Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Major hull damage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Major hull damage
    Posted: July-12-2007 at 3:12pm
Well I managed to take a one foot long and close to an inch gouge out of the hull of my boat this past weekend. The bumpers were dry-rotted and appears to be the culprit. There are various areas that need to be filled anyways so that was the kicker I guess. I am wondering where I can find the items to start this project. The boat will need repainted and gelcoated anyways, but I am hoping that I may be able to do the grunt work ( filling and sanding, etc. ) myself, to save some cash. Can someone direct me on what and where?
1968 Mustang 318 CM
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 3:58pm
Spievy, Before you buy anything you will need to decide if you want to paint or gel coat as it may make some minor changes in the process. You will also need to look at the condition of the hull and weather or not the exsisting gel needs to be removed or minor problems can just be filled. (don't just start filling holes or gouges) Is there any blistering below the waterline? Are there any gel stress cracks and where are they? There is tons of info on this site but the best with photos is Bill (skibum) whole hull restoration. Do some searches and start reading. It is a big project.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 4:23pm
I am guessing the existing gel needs replaced. There are stress cracks all over the stern. However, there are no stress cracks three feet and past the stern. There have been a few patch areas on the bottom but none evident anywhere else. I assumed this would be a lengthy and pricy item so I figured I would ask some basic questions. I have done some looking on here and found some useful info just not sure what I should do I have heard prices in my area anywhere from $4000-$6000....not too cool but that's the price you pay for having toys I guess.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2007 at 10:40pm
my two cents...fix the structural issues including stringers and floor first. Then worry about the gelcote. DIY for the stringers and floor $600-$1,000. Prep work of grinding, filling, and sanding (having somebody else paint or gel) $100-$200. Hours of "grunt work" ... endless!
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 2:49pm
I can do the stringers and floor....any advice on where to get materials? Also, on the paint and gel $100-$200, that seems insane considering what I have heard from others who had that done.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Spievy Spievy wrote:

I can do the stringers and floor....any advice on where to get materials? Also, on the paint and gel $100-$200, that seems insane considering what I have heard from others who had that done.

Spiev, What I feel Bill is saying is that the prep work of grinding, filling and sanding is $100 to $200 of supplies and then have someone else re gel the boat. He did not estimate that work. He'll be back on I'm sure and will chime in.

Do some searchs for epoxy resin ether West or the more resonable cost Mas. Do use epoxy for the stringers and floor as that is structural. The epoxy is stronger plus it doesn't absorb water moisture like polyester resin does.

Your local good lumber yard is a good place to start for wood. You will want to use structural Douglass fir and not the "white" woods. Make sure it is straight grained with very few defects. It should be dry and if the yard has a meter ask them to check the moisture content for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 4:27pm
Ok, I believe everything from the stringers to the hull needs re-done it seems to be in poor shape the more and more I inspect things. I appreciate the advice on everything.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 4:38pm

Here is at least a picture of the beast we are talking about....finally!
1968 Mustang 318 CM
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2007 at 8:38pm
Thats a nice boat. Pete is right about the cost ... it is how much you will spend on grinding pads, sanding disks, and some resin and filler to prep the hull so somebody else can apply the gel. That is going to cost a lot of money.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic