Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12350
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 6:32am

Topic: 1955 CC Hurricane Restoration
Posted By: 81nautique
Subject: 1955 CC Hurricane Restoration
Date Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:06pm
Well, the Hurricane has found a new home. We headed out friday morning arriving in Birmingham around 5pm, checked out the boat and what we we're in for to get it out and on the trailer then headed for a good night sleep after the 700 mile drive.

Got back to the boat at 7:30 am saturday and after 5 hours we were loaded and ready to start the trip home. Here's a collection of photos from the weekend.

I really need to thank a bunch of people to make this happen, Kurt and Kevin for loaning me a trailer, Pete for finding the boat and David Taylor for scoping it out and sending us pictures before the trip. Once again the memebers of this site come through with flying colors.

Obviously the boat needs alot of work but it is a "complete" boat that came with so many extras, every piece of hardware has been rechromed, new fuel tank, new prop shaft, reconditioned prop, new glass for the windshield, mahogony ply and solid planks to for repairs, two rebuilt carbs, the list goes on and on. We couldn't happier and will post picts as we progress.

Replies:
Posted By: Barracuda
Date Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:11pm
Too cool!
Congrats on the new boat Alan!

-------------
Former:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=759" rel="nofollow - '86 Nautique
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=507" rel="nofollow - '65 Barracuda

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:32pm
Looks great Alan, glad you had a safe trip

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Andy
Date Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:39pm
If you need a spare pair of paws, give me a yell. I'd love to help on something like that.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:44pm
Alan, I think you need to take another look at the priorities on your "to do" list!! Forget about the garage door!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: November-09-2008 at 10:45pm
Alan,

Given what your 81 looks like, this Hurricane has found a great home. I can only imagine the calibre of restoration it is going to see. Its going to be a show stopper. Good luck with the project. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: November-09-2008 at 11:20pm
What can be said, awesome boat going to the right place.. Thats nice...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: p/allen
Date Posted: November-09-2008 at 11:21pm
Alan that boat looks great . It apears to be in very good condition . Are you keeping it at the house ? Cant wait to see it .

-------------
Pat
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/72ccfan/100_5977-1.jpg - My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: November-09-2008 at 11:42pm
That is amazing. Congratulations!! Cannot wait to see more.

Mike

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: critter
Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:04am
Looks like a really great project Alan. I kinda still wish I still lived in Chicago so that I could stop by and help some.
Please keep us posted with pictures..

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Posted By: rleinen79
Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:41am
Congrats Alan. I can't wait to see how it will turn out. I'm sure there will be no disappointments.

Rob

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7744" rel="nofollow - 2006 Ski 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1123" rel="nofollow - 97 SNOB

Posted By: The Godfather
Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:57am
Alan, man what a nice looking boat. I am sure the boat will get the care it deserves.

BTW, the decal looks great on your ride. (hehe)

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 1:06am
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

I kinda still wish I still lived in Chicago so that I could stop by and help some.

Well I don't wish I lived there..hear it snows..but I wish I was closer so I could stop over, drink some of your beer and watch.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 2:19am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Well I don't wish I lived there..hear it snows..but I wish I was closer so I could stop over, drink some of your beer and watch.

john

It really dosen't snow here,we just tell everyone that so it's not so crowded here all year-

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 2:24am
Heard it was snowing there during the Bears game.

I know it is crowded there but for the life of me can't figure out why.

You planning on visiting Dad down here? If so better figure on stopping here.

Stay warm and dry tomorrow!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 2:47am
Money John,why else would someone be here? Dad hasn't even left yet.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 3:25am
Of course money...the reason I stayed where I was for so long. The money was good. But don't really miss it that much.
I am remembering right aren't I...he does go south at some point?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 10:42am
That boat looks in good shape considering its age & construction.
It will definitely be a show stopper once you complete your restoration.

Your 81 & trailer give us and insight into your attention for detail. This boat has found it's dream home.

Looks looks like it was logistically planed with military precision. Tow vehicle & trailer U-haul truck with engine crane & boat dolly's that was some road trip.

P.S. It included a canopy as well. We call them bimini's in Aus. Now that's one for us. Not as bad as calling bread rolls biscuits though.

Great pickup we will need a Pumpkin patch style resto thread on this one.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 12:01pm
Pat, The boat is in my warehouse in Warrenville, anybody wants to stop by give me a call anytime.

Godfather, Good Eye on the Decals, they look perfect up there. Thank you

Lewy2001, I was ready for the worst but this boat is in amazingly good condition structurally, there are some repairs needed but very little wood will need replacing. It is a dream project for a first time wood restorer.

The planning was intense and executed brilliantly with my wifes help, that's her in the uhaul. Those dolly's and the engine hoist came with the boat!!! I also was handed a 1" think folder with receipts, old literature, and a spread sheet that the seller had made of every single item board for board that needed to be done to the boat. This was not his first boat restoration but his health stopped him on it. Every piece of hardware on the boat has been rechromed and there is a receipt in the folder for $1560 for it.

We felt a little bad taking it out of there but in the end I think the owners were happy to see it on it's way to being restored than collecting dust. Very nice people and they even called us on our way home to see how we were doing. We probably could have spent hours talking but the clock was ticking on the drive home.

-------------

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 3:44pm
Magic,
What an awesome boat.. Let's crack a few beers over it when you have time. Love to see what your plans are for her.. Oh, and you really did marry a saint, you know that??

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: uk1979
Date Posted: November-10-2008 at 10:05pm
Great boat, know you will bring her back to life.
Look forward to see the updates as she rebuilt.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 2:21am
That 327 is far more complete and original than mine. You have a good starting point with it. I'll copy the manual and send it on its way.

Take a pic of the chrome bits when you get the chance. I'd like to see what was on the boat.

It will be a real treat to see this brought back to life.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 10:13am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

That 327 is far more complete and original than mine. You have a good starting point with it. I'll copy the manual and send it on its way.

Take a pic of the chrome bits when you get the chance. I'd like to see what was on the boat.

It will be a real treat to see this brought back to life.

Steve No need for the manual, the boat came with a complete one. I'm going to start unpacking all the chrome tonight and get a few pics. I keep finding more stuff the seller threw in like brand new dock bumpers, dock lines, prop puller, stuffing wrench, 2 gallons of epoxy, it's like Christmas.

-------------

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 10:34am
talk about getting some wood, she's a beauty and i stress "a beauty"

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 11:18am
That's sweet. I see it has the "Euro Transom" . Must've been the inspiration for the 90-96 Ski Nautiques.

The brand name on the strap webbing says it all.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 11:19am
Oh, and the kicker- the license plate is still the original license plate from when Kurt and Kevin actually bought the 88 many years ago. Hilarious.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 11:39am
Joel,
The "Euro transom" is actually a means of getting the rudder way aft with the engine moved aft without having to use a V drive. (Chris Craft used the same technique) The basic hull frame I believe is common with the Commuter because it has the same beam. Same hull frame with slight mods to the transom frame. Kicking the transom out gives the Hurricane 5" of extra length. Different decking and hull paint scheme and the Hurricane.

Allen,
Did you get any indication as to what the original engine was? I have a feeling that because the Hurricane was a premium anniversary boat that CC would have dropped in what was considered a premium engine back then - A Chysler 6 rather than a normal Gray 6.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 11:44am
Alan, Looks like a great boat. I can't wait to see it. We were both up to the same thing this past week end.

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 11:58am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Oh, and the kicker- the license plate is still the original license plate from when Kurt and Kevin actually bought the 88 many years ago. Hilarious.

Joel, I noticed that when the seller said " I thought you came from Chicago?" took me a minute to figure out what he was talking about. Figured if we got stopped I'd just tell the officer we just bought the boat AND trailer and maybe get by with it.

The seller who is an ex Coast guardsman got a huge laugh when he saw the "NO Jap ***************" sticker on the trailer!!!

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 12:10pm
Pete, No indication as to the original power. The 1955 price sheet is pretty extensive but the Hurricane is not on it so it must have been a very limited production model.

Do you think it's a little ironic that we have a 20th Anniversary Nautique and now a 30Th Anniversary Correct Craft with "Cyclonicolor Styling" Funny how things work out sometimes.

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 12:39pm
Alan,

Very exciting Dude, awesome boat now, can only imagine how amazing it will be when fully restored. You hit the Jackpot with this one, two rare CC's now in the stable, gotta love it!!

I laughed when knuckles said you were using his trailer, first thing I thought of was it probably still had the expired Virginia plate on it. Showed Maddie the pic's and her comment was about Boaty being in the shot, then the boat.

PS, Pete, who is Allen??

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 12:54pm
Alan,
Stick with getting the 327 up and running for now but you should be keeping your eyes and ears open for a 55 Chysler or Gray. Ether engine would work without a point deduction because of the lack of records. However, the boys at the ACBS know that the 327 wasn't marinized until 58. I thought a period correct engine was a one point deduction but looked it up and it's a mandatory 2 pointer.

From the ACBS judging rules:

"ENGINE and ENGINE COMPARTMENT

Propulsion equipment and related components, except instruments;

1 Original or replacement with same engine model and age or optionally offered original engine: No mandatory deduction.

2 Any engine totally out of character with the age, type and style of the boat: 7 point mandatory deduction.

3 Replacement engine, later (or earlier) model than originally offered but no longer in production and, in character with the age, type and style of boat: 2 point mandatory deduction."

I want to see that boat receive a "best of show" and teach some of the ACBS members that CC did make top of the line boats and not just plywood "throw aways"!! I was very surprised when I received mine for the Atom!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 1:06pm
Allen hangs with Erik...

Nice find Alan, and I might have to take the 2 points!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 1:14pm
Pete, unless Alan's legs are broken I'd bet there's something inside him that has already envisioned barefooting behind this thing at least once. Better leave in the 8-banger for now!

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

PS, Pete, who is Allen??

Thanks for pointing out my error!! I sure don't want to start another "C" and "K" issue!! Must be my excitement and not proofing my posts!!
Sorry Alan

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 1:34pm

I'd bet there's something inside him that has already envisioned barefooting behind this thing at least once. Better leave in the 8-banger for now!

Joel,
I did say to keep it for now!

BTW, with 160HP and the weight of the boat, I hope he just keeps envisioning it!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'd bet there's something inside him that has already envisioned barefooting behind this thing at least once. Better leave in the 8-banger for now!

Joel,
I did say to keep it for now!

BTW, with 160HP and the weight of the boat, I hope he just keeps envisioning it!

Pete, It's got the 225hp 327 model but I would still be surprised to see it get to footin speed. I really am envisioning cruising around with the dual exhaust singing my favorite tune.

Ps, I was surpised how light the boat is at this point but I carried home about 1000# of stuff in the uhaul.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Pete, It's got the 225hp 327 model but I would still be surprised to see it get to footin speed.

Really? About how much would a 17' wooden boat this style weigh? I would have thought 40's would be possible with that sort of power.

Like I told you before Alan, this boat could hardly have gone to a better person- I know you will do it justice! Im looking forward to seeing the process.

Too bad that trailer you hauled it back on was such a clunker- that boat deserves better!

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 3:45pm
Tim, per the reference section, that boat is 18'9" with a 7' beam.
It does not list a weight.

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 3:51pm
Alan,
Get the model # off the engine. 58 would be the year that the 327's were just comming out. It could be the 250CI too. The 250 would be the 160HP! I don't feel they were getting the 225HP out of the 327 until about 1960 or 61. With the side draft carbs, the early 327's were 188HP. With the engine model # I'll be able to get the exact specs.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Tim, per the reference section, that boat is 18'9" with a 7' beam.
It does not list a weight.

Exactly, the boat is the same size length and beam as a 2001 nautique. Much taller freeboard but otherwise the same.

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 4:07pm

Alan,
Get the model # off the engine. 58 would be the year that the 327's were just comming out. It could be the 250CI too. The 250 would be the 160HP! I don't feel they were getting the 225HP out of the 327 until about 1960 or 61. With the side draft carbs, the early 327's were 188HP. With the engine model # I'll be able to get the exact specs.

I'll get the numbers later but there is a tag on the engine that says 225 hp.

-------------

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I'll get the numbers later but there is a tag on the engine that says 225 hp.

Could be that Reid was there. He has gained a lot of HP by replacing those stickers

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 6:09pm
Pete, Numbers off the engine are K6216, tag says Gray Marine V-8 225

-------------

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 8:48pm
Wow! I want one of those! I've missed too much of this new acquisition thread. You may have gotten a message from me last week Alan, and I'm certainly happy for you. And I've got a Gray Marine 310 tag if you'd like to increase the HP quite a bit. (Thanks for lettin that one out of bag, critter).   

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 9:52pm
Reid,

If you really want some HP gains I have some Vortec and Chevy stickers we can send down south.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: November-11-2008 at 9:55pm
Alan,
I got a answer. K6216 is not the model number but it is a serial number. K6216 would be of 1958 production. See if there's another # on the tag.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 12:02am
Pete, did you give Magic the photo's I sent you.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 2:15am
Glad you and Dana made it there and back safe and sound. Happy to contribute to the project!

-------------

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 2:17am
Spent a few hours tonight opening up some more boxes of parts, just keeps getting better. Here's a few pictures of the hardware. Also found a carton of plastic ziplock bags full of bits and pieces all labeled for identification. Very fortunate this was taken apart by a pro.

-------------

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 7:33am
Originally posted by The Godfather The Godfather wrote:

Pete, did you give Magic the photo's I sent you.

Dave,
Yes, got it when I got to work this morning and forwarded it on to Alan.

Man you're holding out on us!! Stuff like this Kieth should be putting in our ref. section!! I know, digging through the archives is time consuming. How about considering digging out a couple of boxes of the lit. and loaning it to one of our members to scan?

Alan,
I just caught a interesting detail. The pictures show black step pads. Your's are white. This however makes reproducing them easy! Pulling a hard mold with Devcon epoxy off the existing and then recasting them in black Devcon urethane rubber!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 7:57am
Sure is a lot of eye candy there.

But I bet JBear only noticed the girls

-------------

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 8:42am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Lewy,
The only problem is that even at John and my ages it's like looking at pictures of our mothers!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 8:53am
Now you mention it they do look it bit like mum.

The hurricane was built before I was born but not buy much.

-------------

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 9:43am
Alan,
Any screws for the deck hardware? If you did get them, take a real close look at their condition. Chrome plated brass don't hold up to may removals/reuse very well. They should all be oval head slotted. The best alternate (and accepted) are stainless oval heads sheet metal. I actually like sheet metal better than a wood screw because of the full length deeper and sharper threads on them. They hold better and a shank pilot hole doesn't need to be drilled. The only problem with them is each head needs to be buffed out to the mirror chrome like finish! I know you've got the buffing down though!!

Edit: I see screws in the baggies!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 9:56am
I am glad you like the photo's and build sheet info.

Just wanted to add something with the project.

I can see the smiles of Alan face when he opens the boxes up and say's give me another one Dana.. (hehe)

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 10:36am
Wow Dave, I hadn't seen Pete's email yet so this was a nice surprise this morning, Thank you so much. We've scoured the internet and just can't find much on this boat so these pics are really the only reference we have. Truly appreciated.

Pete the step pads are actually black, the boat sat in a barn from 1975 to 2000 and was covered in an 1/8" of dust and thats what you're seeing on the pads, they are in pretty good shape and may be ok once cleaned up.

Yes, lots of baggies of screws, it's going to kill me not to be able to start on this until next fall but I'll probably atleast survey the mechanical items and get started on some of those things.

-------------

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 10:48am
Alan,
Don't loose the pictures! Print them out (photo quality paper) and start a portfolio. You will need the back up and possibly would want to make a display for showing.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:35am
The hardware looks really nice. Wonder what it cost someone to rechrome all that?

-------------

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The hardware looks really nice. Wonder what it cost someone to rechrome all that?

Bruce, the receipt was in with the paperwork I got with the boat. $1560 in 2001

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:47am

Not starting on that boat till the fall could be considered correctcraftfan abuse...

Looks like you have a few motor choices if you want to go the Pete B route. Although really the only choice would be trying to locate the 200hp chysler...

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 11:49am
I love the "Big Arrow" motif on the deck planking design. Um... THIS WAY IS FORWARD. You'll never have to ask yourself which end is the front, regardless of how much you've drank or anything else. The whole top of the boat is a giant arrow pointing that way.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Looks like you have a few motor choices if you want to go the Pete B route. Although really the only choice would be trying to locate the 200hp chysler...

I'm on it already!!!! One Chrysler Imperial coming right up!!

BTW, The Imperial is a straight 8 (flat head), pistons the size of 1lb coffee cans, torque like you wouldn't believe, very smooth running and will run all day long at red line (about 36K)!! It may weigh a few pounds though but of course this isn't the barefooting boat!! Maybe a wake boat??? No tower please!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 1:35pm

red line (about 36K)!!

Holy. Sounds like they could use that engine for F1.

-------------

Date Posted: November-12-2008 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

red line (about 36K)!!

Holy. Sounds like they could use that engine for F1.

EDIT! EDIT! Missed the decimal point. I should have just done it the long way as 3600RPM!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-13-2008 at 3:40am

Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Lewy,
The only problem is that even at John and my ages it's like looking at pictures of our mothers!!

Pete: LOL...how right you are...they do look pretty hot in that boat tho.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Posted By: adamt
Date Posted: November-13-2008 at 4:02am

ALL girls look hot when they're in a boat!!!!

-------------
-Adam

1973 Skier

Date Posted: November-13-2008 at 7:46am

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

BTW, The Imperial is a straight 8 (flat head), pistons the size of 1lb coffee cans, torque like you wouldn't believe, very smooth running and will run all day long at red line!

The straight 8 started bothering me after looking at the Hurricane aft deck length. That engine is very long engine and I started to think it just wouldn't fit in the boat. (remember, this isn't a V drive) The straight 8 is a pre WWII design (30's). I got in touch with a friend and learned something! In 1955 Chrysler Marine transfered the "Imperial" name to a new engine. I now feel the 200 HP Imperial listed in the Hurricane price sheet is the 331 CI Imperial HEMI!!!

In a 2V form, it's rated at the 200 HP at 3800RPM. With dual quads, it was rated at 250 HP.

I've seen a few of the 331's and will say the block is a BIG chunk of cast iron but less than the 30's straight 8!

How about that for the Mopar guys!! Reid? Phats?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: nates78ski
Date Posted: November-13-2008 at 2:44pm
Nice Pickup Alan! That boat is sweet. I can only Imagine the fun opening boxes of newly chromed hardware Me, myself, I've gotta go find hardware to the Atom.. & have it Chromed myself...You lucky sonofa.....

Originally posted by adamt adamt wrote:

ALL girls look hot when they're in a boat!!!!

This is completely true. And, very disappointing when you meet a girl on the lake, & then take her off the boat, It's like you went from being 10 beers deep to stone sober.

Nate

-------------
Nathan
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1463&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll

Posted By: skinaut
Date Posted: November-13-2008 at 3:57pm
I don't even know what to say but...WOW!
that boat will knock em dead at the shows.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/3984/photo1.jpg" rel="nofollow - 86 Ski

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h183/chinewalker/boats/May820015.jpg" rel="nofollow - 70 Centurion

Date Posted: November-15-2008 at 11:15am
If the marine engine was the same as this 56 car,lots of Hp to be had.

This is up on UK ebay,there are some Chrysler Marine rocker covers on US ebay too.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220308036097 - Chrysler Desoto Firedome Hemi

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: November-15-2008 at 1:50pm
I do know a guy who is dis-mantling a 1962 woody, and he tells me it has Chrysler 383's in it....and looking to sell them. I know little about Chryslers and didnt know 383's existed in 1962
i will pursue if anyone has interest in one of them

-------------

Date Posted: November-15-2008 at 6:27pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gooBmy7C10 - 331 (or354) dual quad Chrysler hemi - marine

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-15-2008 at 7:06pm
What are the odds, Pete? I was just looking at a Glen-L forum that had a link to that youtube clip. I saved it to post and you beat me to it. The guy with the hemi is putting it in a glen-L boat he is building.

http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m458/BUNMAN-BOAT/?action=view¤t=STA71500003.jpg - Glen-L link to photobucket pics of project

-------------

Date Posted: November-15-2008 at 8:57pm
Larry,
I spotted the boat too. I don't feel that lightweight Glen-L ply boat will hold up for very long with that Hemi!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-15-2008 at 9:45pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gooBmy7C10 - 331 (or354) dual quad Chrysler hemi - marine

Ok, I've been ignoring you guys talking about repowering the Hurricane but NOW you've got my attention. man does that monster sound nice.

-------------

Posted By: skinaut
Date Posted: November-15-2008 at 10:16pm

Larry,
I spotted the boat too. I don't feel that lightweight Glen-L ply boat will hold up for very long with that Hemi!!!

that is exactly what I was thinking while watching that clip

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/images/3984/photo1.jpg" rel="nofollow - 86 Ski

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h183/chinewalker/boats/May820015.jpg" rel="nofollow - 70 Centurion

Posted By: reidp
Date Posted: November-16-2008 at 12:30pm
Great research, homework, and knowledge Pete! A Hemi Hurricane?? Has a nice ring to it doesn't it. We know there's one out there, we just need to find it so Alan can buy it.

-------------
ReidP
/diaries/details.asp?ID=231&yrstart=1971&yrend=1975 - 1973 Mustang

Date Posted: November-16-2008 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

We know there's one out there, we just need to find it so Alan can buy it.

There is a pair (L and R) on ebay but I'll bet they are salt water engines out of a re power plus they are reduction trans's. A trans may be harder to find than the Hemi RR!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-16-2008 at 12:40pm
unless you know the right people...lol

-------------

Date Posted: November-16-2008 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by skinaut skinaut wrote:

Larry,

that is exactly what I was thinking while watching that clip

Yeah, but just think of the ride up to the point where the boat starts to disintegrate

"Hey, y'all...watch this!!"

-------------

Posted By: Maddie
Date Posted: November-19-2008 at 8:09pm
hi Allen i like your new woodie boat and i like pie ha ha ha bye allen and dania.

love the awsomest person EVER MADDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
My Dad is So Cool!

Date Posted: November-19-2008 at 9:37pm
Did I miss a new member? Welcome Maddie Way to go Chris must make you proud!

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: nates78ski
Date Posted: November-20-2008 at 1:59am
we have a new youngest member it looks like. (I'm finally not it anymore!) Welcome Maddie!

Nate

-------------
Nathan
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1463&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll

Date Posted: November-20-2008 at 8:12am
Maddie,
Keep posting so we know what you're up to. We don't want your dad teaching you any of his bad habits!!

I'll bet that now that our summer is over, you're hoping for some cold weather to freeze the lake. I understand your dad does a great job at maintaining a rink.

For those of you that may live in the south like LA., a "rink" is for ice skating. We have metal blades attached to the bottoms of boots you use on the ice.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-20-2008 at 10:35am
Hi Maddie, I promise you a ride when it's done.

and Bohdi says "hey"

-------------

Posted By: RainDog
Date Posted: November-21-2008 at 12:22am
Alan,
Pete cc'd me on a question you had regarding the guys at GrayMarineParts.com. I've found that they don't answer emails, ever. But if you get them on the phone, they are nice and helpful. I usually talk to a guy named Kim.

They bought a bunch of NOS and used Gray Marine parts and are building a warehouse for them. They readily admit they are in a transition stage and finding stuff is sometimes difficult.

I've had no problems ordering gaskets and other like items they have had re-poped. But, for instance, when I asked for an alternator and bracket, something that would require some digging around, I usually don't get a call back. I believe the proactive would be rewarded, but I usually have my work around by then.

I've asked to be able to come down and rut around for parts personally. Maybe you and I could arrange a Saturday this spring to do so.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1868&sort=&pagenum=1 - 62 Classic

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5242&sort=&pagenum=1 - 2002 Super Air

Date Posted: November-21-2008 at 12:47am
Originally posted by RainDog RainDog wrote:

I've asked to be able to come down and rut around for parts personally. Maybe you and I could arrange a Saturday this spring to do so.

I'd be up for that, they're only about 20 minutes from home. Think I'll go by this weekend and see if anyones around.

Realistically, I don't even know what I need yet but I'm trying to get sources lined up when I do get started. I can't start the woodworking this winter but I was thinking about pulling the heads and taking a look inside. Just hate to start taking things apart if I'm not really ready to. More anxious than anything I guess.

-------------

Date Posted: November-21-2008 at 7:45pm
I just got back from seeing the Hurricane. Wow! It is a very restorable hull and certainly will be a pleasure to see this classic back on the water. I'm confident that with Alan doing this boat it will come out a beauty!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-25-2008 at 9:28am
1:1's not stated?? Salt water engines too!

http://www.tradingdock.org/index.php?a=2&b=1228 - Hemi's

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-25-2008 at 9:48am
If you go Hemi this may be worth a look,he has other parts as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220317122354&sspagename=STRK - Marine Hot Rockers

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: FINS
Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:06am
I missed the beginning of this discussion but was wondering if this is the same Hurricane as the one listed at Woodies Restorations? (link below I hope) He lists it as the last one, so I was not sure if it is the same boat. If not, his is shown with a Grey V8 (is it Gray or Grey? I see it both ways!) Looks like the V8-188 model that came in my Atom.

http://www.woodiesrestorations.com/ForSale.html - Hurricane for sale

You have to scroll down about half way through the list to find it.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2262&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1925&yrend=1960" rel="nofollow - 59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:15am
Sorry, I should have looked closer at the pictures and compared the hull numbers. Great find and I can't wait to see some progress pictures!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2262&sort=&pagenum=3&yrstart=1925&yrend=1960" rel="nofollow - 59 ATOM

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 3:44am
Brian,
It is the same boat that's listed in Woodies. In fact, not only is it the last one, it may be the only one!! Mr. Ralph (Meloon) didn't even remember the boat!!!
The Gray (it's a "a"!) is the 327 225HP but I've got a feeling I have Alan convinced to look for a 331 Hemi which is one of the engines listed as being available (no ACBS point deduction - plus the Alan fun factor!!!)

The "find" actually started in this thread: http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12282&PN=4 - Hurricane in Alabama

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 12:04pm
One of the members who knows J-Bear has a complete 327 gray in his Garage,
Dan/CC he lives in Streetsboro Ohio,
J-bear will chime in, it was on a stand and a spare I Believe

-------------

Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 4:17pm
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307431&highlight=331+hemi - 331 hemi in WI

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301134&highlight=331+hemi - runner in TX

Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 4:30pm
Thanks Pete. Not sure how I missed the first string on this boat. I remember seeing that add in the Rudder, the Woodies listing, and the one listed here in the diaries. I just never put them all together as the same boat. The 331 would be a great motor in that boat! Almost as fun as the 327 in my 14' Atom! If the fuel prices stay low, a trip to your side of the country with the finished product in 2010 would be fun!
I will keep my ears open here for a motor option. We have several here in the NW ACBS with some great collections of vintage power!

-------------

Lake Tapps, Wa.

Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 4:41pm
Andy,
Alan's better off looking for a marine version rather than the automotive. The rotation is the same as the automotive because in the marine it's a flywheel forward however, the oil pan it going to be different. First, it's cast rather than stamped steel plus it's sump is shaped with the mounting angle in a boat in mind. I don't know for sure if the 331 is cammed different than the automotive but there is a good chance it is. Many of the marines back then were cammed for higher mid range torques than their car counterparts. One nice thing about the Marine with it being a flywheel forward, (same rotation) is some of the internals are the same making it easier to find parts.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 4:54pm
there was also a listing for a marine engine in WA but it was removed as they do not allow outside links (CL, EPay, ETC..) Ive sent that guy a message. We'll see...

Date Posted: November-30-2008 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

One of the members who knows J-Bear has a complete 327 gray in his Garage,
Dan/CC he lives in Streetsboro Ohio,
J-bear will chime in, it was on a stand and a spare I Believe

Right you are eric...hopefully Dan will notice this thread. His name here is 93/70ccpb I think. He was on a couple weeks ago telling us about his Dad's '80 that burned up in storage in Medina. Skied a long time with the Dad, Gene.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Print Page | Close Window