Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas in oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas in oil
    Posted: August-01-2007 at 4:24pm
I was out this past weekend and had a strong gas smell coming from the engine area. Stopped engine and checked all the lines. They are all good. I went to check the oil and am smelling gas in the oil. I continued to inspect and noticed oil in the bilge which is definately new. I am guessing I need to do an oil change and check my findings again? I was out on the lake and was speaking with a gentlemen who had owned 2 or 3 older correct crafts and had mentioned overfilling the gas on them can be very dangerous ( ie: gas coming out the overflow on the back ). I did run it for a bit longer a little unsafe but I wanted to test the gas smell and it did go away. So I guess I have multiple questions..... Can an overfill get gas in the oil? I am guessing not, but I am not a pro.........Gas in the oil has me suspecting that there is a problem with the heads?.........Finally, could the oil leak have just been coincidence with the gas smell or does that make any sort of sense. Any input is appreciated.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 6:39pm
No as the other guy told you over filling the tank will just make it come out the vent at the back, as the boat changes angles while driving it may spill out more thne usual. gas in the oil would usually be from worn rings, gas enters the chamber then runns down the cyclender walls. As for the oil leak it could be from almost anywhere. Wipe down all surfaces and change the oil. After this verify oil is at correct level, then take the boat for a ride. Check the oil level after the ride and look over all the surfaces of the engine to see if you have a leak.
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2007 at 7:42pm
As 87 stated, fuel in oil would most likely be from worn rings. Make sure the carb isn't flooding after shutdown. Fuel could leak from carb and wash down the cylinders past the rings. This is not good for the motor at all. Definitely clean all areas as 87 said, so you can notice the oil leak. Check for oil leaking from the rear main and also where the drain hose goes into the oil pan. I would also check the vent hose on running from the tank to the vent; you may have split vent hose that is leaking fuel in the bilge instead of outside the boat. Please post with your findings.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 12:41am
Did you check your sight tube from your fuel pump? Does it have any fuel in it? I think marine fuel pumps have two diaphrams in them. If the first one ruptures, fuel will back up into the sight tube. But if both of them rupture, I believe fuel can find it's way into the crankcase and into the oil. It's been a few years since I've taken one apart but I believe this can happen. Let us know what you find. Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 11:17am
nutty, I have a feeling the 318 is too old to have it the double diaphram and sight tube.

Spiev, If you unbolt the fuel pump and pump the lever by hand, you shouldn't get any gas on the crankcase side of the pump. If you do, the diaphram has a hole in it and gas is getting into the oil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 1:19pm
Pete, now that I looked at his post again I think you're right about the sight tube and diaphram. I overlooked the age thing. The 318 should have tipped me off. Thanks for setting me straight.

Former boats:
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2007 at 1:52pm
All very useful info. I won't be able to get to anything until the weekend, but I will report my findings. I just assumed the oil leak was a seperate item, ie: oil pan gasket, or valve cover gasket I am hoping. I will be yanking the engine in the winter to do multiple repairs to the boat itself and whatever repairs on the motor. With luck it won't need a rebuild or anything but I will know quickly is my guess. I'll keep this one alive with reporting my findings as I am guessing others have encountered some similar symptoms.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 1:59pm
Well, I was able to take a quick look at things yesterday. I was able to clean the engine a bit with degreaser and it looks like the oil leak is from the valve cover from what I saw. Which will surely be an easy fix. As far as the gas in the oil, I have not gotten that far. I did check it again and it is strong there appears to be a lot in there. The oil was definately thin and reeked of gas. I had a quick question on the carb flooding after shutdown that racintg mentioned. I had adjusted the idle speed from 1200 down to 700 (way too high.....previous owner), the same weekend issues occurred. I did not adjust the idle mixture though because it idled excellent. Just wondering if that could cause my problems and after an oil change what can I do to make sure it does not happen again (lower mixture?) And Pete, if you get a chance if you could go in depth on the fuel pump and the right side and getting gas on the crankcase side, I don't think I quite understand. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 2:01pm
My fault also, there is no sight tube from arrestor to pump.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 4:46pm
Spievy, with the amount of gas you are discribing that is in your oil, I'm pretty sure it's coming from the fuel pump and not the carb.

Your fuel pump has a spring loaded diaphram that is driven by an arm actuated by the engine's camshaft. As the diaphram is driven in one direction by the arm, it draws fuel from the tank. As it relaxes under spring pressure the diaphram pushes the fuel through the line and into the carb. If the diaphram developes a crack (which it will over time), fuel will leak past the diaphram and into your crankcase right past where the arm is located.

Sounds like it's time for a new fuel pump and an oil change. Hope this helps! Brian

Former boats:
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2007 at 7:41pm
The idle mixture screws would never flood the carb enough to put that much fuel in the crankcase. I didn't take into consideration what fuel pump you have. If it is the old single-diaphragm, then I agree with nutty...the diaphragm/fuel pump is "shot". Also, what carb do you have?

Lakeland, FL
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 2:03pm
Well from the info that you both sent over that would be a lot better than having to remove the engine to replace the rings, at least immediately. I do have a small oil leak but that can wait. I should be able to repair the head cover gaskets while in the boat. Concerning the fuel pump I am guessing or rather hoping Skidim would carry that pump. Also on the carb, it is a Carter AFB. It also needs a new gasket. I have some vacuum issues surrounding it's mounting area. I have heard two stories on Carter's one stating they are junk and to replace with a Holley. I also have heard they are long lasting too though. I really have not had any real issues though thus far.....coughing a few times but I assume that is normal it is 40 years old. I did some cleaning and it seems to have cured a lot of that anyways. I will pull the pump and see what I come up with. I already took a look and it looks really old so I am hoping that a new one cures the problem. Any suggestions on something different to obtain the second diaphram if you feel it would help??
1968 Mustang 318 CM
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 2:14pm
Spievy, I'd walk into Napa with the pump in hand. They may not have it on the shelf but it shouldn't be a problem getting. If the pump is screwed together, you should be able to get a rebuild kit for it as well. Even if it is riveted they can be rebuilt.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Spievy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spievy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 2:18pm
Thanks Pete, that sounds easier than what I anticipated.
1968 Mustang 318 CM
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2007 at 4:39pm
Spievy, I agree with 8122 on the fuel pump. As for the Carb., "Dance with the one who brung ya" (Southern for stick with what you got). There is nothing wrong with an AFB, get some new base gaskets and make sure it's all clean. Rebuild it if you have to, they are really simple carbs (plenty of info on the net to help you). Everybody has their opinion on carbs, but for the most part the Holleys and Carters are just fine. Make sure you get those vacuum leaks fixed and get that new fuel pump on; then post back with your findings.

Lakeland, FL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic