FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inexpensive Protection for Your Engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inexpensive Protection for Your Engine
    Posted: September-01-2004 at 5:22pm
Do you struggle to to keep an eye on all your gauges while you're out on the water? Do you ever wonder what those lake weeds will do to your impeller?

The Sherwood Sea Water Strainer and an accompanying Audible Engine Warning Alarm from SKIDIM.com provide a simple and inexpensive solution for protecting and monitoring the 'vitals' of your Correct Craft's engine.

I recently tested these two products on my boat and found that not only where they affordable, but the work extremely well and are simple to install.

Read the complete review.
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
351Mustang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 351Mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2005 at 11:32pm
Keith,

Back in August 2004, I bought my first boat - a 1966 Mustang that was upgraded from a 302 to a 351. On the second weekend I had the boat a relative to the boat out and it started to overheat. I found the problem to be that the water coolant impeller vaines had disinitgrated. I suspect that they started the engine up before they had lowered the shore station into the water. As a result, I have become parinoid about the engine overheating as I have multiple drivers and they tend not to watch the temperature guage.

I read your article on the engine temperature/pressure audible alarm and the strainer. Last week I order both units from DIM and plan on installing them when I get the boat out of storage in mid April.

From the images, it appears that the cooling inlet line crossed the transmission and you centered the striner over the transmission. Is this true? On my 1966 Mustang, the intake is on the port side of the engine, with a lot shorter inlet hose. Hopefully, I will have enough room to install the strainer and still be able to view the bowl.

I will also have to figure out where to install the temperature and pressure sensors into the engine block. I am also thinking about putting a hidden 'maintenance' switch in series with the alarm module in the event I have engine starting problems and need to diagnose them. Naturally, I will not inform the other drivers of the hidden switch!
Derek View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2005 at 9:20pm
Let me give you another indicator on a 2002 196 Correct Craft Ski Nautique. If you have a lake temp gauge on the boat, it is teed into the intake line prior to the sherwood strainer. If the lake temp stays above what the typical lake water should be, you will know that your impeller is not working. For example the water temp stayed at 117 F when it should have been more like 70 degrees. No new lake water was being sucked into the system. This would have resolved the impeller issue before watching the boat exceed 220 overheating and knowing there was a problem. We could have shut down the boat right away and never been in any danger of hurting the motor.
mjg100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjg100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2006 at 8:21pm
I will tell you another thing to watch out for.15 years ago when I first bought my boat My 1984 SN2001 overheated due to an old impeller.I was watching the temp. gauge and I shut down the engine. We were close to my dock so my wife and I pushed/pulled the boat to the dock. We took our time playing around doing this and waited for the boat to cool. Since the exhaust flaps were closed due to water pressure, as the engine cooled it placed the air in the plastic mufflers in a vacum. One of the mufflers colasped, cooled and stayed that way. I had to buy a new muffler. If I had only raised the flaps for just a second or two this would not have happened. The first thing that I would do to an older CC is to install electronic ignition. The second thing would be a PSS shaft seal. I did this many years ago and our boat has run like a new boat ever since. I do change oil and filters every season and I installed a new carb a few years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic