Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10081
Printed Date: April-29-2024 at 1:46pm

Topic: red kneck engine hoist
Posted By: ripsaw
Subject: red kneck engine hoist
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:45am
Is there a patent on these or is this an original?

Replies:
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:46am
sweet finally got a picture to work, now if I can figure out how I did it.

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:47am
A piece of wood under the bell housing would be a lot easier wouldn't it?

-------------
Tim D

Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 1:52am
I saw a post with a cumalong on a pylon, so I thought I had to be able to move it up and down. I thought it worked pretty slick.

Posted By: 69 Mustang
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 2:24am
This here is a redneck hoist:

Before you give me a hard time about the boat in the picture, please review http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/search.asp?KW=engine+hoist&SM=1&SI=PT&FM=0&OB=1 - this post

Thank you,
Mike

-------------
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

"Where the **** are we?" Amelia Earhart. July 2, 1937

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 3:50am
ripsaw thats a pretty nice hoist, the straps are a bit redneck but the aluminum sawhorse is just too nice.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:13am
rip....you better be changing that ugly damper too...pull it off, you will regret it if you dont....punch in dampers on the search feature and read the causes and effects of a bad damper

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:13am
BTW, nice jobs on the hoists

-------------

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:26am
Originally posted by 69 Mustang 69 Mustang wrote:

This here is a redneck hoist:

Before you give me a hard time about the boat in the picture, please review http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/search.asp?KW=engine+hoist&SM=1&SI=PT&FM=0&OB=1 - this post

Thank you,
Mike

Looks like they're going to have to put some cement blocks under the legs if the engine's going to come out.

Is that boat a special anniversary addition?

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:28am
69 that is a redneck hoist, did someone do the math right? Looks like it might be a little to short to get it out. eric I figured you say that, do you want to just send one back with my tranny? p.s. I'm still stoked I got a picture to work.

Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 10:46am
Nice hoist job. I especially like the can of cheap beer in the photo! PBR is my beer of choice of working on boat projects

Next time, it may be easier to use 2 bottle jacks underneath the exhaust manifolds. A few guys on here swear by that method (never tried it myself).

-Brad

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Barracuda Barracuda wrote:

Nice hoist job. I especially like the can of cheap beer in the photo! PBR is my beer of choice of working on boat projects
-Brad

Pabst who owns the Schlitz label is test marketing the original version of the Schlitz brew in hopes of bringing back a "economical" beer!!

I'm one who swears by the bottle jack trick!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:29am
real men such as myself lift the engine by hand and block it,lol if you believe that one I'll tell you another, sometimes it is possible to lift by hand it depends where the front mounts are and the balancing point

-------------

Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 7:30pm
I didn't realize there was any other kind of beer. I like the bottle jack idea, but i've got more ratchet straps than bottle jacks.

Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:26pm
i miss schlitz and p.o.c, last resort which is what id do on v-12 cats and it works on these boats as well is to remove the back mount adjusting nuts on the top of the trans bracket, loosen the front pinch bolts and use the back remaining adjusting nuts, the ones underneath the mounts to raise the trans by turning them cc and then block the trans and bring the nuts back down....learned this method accidentally because i forgot my come alongs. works very well

-------------

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: April-08-2008 at 11:56pm
nice hoist where did the swings and slide go

Date Posted: April-09-2008 at 9:41am
for a minute Pete i thought someone contracted you to build them an a-frame

-------------

Posted By: farmer
Date Posted: April-10-2008 at 1:44am

I can draw up some plans for this one if anyone needs them.

Farmer

Date Posted: April-10-2008 at 10:45am
does the name farmer have anything to do with this? lol I'll post some pics tonight of how i am lifting a 25 bayliner, your gonna ***************, compared to your feat of engineering, you will change your opinion of me

-------------

Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: April-10-2008 at 10:46am
Gary- Like the engine crane system you have there. I was thinking the other day that a couple sections of pipe staging with heafty boards spanning two sections would make a pretty good boat or engine hoist system.
-Brad

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:21am

Brad,the staging idea should work great.A couple of braces to the ground like I used or an X brace between the staging would be good.

Eric,I look forward to your engineering mastery unveiled for all to admire.

Farmer

Posted By: Chopper
Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 6:03am
Originally posted by ripsaw ripsaw wrote:

69 that is a redneck hoist, did someone do the math right? Looks like it might be a little to short to get it out.

the redneck math looks spot on.

All you have to do is take off the wheels and drag the boat forward on the concrete.!

Simple.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1540&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000 - 98 Ski

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:17am
Farmer, it really is safe i think the way i do it, everyone says it isnt but i go under the boats all the time. I put the transom on my car lift and will lift the front with a forklift and go as high as i can. the Bayliner was pushung it though cause it weighs 7500lbs

-------------

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:21am

as you can see the cheap Bayliners dont have a lift eye up on deck so i had to use one fork on the front ring. at this point i will inch the car lift then the forklift until i get close to the ceiling and try to block

-------------

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:26am
BTW for you guys that paint thier bottems if you notice the copper paint on the boat bottem, it is a high teflon content bottem paint, it is actually smoother than the gel and sprays on as smooth as the gel. the actual color is blue and will turn color when submerged.

-------------

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:28am
Eric, I think OSHA would have some nice things to say regarding your technique! I have to look it up in my 29 CFR part 1910 standards! I seem to remember a general clause about using lifting devices outside of their intended design.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:33am
nothing a hundred dollar bill couldnt take care of

-------------

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:36am
there is a hole in the end of the fork that the ring is sitting in, im not that crazy

-------------

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:48am
I think the number of employees needed at a workplace is 10 before OSHA can come in so you probably have nothing to worry about. If you do ever run into a OSHA inspector, DO NOT consider the 100 bill trick! We would end up getting a collection of money going here with our members to bail you out of a federal jail!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 9:51am
it would be a gift

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 11:21am
Maybe the puzzle box should've been for the lift keys?!!?

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 12:52pm
while i was gone yesterday the IRS swung in apparently they dont take 100's.....more good news

-------------

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 1:09pm
I dont' know, but I'm thinking I've still got you guys beat in the redneck engineering department with this strap between two pines posted a few years back under a very similar thread. Our lift of choice is now the fork lift when available, or otherwise the classic engine hoist. But how boring.

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 1:27pm
I dont know Reid you definitely lose points with that electric chain hoist rig. My goofy ass friends have had a lot of fun with a rig like that, until someones belt loop breaks when they are 7 feet or so above the ground, after that they usually calm down.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 2:21pm
thats your wifes red neck dryer!!!

-------------

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 5:18pm
.... and it's a good thing she's never on this site. And she's perfectly content with that lone orange and white CC we have also.

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Here are my top 10 commonly asked questions for this site. What are yours?

5. Does ReidP really own all those boats, and if so, does his wife know?

BKH

Answers: Yes, No.

One question down, 71 to go.

-------------

Date Posted: April-11-2008 at 10:39pm
alright somewhere out there has to be one that utilizes true redneck tools. Bungee cords and duct tape. So far I would have to say reidp's takes the cake.

-------------
86 2001

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: July-06-2008 at 10:40am
The Aussie redneck lift. Tamworth is the country music capital of Aus so I guess I qualify.

It did the job was able to get the boat of the old rusty trailer.

The trailer is toast has serious cancer. Next project is to make the new improved version of the CC Type 3 trailer.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: May-12-2009 at 3:01pm
Ill bring this thread back from the dead since I have a few pics that seem to qualify. Probably not quite as good as Reid's set up, but using the swing set that dad built 20 years ago might still be considered redneck. This was all the way down in the back yard, so putting the engine cradle on the little boat trailer to make it portable worked well.

-------------

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: May-12-2009 at 3:43pm
I think my method is also a redneck style...but more sophisticated...

this is the crane used to download the boats...

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: May-12-2009 at 9:59pm
I knew those jetski trailer were good for something. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: The Godfather
Date Posted: May-12-2009 at 10:44pm
I just wonder how you guy's left the boat off the trailer ??

Posted By: 05 210
Date Posted: May-12-2009 at 10:56pm
   I knew Tim was a redneck long before he built the world's fastest JetSki trailer. Nice work Tim ! You gonna finish that wood or leave it natural?

Mike

-------------
http:/diaries/details.asp?ID=2219" rel="nofollow - Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: Clew In
Date Posted: May-12-2009 at 10:58pm
Hey,

All I can say is be careful around things that can fall.
Farmer, I would say you have that thing braced north and south; however, it looks like a light east or west breeze could sent it to the ground.

Stay safe and never compromise when something could fail and someone could get hurt.

Clew In

-------------
Clew In

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: May-13-2009 at 2:46am
You guys pulling your engines outside in the hot sun with the possible exception of Reid, who looks to be in the shade, are rednecks Here's how you do it in the shade-

This is one of my Dads Shamrocks.If we ever had to pull a engine in one,we were going to do it at his house in Florida.We had planned to leave it in his canal and pull it with a davit. Well best laid plans,rear seal started leaking and the oil pan looked to be about rusted thru,so we had to do it here.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-13-2009 at 1:10pm
Ha, thanks Mike! As far as woodworking goes, Im much more of a rough framer than a finish work type of guy... so I think the natural finish is beautiful!

Before anyone accuses me of being a jetski owner, I should clarify that the small trailer is for our 12' aluminum boat.

-------------

Date Posted: May-13-2009 at 11:14pm
Tim, which boat are you bringing to GL.

Date Posted: May-14-2009 at 12:41am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Before anyone accuses me of being a jetski owner, I should clarify that the small trailer is for our 12' aluminum boat.

It looks fast none-the-less. I'd get some flames on it soon.   

Mike    

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: May-14-2009 at 12:48am
I don;t know if I dare do a V8 with this one, but it worked well with the 6.

-------------

Date Posted: May-14-2009 at 12:34pm
Bruce, that 2-by is through-bolted to the tree, right? A V8 shouldnt be a problem!

Mike, youre right- flames are coming right up.

Dave, the hope is to bring that yellow POS (its actually red underneath) to GL with me... if its not done in time, then the Inca Gold Skier will likely make the trip again.

-------------

Date Posted: May-14-2009 at 12:41pm
8" lag bolts, Tim. The tree on the right holds well. The tree on the left is a little punky, but they tighten up pretty well.

How do you deal with an engine that does not have lifting rings?

-------------

Date Posted: May-14-2009 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

8" lag bolts, Tim. The tree on the right holds well. The tree on the left is a little punky, but they tighten up pretty well.

How do you deal with an engine that does not have lifting rings?

Ha, not a bad set up.

If you have no rings, I would put a good bolt on the end of the heads (diagonal) and lift from those. I lucked out and found a set of lift rings in my stash-o-parts that I was able to utilize.

-------------

Date Posted: May-14-2009 at 9:22pm
Tim, sounds nice see you there.

Date Posted: May-14-2009 at 11:22pm
Holy smokes Bruce, way to represent! I see you have the mandatory rope to hang the motor.(we don't need no stinkin chain). Nothing redneck about that setup,looks like a typical Maine set up to me. You even have the landmark woodpile in that pic along with an old broken rake leaning against the tree on the right, what appears to be some canoe paddles next to the tree on the left, a 1000ft orange extension cord strung down the road and what is that I see over in the neighbors yard ?? Tell me that isn't a big blue tarp(state of Maine Flag) ! The only thing missing from that pic is the 5 year old kids with no shoes or teeth beating on the motor with those paddles like it's a Pinata....with no adult supervision of course. Nothing wrong with that tree on the left either, if there was someone would have cut the whole thing down

Mike

-------------

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: May-15-2009 at 12:57am
LOL. Dang Mike, you're observant.

-------------

Posted By: Furno
Date Posted: May-15-2009 at 1:37am
No comment about the bird house on top of the left tree?

-------------
Andy

'83 2001

Date Posted: October-13-2009 at 12:34am
We tested our engine hoist with a V8 this past weeked and it held up. We added some extra support and it came out pretty slick. Maybe we'll try a big block next.

-------------

Date Posted: October-13-2009 at 9:47pm

Bruce,nice. What boat is that?   Gary

-------------
Watch your fingers.

Date Posted: October-14-2009 at 2:21am
Gary, it's a 1960 Atom that is beyond our abilty to restore.

-------------

Date Posted: November-13-2009 at 3:55pm
We've added a second tier to our hoist... the BFN wouldnt have cleared if we used the lower rung.

I now have 3 boats without engines on my parents property... yikes.

-------------

Date Posted: November-13-2009 at 11:42pm
so what are you doing with the engine?

-------------

Date Posted: November-14-2009 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

so what are you doing with the engine?

Not sure yet, Eric. The boat is getting new stringers and floor. Compression on the engine came back good (all within 10%), so as long as the bearings check out when we pull the pan, we dont have an excuse to touch the bottom end this year (damn). We may add a cam and an intake once we figure out what we have for a bumpstick and compression ratio now. The foam is all out (wet!!!) and the boat should be a bit lighter once finished- Id like to be flirting with 60mph next summer.

-------------

Date Posted: November-15-2009 at 11:56am
flirt with 70, then 60 will come real easy lol

-------------

Date Posted: November-15-2009 at 11:58am
my guy pulled a big boy boy out Friday as i am finihing one up for another, starting to gather some parts for them, they like to bend the engine stands

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2009 at 7:32pm
I don't know Tim, I don't think anything you Benjamins do is red neck.

-------------

Date Posted: November-18-2009 at 10:31am
check those counter cams on those BBC's if you plan on re-using...2 out 2 on both counters were bad. also i found a burnt valve in one of them...probably from the bad cam lobe on that cylinder.. 2 righties in the same week go figure. i almost was going to plug the one back in but found a sharp point on them.....god damn, im really sarting to believe this zinc myth thats been going around

-------------

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: November-21-2009 at 6:43pm
Thought I'd throw this one out there.

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: November-21-2009 at 9:57pm
your puttin that on some nice chassis but you might need a steering wheel and radiator

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: November-21-2009 at 10:29pm
That dolly's gonna scream!!!!

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: November-22-2009 at 2:40am
Don't you love that Bobcat? We've got the same thing...its perfect for movin the boats around. A little slow to take to the ramp tho!

-------------

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: November-22-2009 at 2:55am

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: November-22-2009 at 2:59am
Nice Mike...Allison Chalmers? Looks orange?

-------------

Date Posted: November-22-2009 at 10:47am
Mike,
Glad to see you hosed the bucket off after bringing the tractor over from the barn!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: November-22-2009 at 11:19am
This may not count because they're not mine but thank God for Neighbors with toys.

This one is BJ's down in FL.

And this one is my neighbors back home

-------------

Date Posted: November-22-2009 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Nice Mike...Allison Chalmers? Looks orange?

Yep, D17. Not positive on the year, 58 or 59, I believe. I have a couple Allis lawn tractors too. Early 80's models, built like tanks.

Pete, I actually borrow a Bobcat when I have to clean the paddock. I don't have hydraulics on the bucket, just the lift.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: 502Python
Date Posted: November-24-2009 at 5:31pm
Wakeslayer, we had a D-17 when I was growing up. It was our "little" tractor we used to run augers, harrow the arena, haul hayracks,etc. All 4 boys in our family learned how to drive tractors starting with that good ol' A/C D-17. I have John Deere's now but I would pay a pretty penny to get that orange one back!

-------------
1999 Sport Nautique-Python Powered

1999 Ski Nautique-Python Powered

Date Posted: November-24-2009 at 6:37pm
Jim,

I love it. Little stuff is all I use it for too.   Grading the driveway, PTO for the hay elevator, mowing the pasture, lifting boat motors etc. Had it for 12 years. Never had a problem with her other than a couple minor self inflicted ones.

Mike

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Date Posted: November-25-2009 at 12:13pm
I just pulled a 150hp Merc at the guy's house, we used a steel pipe across 6ft on center rafters, that was fn scary. I always gauge things as if they were 180lb guys, in this case it wouldve been around 2 and a half guy's hanging from the pipe...no problem i guess

-------------

Posted By: Tomski
Date Posted: November-25-2009 at 12:30pm
I'll join in, this is what I used.

It's vital in this life to have good friends with useful stuff!

-------------
Easily Parted From Money

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: November-25-2009 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I always gauge things as if they were 180lb guys, in this case it wouldve been around 2 and a half guy's hanging from the pipe...

or 1 of quinner's girlfriends

-------------

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: November-26-2009 at 5:29am
Originally posted by Tomski Tomski wrote:

I'll join in, this is what I used.

It's vital in this life to have good friends with useful stuff!

How right you are!
Here's what we used on Tom and Jo's barefoot:

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: November-26-2009 at 1:41pm
one of her legs maybe HW

-------------

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: November-26-2009 at 6:41pm
one hand on the chain..And one on the beer!!LOL

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: 70CC
Date Posted: February-27-2010 at 3:37pm
It's a little ugly but it was strong enough to lift a 390 Ford Interceptor and trans (Tim - this is the one you gave me the heads up on)

-Phil

Date Posted: April-24-2014 at 2:38pm
Moving this over....

Originally posted by MustangMadness MustangMadness wrote:

In trying to be creative and safe, I managed to yank my 307 using a come-a-long, 3/4" nylon rope and and willing maple in my driveway.

I then just pulled the boat out from underneath.

-------------

Date Posted: April-24-2014 at 10:38pm

we used these uprights from some industrial racks.One set to pull the engine and second set to flip the boat.

http://s128.photobucket.com/user/farmer_012/media/Johns%20Mustang/103_2824.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s128.photobucket.com/user/farmer_012/media/Johns%20Mustang/103_3325.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s128.photobucket.com/user/farmer_012/media/Johns%20Mustang/103_3327.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------
Watch your fingers.

Posted By: Cuda Chris
Date Posted: April-25-2014 at 12:38am
You guys will get a kick out of this. A friend helped me pull the 318 I sold out of my donor hull. We used his 24' moving truck with a heavy duty lift gate and his large engine Hoist. A few straps and on the fly engineering made for a few laughs. The hull was on blocks and high enough off the ground that the extraction process presented a few minor challenges. No large trees around and I didn't have a hoist of any kind. We used the lift gate to give us the height and the boom on his hoist for distance. He backed his truck up next to the hull and then the fun began. We ran into the foreseeable problem (evident in the photos) when we began swinging the boom around to clear the hull. Enjoy!

-------------
1968 Barracuda Super Sport

Posted By: oldcuda
Date Posted: April-25-2014 at 1:32am
Uh think you might have voided the warranty on the crane.

Print Page | Close Window