NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Doc, did you know?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doc, did you know?
    Posted: July-18-2007 at 9:08pm
Doc, I don't know if you happened to spot one of the points of interest / history maps of Green Lake while you were up there. There was one in the breezeway next to the Bayviews office. I was looking at it and a interesting fact was that more that half of the settlers of the area were from Louisiana! Maybe back then they were chasing all the criminals out of the state or it could have been the other way!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 12:00pm
Pete, those guys must have been nuts. To leave the hot and humid south , complete w/bugs,snakes and various critters that will eat or suck your blood. Move north to rocks,cold water,snow and ice.
Sounds like a forced move to me.........Great place to visit, Ain't gonna sell out and move today.
Karen and I had such a great time meeting all and swapping lies.As we talked on the short drive back,1055 miles in 18.5 hrs,can't ever remember a better vacation,EVER......
Thanx to all that put so much effort into the CCFan Reunion.......Billy/Karen
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 12:26pm
There's every reason in the world to move up there except the cold weather and water.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 12:58pm
La. weather report.....
Highs today 92
Humidity 87%
Water temp 85
Fun Factor 1000
G/Lake nice place to visit/vacation
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 2:24pm
Pete, I gotta agree with you and Boat Doc at the same time. Born and raised in WI. In-Laws have a place on Lake Shishabogoma in Minoqua that I've been to hundreds of times. Deer hunted 27 years in Hayward. Snowmobiled through all of northern WI, MN and even went into Canada. Absolutely beautiful and I love it up there but..... Winters suck and all the lakes in summer are packed with Wallys. That sucks even more. Since I've been down here, I can find water good enough to barefoot on virtually 365 days a year at high noon if I want (Unless there's a hurricane in the area).

Last saturday...94 degrees....water temp 90 degrees....at 1PM the lake was barren and had a nasty 1/2" ripple on it. Went footin' for two hours and didn't see another boat. You would have to look long and hard to find that in WI and I can do it year round. JBear and I have been out footin' a couple nights a week after work for the last few weeks. Every time we've been out, we have the lake to ourselves except for a couple fishermen. If you want the traffic, you can always go to one of the chains around that are packed like you've seen with MM's pics. Take your choice for the best of both worlds. All within 20 minutes of my front door. Thanks, but I 'aint never goin' back!

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 2:41pm
Doc, I just caught a newbee post from "separator" He's from Antartica if he was truthfull. And you thought the GL water was cold!!!

Backfoot, I feel you have gotten the wrong impression of northern Wis. because I feel the Minoqua area is the worst for the "Wallys" only exceded by the Dells area. Yes, we do have our days when we get a lot of trailered boats in but that is always on the holiday weekends. I don't even go out then!! I may see one or two boats out on each lake (28 of them) during normal weekdays and a few more on the weekends. There really isn't much buildable land left so I don't expect things to get any worse. Now I don't mind the cold and nether does my wife so once the kids are out of school, the plan is to move up permanently.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 3:26pm
I know what you're talking about Pete. I always said that I don't mind the cold either. Seems every year got a little tougher to handle though. Now I don't have to worry about that at all. My boat doesn't go into storage for 5 months, I don't need a drysuit anymore, and I don't need an observer to go skiing. Just a driver and it's all good.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 5:56pm
"Wallys"?? Meaning tourists? Non-locals?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 6:28pm
FIBs!!!
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 6:37pm
Okay, so I'm really out of it....FIBs? I really need to work on my "cool lingo" vocabulary.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

FIBs!!!

or FISH!!! I've been called both
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 7:05pm
Or FIB-TAB's- that's what we are. The TAB stands for "towing a boat".
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 7:08pm
f***ing illinois bastard
"       "        sh** head

I call myself a f***ing FIB for extra emphasis.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2007 at 7:52pm
New Hampshire people call us Ma**holes. Guess that's not a bad as a FIB. What's wrong with people these days??

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 10:07pm
Kevin, You had to go and tell them about FIB's!!! I'm really a Illinois person but have had the home up north in Wis. since my grandfather bought some land for back taxes in 1940. Luckily I have never been called a FIB but do know people who have been. Besides "cheesehead" I really haven't heard the Wis. people called anything as mean and nasty as a FIB. I guess if the time ever came, I would have to think up something!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:23am
Originally posted by 6strings 6strings wrote:

"Wallys"?? Meaning tourists? Non-locals?

Walt, these are the people that generally don't know a thing about boating etiquette and even less about their own boat. They are really fun to watch at boat ramps though. Especially after several adult beverages. They can also be a lot of fun to watch when trying to dock someplace. After you get a whole lake full of these clowns, we call it Wally World.

Hope it makes more sense now.

Eddie
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:43am
Gotcha Eddie, thanks for the clarification!
Seems I was entertained this weekend by several Wallys! It is fun to watch unless your waiting in line at the ramp while they do their thing. My wife has less patience than I do.

Also, I guess FIBs could refer to me too...Indiana
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 5:02pm
There is no Nirvana on earth. Every place has its pluses and minuses. Since we can't live everywhere, pick a nice spot, put down roots and take advantage of what is special about your hometown.   Then visit as many spots as you can to appriciate the great diversity we have in this country.

Winters can really suck up here. However, that is why snowboarding was invented.

Any Wisconsinite that uses the term FIB is a complete ignorant mouth breathing moron who shouldn't be listened to in the first place.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by 6strings 6strings wrote:

My wife has less patience than I do.

A couple months ago we pulled up to the ramp at dusk (when it was busy). There were five or six boats circling waiting to get on the trailer. A guy pulls in to the dock (there are three ramps) and ties his boat up with three women just sitting in it. THere aren't posted rules, but kind of unspoken rules that you don't tie up when it's busy (Unless I suppose, you're by yourself). So Mrs. Dude is frustrated with the Wallys and goes and backs my trailer in almost right under their boat. The women start yelling at her and one gets out and goes and tells her, "This isn't your boat!" To which the normally very gentle Mrs. Dude says, "Then get it off the dock because my boat is ready to load and your isn't." Anyway, they say a few kind things to each other before she finally pulls the trailer up and back down on the ramp right next to it that opened up. It was the kind of thing I used to do when so frustrated on the ramp, but it killed me she did it.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by The Dude The Dude wrote:

A guy pulls in to the dock (there are three ramps) and ties his boat up with three women just sitting in it. THere aren't posted rules, but kind of unspoken rules that you don't tie up when it's busy (Unless I suppose, you're by yourself).

This just happened to me at GL. I had already dropped off my girlfriend to go get the truck while I was idling around by the docks. Some jag pulls his boat up to the slip and ties up to get his truck. Due to his parking spot he ends up ahead of us in line. Due to his sh*t ass driving skills, he can't back up worth a damn and I end up having to weave around his deck boat to get on the trailer after Carolyn backs down the ramp.

quinner saw the whole thing too. Some people just don't get it!
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 8:34pm
Why is it you have to have training ,oral and written to receive many types licences,drivers,pilots,cutting hair,trimming finger nails even to plant flowers and srubs,but you can own a boat and raise a child all by the seat of your pants.And with so many showing the crack of their ass it's no wonder the kids we are turning out and the scene that evolves at the boat ramp.....

MRS DUDE: kudo's to you and your attitude, sometimes stupidity needs to be addressed to the owner of said behavior........boat dr
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:52pm
Tell MRS Dude way to go, we have a ramp at are lake that you can fit three boats between the two docks if they are small enough. People get mad when they take forever at the ramp and it's really busy. I like to launch my boat between the two tied to the dock if I have to, but this is only have waiting 5 minutes for them to load or leave the dock.

You guys would of had a real big laugh at the wally at the ramp Sunday night he was mad he couldn't get his 30 mirrage loaded on the trailer, then I came up drove right. He was yelling hay no wake ass hole, I just laughed told him to get a real boat that you can power load. The funny thing was the wake was from his friend in another boat driving around waiting for an open dock. I had idle in from 100 foot out. That's why I had to laugh he should have yelled at his friend not me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic