Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Walk thru air dams on 2005’s

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jdarwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdarwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Walk thru air dams on 2005’s
    Posted: November-17-2004 at 1:03pm
When I ordered my 2005 SN206, I assumed that it would come with the walk thru air dam as standard equipment since it was listed as such in 2004. Not the case. It is now an option. A $150 option!!!! Absolutely ridiculous. I complained to CC and they gave me the standard "we'll note your comments" reply. I stated that their competitors provide this item as standard equipment. In fact, Malibu's system is very slick. I can't imagine that a 2' x 2' piece of Sunbrella fabric costs anywhere close to $150. But if so, then just raise your base price $150! No one would notice and no one would complain. Whatever "bone-head" in the CC hierarchy made the decision to make this an option should be fired.

OK, I've ranted. Now, for the solution. I made a template of the opening and after several test-models, I've made a clear lexan piece that fits perfectly into the opening and attaches w/ dual-loc that I had left over from mounting my Goode Powershells. It sits high enough to divert wind over the windshield without compromising the ability to open the center section of the windshield. Works great and looks OEM. If anyone else out there is interested, I could probably have it made it in whatever color you want for around $35 (I'd have to check w/ the supplier). I believe it would fit all models but I'm not certain. If I could do it for $35, then you would assume that CC could do it for alot less and provide their customers with the value they purport to give. I've owned 15 CC's in my lifetime and have felt in the past that they provided the best value for the dollar. That may no longer be the case.

I'll take some pictures of my "walk-thru air dam" this weekend if anyone's interested in seeing it. Let me know.

jdarwin@lakesatcottonwood.com

jdarwin@lakesatcottonwood.com
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2004 at 2:34pm
I can aggree with you , they are going to price
the company out of business. I own several older Correct Craft Boats , I think the newest model I would possibly buy would be a 1993.
I prefer the older models . A lot of the price increase is in gimmicky types of things . I hate to say it but I think the new mastercraft boats have much more quality parts and features than the nautiques , They make thier own trailers and other items inhouse (Like Correct Craft used to ) . I personally do not see the justification for paying 50 Thousand dollars for a ski boat .
I am a die hard Correct Craft Fan , But I think the company has lost focus and people who would buy a "NEW" boat from them .
You would think they would do something RETRO looking for the 80th Anniversary , So that people who like the old boats would buy a new one ?? I wish that someone in the company had the insight to support the owners of the older boats more . What will happen in the future is people who love the old correct crafts will start to remanufacture parts themselves and sell them to the small number of hard core fans. Just look at Chris Craft , people who restore the wooden boats have tons of resources for original ( remade) parts .
With Correct Craft being the oldest family owned boat company in the US you would think they would be better , Who knows they could be owned by Brunswick Marine in the future , The new chief on board is from SEA RAY ??
Mike Thrower ( nautique frk)
502 Python View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2004 at 12:13am
Congrats on your new SN. Too bad they had to leave you angry over $150....a good dealer should have taken care of you.I have a '99 Sport that will finally be paid off in a few months and I have been toying with the idea of trading for a new one. I went to one dealer and the guy was so arrogant and useless I just couldn't bring myself to spend money with him.When I did find another dealer who was close, it was a totally different story,they were nice,helpful and very appreciative of my potential business.I will say the price for a new one nearly gave me a grabber right there on the showroom floor.I remember paying what seemed to be a small fortune for my '99 and either I am getting cheaper in my old age or the pricing is getting out of control.I understand R&D and high quality costs money but hly s*it! Mastercraft and Malibu are equally as expensive and I guess it comes down to supply and demand.People are buying these boats faster than they can make them so the price will keep going up and up and???? Enjoy your new boat, they are really,really nice!!
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2005 at 2:28pm
I guess supply and demand is what's doing it. I just don't see how people can keep paying that much money for boats.

Two things: 1) I had a really bad experience with a CC dealer in my own city last fall. I wanted to trade my older ski boat to buy a mid 90's SN. The sales guy was so arrogant and unhelpful...he really told me very little about the boat. He kept emailing me back with a lower and lower trade price until I said I would just come pick up my old boat. When I got there to pick it up, the bow stop roller had been badly bent and my battery was dead (one switch had been left on). When I emailed him about it, he never responded.

In another city in my state about 4 hours away I found a CC dealer who treated me like gold and sold me a very nice used SN. If I can help it, I'll never do any business with my local dealer.

2) I just got my Waterski Magazine. It's the boat buying guide issue. Every year I think this issue is less helpful. They used to publish prices, show wake pictures, and make negative comments as well as positive. I guess Waterski Mag is in bed with all the dealers now. What a useless rag this issue was.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
502 Python View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 502 Python Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2005 at 5:53pm
Yeah, with all those multi-page advertisements from all the manufacturers ($$$$) the magazine doesn't dare make a negative comment.A few years ago, they had some bad press on the Nautiques so CC didn't send any of their boats for the next couple of years. I think that is when it really changed as far as the commentary.
97sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 97sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2005 at 8:18pm
I to must concur, the price of the new boats are getting out of reach for the middle class. If you have a couple of kids, morgage, and bills in general how doe's these boat companys expect the average joe to flop down 50k on a new one? I to like the 90s and will probably buy a good used one instead. I do like the newer 216 sport however.
life is short live it!!!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2005 at 1:31pm
Funny everyone seems to have similiar complaints to mine on the new boats. Just recently, a friend of mine purchased an '04 boat (can't remember exactly which one as I do not see him often and am not really current on the new models). Anyway, my wife and I immediately commented to each other how gaudy we thougt the interior of the boat looked. In our oppinions, way too much chromed art deco lookin stuff everywhere. Then I mentioned how much such a boat costs (between 50-70k) and she could not believe I was telling her the truth! I am sure the quality is outstanding, but no way I could ever justify spending that kind of money...I am just too cheap (even if I could afford it).

Also, it is interesting that some of you like the early to mid '90's boat. I recently purchased a wrecked '93 from a member of this board. I am currently still deep into hull repairs, but both my wife and I really love the size and look of the boat. In fact she was made that I purchase the boat given the amount of time it take me away from the family to make the repairs, but once I trailered the boat in the driveway and she and the kids climbed in, her attitude changed immediatley...she loved it! Especially compared to our '77 Martinique (mainly due to the vastly larger room/size). So, the '77 goes on sale once the '93 is floating again. I will miss the Martinique, but it is really just too small for the five of us.

BTW: If anyone is interested in a typical before and after shot of a repaired hole, give me a shout and I will email the pictures to you.
Kworell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kworell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2005 at 1:40am
Sorry to hear that you had such a miserable experiance with your local dealer. Definately would stay away from them. Would be nice to think that CC would make good on the issue and keep a customer happy. I definately didn't think to ask about it when I bought an 04 216, but it was there. Service from the dealer was great. Maybe your dealer should have stepped up and given it to you and a matter of customer relation since thay are getting the commissions on the boat. I wouldnt even let him change the oil if I thought he was getting money for it. Been in the business for along time and the service and treatment I get at Candlewood East is the BEST. If in the area I would definately suggest that you all use them.

AbunDiga909 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbunDiga909 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2006 at 5:31pm
Hey sorry to bring back this ancient thread but just searched for Candlewood and now found Kworell...

My fam. got an '04 Air 216 from Candlewood East too, and I also think they're the best. They're amazing and treat you like royalty. Which 216 is yours, the green one? I saw that one there a lot while we were making our long frequent trips there before we finally closed the deal. If you're out on the lake or on Lilli and see the blue/black 216, wave us down I'd like to meet you guys...

~Austin
I Nautique, therefore I am.
trikeaholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikeaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2006 at 7:40pm
I also think the newer style boats are too gaudy and juvinile looking. for gods sake, 50 grand and you will look like a pimp out there or a cheap greasy "new money" type. I'll stick with the old school, has much more class, irregardles of the money spent. I would rather have 15K in a restored vintage CC than payments on an ugly, pimped out air. Kinda like the new GTI commercials. "you get an F!"
1980 Ski Nautique
Ithaca NY
My Boat
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2006 at 11:18am
My current boat is a 05' 206 Air, for me upgrading throughout the years has been primarily for reasons of performance, dependability and function however I also feel that the stern drives have always maintained good looks and lines despite what year they were built. The wake characteristics continue to improve as does the handling and technology like electronic ignition, fuel injection, fuel control cell, ballast systems and hull designs. The added bonus for me beyond the general improvements as a tow boat is the enhanced functionality/comfort as a family boat like greater seating capacity and a more comfortable ride through rough water.
I have enjoyed every Nautique I have owned from old school to new and there is no denying the price tags can be tough to swallow, but for me the enjoyment these boats provide is worth every penny.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic