Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need to get in the insurance business!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need to get in the insurance business!
    Posted: August-27-2007 at 8:41am
Thursday afternoon we had a storm that went through parts of the Chicago metro area and it decided to pick my house to create more than the normal damage. Some of the tops of the still standing trees in my yard are twisted off so it seems that a tornado touched down. I was able to find a tree guy, so on a emergency basis he come in and at least removed the tree blocking my drive way. He will be back later to do the remaining $8500.00 of tree removal!! The bad thing about this is finding out that very little is covered under my homeowners insurance! I've had the house for 33 years and have probably paid close to 100K and this is the first claim I have ever put in! Now I find out that a tree needs to hit your house to be covered and then only the removal and not the hauling is covered! I haven't even gotten to my garden/yard shed yet!

I was without power for over 72 hours. My battery backup sump pump ran because of the VERY heavy rain, continuose for 14 hours and then the battery voltage dropped to the point that the pump wouldn't lift the head. At 6AM with a small camping generator that wouldn't start (I could have plugged in the battery charger) my alternate was to run a 100' wire from my truck to the sump pump. The voltage drop in the 100' was about 2 volts but that was getting about 11.5 to the pump which was enough to pump. I only ended up with about 1" of water in the lower spot around the sump in the basement.

Now the latest that The Hartford insurance wants, is proof of purchase for my garden/yard shed and the contents: mower, snow blower, roto tiller, walk behind blower, chipper/shreader, and all the misc. etc. things!!

Trying to get to the shed! This is a shot of after I got the chain saw out to remove some of the trees so I could look inside the shed!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 9:13am
Sorry about your luck...I guess you've noticed who has the biggest buildings in every city in this country?

http://clarkhoward.com/    has some good info on insurance companies and even how the regular guy can bully an ins. co. in some situations

Pete, this won't help you but maybe someone else...Clark reccomends a yearly home movie be made to document items in the home and as proof of home improvements.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 9:24am
Insurance companies aren't in the business because they care about the people they insure. I can't remember where, but I saw an advertisement for an insurance company that specialized in fallen tree coverage since most home owner policies don't cover all the expenses involved. Kinda like the flood insurance.

Too bad about your damages. Hope you get things back to normal soon.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 10:22am
Just remember one solid fact...banks borrow money from insurance companies,
Pete i feel for you but sometimes its a good thing, A guy like me would roll the old car over there and hang a pair of legs under one of the branches. After 10 years of being insured thru allstate in which my mom was my agent i filed a kitchen fire claim and they dropped my coverage after that and i had to switch to state farm. good luck with the clean up
"the things you own will start to own you"
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 7:23pm
They (insurance) suck a little more down here in hurricane country.
Tim D
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2007 at 7:43pm
Sorry for the damage you suffered. I am with Tim D, I live in Florida and homeowners insurance here excludes more than it covers and is not worth a dime short of a total loss from fire.
hasbeenskier
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 1:19am
Sorry about all your mess Pete; we had a similar situation here in KC a few years ago with ice damage, power loss, and huge number of downed trees. Same stories about insurance.

I'm glad you are personally not hurt; and I assume the boats are safe!

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 8:29am
Chuck, Yes the most important items (the boats) are safe! I do have power back but across my street they still don't have it! The $8500 pro is comming back in today and clearing up all the downed trees as well as topping the ones who's tops are twisted off. It's real funny to find sunlight on and in the house where there wasn't any before!
All my yard equipment came out of my shed with only minor sheet metal damage which I was surprised to find. A 24" lawn roller was holding up the bulk of the tree! This is actually good because I found out the reason the insurance want's proof of purchace is so they can depreciate the values as low as possible. Knowing them now, they would depreciate into the negative to a point I would owe them money!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 10:23am
time to buy a reciept book
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 2:09pm
I like lawyers more than insurance companies.

At least if you pay a lawyer stupid amounts of money they will try and get something done for you. I dont think it matters how much you pay insurance companies they will try to weazel out of helping you.
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 7:16pm
Lawyers never lose....they still get paid
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 7:18pm
Just remember Pete, you bought everything new last year, they them dis-prove that, if they say it looks older than that tell them your rough on your equipment
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2007 at 9:19pm
It's a big game. Don't be in a hurry to settle. They start low, so be sure you start high. You'll meet in the middle when they decide it's time to make it go away.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 8:18am
Well, the tree removal contractor came back yesterday with his crew of 6 and spent all day finishing up. They ended up finding 2 more trees under the downed ones. They even found a box elder of about 16' dia. that took out my back neighbors fence that they left. That tree is one of the ones on the lot line and one that is questionable on really who's tree is it? We'll see what happens as I haven't seen that neighbor yet.

It's amazing how you get used to a certain look of your yard and even the amount of sun on and in the house. Now it's a big time difference that will take some getting used to! Of coarse, even though my back yard is and was wild (not formally landscaped) there is still lots of clean up I need to do. I also need to deal with my backyard storage shed. It turns out that the company Heartland who made the first one is still around so there is a chance they can reuse the treated wood floor and base.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2007 at 9:24am
Glad your boats weren't there. That would have been a horrifying picture to see one of your nice boats under all that mess, especially the Atom.
RainDog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RainDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 3:09am
Too bad all of those trees weren't mahogany. You could build 2 Atoms and 1 X55 with scraps for an Aristocraft.

Hope things turn out OK.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 12:17pm
Pete if your policy is a replacement type coverage then they cannot depreciate your items they have to replace them at what ever the cost is, provided it doesn't exceed the policy limits. Just argue and bitch with the claims adjuster a few times then say,

"well it doesn't look like we are going to come to an agreement on this, so give me the name and number of the VP of claims and I'll work it out with them"

By law they have to provide you this information, on the spot right then and there, in person or on the phone doesn't matter. Actually do it over the phone and record the conversation, you don't have to tell them you are recording the conversation, you just can't be a third party recording it, you have to be part of the conversation for it to be legal and addmissable in court.

Screwed Allstate, State Farm and a couple others over the years with knowledge my friend, a claims adjuster, told me about.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Actually do it over the phone and record the conversation, you don't have to tell them you are recording the conversation, you just can't be a third party recording it, you have to be part of the conversation for it to be legal and addmissable in court.

Just an FYI. In California, it is actually a crime, punishable by fine and jail time, to record a phone conversation without all party's knowledge. I don't know what the laws are in other states. BKH
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2007 at 12:35pm
In Indiana that is way the law is written or atleast that's the way it was when I was going through my custody battle with the ex-wife.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic