NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Erie Canal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Erie Canal
    Posted: July-20-2007 at 10:44pm
Has anyone here ever cruised on the Erie Canal? I go to upstate NY on business about every other week, I'm thinking of trailering to Waterford (near Troy) and then cruising about 50 miles to Fultonville or Canojaharie. I'm pretty sure the '63 will be up for it though I'll take quite a few spare parts!

Let me know if anyone has done it, and if there are any problems I'll run into in a CC.

Thanks,
David
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 2:14am
David,

Nice looking skier. I like it. I've never cruised the Erie Canal but I lived up that way for years and have driven along it. Only hurdle I can think of is there are locks. Don't know the procedure for going through locks and if they raise and lower them for every 16 footer that comes by. I would guess they would have to, can't discriminate after all. Also, I'm not sure, maybe there aren't any locks in the stretch you are talking about. Might make for a nice scenic cruise.

Concord NH...not coming to Sokokis???
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 2:35am
I have a book on cruising the NY rivers and canals. You are right, there are around 10 locks in the stretch I'm looking at. It says pretty much any boat can do it, I'm just wondering if any issues in the locks themselves, not sure how much motion is in the locks when filling and dumping. I'm hoping someone will have done it and can offer some pointers.

I have a family reunion in MA on that Saturday. I was thinking of trying to come up Sunday morning, still not sure if that will work but I'd love to get on the lake with the crowd of CC's. Thanks for the compliment on the boat, it is in need of a lot of TLC that I haven't had time for, but still runs great.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 3:41am
We have the arkansas navagational system here great place to go on a major weekend all the smooth water you could want,Locking is OK you have to tie up with a slip system to the edge of lock and stay away from tugs.I think they can only make you wait like 20 minutes and thats if they know of other traffic coming.

I have done this a couple of times with a group of boats.We can put in at Kerr Lake to get into system and there is a nice hotel on the water in Ft.Smith that has slips.

I haven't seen it but I've heard of people leaving there boat on shore and finding it high and dry in the morning.Also don't get out of the boat w/o a line to hold current can be strong

Munday
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 1:57pm
On the Illinois river they will not let you in the lock along with a barge carrying anything they consider hazardous, like fuel or something along that line. Commercial traffic is always first in line. When in the locks you do not tie you hold the ropes along the walls, hopefully you will have at least one other person with you as the current can get pretty strong in there. Other than that it's really not a big deal.

Wishing you a safe trip!
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2007 at 2:44am
I'll be alone in the boat, sounds like I'll have my hands full. I hope to get the details worked out this week and go in the next couple, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic