Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water temp Sender / Gauge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
77nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water temp Sender / Gauge
    Posted: September-21-2007 at 6:27pm
Hello,

I have a 77 ski nautique 351 PCM Ford that needs a water temperature sender as well as a gauge as mine is missing from the dash. Any thoughts on the size of the sender as well as where to purchase both items.....

Thank you!
David Lewis

77 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 6:53pm
I replaced all the gauges in my 77 Tique and found that Go2Marine had the best prices. They aren't a exact match but close. The originals aren't made any more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 7:01pm
Hey Pete,

THank you for the info. Are all water temp gauges the same size to match the hole? Also, do you know anything about the water temp sender? I found some but were all different sizes. Last question, where would i find a wiring diagram for my 77 Nautique. Update- replacing the auto carb next week with a Holley 600 CFM as well as purchased a new Delco 100 amp 3wire. Getting close to the finished project for this year. Next year is a complete engine rebuild.

Thanks!
David Lewis

77 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 7:56pm
Yes, all the gauges except the hour meter are the same size. The hour meter is I think maybe 1/8" smaller but will cover the hole. I put some tape around the case to center it in the hole. My file is up north with the boat so I can't look up the temp sender but the only difference is the NPT pipe size. I think mine was 3/8 but you had better check. Oh, The gauges that are closest to the original are the Vector series. I'll post the wiring diagram. You will need to convert to a volt meter instead of the amp but since you are doing the 100 amp alternator it is needed anyway.

Edit: while I was behind the dash I did change all the fuse holders because the word "fuse" were off mine. All the .250 quick connect Sta-kons were loose and needed changing too. The originals were a brass that was so brittle that they would break when I tried to tighten them up by squeezing them. I had some voltage drop issues that went away with some terminal and connector cleaning. Some dielectric grease will go along way towards future protection.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 8:24pm
THanks for the info...Is it easy to convert from a volt meter from an amp meter, simply take one out and put another in? Also, where would i find a volt meter?
David Lewis

77 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 8:55pm
The Vector series only has a volt meter available. I would replace all your gauges so they match. Wiring the volt meter is easy! The easy way is to shunt the old amp meter (connect the red and orange wires together) and then the volt meter needs a ground and a switched (ign. term on the switch) positive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2007 at 9:33pm
I will be replacing the water temp sending unit and the water temp gauge tomorrow. I will have to wait for the alternator and carb for the following weekend as they are arriving next week. I will keep you updated. Your help is much appreciated, thank you for the wiring diagram. have a great weekend, Pete.
David Lewis

77 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2007 at 11:05am
David, It sounds like you have gotten the gauge and the sender already. What did you get?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic