NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Used Muffler

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 11:27am
Good idea. Mufflers with no baffles. Years ago I remember my older brother's friends buying glass packs and pouring kero in them and burning the baffles out before installing them on their cars. It improved the sound.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 11:47am
Buf

Mine are in the floor. I probably won't take them out, but wouldn't mind if they were gone. Mine, just like all the othere 454's, sounds great, even with the mufflers.
You said "one" of your baffles was loose? If you knock one out, wouldn't you have to knock out both for balance? Just a thought.
I agree with the thought that without mufflers, it still won't be as loud as the Baja's.

Steve
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 12:20pm
Mercury makes a beautiful set of baffles that mount right on the transom, they are about the size of a coffee can cut in half with stainless tips that go out the back, they are for 3" hose. they quiet the boat just enough and keeps the rumble. I installed them many times on the nusance boats because of the complaining neihbors.
"the things you own will start to own you"
jameski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 12:32pm
BuffaloBFN,
I might have one. What does yours look like? I have the originals off of my '78 Martinique. One of them lost its baffles and I couldn't find a single original replacement, so I ordered a new pair from SECC. The new replacements are not exactly like the originals, but they seemed to sound and perform about the same. The originals are light blue. I can't remember the diameter, I'll have to get them out from under the house.
current boat
94 Sport Nautique
previous boat
78 Martinique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 12:37pm
Ok Greg, I'm going for the compromise - Punch the loose one out and do the same to the other side for balance. There should be several baffles inside so you will end up with sort of 2/3rd's muffling!! The mufflers were always on the fragile side so another layer of glass and epoxy around the outside wouldn't hurt.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2008 at 10:43pm
James, I'll try to get a pic up for comparison.
Thanks!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 12:38am
lose the mufflers, i removed mine 20 years ago and replaced them with aluminum stacks that you would see on a semi, big block sounds mean!!!
Mark 84bare12"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic