NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1967 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 12:46pm
Made some good progress and took the Mustang for its first ride yesterday. About everything is complete and it is ready to have the vinyl floor and seats installed.

It ran good, except for it doesn't start well. Once it starts it runs good. It is definately over propped with the 12x11 on it as it would only turn a little over 3000 rpms. We'll try it with the 12x8 next time.

What would make this start so hard, cold or hot?

Pictures are posted on page 4.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 1:06pm
Bruce,
Looking GOOD!!! What carb are you running? Mine has the old Carter YH sidedraft. Wasnt expecting to see the downdraft on yours.

I'm surprised it will only pull 3gs with the 11. Ive been running a 12-12, with the old junk head and pulling 33 to 3400. Anxious to get mine out to see what the "new' head will do. (Waiting for an accelerator pump for the carb).
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 1:18pm
Steve, it's a Carter 1 barrel. I forget the model. I believe it is the original set up and has not been converted. I may have been losing a little bit of top end due to the linkage, but only about 1/4". (Also had the whole family, (5)in the boat). The 12x11 is cupped.

There are 2 screws on the carb, one for the idle adjustment and one that looks like a needle valve. I've turned them till it idles the best, but cannot figure why it doesn't want to start.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2010 at 1:26pm
Boat has come a long way. Looks nice. Almost there. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 1:05pm
My son spent 7 hours wet sanding and buffing the motor box yesterday. It came back amazingly good.

Poor starting was due to an air leak in the newly installed water seperating fuel filter.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 1:11pm
Looks great Bruce. Now your son just has to do that 10 times over on the rest of the boat!!!

Great Project
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 1:22pm
Alan, I told him I'd like him to have to whole boat done by the weekend and he just looked at me. I was even calling him Majicman trying to stroke his ego a little bit, but it didn't work. He was pretty wiped out last night. Goal is to have it done by the NE Reunion.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 2:07pm
Bruce,
Looks great. Now with all the problems with kids finding jobs these days, he could go into boat buffing!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 2:25pm
Pete, he started a 25' lobster style boat last week. I think one side of its bow has more area than the entire Mustang. He's learned it all from CCF.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 3:55pm
bruce that color is something. did you see the thread on the sky lark and the two boats on ossipee?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 5:38pm
Peter, haven't seen it. I went over to the camp a few weeks ago to see if that Mustang and junk Skylark were still there, but they're gone. The whole place had been cleaned up and there was no sign of them.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 10:33pm
they are in the channel between the lake and broad bay. they have been there in the water every yr for the last six or so . it might be worth a drop in the water there some time there is a guy there with an injected mustang i think i am not sure his name on here but it seems he is a member . he is at the sand bar frequently maybe he can get pics for you
Waldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 10:55pm
Motor Box looks awesome.

Waldo
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 12:37am
Bruce,the boat looks great! Looks like you've got a good handle on it now. Gary
Watch your fingers.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 8:38am
Gary,
Where have you been???

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 10:39am
The boat was completed after almost 3 years. It came out better than expected and we did far more work to it than we anticipated when we bought it. I fell off the picture taking along the way, so these are about all we have for pictures at the end of the project.

This boat would never have come out so good without the help of everyone on CCF. It was a great first project and a good example of what first time beginners can do with a little bit of help from their friends.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2010 at 9:10pm
beautiful Bruce.. did you just wet sand and buff?    what did you do with chips and chunks if any .
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2010 at 12:52am
Peter wet sanded and buffed. There are some chips and junks. We'll live with them along with the ugly snaps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic