Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10300
Printed Date: May-08-2024 at 1:21pm

Topic: Disaster Strikes
Posted By: azeus17
Subject: Disaster Strikes
Date Posted: April-27-2008 at 10:07pm
Kudos to the state of FL and Duval county for their never ending pursuit of excellence

We were out on the Inner Coastal Waterway/St. Johns River cruising along at about 25-30 MPH when we struck an unmarked underground rock pile. Maybe 4-6 inches under water.

Of course my first though was "Holy $hit, we are going to sink!" Engine still running, I tried to put into gear to see if it would do anything. Of course, strut, shaft, prop, rudder toast.

I was very surprised to find that we were not taking on any water! I think being on a plane saved the boat, but it may be totaled anyway. I tell you what, I am sold on Correct Craft and their craftsmanship.

Not fifteen minutes later, a 2007 Four Winns came across the same area (as we are trying to warn them) and they sunk in 5 minutes. By this time we had drifted to the shore. The other family was, obviously, freaked out. To make matters worse, when the sheriff arrived, we found out there was a paraplegic on that boat.

As for us, like I said we drifted to shore. While we are talking to the sheriff and the passers by on the road, the boat became beached and is totally stuck on shore in the middle of no where. Now I have to wait for high tide tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 to try to get off the beach and out into open water for Sea Tow to come get us. If I am unable to do that, they will charge us $150/ft of line if they have to swim it in to us (about 100 yards) and then they charge $250/hour of towing (not far about 45 min). Yeah, do the math that is about $45,000. ( I can not believe this to be true, but that is what they told me on the phone) Insurance should cover it because it is a salvage situation, but we will see when I talk to the adjuster tomorrow. My only hope is that I can get this thing off the beach and out to open water an maybe then a jet skier or another boat could tow me in.

I am open to ideas. Anyone been beached before?

Eric/Doc-
Based on your experience, does this type of damage usually total out a boat? I love my boat, but at this point, I think I would rather total it.

Any advise on any of these issues would help.

A very sad,

Adam

-------------
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique

Replies:
Posted By: rleinen79
Date Posted: April-27-2008 at 10:38pm
Wow...scary situation. I assume nobody was hurt? Glad to hear the CC made it through enough to float you guys to safety. IIRC, something similar to that happened to Nautique2001 at the first New England reunion.

As for towing it off the beach...can you hook it to another boat? If it's totaled already, what's the difference? Also, I've heard of people putting tubes underneath, then inflating them and floating the boat out.

Again, it sounds like this could have been a lot worse than what it was. My sympathy for your boat, but happiness for you and your family.

Rob

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Posted By: p/allen
Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 12:14am
You said you were talking to people on the road . How close to the road is the boat ? If it is close enough , try a crane to pick it up by the lifting eyes and set it right on your traler . Cranes in our area are less than 200.00 an hour .

Have it loaded with no hassel in no time cheaper .

-------------
Pat
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/72ccfan/100_5977-1.jpg - My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.

Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 12:42am
79-
Thanks, yeah just my wife and I on the boat and we are both fine. She did hit the dash/windshield from the observers seat, but thank god she was not in the bow.

Allen-
Good thought on the crane. I will have to check on that. We are about 100-200 ft from the road (sand dune/grassy area between). I will double check that tomorrow when I go back out there.

I am going to go equipped with some 2x4s for prying it off the beach at high tide. My worry is that as the tide comes in, it just pushes it further up on the beach. I guess we will see.

-------------
Boats:

Posted By: critter
Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 1:37am
Sorry to hear this bad news Adam. Happy to hear that all are ok.

You may want to get to the boat while still at low tide and put an anchor out to keep it from moving in. If you are bow in, you can run a line out the stern with a small anchor or block to hold it in place.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 9:53am
sorry to hear, if the tow and repairs hit 80% of value they will total boat out usually, if you want it to total as you said let the salvage company handle it, if not dont let them near the boat

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:04am
Originally posted by azeus17 azeus17 wrote:

Kudos to the state of FL and Duval county for their never ending pursuit of excellence

We were out on the Inner Coastal Waterway/St. Johns River cruising along at about 25-30 MPH when we struck an unmarked underground rock pile. Maybe 4-6 inches under water.

Sorry to hear about your bad news Adam.
Luckily the shallow places on our lake are all marked by buoys. The instances responsible for the lake do good work here.

(to improve my English... what does "kudos" mean? I can imagine what you want to say with it, but like to know the real meaning, thanks)

Kristof

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:16am
its a suttle way of letting people know that you did a good job.

-------------

Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:30am
Kudos is usually a way to congratulate someone on a good job. Obviously, I was being a little sarcastic.

-------------
Boats:

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:32am
I did a similar thing 2 years ago. They were letting water out of our dam to irrigators downstream. I was at least 100m from shore line and hit submerged rocky outcrop about 6" below water. The only damage in the end was 4 blade prop & a bent rudder shaft plus a few scratches on bottom of hull. When we hit my first thoughts were that every thing below the hull would have been destroyed and that it would have cracked the hull out at the strut.

It was a scare for everyone on board actually one of the girls suffered from shock but no injuries. It required us to actually lift the boat manually about 20m to get it off the outcrop. It moved about a foot at a time first the bow then the stern. Extremely tiring 2 hours later got towed back to shore and put it on the trailer.
Could not believe the minimal amount of damage because when we hit the noise and impact were huge.We were also travelling about 25mph up on plane.
I think the large center fins help plough the ground before the strut and shaft got there.
Hope you have as much luck with the damage as I did. My first thoughts when we got it off the outcrop and floating was that it may take on that much water that it would sink

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:47am

Kudos is usually a way to congratulate someone on a good job. Obviously, I was being a little sarcastic.

Aha, I did get that feeling about your post... Well good to know you didn't loose your sarcasm over it
Thanks for the info. And good luck on the salvaging of your boat! Keep us informed...

Kristof

-------------
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:53am
Lewy2001,

I like your signature as well as your boat (another red and cream '89 like SNObsessed and I...)

Greetings to you down under from Belgium,
Kristof

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 11:02am
Adam, sorry about your turn of luck...best wishes sent! I know in the 10,000 islands area, that sandbars move on a whim...even daily sometimes?!!?

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 11:55am
we all do it no matter how careful you are, we were doing what the boat could do last summer 56, and within about 50 ft we came to a dead stop, i went up on a sand bar, it took a good hour to get off of it and luckily no one got hurt which was the important thing, boats are replaceble.

-------------

Posted By: Nautique2001
Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by rleinen79 rleinen79 wrote:

Wow...scary situation. I assume nobody was hurt? Glad to hear the CC made it through enough to float you guys to safety. IIRC, something similar to that happened to Nautique2001 at the first New England reunion.

Adam,

I'm sorry to hear about your accident. Rob mentioned my unfortunate accident at the New England Reunion in New Hampshire. I ran up on a rocky shallow section of the lake that was marked by a small black marker, which I never saw until it was too late. My speed was about 28 MPH, but came to an immediate stop upon impact. The sound of the impact is one I'll never forget!!! Besides my injuries, the boat was in much better shape than anyone imagined. The hull had some minor scratches, prop was wiped out, shaft slightly bend, tracking fins twisted and rudder was completely fine. The front tracking fin took the major hit, but I believe it caused the stern to raise up during the impact. The damage was just under $4,000 from what I recall. There were no holes or cracks in the hull. I believe any other boat would have split open and taken on water. These boats are VERY STRONG and seem to repair nicely. Looking at my boat today, you'd never know anything ever happened. The most important thing was there were no major injuries!!!!

Good luck with the repair work. Keep us posted on your progress. You'll be back out there before you know it.

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Posted By: 64 Skier
Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 1:39pm
azeus,

During Duck season we launch boats simlar in weight to CC's on the Mississippi River with a 4WD under some pretty steep and muddy conditions. Winch helps.

If you "grenaded" the Tranny, Prop Shaft, Prop, Strut, Rudder and some labor your close to the 80% value. I'd yank her with the 4WD and use that insurance money to restore.

-------------
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1071&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 71CC

Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 1:50pm
Thanks for the support guys. I am going out now to re asses the situation. I should have some pics to post tonight.

-------------
Boats:

Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 1:58pm
azeus- Very sorry to hear of your accident. Glad that you and your wife are okay.

Do you or a friend have a small aluminum boat or other craft that you could use to tow the Nautique back to the ramp? I would think that the tide will come up high enough to allow you to float the boat. Then you just need a tow back to the ramp. Get the boat up on the trailer as far as you can (assume you don't have a winch) then use the 'bump' trick to move it the rest of the way up the trailer to the bow stop.

The reason why the bayliner sank is probably because it's a stern drive (assume i/o) and the main seal around the drive was probably breached on impact. I'd be surprised if that Bayliner sank due to a hole in the bottom.

Again, very sorry for you accident. Hang in there and let us know how you made out today.

-Brad

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:27pm
Well, It was quite a day! I have a few pictures that I will try to put in chronological order as I tell the abbreviated story.

Day started with a few calls to the insurance company. We both agreed that the best way to proceed was to try to get the boat floating and back to the dock. I quickly realized that was not going to happen when I got there and saw this.

After another brief talk with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Officer, we decided the best way to handle this was to get something to lift it by th lifting rings and place it on the trailer. Made a few calls, insurance man being one to make sure they would cover, and 2.5 hours later, this showed up.

It is now 2:45 and they are just starting to unload this monster fork lift. They get it down off the truck and start driving to the boat and are promply put in this situation.

Yeah, its down to the axles. You may be wondering how the hell are they going to get that out? Just so happens, Billy (no not joking, it really was Billy (Nothing against any Billy's out there, but I mean, you just knew he was Billy even before he spoke) had planned for that and also brought the full size semi truck tow truck as well. ( Sorry no pic for this one, was raining like hell out and I was high and dry in the car) None the less it cam out with only one broken chain.

I ask Billy "What now? Got any ideas?" It turns out he did. He had already called for a mini-excavator to come out. "It has tracks and it is much lighter, so it won't get stuck." he tells me. I say great! 1.5 hours later it is on the scene. As it turns out, Billy was right! It worked great. (hard to see in this picture, but you get the point)

Working one end and then the other, the mini-excavator was able to free the boat from it sand jail and it was floating again. This is the point where I have to get wet and walk the boat around to the loading area. After we get it over the the loading area, we start attaching chains and tow straps to lift it with the green monster. (That is me in the red shirt)

We get everything set and after a couple minor adjustments, SHE IS AIRBORN!!!

In no time, we have it spun around and ready to put on the trailer.

All in all, the damage was not so bad. Prop mangled, drive shaft and strut surely bent, transmission??, tracking fins bent, rudder bent??, and some minor gel scrapes. And for $1400 she is back at home.

We will see what happens tomorrow when I take her into the shop.

-------------
Boats:

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:34pm
Wow, the damage looks pretty minor considering. Most important is nobody got hurt.

-------------

Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:40pm
Agreed. We were very fortunate that there were no injuries. That is what matters.

I forgot to mention above that Johnny Law did end up giving me a "Warning" for "Careless Driving" even though he admitted to me that this area has been a problem for years and it is not marked at all. But, that is OK, I can live with a warning. If someone had been hurt, you can bet your ass the city, county, state, whoever would have had a lawsuit on their hands.

The other guy that sank got a ticket for the same offense. I need to get a hold of that guy to hear his story.

Again, Thank God no one was hurt in either accident.

-------------
Boats:

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:53pm
Adam, I've been following along and happy to see it's out. Save the picture showing the fork lift picking the hull up with the straps on the lifting eyes on that sharp angle. Check for spider cracking at the lifting eyes especially the bow eye. I really do not like how Billy handled your boat. Document this (with pictures) in writing and verbally with the adjuster and your insurance company.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-28-2008 at 10:58pm
Pete-
I totally agree. I am having everything looked at while at the shop, right down to the petty stuff, like how dirty it is now because of the salvage operation. Tell me if I am wrong, but I believe the insurance company should be on the hook for making the boat look like it did before the accident, and it was not filthy like it is now, even after I wiped it down.

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 6:50am

I forgot to mention above that Johnny Law did end up giving me a "Warning" for "Careless Driving" even though he admitted to me that this area has been a problem for years and it is not marked at all. But, that is OK, I can live with a warning.

That's what pisses me off in the end! It's their error by not marking the shallow spots in the first place! And then you end up with a warning... Careless driving my *ss.
I'm VERY confident that the members here are all responsible and capable boat drivers...

It took several years of debating at city hall with the different skiclubs and other sportclubs on the lake, before they finally started dregging the lake and marking all the shallow areas.
Now the lake and river are well organized. The biggest part is for boating and skiing. But, there is a part for swimming, fishing, kayaking (no speedboats or skiers allowed). The lake next to ours is reserved for sailors and windsurfers.

The cops here on the water are the same, always pointing the finger at you, but when you saw them manoeuvre with their boat (nice rib with a 250HP outboard BTW), you could clearly see who were the amateurs on the water... They even came to our club last year asking for some pointers on how to manoeuvre with that thing LOL
But, I don't want to completely bust their chops, cause they also do good work on getting reckless *ssholes with high powered boats (and no safety gear on board) off the water...

I'll stop rambling on now and finish by saying that I'm glad to hear the damages aren't all that bad and that your family and your boat are safe!

-------------

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 9:57am
Adam I cannot believe the authorities gave you a warning. In my case after I ran aground apparently quite a few more boats did so over the next few days. Later that week the Waterways authority placed marker bouys on the submerged rocky outcrop. The insurance company had contacted them and was looking into compensation.
Ever since this happened there is now a sign at the entrance stating the dam is at low levels and aquaplaning of any type is done at your risk.
The best news is that nobody was injured and the damage is reasonable & definately repairable.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 10:07am
Adam, What's the blue color on the hull scrape? Are you sure it was rocks and not a old boat you ran over!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 10:18am
seeing its an 89, it should have the PCM-40, there should be enough in the estimate for them to pull and inspect the trans, because they did have a forward drum problem that would hairline crack, it will crack and may not show up until down the road, and by the looks of the prop it may be cracked and also insist on them installing a damper plate because it is also a weak link on a prop hit

-------------

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 10:21am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Adam, What's the blue color on the hull scrape? Are you sure it was rocks and not a old boat you ran over!!!

That blue seems to match the gel color of his freeboard(right term?). Check out the bow pic on page 7 of the pumpkin patch; that blue under the grey gel matches the blue stripe on the sides of my boat.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 10:53am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

That blue seems to match the gel color of his freeboard(right term?). Check out the bow pic on page 7 of the pumpkin patch; that blue under the grey gel matches the blue stripe on the sides of my boat.

Greg, That was my first thought! Thinking the blue was a gel color under the hull's white but the scrape is on the bottom - a long ways from the blue on the freeboard. Don't know? Maybe when they sprayed the blue in the mold the boys in the shop just got sloppy!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:03am
Yeah, that would be pricless, running over another sunk boat. I also think it is the same blue that matches the side of the boat. I was wondering if it was common to spray the whole boat one color first and then cover with the white? I guess if that is the case, it gives me confidence that I will be able to get to some nice fresh blue to get those shadows out that I was talking about in my sanding thread.

-------------
Boats:

Posted By: Brktracer
Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 11:57am
Insurance??? What's that?

Matt

Posted By: 66Skylark
Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 3:00pm
Glad to hear everyone is okay and you're on the road to getting the boat fixed...

I also think it is the same blue that matches the side of the boat. I was wondering if it was common to spray the whole boat one color first and then cover with the white?

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the boats are built from the outside in. The gel coat is the first thing sprayed into the hull mold.

Some of the pictures I’ve seen on CC’s web site (under factory tour), it looks like they tape off the stripe and spray the hull color first. Then pull the tape and spray the colored stripe.

Is it possible, since the white is already on the mold, they just blast away with color…?

I'm sorry, this is a Correct Craft. They carefully apply a generous coat of the colored gel...

Kyle

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1445" rel="nofollow - 1966 Skylark

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1976" rel="nofollow - 1998 176

MA/

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 3:05pm
Thanks Kyle...I knew it was sprayed in like you said, but I couldn't figure how they did the other color.

-------------

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by 66Skylark 66Skylark wrote:

Glad to hear everyone is okay and you're on the road to getting the boat fixed...

I also think it is the same blue that matches the side of the boat. I was wondering if it was common to spray the whole boat one color first and then cover with the white?

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the boats are built from the outside in. The gel coat is the first thing sprayed into the hull mold.

Some of the pictures I’ve seen on CC’s web site (under factory tour), it looks like they tape off the stripe and spray the hull color first. Then pull the tape and spray the colored stripe.

Is it possible, since the white is already on the mold, they just blast away with color…?

I'm sorry, this is a Correct Craft. They carefully apply a generous coat of the colored gel...

Kyle

Yes, The mold is female. The area for the highlight color in this case the blue would be masked off on the surface of the mold. The white is sprayed on, the mask is removed and then the blue gel is sprayed.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 3:22pm
I think that's your answer. The Malibu Skiers from the 1980s had more detailed and dare I say better gel coat than most other boats at the time. They had multi colors and I have seen the same thing with those boats. A deep scratch in the white gel reveals an accent color underneath.

-------------

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 5:38pm
Eric-
Thanks for the info.

Anything else I should make sure they look for with a situation like this.

I am kind of torn on where to take it. If I use the shop that the ins. co. suggested, they will garantee the work for life. When I went to that marinas web site, it seems they are more of an outboard specialist. Nowhere to they even mention inboard.

I would rather take to the CC dealer here in town, but then I get no kind of waranty or garantee. I have a call in the the CC dealer to see what they do offer, but I am fairly certain it is not a lifetime garantee.

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 5:49pm
Forgive my ignorance...what is the PCM-40?

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 6:10pm

That may be the engine you have...I don't know.

My first call would be to Woody at SECC. I've sort-of gotten to know him and he knows his CC's. See if CC will give you a warranty. They do have a rep to protect and if you were on the St. John's, you're not too far away.

-------------

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 6:14pm
PS-He knows me as 'Greg on Lanier' (buffalo too) so don't tell him who sent you or you may have to pay double?!!? LOL

Woody, if you see this many thanks for your help!!!   

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 6:28pm

That may be the engine you have...I don't know.

You guys gotta pay attention... that was Eric's comment- what do you think it is?

-------------

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 6:50pm
That is what I thought he meant, but I have never heard any engine refeered to as the PCM-40.

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 6:52pm

That is what I thought he meant, but I have never heard any engine refeered to as the PCM-40.

Its the transmission!

-------------

Date Posted: April-29-2008 at 9:14pm
with that lifetime guarentee Bull shi-----its a shop that will cut thier hourly rate to get the insurance companies work,when they cut the hourly rate they have a tendency to make it up somewhere else, its the insurance company that is giving you the lifetime warranty, its a sales pitch, take it to woody down there who knows these boats and repairs them right the first time so you dont have to worry about a lifetime warranty. you as a consumer have the legal option to take the boat to whoever you want to have the repairs done. its worth the extra effort if you have to travel to find someone reputable such as SECC

-------------

Date Posted: April-30-2008 at 10:31am
Tim-
That is why I said forgive my ignorance. I have never heard the transmission refeered to as PCM-40 either. I have heard Power Plus, 1.23:1, but never PCM-40. I am sorry. Now I know.

Anyway, dropped the boat off yesterday to this marina. I asked if they did much inboard work and the lady at the front was like, yeah, we have one guy that does all outboards, but the ohter three do I/O's. I was thinking that is great, but what about true inboards, and she said they work on those as well.

I am starting to lean towards what you said Eric. I want to see what they write up on the estimate, but I think I want to take it to a CC dealer.

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: April-30-2008 at 10:37am
Adam, Before you pull that boat out of that marina, bring your wrench and feeler gauge along and pull the coupling apart to do a quick alignment/bent shaft check!! Look for sledge hammer marks on the couplings too!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-30-2008 at 10:53am
Pete-
I assume you are talking about after it is "fixed"?

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: April-30-2008 at 11:09am

Pete-

I think he wants you to read between the lines...?

-------------

Date Posted: April-30-2008 at 11:17am

Pete-

I think he wants you to read between the lines...?

Sorry, Yes after it is "fixed".

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-30-2008 at 11:35am
out of the 2 bottem hits i have done with PCM transmissions in them, both forward drums were cracked, insist on an inspect and leave the claim open.
who is your insurance company? are they going to depreciate? it sounds like you have a name brand insurance company because they are steering you to one of thier cut rate repair shops

-------------

Date Posted: May-02-2008 at 7:59pm
I talked to the marina today. They are putting together an estimate and I feel like I am about to get screwed on this one.

I asked about the trans and they said they ran the engine and it was cooling properly. So what, what does that have to do with the trans? They said the trans looks good and there is no need to tear it apart to inspect it.

I told them that is fine and dandy right now, but what happens 10 hours from now when $hit starts falling apart. Am I crazy to think that that kind of shock to the drive train could cause some damage to the trans? They said they will have a estimate by Monday and will call me to go over it, but I do not think I will be happy unless it includes going over the trans and engine too.

Any advice on dealing with insurance companies and repair facilities?

Eric-
I tried calling your shop, but it went to voice mail. Can you give me a call, I would like to bounce a few questions off of you. 517-410-3254.

Thanks,

Adam

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: May-02-2008 at 8:12pm
Like Eric has stressed, I wouldnt have even let that shop touch my boat. Why not take it to SECC to be fixed properly?

-------------

Date Posted: May-02-2008 at 8:53pm
Tim-
I am starting to lean in that direction. I am waiting to see what they are including in the estimate. If it does not meet my expectations, I will make the drive to SECC.   Guarantee or not, at least I will have peace of mind that knowledgeable people did the repairs.

Just a waiting game now that the boat is already at that shop.

Eric-
Thanks for the call. Helped a lot.

-------------
Boats:

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: May-03-2008 at 10:55am
Adam, shouldn't you have a couple of estimates anyway, I'd be on my way over to SECC. You're boat is still worth a fair amount of money and has to be put back perfectly, accept nothing less.

-------------
You can’t change the wind but you can adjust your sails

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 11:34am
Just talked to SECC. They can not even look at the boat for 3 weeks. Kind of sucks, but it may be worth it. In general, do you guys trust the local CC dealerships? Are their techs any good?

Have a question for you prop gurus out there. They are going to have to buy a new prop, who ever does the repair, so I called Delta to get their recomendation for the best prop. They sugested a Acme 422, 12.5 x 15 4 blade. The old prop was original OJ 14x16 3 blade. I was getting 41 MPH @ 4100 RPM. Delta said the Acme would get me a better hole shot, top speed and MPG's for $375. Do you guys agree?

Thanks,
Adam

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 12:06pm

Have a question for you prop gurus out there. They are going to have to buy a new prop, who ever does the repair, so I called Delta to get their recomendation for the best prop. They sugested a Acme 422, 12.5 x 15 4 blade. The old prop was original OJ 14x16 3 blade. I was getting 41 MPH @ 4100 RPM. Delta said the Acme would get me a better hole shot, top speed and MPG's for $375. Do you guys agree?

Adam, the 422 would be an improvement, but the 470 or 1442 3-blades are superior props. With the performance youre seeing, Id go 470. 41mph @ 4100 RPM is pretty lackluster, by the way- tune that thing up when you get it back!

-------------

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Adam, the 422 would be an improvement, but the 470 or 1442 3-blades are superior props. With the performance youre seeing, Id go 470. 41mph @ 4100 RPM is pretty lackluster, by the way- tune that thing up when you get it back!

This is the second time in a week that I've seen Delta recommend a 4 blade. I wonder if it was the same guy and if for some reason he doesn't know his props. Ether that or they have a over stock of 4 blades that they are trying to unload??? If they do, Delta should run the broach through the bore and turn them into MC splines!! Sell them to the MC guys!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 12:27pm
Pete, dont get me wrong- the 422 is a great prop. I just feel that the 3-blades are better, especially on the pre-97 1.23 boats that can run that larger diameter wheels. On the newer boats, the 422 is a great option for those with 300+ hp who dont want to turn over 5k RPM with the 470.

-------------

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 12:46pm
Adam, better a CC dealership than an I/O repair place

-------------

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 1:40pm
Agreed. 41 MPH I actually already have everything to tune it up. It all came in the mail about 2 days after the accident as I already had it ordered before. I have a distributer rebuild kit, new plugs and wires, and carb rebuild kit on the way. Anything else I should be looking at as far as tune up?

Thanks for the advice guys. That is why I love this site, getting advice from guys that actually use the products rather than sell them. I will definetly check out the 3 blades. Did I read that you are allowed to test the prop for a period of time?

Thanks again,
Adam

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 1:50pm
Can one of you guys tell me how the different measurments on a prop effect performance, ect.

I am sure that has been discussed before, but the search feature is not working. Not sure if just me or other are having trouble as well?

The 470 is 12.5x15 w/ .105 cup and the 1442 is 13.25x15 w/.90 cup.

Are these two compairable because of the different cup, even with the diameter difference?

Sorry for all the rookie questions.

Adam

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 2:04pm
A increase in diameter,pitch,blade surface area and the addition of cup will decrease WOT RPM and hole shot. Then the converse holds true. Prop selection has always been a "try it and see what happens" although we do have lots of data like Tim's that does simplify things. Too bad we are having a problem with the search.

There is a issue with the search and I did post the problem so Keith and or Brad can look into it.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 2:11pm

The 470 is 12.5x15 w/ .105 cup and the 1442 is 13.25x15 w/.90 cup.

Are these two compairable because of the different cup, even with the diameter difference?

Adam, the 1442 will turn a little less RPM due to the greater diameter. Both props are great, but Id give the nod to the 470 on a stock 240hp engine, as the increased revs help performance a bit. I was able to turn a 470 ~4600RPM with my stock engine. I expect you'd see something similar once youre all tuned up.

-------------

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 4:25pm
Thanks for the info.

Just got off the phone with the adjuster. The estimate is $3650. That is basically for tracking fins, shaft, prop, rudder, minor gel work, and interior repair and clean from salvage effort.
Then she hit me with the bomb that it would take upwords of a month to get it done.

That made up my mind really quick. I called SECC and schedualed an appointment for the 28th. Brian said he could have the work done in about a week. So we are talking about the same time frame and the work will be done by people I trust.

Any of you guys in Orlando want to get a few runs in that night? I think I may need a quick fix by then!

Thanks guys, I will keep you updated when i hear more.

Adam

-------------
Boats:

Posted By: shawnmc
Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 4:36pm
How hard is it to replace or add to the trailer guides? boat dr, do i just rip the carpet off and srcrew a 1/4 down to the existing and recarpet?

Thanks Shawn

My dad recommended a plasma torch!!

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 4:58pm
this here is a perfect example of the right choice for an insurance company, the transmission should be pulled and inspected.
my rule of the thumb with insurance companies is: the more popular the insurance companies name the more popular the problems you will have collecting from them.
Accidents do happen and this is a great example of an accident and a great example of why you need insurance.
Banks borrow money from insurance companies and the persona out there is everybody is afraid to use it when you need it and most of all making sure you get the quality repairs, by quality people... i sure as *************** aint gonna take my chrysler to the chevy dealer for repairs and im sure SECC will perform the repairs 100%

-------------

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 9:26pm
I agree Eric. That is one thing that I took away from our conversation the other night. As soon as this is repaired, I will be shopping for a better insurance company. Progressive has not given me a hard time about collecting money, more just not wanting to do the job correctly, like you said.

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: May-05-2008 at 9:40pm
just trying to educate everyone on the insurance gig, the big namers, Progressive, Allstate, nationwide have adjusters everywhere and the thing you want to avoid is an adjuster coming to look at the boat, they will depreciate it, they will try telling the repair shop how much they are willing to pay you per hour to work on a customers boat, they will source used parts, rebuilt props and so on.
read your policies carefully and go after a company that specializes in boat insurance and the reason being is they have a better understanding of the repairs needed to make the boat correct, these are the companies that will hire a surveyor or go on the repair shops word of other possibilities of other problems that may arise, they wont send a car adjuster to beat up the estimate as to what they are use to doing day in and day out

-------------

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: May-06-2008 at 10:55am
Originally posted by shawnmc shawnmc wrote:

How hard is it to replace or add to the trailer guides? boat dr, do i just rip the carpet off and srcrew a 1/4 down to the existing and recarpet?

Thanks Shawn

Shawn, I would pull the old bunks and start over. A new 2x4 and 1x4 sandwich covered with new carpet. Treated wood and S/S bolts will finish that little project.......Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: May-06-2008 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by shawnmc shawnmc wrote:

[/QUOTE]

I say if you have a plasma cutter than cut the back two attachment points of the guard off and weld in some spacers, heck even with a grinding wheel I could have that whole job done in an hour, painted in two. It all depends on what tools you have available, a few ways to skin that cat.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: May-07-2008 at 12:47pm
Pete-
You were right about the lifting. I got the boat back from the other marina and started cleaning it up. I was looking at the front lifting ring and noticed that one of the screw heads was broken off. The lifting ring was kind of rotating around the other screw.

What is under that ring? What secures it to the bow? With the open bow, it is extremely hard to get to, so I can not see under there.

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: May-07-2008 at 1:33pm

Pete-
You were right about the lifting. I got the boat back from the other marina and started cleaning it up. I was looking at the front lifting ring and noticed that one of the screw heads was broken off. The lifting ring was kind of rotating around the other screw.

What is under that ring? What secures it to the bow? With the open bow, it is extremely hard to get to, so I can not see under there.

The lifting ring goes down to a mount on the stem. It is not fastened to the deck. Any spider cracking in the deck around the hole? Yes, I understand the frustrations of under deck work on a open bow!!
So, you picked it up. Did they do the work?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-08-2008 at 10:24am
No they did not do any work. I am taking it to SECC on the 28th. It will still be fixed in the same amount of time anyway. So over to SECC it will go. I will make sure to point that out to the guys down there and let them mess with the ring.

The shop did leave the coupling apart between the trans and drive shaft. I would say that they are off by about 1".

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: May-08-2008 at 11:27am
Adam, Glad to hear it's going to SECC! Did you end up fighting with the insurance company? Did the I/O shop admit they couldn't handle it? Just curious what happened.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-08-2008 at 5:09pm
They never did admit that they could not handle it. I was talking with the adjuster and she was saying how they were waiting on prices for parts from SECC and that if the trans needed to be inspected they would have to send it somewhere and it was going to take a month to get all the parts and get it fixed...

I just told her to forget it and I would take it directly to the source at SECC. She said OK. She even told me that I should tell Woody that I am still going to need the parts, just now SECC would do the repair not them.

It is just too bad that I had to hit a pile of rocks during the busiest time for SECC and I have to go boatless for a month.

-------------
Boats:

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: May-08-2008 at 11:48pm
But when that month is over I bet you'll feel better that Woody and the guys at SECC had it.

Would like to help you out with a ski "fix" for ya while she is down but Lake Wales is a far piece from Jacksonville.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: May-09-2008 at 10:25am
Absolutly!

Thanks for the thought on the "fix".

Someday, I am sure I will take you up on it.

-------------
Boats:

Posted By: tjeffery72Mus.
Date Posted: May-28-2008 at 11:43pm
You told me to check this out and I had remembered seeing something about it before, but from what I can tell, this really was alot worse compared to what happened to me, that really is just a bad deal man...

-------------
The Guy.

Posted By: emccallum
Date Posted: June-02-2008 at 12:25pm
Just read this whole thread. Glad to hear the mishap is getting repaired properly. I have beached a SN twice! It is scary. Both times on sand, so the damage was minimal. Our lake is 9ft down and this thread has reinforced my desire to stay out of the ski coves and live in the middle with the tubers for the summer.
When I had to get my boat off of the sand, we tied a line to the ski pole and to another SN. Several people got on the other side of the boat and rolled it up on the side to get the skegs and prop out of the mud and drug it sideways to deep water.
I was lucky, I had my family in the boat, 8 YO on the slalom going about 25mph. My 3yo was in the back seat, thank the Lord she was behind the motor and was thrown into the cover. My wife went all the way into the drivers seat. I was on the side and ate the windshield. My son was laying in the bow, and stayed in the boat. My parents (70yo)were in the observer seat, and did fine. Boats can be replaced. Funny thing, my daughter who was skiing was yelling "why are we stopping, I'm not tired". While we were waiting the kids were having a great time pretending they were walking on water...it was ankle deep in the middle of the lake (unmarked!) and still unmarked.

Date Posted: June-03-2008 at 10:47am
Yeah, everything worked out OK. I just dropped the boat off last weekend, and I can't pick it up until 6/21 because I will be out of town the next two weekends. I am glad no one was hurt, no unfixable damage, and SECC is doing a few extra things that I was wanting to get around to.

Definetly a hard way to learn, but the overall experiance was not too bad.

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 12:18pm
Pete/Tim-
I really value your advice on the props. When I dropped off the boat, I explained that I wanted to get a different prop for it and mentioned the Acme 470. When I spoke to Woody, he said he was not sold on the Acme props yet and recomended the 4 blade OJ. He said that would give me a better hole shot and a smoother ride and said the RPM's should come up with the tune up to give a higher top speed.

I don't know which way to go! Like I said, I value your advice and experiance as well as Woody's.

I have no experiance with any of these props so I need to lean on you guys a bit. I do mostly skiing, a lot of cruising, and a little boarding. I just want a prop to give me the best all around performance. Also, keep in mind that I am doing a complete tune up as well ( hopefully bring the RPMs back to at least 4400).

What are the pros/cons of the 3 blade and 4 blade.

Thanks,
Adam

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 1:29pm
Adam, I liked the OJ 4-blade, but I think it will be too much prop for you. The 3-blade Acme's offer less pitch and will outperform the OJ all around on your boat.

Generally speaking, 3-blades are faster on the top end, and 4-blades are faster out of the hole. With the large blade surface area of the Acme 3-blades, the difference out of the hole is negligible compared to the 4, but they still have a top speed advantage.

-------------

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Adam, I liked the OJ 4-blade, but I think it will be too much prop for you. The 3-blade Acme's offer less pitch and will outperform the OJ all around on your boat.

Generally speaking, 3-blades are faster on the top end, and 4-blades are faster out of the hole. With the large blade surface area of the Acme 3-blades, the difference out of the hole is negligible compared to the 4, but they still have a top speed advantage.

but why did you loose to the OJ proped boat's at GL?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 2:01pm
Not to rain on your advice Timmy BUT........
Woody has been around these boats for longer than most on this site has breathed.
His knowledge is beyond reproach ,personally think of him both as a friend and a venue of experience.
30 plus years with one brand of boat carries a lot of weight in my small pea brain.He has the personality of a porcupine, but will not steer you wrong just to sell a part.
Bed side manner is like this,been there done that ,makes no differace with my pay check come Friday............Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Woody has been around these boats for longer than most on this site has breathed. His knowledge is beyond reproach

Doc, Ive used both props in question and disagree with Woody on this one. The Acme 3's just outperform the OJ for this application, at least in regards to holeshot and top speed. Eric told me that the OJ's were tuned for the skiing wake, which I havent verified. It makes sense that the wake would be softer, as the OJ dialed back the RPM's by quite a bit- but straight line performance suffered. That being said, Id still like to try an OJ that gave me a little more RPM- I was supposed to be getting one, and I should follow up again.

Chris, if I had put on either of the OJ's I have tried on my boat at GL, I would have lost by more! My boat just isnt that fast.

-------------

Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 5:12pm
Well, crap! That did not solve much.

I really don't think I can go wrong with either prop, but which one to choose...

Here is kind of what I am thinking. Tell me if I am way off base.

a. it may come down to price. I am picking up part of this bill (deductible) and the props all seem to get the same amount of praise.

b. If I decide to go acme, I may go with the 1442. I do not want to push this engine too hard as far as RPM's. I know that you mentioned that I could probably see 4600 RPM out of the 470, but I would feel more comfortable around the 4400 range. With the larger diameter of the 1442, it should bring me down a little from what the 470 would do, right?

Does that hold water at all?

Also, if I said that I would trade off top speed for whole shot, does that change any minds?

Thanks again!

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 5:42pm
I would worry about spinning the engine 4600- I spin it over 5200 on the same bottom end. Part of the increase in performance you'll see from the 470 is due to the decrease in pitch (which equals more RPM for any given speed).

That being said, the 1442 is also a great prop and youre correct that it will turn slightly less RPM than the 470. It should still outperform the OJ on your boat, as that is simply a steeper prop.

-------------

Date Posted: June-04-2008 at 5:58pm
these things can turn 5000 all day long even in stock form.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: June-22-2008 at 1:56pm
Well, I finally picked the boat up from SECC. I have to say, I am kind of disappointed. First off, let me say that all the mechanical work they did seems great so far. I was only able to get a quick spin around Conway because it was pouring rain yesterday in Orlando, but I wanted to test it out and it seems good.

I am disappointed for a few reasons.
1. I went ahead and asked them to do a wet sand, buff and shine while it was there. Brian quoted me $300 on the phone when i was scheduling to take the boat in. I figure that is a pretty good deal and it would free up a few weekends for me. Then Woody called me on Friday and said they were not able to completly get the shadows out and his opinion was that they would not come out with any amount of work. The boat needed to be re-gelled. So I told him to go ahead and put the new decals on as close as possible to the shadows. When I got there yesterday, I did not look like they wet sanded at all. There were several small scratches before that were still there and the fading was no better at all. I would have expected some difference. When I paid, they had the price for that at $500. Jim did change that back to $300, but even then, I feel like I paid them $300 to apply new decals and they did not even have to remove the old ones! I had already done that!

2. After I took the boat in, Brian sent me a estimate for the complete repair. All was good. Then when I went to pick up the boat, Brian was not there and Jim was taking care of me. They were unable to find the estimate that Brian had done before he went on vacation and they had to make another one to use as my bill. It turned out that the new one was over $1,000 more than the first one that Brian had made. This leaves me in a tight spot. Now I either have to pick up that difference or go back to my ins. co. again and ask them for more money. I know they are going to fight me on this because they are getting close to their total loss ratio already and this will definitely put them over. If they pick this up, they will have $6,500 into the salvage and repair and the boat was only insured for $7,000. The reason for the extra money is that Brian did not put a new rudder on the estimate. I know it needed it and that it should be paid for, but it would have been nice to know before I got there to pick it up. A phone call saying that we can not find Brian's estimate and we have to make a new one and here is the new price would have been nice. I also think SECC could help me out a bit. This was a $5,000 job for them and I know they make a good amount off of that.

Brian is on vacation until after the 4th and I am going to call him then.

Does anyone think I am wrong to not expect to pay an extra $1,000 over the estimate?

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: June-23-2008 at 11:56am
Another thing that SECC mentioned was that I need a new carb. They said the secondaries were not opening. I am not really up on carbs. Will rebuilding it help, or should I just get a new one? I assume I can check to make sure they are not opening by taking the arrester off and watching to see if the butterfly opens as we give it gas? If I need a new one, anyone have a good place to get a reman?

Thanks.

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: June-23-2008 at 12:17pm
rebuild the carb and get new diaphrams for the secondaries and don't confuse estimate with actual cost or time required.

-------------

Date Posted: June-23-2008 at 1:37pm
Thanks for the advice on the carb, Chris.

I still feel that a 25% margin of error on an estimate is pretty large.

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: June-23-2008 at 3:05pm
Hey Adam,

I'm happy to hear that you're on the road to getting your boat fixed. When I had my accident, I was without my boat for a good month. My hull scratches were repaired and buffed up, two fins replaced, new shaft, new prop and engine re-aligned. You would never know anything ever happened to it. These boats can take a lickn'.

Keep us posted on the progress of your repairs. Can you go boating with anyone else in the meantime?

Ken

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1052&sort=&pagenum=4&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - Nautique 2001

Date Posted: June-23-2008 at 3:55pm
Ken-
Thanks. The repairs are done now. I picked it up from SECC on Sat. Like I stated in my previous post, the mechanical work all seems to be very good as well as the gel repair. It has been just about 6 weeks from the accident and i am just glad to have the boat back.

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: June-23-2008 at 4:11pm
Sorry, I'm playing some catch up here with your post. I'm glad to hear you got your boat back. I remember launching mine for the first time since my mishap. I was a little nervous, but it made me more aware of my surroundings. Enjoy!

Ken

-------------

Date Posted: June-27-2008 at 1:22pm
79, or anyone else that knows-
As far as my secondaries not opening, with the boat off, I put the throtle all the way down was looking in the carb. The primaries were open, and of course the secondaries were closed because the boat was off. I tried to manually open the secondaries, but i could not. I even tried pushing down on the side of the butterfly that should move down. They must be sealed shut by some gunk or something. I would like to try to get through the rest of the summer before I have to pull the carb off. I know it should be an easy job, but nothing ever seems to go smooth on this boat. I was wondering if it would hurt anything to give the secondaries a small shot of carb cleaner to break them free? I know carb cleaner is not good for gaskets, but would a small amount be too bad?

Just a thought.

Adam

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: June-27-2008 at 2:53pm
carb cleaner won't hurt anything other than paint, gaskets are not effected.

your not going to be able to open them up without a vacuum pump on the diaphram when your setting with it off you really need to be under way with the hatch up and arrestor off to watch them and see if they are opening, if they are not then you need to replace the diaphram for the secondaries, might check the rubber hose going to it as well if it has one forget exactly how it's plumbed.

-------------

Date Posted: June-27-2008 at 4:28pm
Alright, I will check it this weekend while I am out. I thought I would be able to notice if the secondaries were not opening. I would expect it to be slugish. Then again, maybe they have not been opening since I bought the boat last spring, and I don't know any different.

Thanks again for the info.

-------------
Boats:

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: June-27-2008 at 5:06pm
Adam,

The secondaries won't actually open until you get close to or at WOT and then only underway as Chris stated. Revving it in your driveway will never get them to open.

I would have to agree that if the secondaries aren't working, the vacuum diaphram should be looked at and possibly replaced. I seem to remember something about a small ball bearing in the vacuum port that needs to be there too when you remove the diaphram cover plate so be careful with that. Don't loose it. Just so you know, the diaphram can be a little tricky to get back in properly without tearing it when you put the cover screws back in place. Somewhat common issue for those a little bit inexperienced in the reassembly process. Certainly not difficult, but something to pay attention to.

If you have a vacuum pump you can check the the diaphram to see if it's working. Then the secondary throttle plate can be operated to at least verify if they're froze or not. I highly doubt that they're froze. If anything, the vacuum port or diaphram is boogered up causing the issue. Man, it's been too long since I took one of these things apart!!! Someone more knowledgable could certainly correct me on this stuff.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Date Posted: June-27-2008 at 7:56pm
Thanks Eddie. Just to clarify, I was not revving in the driveway. The engine was not even on. My thought process was that if I open the throttle all the way (engine off), it would move the linkage to even allow the secondaries to open. Then, since I have no vacuum, engine off, I could use a screw driver to push open the butterflies.

That is what I tried and it did not work. I guess that diaphragm is pretty tough to move without the vacuum. Oh well, hopefully we do not get rained out all weekend like they are predicting ( It will probably be nice and sunny all weekend, they are never right!) I will test it under load in the water.

After missing a big part of the season already with all the problems, I am just trying to hold off on the rebuild until the winter.

Adam

-------------
Boats:

Date Posted: June-30-2008 at 5:19am
Well guys,

Disaster struck here in Belgium yesterday at 10.46 AM too...
While pulling a skier on our lake, making a turn at some 200 yards from the shoreline... BANG!
I hit an unmarked pile of rubble in the water! Result: busted prop, bent shaft...
On the lucky side: no hull damage nor bent strut and rudder still fine... (I checked closely to see if there were any cracks to be found at the strut and rudder)
All damages and repairs are covered by the insurance, so that's a good thing too.
So, today, I will bring her to the CC dealer here in Belgium and will have to wait till all paperwork, expertise and fixing is done...
Will ask CC dealer to check everything closely and put her back to glory (also have him check tranny, engine, alignment,...).

The thing is... timing couldn't be worse! Weather is gonna be super for the next couple of weeks and on top of that, our club is preparing for our annual ski show

As I was telling my story to fellow boaters here in the harbor, I was surpised to hear a few others had had the same thing in that area. With some 15 fellow boat owners we went to the harbor master yesterday evening, to ask him to take action (one could notice that these guys were fed up with the lack of action on the part of the responsible instances). So, tuesday and wednesday, the harbor master and a few boaters equipped with dept finders will put temporary buoys on the lake in order to prevent these things to happen again...
The harbor master will also send a request to the governmental instances responsible for the lake, to schedule dredging of the shallow areas.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window