor we would accept for repair was 50HP. No "stator swapping" with these sizes. Electric motors, generators, transformers, and the related controls are something I know about. I admit that during these years I never worked on an auto car alternator - I always took mine to an auto-electric shop where they had the proper tools and test equipment. The theory, however, of car alternators and the larger generators I have worked on, is the same. After the few years I have owned a CC I admit I still know very little about boats.

I now make my money teaching others the trade along with other electrical and electronic subjects.

I still think the guy has a regulator problem.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 12:58pm
I think the guy wasted his money and should have bought the upgrade from SKIDIM.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 2:15am
After I read the above posts I agree - but it's too late.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2007 at 10:11am
the boat i was working on showed a true 16 volts with a dvm, i pulled the battery and installed a new one and it came right down to 13.5, At first the rebuilder told me the adjustable regulator needed to be adjusted (under the cover is a screw for adjustment) I went with the new battery and the problem was solved
"the things you own will start to own you"
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 1:59am
Hey everyone...thanks for all your help. My father and I recently went through the wiring checking the continuity and all the grounds checked out.   I had the alternator tested by 3 different shops last week and at each shop, the alternator maxed out at 16+ volts so I called the guy that re-did my alternator and said that my voltage regulator went out again and he requested that we bring the boat and alternator up to him so he could fix it and install it correctly. He didn't seem to think that we were smart enough to attach 3 wires to an alternator the same way they came off so whatever. It ran up there and was charging at 14 volts. I put it in the water today and ran it for 10 minutes at various speeds and it was charging the whole time.

I decided before that I didn't want to mess with the wiring because that whole project would have put me down like $500 at least. this way I got a re-build alternator pushing 55 amps for $180. I didn't put a new breaker in it because the breaker that is in it was made for the wiring and if I upped the size of the breaker, logic says I run a greater risk of cooking the wiring. We'll run it as is and see what happens.

Maybe it would have been smart to do the update, but it is mid season and my pockets aren't that deep. I wanted functionality and something that would charge my battery. I have a moderately large system in my boat but don't use it hard unless we are barreling down the lake at 22 mph. No big deal. Thanks for all your input and I apologize for keeping you guys waiting for an update for so long.

Kyle
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 2:10am
it would have cost under 300 bucks from skidim
kylem428 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kylem428 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 3:07am
I guarantee I would have run into more problems. That is how my luck goes. In my eyes, I saved $120. Sure it was a headache, but it is fixed now and I didn't have to mess with re-working the wiring.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2007 at 4:31am
its a plug and play type deal. All you had to do was unplug it at the back of the motor, disconnect all of the wires and then reconnect the new harness up pretty easy and strait forward, oh well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic