Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil and filter Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
keegan99usa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil and filter Recommendation
    Posted: July-30-2007 at 1:34pm
Ok guys, let's here it, what do you recommend for the old girl? 1991 SNCB 320 hours on the 351, 240 HP. I was thinking synthetic, is this the way to go and what brand, weight etc. Also brand of filters.
Thanks a lot.
Dan
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 1:52pm
Dan, the answers that you receive here will be various and complex.
There are those that will run only synthetic,others 10/30 Castol or Valvoline or other hi quality gasoline oils.
then there are us that are running the diesel oils for the heavy metals needed to prevent cam wipe out.
Boat dr uses the 40 weight Rotella T and a Wix filter.
The mind set here is kinda like what brand of beer or what color is her hair......
There has been a lot of cam failure of late with the reformulation of the modern oils,my advice is beware of the "new" oils.........
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 1:56pm
No synthetic in our Ford 351w's! Ive said it here many times (try a search), but our old-tech flat tappet cam motors need oils that have zinc additives. Newer oils (especially synthetics) are too slippery and dont provide enough lubrication for the metal on metal contact patch between the cam and lifters. Check this article for more info.

Personally, I run Shell Rotella-T 15w40. Valvoline Racing oil is also supposed to be very good. For filters, Motorcraft, Wix (Napa), Mobil1 and Purolator are all good. Stay away from Fram and Pennzoil.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 1:59pm
Tim, while you're throwing filter names out there, is it wise to match up a Mobil 1 synthetic oil filter while running conventional oil?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Tim, while you're throwing filter names out there, is it wise to match up a Mobil 1 synthetic oil filter while running conventional oil?

I dont see why not. As far as I know, there is nothing that makes the M1 filter more compatible with synthetic oil than it does with conventional. From what Ive read its just a high quality filter. Personally, at nearly $10/ea, theyre a little too rich for my blood. I buy the Wix in bulk at $3-4.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 7:49pm
I run similar to the Dr and TRBenj. The Rotella is hard to beat especially for a solid cam set-up.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
keegan99usa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keegan99usa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2007 at 8:01pm
Thanks Guys! So looking forward to Green Lake next year. I could not make it this year, but already have my room for next year. They had better not move it the the following weekend though cause Wisconsin State Show Tourny is that weekend and then I'm sure I could not make it.
Later guys
Lorenr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorenr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2007 at 6:18pm
The manufacturers of Delo 400 and Shell Rotella are changing their formulations over to LE for the new diesels.

I was told that all Delo 400 is now Low Emission except the 50 gallon drums. Don't know about Rotella.

Zinc and other metals are hard on the new diesel emission systems.

Once the camshaft is broken in you can use any oil. Break-in is anywhere from 2 minutes to a couple of hours. Pretty soon we will need to go to roller cams.

I've been thinking about going to a junk yard and getting a steel cam and roller lifters out of a 302-351, adding a set of push rods and seeing how well it works. The duration on a roller cam might really help a ski boat. I've heard that the parts are dirt cheap used, extremely durable and can be reused unlike flat tappets.
Lorenr
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2007 at 12:02am
If you have a left hand or conventional rotation thats all fine and dandy,these parts are not compatable with right hand or reverse rotation engines.
So we will have to change out engines and props to run the newer oils......boat dr
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2007 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

For filters, Motorcraft, Wix (Napa), Mobil1 and Purolator are all good. Stay away from Fram and Pennzoil.

I agree Fram filters suck. stay away from them. I posted a link here before to a website that took all the filters apart and graded them. Almost all of then were at least decent except for the Fram.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2007 at 4:53pm
...im a pennzoil guy all the way(15w-40) and of course ford motorcraft filters..whats wrong with pennzoil oil?..i was always told stay away from fram and quaker state oil....whenever i change the oil i always add a quart of marvel to it....no problems yet!
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2007 at 7:09pm
Corrosion will destroy your engine faster than most anything else, best thing you can do is use your boat often.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 8:04pm
.....looks like you might have some corrosion in your motor from sitting on that fancy lift of yours!
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 12:03am
Yup lots of corrosion this week since the steering has been broke, started fixing it tonight.

Since I put the canopy on and quit covering it there is no mildew in it.

Seriously though, your motor has been ran hard, just as mine. Couple others on the lake that have sat alot have been having problems.

Mine has always had a fram filter on it...1700 hours on the clock.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2007 at 12:38am
...was unaware your steering broke .....need a hand give me a ring.
Buckeye1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buckeye1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 10:15am
I sold my '96 Sport this year and was lucky enough to get the Mrs. to go along with getting a slightly used 2006 SN 196 with the Excalibur 5.7. Can you guys give me suggestions on oil and filter for this engine? Thanks a bunch. John
John
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Spoke to a tech at PCM today, the Excalibur does not need the Zinc additive, also asked about the proper oil spec for the 15W-40 (5W-30 below 50deg) as depending on where you look PCM calls for "SJ", "SL" or "SM", he indicated any of those specs are fine.
They do not recommend any specific brand of oil, Havoline is what is used at the factory.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic