NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Throttle By Wire?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Throttle By Wire?
    Posted: February-24-2008 at 10:44am
Has anyone chaged from a cable to a throttle by wire set up? I have a 96 sport and may like to this change.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 2:26pm
Skier, sounds like a good idea......
Boats and electronics have a way of not working together to achieve that magic weekend.
That old push pull cable set up you have now is almost bullet proof.Not state of the art , but it seems to work well 99.9% of the time. Can the same be said for any electronics????
My take on the question is simply this,
     .......Murphys Law.......

Boat dr
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 6:04pm
transmissions have been using shift solenoids on boats for approximately the last 10 or so years, and you see them more and more everyday, i would think in 10 years from now you wont see a cable on a boat...except for steering maybe.
one thing i think a ski boat could use is a electronic trolling valve, it will dump oil pressure to the clutch paks and slow the prop speed down making it easier to dock and cruise in no wake zones
"the things you own will start to own you"
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 6:32pm
Your making a Retarder as on a big rig tranney?
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 6:35pm
Eric, higher rpms for the same output?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 6:52pm
they are in use in alot of boats, mostly in fishing boats to get the boat speed down for "trolling" the valve allows you to slip the pack and in reality you could see 10 rpms on your prop speed,...No it doesnt hurt the clutches under 1100 or so rpm, you actually are using "oil shear" between the clutch plates. what i like about them is alot of the captains forget to dis-engage the valve and power up the boat, then the clutches burn, but nowadays they have built in measures to stop that from happening...darn it
"the things you own will start to own you"
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 8:57pm
I have a tough time swiching from one boat with a cable to another boat with a fly by wire system. They have no feedback so it is tough.

I have no problem switching boats with cables.

Tim

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic