NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All Choked Up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Choked Up
    Posted: July-26-2007 at 12:56pm
87 SN w/351w PCM, carb 4160, stock about 900 hrs.

After a smooth start up, idle to the wakeless boundaries, and about five minutes of running on plane the boat suddenly bogs then shuts down. It restarts, runs down the lake then bogs and shuts down. Once I decide to head back to the launch the boat runs great. No more problems all day long.

This happened one time several weeks ago. I replaced the fuel water separator. No problems again. After reading a post on how to properly adjust the choke I adjusted the choke. It was only a few degrees from where I put a mark from before.

The next morning when I put in the boat started right up, idled to the wakeless boundary, planed out and ran great for a few minutes. Then sputtered and shut off. Same symptoms as before. Kept restarting and moving down lake and it began running smoothly again. No problems the rest of the day.

Any ideas?
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 1:27pm
I had a similiar issue many years ago and embarassingly took me 2 years to find the problem. The difference here is that mine never ran right. It would idle and rev in neutral all day long. However, once under way and above about 2200 rpm, it would bog and die unless I back off the throttle.

I could not fix it, the boat shops could not fix it. Finally, I found the problem...I was using a too large hose clamp on the aeroquip fuel line I was using. Since the clamp was too large, it was not properly sealing the fuel line around the in line fuel filter and I was sucking air into the fuel. This in turn caused the fuel bowls on the carb to run dry when running under load above 2200rpms. The proper sized hose clamp fixed the problem.

So, maybe you are sucking air into your fuel line ahead of the pump somewhere. Or, the pick-up screen (if one exists) is partially blocked.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 2:42pm
I think if you had a fuel pump or fuel line or float problem you wouldn't run fine later in the day, the problem wouldn't go away. So, I'd look closer at ignition.

Is this a conventional coil and points ignition? If so I'd look at the coil first, intermittant spark problems at higher rpms are sometimes a weak coil or one that changes output when heated up. I'd also disconnect each plug wire and reconnect, making sure they are in good condition.

Hope this gives you a start.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 6:45pm
I failed to note that it has the petronix breakerless conversion from the old points and condenser. Been that way for several years without a problem.

I suspected choke because it was okay until I adjusted it. Thought maybe once the engine was warm the choke stayed off the rest of the day so it was no longer a problem.

I will go back through all of the fuel line connections and clamps. I will also check out the plug wires. They are the MagStar marine wires. Perhaps I'll replace the coil as well.

Thanks for your input.
Bill
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 7:25pm
did you try resetting the choke to the setting it was at before the problem accurred to see if it goes away?
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2007 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

did you try resetting the choke to the setting it was at before the problem accurred to see if it goes away?

yeah, I had a witness mark scribed into the choke. When it started acting up Mrs. Bum said "so, you adjusted the choke did you?" Actually the adjustment from where it was before I messed with it was very close. Anyhow, after moving it back to the previous setting it continued to be a problem.
Bill
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 3:03pm
Bill, by your original post, you had the problem once, changed the fuel filter/water seperator and then was fine. Then did the choke adjustment.

I think you still have an issue from the original problem that the filter didn't fix. This issue just doesn't sound like a choke problem. Could certainly be an issue with the fuel delivery, but that seems way too inconsistant.

There have have been numerous cutout issues like this posted before and I think that the Pertronix module might be starting to go out on you, or maybe the coil. I know that others have commented on here that the symtoms sound the same as what you're having. Just a thought.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 3:23pm
Bill:

Sometimes, random electrical/ignition problems can be attributed to a loose ground wire somewhere. Check all your ground points and make sure they are tight and corrosion free.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:53pm
Tightened all of the hose clamps on the fuel delivery system. Cleaned, inspected, and used tune up grease on each of the plug wires at each end. Replaced the coil. Inspected and tightened all of the ingition wiring and ground connections.

Hope to ski a few sets after work tomorrow. Find out if I made a difference. Thanks for your input.
Bill
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 6:19pm
Bill,

Way off topic but I thought you mentioned looking for TSC1 boat, this was on PN and I would think this is pretty cheap for a 97', perhaps it needs a lot of work.

97 Ski
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 7:26pm
That '97 is almost in my backyard if I can help.
Greg
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 8:31pm
BuffaloBFN what state is that in, and what area???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 8:54pm
Cumming...yea it's ok to laugh at that...is the western side of lake lanier in northeastern georgia. It's about an hour's drive from atlanta. It's also about a 20 min boat ride from our dock on little river(part of lanier) and a good reason to have lunch at holiday marina!

side note 87, I'm envious of your stringers and floor as I know who did them    
Greg
1988 BFN-sold

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Bill,
Way off topic but I thought you mentioned looking for TSC1 boat, this was on PN and I would think this is pretty cheap for a 97', perhaps it needs a lot of work. 97 Ski

Thanks for keeping an eye out, but I need to sell the 87 SN before I can get a new boat. As for the lot of work part - I don't mind.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 9:29pm
Skibum-why the change of heart? I would've guessed that you'd want to be buried in that boat after all the time and work. I don't mean to be out of place, but you know what was done and more importantly, HOW it was done...

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 2:30pm
BuffaloBFN, how far from Buford are you, also how far from La Grange
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Skibum-why the change of heart? I would've guessed that you'd want to be buried in that boat after all the time and work. ...

I did all of that work to maximize the performance of the 87. I would really like to just buy a new 07 SN but prices are out of control. A 97 SN with the TSC hull and fuel injection will be a significant upgrade and may actually fit my budget. If I do sell the 87 I will be able to honestly tell the buyer that it is a great boat. Soon as I figure out what is going on with this random stalling problem - that is.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 3:36pm
What exactly are you chasin? I have to do most of the work you did on your 87 this winter, and I'm ready to get to it! And I'll be damn proud of it.

maybe you need a BFN...the 454 is not talked about as much here, but the power, holeshot(I have to warn new drivers not to treat it as a 351...WOT hurts!), and general workability are dead in line!

I pull a number of younger boarders in my neighborhood and they would much rather see me coming than an 60-80 thousand dollar fiasco!   LOL   ...with mega payments and no hope of actually owning the boat...and not having the privilage of calling her 'her'

the girls now, I'll have to say different, they like the expensive ones...but aren't you married?!!? :)   and aren't the married ones the ones to impress?!!?   LOL

I could have a newer boat, but dave ramsey comes to mind...     http://www.daveramsey.com/

Cash is king and I'm better than I deserve!

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 3:42pm
87, I can do buford by water...LaGrange is aprox 1.75 hrs from here by car...why?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 8:58pm
There are two BFN's for sale on the site down there. The 90 I am thinking really ahrd about, if it's still for sale emailed the guy but no response so far.. There is also and 87 BFN down there for sale thinking about. Although I just bid on the 2001 sport with the python in on ebay, so we will see what happens.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 9:20pm
I should have so much money!   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic