Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fuel/water separator

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel/water separator
    Posted: February-27-2008 at 9:53pm
hey hoow does the fuel/water separator works

edit: if the fuel pomp spring breaks will it cause any problem?? we have 86 SN with 351
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 11:12am
K.O., The fuel/water separator works by separating the water from the fuel!!

Really, if it is a true separator (not just filtration), it will have a area in it with a desiccant. This desiccant has a infinity for water and will absorb it (but not the gas). There is only so much that this desiccant can handle so when saturated, it will allow water in the fuel to pass thru. Water can't be filtered because water molecules are very small. Any filter that would trap water would also trap the gas.

The broken spring in a mechanical fuel pump returns the pump diaphram to the "start" position. The pump arm is mecanically pushed by the engine in one direction and then the spring pushes it back. If this spring is broken, the pump will not return to this "start" position and will not pump gas.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 11:53am
hey thanx we didn't change ours in a while and that was our mistake now theres water in the pump and was in the carb we took a fuel sample to chek it and saw that there was more water in the gas. can we replaace this spring with another spring??
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by k.o. k.o. wrote:

can we replaace this spring with another spring??

Maybe, but why bother? A brand new pump is only $70.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 12:10pm
I suggest that you get another pump or if you can find it, a rebuild kit for your exsisting. Getting just the correct spring will be a problem plus, if the spring broke other pieces in the pump may be ready to go too. You don't want to have to deal with a hole in the pump diaphram!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 12:10pm
i tought they were more expensive.. we have a boat shop here nbut they ripp every one off by selling there ***************s 3 to 4 times the cost. i'll chek on skidim thnx.. by the way can a car fuel pump be used??
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by k.o. k.o. wrote:

by the way can a car fuel pump be used??

No! The fuel pump is a marine specific part- if the diaphram ruptures, it will overflow back to the carb, rather than dump gas into the bilge. Heres the Ford pump from SkiDIM.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 12:16pm
i think we'll be ordering it. thanks guys
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 2:16pm
depending where you are located you might be able to get a marine fuel pump at a local autoparts store, I know O-reily's will ship it over night if they do not have it in stock. Some other store will also.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 2:24pm
we only have a napa store here later i'll go and chek napa if they don't have it i'll order one
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 5:57pm
what kind of belt do we need to purchase.. i saw on ski dim the belt made by pcm. can i use a non marine belt??? or there is a diffrent between marine and normal 351 belts
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 6:06pm
you can use any belt that is of the same size, there isn't a marine version that I know of. If you can still see the old numbers on the belt usually you can cross reference those to a new one.
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 6:16pm
i think the number arestill one. ther are on top of the belt right??? those are the only numbers that i can see
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2008 at 6:22pm
yes typically that is the length of the belt the first couple of numbers are the style/manufacturer and then the 4 or so are the length, with the last two being the fractional length 56-6550 would be like a 65.5" belt.

actually to a search and someone posted the actually belt numbers at one time. I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic