NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick Question, Gasket sealer on.....

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quick Question, Gasket sealer on.....
    Posted: July-30-2007 at 1:34pm
Replacing a circ pump on my nautique, my new one should be here from DIM any day now. Should I use a gasket sealer on the gasket?

You should see the condition of the one I pulled off, must've been original, the bearings are beyond shot.

Also, the backing plate on the old pump, does the new pump come with that plate?
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 4:20pm
Mark, is your engine a Small Block Ford? If I remember correctly, there is no plate on the rear of the 351W Ford pump. When you pull the pump, the impeller is exposed, right? The timing cover contains the cavity that houses the impeller once the pump is mounted. I believe this is correct. May need another CC engine guy to chime in and say for sure.

You can use some RTV on the gasket but is is not necessary. I like Ultra Blue. It's the best stuff I've ever used.

Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 4:24pm
Hmmm, It is a 351w. There was a plate on the back of the pump and the pump is marked Ford in an oval.

I took the plate off to try and see the inside of the pump and it's failed componants.
1978 Nautique

nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 5:07pm
Okay, maybe I've got my engines confused. Sorry for the misinformation. You can always call Discount Inboard Marine. They are very knowledgeable with that engine.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 7:00pm
Yeah Nutty is a little nutty in this case. We should all have the problem of confusing our various inboard engines.. The new pump will come with that plate probably already installed. Your going to want to silicone (ultra blue is fine and readily available) at least around the water passages. I usually apply a thin even layer with a putty knife to the pump and the timing cover and then sandwhich the gasket inbetween. Make sure you clean up the timing cover well, the pcm cast iron ones are prone to corrosion near the water passages. I had to use some epoxy to rebuild mine around one of the water passages last time because it was badly corroded
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 7:05pm
Thanks Joe.

Now if I can remember which bolt came from which hole as they all were different sizes.
1978 Nautique

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 2:19am
My buddy has a 95 Mastercraft with the 350 Indmar. It's making a horrible high pitch squeel when it first starts (like a loose belt), but then it goes away. I'm thinking it's the circulation pump bearings going. Does that sound right to you guys? Any other possibilities?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2007 at 11:47am
The Dude;
What kind of shape is the belt in (cracks, glazing, belt dust, etc.)? Second, is the belt tight?

If the belt is good, try removing it and then spin the circulation pump pulley by hand and see if there is any resistance or rough spots. Also verify that there is no play in the pulley if you try to move it around (in/out or side/side).

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic