Print Page | Close Window

Super Sport Vs Sport Nautique

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Common Questions
Forum Discription: Visit here first for common questions regarding your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16398
Printed Date: May-17-2024 at 7:32am

Topic: Super Sport Vs Sport Nautique
Posted By: robertbruder
Subject: Super Sport Vs Sport Nautique
Date Posted: January-28-2010 at 8:31pm
Can somebody help me understand the key differences between a Super Sport and a Sport Nautique?

Also I have found a 1993 Open bow Nautique. What is the difference between this and a Sport Nautique..

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: January-28-2010 at 8:49pm
The key difference is that a Super Sport is a VDrive. The Sport is a Direct Drive. The Vdrive is typically a much better wakeboard boat, and "not-so much" for skiing. The sport is a relatively large direct drive boat. It is very good for skiing, but not world class. With proper weighting, it can also be a good wakeboard boat, but will probably never be at the level of the Vdrive.

Without seeing it, I can only guess about the 83. The Ski Nautique is Correct Crafts flagship competion water ski boat. It was also offered in an open bow configuration, with it's hull dimensions being identical to the closed bow version. The windshield was moved back a couple of inches and a playpen style open bow was featured.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: January-29-2010 at 1:15pm
Thanks for the response.

Forgive me for being a newbie, but why is a V-Drive better than a direct drive for wakeboarding? I am assuming it has to do with weight distribution? So the motor being at the back at the boat provides a more desireable wake for wake boarding?

Posted By: skicat2001
Date Posted: January-29-2010 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

The key difference is that a Super Sport is a VDrive. The Sport is a Direct Drive. The Vdrive is typically a much better wakeboard boat, and "not-so much" for skiing. The sport is a relatively large direct drive boat. It is very good for skiing, but not world class. With proper weighting, it can also be a good wakeboard boat, but will probably never be at the level of the Vdrive.

Without seeing it, I can only guess about the 83. The Ski Nautique is Correct Crafts flagship competion water ski boat. It was also offered in an open bow configuration, with it's hull dimensions being identical to the closed bow version. The windshield was moved back a couple of inches and a playpen style open bow was featured.

BKH

Brian,
Thanks for that post. I did not know that the Sport was a direct drive, and the Super is a V-Drive..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-29-2010 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by robertbruder robertbruder wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Forgive me for being a newbie, but why is a V-Drive better than a direct drive for wakeboarding? I am assuming it has to do with weight distribution? So the motor being at the back at the boat provides a more desireable wake for wake boarding?

Better is kind of loaded word. I was trying to keep it simple.
With identical running surfaces, a Vdrive will hava a larger wake than a direct drive, simply because the heavy weight of the engine has been moved from the middle of the boat to the back of the boat. Most wakeboarders believe that bigger is better. I would argue that properly weighted, many direct drives, including the Sport Nautique can throw up a wakeboard wake which is far beyond the skillsets of majority of people on a wakeboard. There are only a limited few who really can take advantage of a very large wake.

Wake shape also has a lot to do with whether a wakeboard wake is considered good. The Super Sport/Super Air happens to have a hull shape which creates a wake which many feel is on of the best shaped wakes of all time. The Sport Nautique has the same, or very similar running surface, and therefore it can produce a shape very similar to that of the Super - but, you have to add a lot of ballast weight to get a similar size wake.

Wakeboarders also prefer the VDrives because the arena seating is "more social", and these days many prefer the VDrives because they are typically better for wake surfing.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: January-29-2010 at 7:34pm
Do you know if the Martinique is a direct drive or a V-Drive?

Date Posted: January-29-2010 at 7:55pm
I am not that familiar with Martiniques. Every one I have seen is a direct drive. The hull shape of the Martinique changed quite a bit over the years. The earlier Martinique's were smaller boats with fairly flat hulls. The later Martiniques were bigger hulls with a more V bottom.

Maybe some of the Martinique owners will chime in.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: January-29-2010 at 8:05pm
Direct drive is the only way to go..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-29-2010 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Again, I am kind of a newbie here. Can you explain why you think direct drive is the only way to go?

With a V-Drive is there any horse power loss do to any transfer gears etc?

Posted By: dip
Date Posted: January-29-2010 at 9:12pm
There have been a number of threads discussing "which boat is better" type topics, and you can hear strong opinions either way. My thoughts are that by even being in the discussion of inboards, and Correct Crafts in particular, you've already made the most important decision. My first question would be how you plan to use the boat. I'd assume that without a strong opinion already, you aren't a hardcore skier or boarder. Generally, as mentioned above, the Direct Drives are considered more slalom type boats, and the V-Drives wakeboard boats. That is not at all so say each can't be used reasonably well for either. I'm a slalom skier first and foremost, and even with two little kids, I have and will continue to have a direct drive boat. But for friends that ski a little, board a little, have kids and are more about family time on the water, I've recommended the V-Drives (and the Super Sport specifically, given their budget for a used Nautique.) One friend in particular had been exposed to my Ski Nautique for years, and loved how it sat low in the water, handled like a sports car, etc, but he isn't hardcore about skiing or boarding. He was more afraid he'd lose some of those "cool" qualities in a V-Drive, but he has a 2001 Super Sport and loves everything about it. My brother is a hardcore wakeboarder and he also has a 2001 Super Sport and feels about it as I feel about my Ski Nautique.
Boats feel weird to me without and engine in the middle, but I will admit with kids and a wife, the roominess in the V-drives is nice. If you do your own maintenance, it is much more difficult to get to everything in the v-drive.
In answer to your last question, I don't believe there is a power loss, but the handling characteristics of a v-drive are not as good as the direct drive, as you could expect given the difference in weight distribution. They are still light years beyond an inboard-outboard, however. (except at idle speeds)

Date Posted: January-29-2010 at 10:49pm
Thanks to everyone for all of the great info.

My boat serves a dual purpose. The majority of the time it is used for 3 amateurs Wakeboarding. I would also like something that would be accomodating to host family and friends.

At the end of last season I got a Barefoot Nautique project boat.

My thought process was that the larger motor and deeper hull would make it great for Wakeboarding. Has anyone every wakeboarded behind one of these?

Would you recommend putting a tower on the Barefoot Nautique for wake boarding or would that ruin the boat for Barefoot skiers?

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: January-30-2010 at 10:46am

Would you recommend putting a tower on the Barefoot Nautique for wake boarding or would that ruin the boat for Barefoot skiers?

Some may argue adding a tower to a boat that originally was not available with one will deter it's value or take away from the factory original theme, that decision is all about personal choice.

Really do not think a tower would negatively effect the Barefoot capabilities of your boat, in fact it would enhance them as many barefooters prefer a higher pull point such as a tower or extended pylon not to mention the other enhancements a tower offers.

Where a tower would be considered a negative is on a slalom boat primarily because it adds weight and that typically will create a larger or harder slalom wake.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: January-30-2010 at 12:00pm

Again, I am kind of a newbie here. Can you explain why you think direct drive is the only way to go?

With a V-Drive is there any horse power loss do to any transfer gears etc?

Hey Robert,
I grew up with Direct drive boats, been around them for 30 yrs. I think they are the only way to go cause of more power, and the way they drive is totally different. V- DRIVE boats feel like you are driving a 18 wheel boat, direct drive jump out of the hole much quicker and turn on a dime. Different qualties, and also direct drive is from the old school, that V-DRIVE is recently new. I say this I'll keep my FREEDOM, YOU CAN HAVE THE CHANGE!!!!!! LOL

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-30-2010 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by dip dip wrote:

There have been a number of threads discussing "which boat is better" type topics, and you can hear strong opinions either way. My thoughts are that by even being in the discussion of inboards, and Correct Crafts in particular, you've already made the most important decision. My first question would be how you plan to use the boat. I'd assume that without a strong opinion already, you aren't a hardcore skier or boarder. Generally, as mentioned above, the Direct Drives are considered more slalom type boats, and the V-Drives wakeboard boats. That is not at all so say each can't be used reasonably well for either. I'm a slalom skier first and foremost, and even with two little kids, I have and will continue to have a direct drive boat. But for friends that ski a little, board a little, have kids and are more about family time on the water, I've recommended the V-Drives (and the Super Sport specifically, given their budget for a used Nautique.) One friend in particular had been exposed to my Ski Nautique for years, and loved how it sat low in the water, handled like a sports car, etc, but he isn't hardcore about skiing or boarding. He was more afraid he'd lose some of those "cool" qualities in a V-Drive, but he has a 2001 Super Sport and loves everything about it. My brother is a hardcore wakeboarder and he also has a 2001 Super Sport and feels about it as I feel about my Ski Nautique.
Boats feel weird to me without and engine in the middle, but I will admit with kids and a wife, the roominess in the V-drives is nice. If you do your own maintenance, it is much more difficult to get to everything in the v-drive.
In answer to your last question, I don't believe there is a power loss, but the handling characteristics of a v-drive are not as good as the direct drive, as you could expect given the difference in weight distribution. They are still light years beyond an inboard-outboard, however. (except at idle speeds)

gOOD POINT..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: January-31-2010 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Where a tower would be considered a negative is on a slalom boat primarily because it adds weight and that typically will create a larger or harder slalom wake.

If that's the case I ruined a perfectly good Ski Supreme.... actually the tower is easily removable by removing 4 clevis pens.

Date Posted: January-31-2010 at 6:54pm

V- DRIVE boats feel like you are driving a 18 wheel boat, direct drive jump out of the hole much quicker and turn on a dime. Different qualties, and also direct drive is from the old school, that V-DRIVE is recently new. I say this I'll keep my FREEDOM, YOU CAN HAVE THE CHANGE!!!!!! LOL

Sounds like I better test drive a V-Drive before buying one.

Date Posted: January-31-2010 at 8:26pm
I would, but like the others said Rob, depends what you are going to use it for. If you have a large family and need more room and storage, go with the V- DRIVE, but I gurantee if you drive a direct drive boat, you become spoiled in drivabilty and how it pops people out of the water.Sound too.. :)

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: February-01-2010 at 12:17pm

I am not that familiar with Martiniques. Every one I have seen is a direct drive. The hull shape of the Martinique changed quite a bit over the years. The earlier Martinique's were smaller boats with fairly flat hulls. The later Martiniques were bigger hulls with a more V bottom.

Maybe some of the Martinique owners will chime in.

BKH

So I have narrowed my search down to this.
I decidely want an open bow Correct Craft.

With price range restrictions of $7000 to $15000 my choices become. Martinique, Open Bow Ski Nautique, Sport Nautique, Super Sport.

A friend told me that,
"Martiniques are a 21ft boat with 230hp engine. They are under powered"

Has anyone experienced this?

The trade-off for the Super Sport is a V-Drive which we have discussed the advantages and disadvantages of.

But what about an Open Bow Ski Nautique vs a Sport Nautique? What is the key difference?

Does the Sport Nautique have any lifters on the underside of the hull etc similiar to the early Air Nautiques?

Date Posted: February-01-2010 at 2:01pm
So now you are asking for an opinion, because there really is not a right or wrong answer. Free advice, so take it for what it's worth.

My opinion:

Don't bother with Open Bow SN. Although it has a small open bow, you will not find yourself with any more room than you have in the BFN and you'll have less storage.

Don't bother with a Martinique. You already have a "starter boat" with your BFN. While there are a some people out their who really covet/love/want the Martinique, Riviera etc., for most people, they would rather have a more modern open bow. The for sale ad will read
"Great starter boat. The only reason I'm selling is to 'upgrade' to a Super Air Nautique."

Based upon how you've described using the boat, your experience, budget, etc. I would search for a Super Sport Nautique. In your price range, you may even find a Super Air Nautique which would be the same boat, but would include a tower and ballast system. The Super Airs are not easy to find in your price range but they are out there, usually needing some upholstery or cosmetic work. You should be able to find a Super Sport 1995-1999 in your price range, and may even find a later model in that range.

If you can't find a Super Sport or Super Air, then I would search for
A Sport Nautique. Based on your parameters, my recommendation would be a 1993-1997.

As I said, free advice, take it for what it's worth.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: February-01-2010 at 2:05pm
Your friend is not a good source of Correct Craft information.

A friend told me that,
"Martiniques are a 21ft boat with 230hp engine. They are under powered"

-------------

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 12:17am
V drives don't handle poorly, they just don't handle as well as direct drives, both will be better than a I/O. If a V drive is on the list don't forget about the early 90's Excel's and Barefoot's, they aren't as easy to find, but they are cheaper than the Super Sports. The open bow in the Ski Nautique is like the one in my Excel, and it isn't as useful and a full open bow, but the kids like it, and it keeps the rest of the boat warmer in the winter so I like it too.

Posted By: Chopper
Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 1:58am

I would search for a Super Sport Nautique. In your price range, you may even find a Super Air Nautique which would be the same boat, but would include a tower and ballast system. The Super Airs are not easy to find in your price range but they are out there, usually needing some upholstery or cosmetic work. You should be able to find a Super Sport 1995-1999 in your price range, and may even find a later model in that range.

Hey Brian,
If you happen to come across any SS's / SAN's in that price bracket over in your area of the world let me know.

I'm always looking but never seem to find.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1540&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000 - 98 Ski

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:04am
I'll keep an eye out Chopper. Saw a 2000 Super Air 20 miles from house last year for 13,500. Needed a complete interior. Guy in Utah bought it site unseen and had it shipped. Had it up for sale 6 months later for 20K. I also believe DavidF found his 2000 Super air for about 16 a year and half ago. It too needed upholstery. I've seen a 95 and a 97 SS, both looked to be in good condition for 11K. Just a matter of being in right place at right time. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: Chopper
Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:23am

I'll keep an eye out Chopper. Saw a 2000 Super Air 20 miles from house last year for 13,500. Needed a complete interior. Guy in Utah bought it site unseen and had it shipped. Had it up for sale 6 months later for 20K. I also believe DavidF found his 2000 Super air for about 16 a year and half ago. It too needed upholstery. I've seen a 95 and a 97 SS, both looked to be in good condition for 11K. Just a matter of being in right place at right time. BKH

Cheers Brian.
Anything similar to any the above will do. Would definately prefer the SAN though for the factory tower.

I've got the cash ready to go, just need to find the hull.

It's all about the hull.   

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1540&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000 - 98 Ski

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 11:25am
Lond as it is a Nautique you good to go!!!!

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 11:26am
OOPPPSS, Long as it is a Nautique... you good to go...

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:54pm
Thanks again everyone for the info.

BKH, I believe you are right about the Martinique. It might get me through the next year or so but then I would just be looking to upgrade again.

Probably best just to sell one and keep one of my current boats (BFN and Ski Supreme) until I find the SSN or SAN. Although I would not turn down a Sport Nautique at a descent price.

The BFN needs new floor and interior. Should I attempt to sell it as a project or what would you guys suggest? I know that some people race the BFN's and they may want to build it up themselves. Someone mentioned that the BFN is a starter boat? I was under the impression that BFN's are sought after by the Barefoot community. Are there any barefooters that could chime in? Is the BFN preferred to a Sport Nautique for instance?

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:56pm
Thanks again everyone for the info.

BKH, I believe you are right about the Martinique. It might get me through the next year or so but then I would just be looking to upgrade again.

Probably best just to sell one and keep one of my current boats (BFN and Ski Supreme) until I find the SSN or SAN. Although I would not turn down a Sport Nautique at a descent price.

The BFN needs new floor and interior. Should I attempt to sell it as a project or what would you guys suggest? I know that some people race the BFN's and they may want to build it up themselves. Someone mentioned that the BFN is a starter boat? I was under the impression that BFN's are sought after by the Barefoot community. Are there any barefooters that could chime in? Is the BFN preferred to a Sport Nautique for instance?

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 2:59pm
The BFN is a desirable boat, though the market for one is quite small! There are lways plenty project BFNs for sale, I don't think your boat is worth more than $2k.

-------------

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 3:28pm
Rob-

Do yourself a favor and go drive both boats. Personally, a Vdrive is out of the question because I do all of my own work on my boat.

Tim

-------------

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The BFN is a desirable boat, though the market for one is quite small! There are lways plenty project BFNs for sale, I don't think your boat is worth more than $2k.

Currently I have approximately that ($2k) into it. The question would be. Do I go with putting in the floor ($2500 - $3000) and upholstery ($1000) before trying to sell the BFN having around $6500 into the boat overall. It seems what you are saying is that there are plenty of project BFN's out there so I would have a better chance at selling with a turn key. Some turn key BFNs have been listed on here for around $12,500. I don't think I will get hurt on the boat either way.

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Rob-

Do yourself a favor and go drive both boats. Personally, a Vdrive is out of the question because I do all of my own work on my boat.

Tim

Tim,

I am assuming that the V-Drive being in a compartment makes it harder to work on? Do you have to remove the interior or pull the engine to work on a V-Drive?

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 6:24pm

Do I go with putting in the floor ($2500 - $3000) and upholstery ($1000) before trying to sell the BFN having around $6500 into the boat overall.

Some turn key BFNs have been listed on here for around $12,500. I don't think I will get hurt on the boat either way.

You will not get $12,500 for your boat with this.

Do I go with putting in the floor ($2500 - $3000) and upholstery ($1000) before trying to sell the BFN having around $6500 into the boat overall.

A $12,500 BFN is not only going to be turn-key, but have a strong, low hour 454, original or high quality upholstery, shining gelcoat, full decals, and a good looking trailer.

-------------

Posted By: hotboat
Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 6:34pm
Investing in a boat with the idea of breaking even right now may be a bad option,unless you build to enjoy I would advise against it.

-------------
Brian

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:02pm

You will not get $12,500 for your boat with this.

Agreed. My point in stating that was to say... Hey I probably won't be out if I put the $3500 - $4000 into my BFN. Worst case scenario I have a fully functioning BFN.

My real question is that if I am looking to move to a Super Sport or Air Nautique in the next year then do I undergo this project?

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:07pm

A $12,500 BFN is not only going to be turn-key, but have a strong, low hour 454, original or high quality upholstery, shining gelcoat, full decals, and a good looking trailer.

What would be considered low hours? There are only so many boats from the 80's that can actually have 400 hours.. My BFN has 1100... would that be a lot or mid range?

I do have the replacement decals so that is good. The trailer is the original galvanized aluminum looks pretty good to me.

How important is it to have the original upholstery and interior pieces? Someone else has mentioned this to me as well.

Thanks again for the advice.

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:12pm
Quality vinyl is going to run you 2-3x $1,000 right off the bat. That does not include foam, wood backings, staples, original rotocast bases, or install!

I would consider <500 hrs low for an 80's boat.

Decals are worth a couple hundred, there are lots of hours tied up fiberglass repair and wetsanding the gel however.

-------------

Posted By: behindpropeller
Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:12pm

Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Rob-

Tim

Tim,

I am assuming that the V-Drive being in a compartment makes it harder to work on? Do you have to remove the interior or pull the engine to work on a V-Drive?

I can't answer that since every V drive is a bit different.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:17pm

How important is it to have the original upholstery and interior pieces? Someone else has mentioned this to me as well.

Everyone else can chime in, but Ill let you know (again ) that its important! Finding the plastic bases for the late 80's delux interior will be very difficult. If and when you do find them, they likely wont be cheap either.

To have all the upholstery done, youre looking at $2500-3500 for factory-quality foam/vinyl/install on a delux interior. It cost me about $1k for my Ski Tique, which has the non-delux interior (much fewer pieces) and the boat itself was much smaller. My '90 was a better comparison to the BFN and was north of $3500 a few years ago.

A full structural restoration alone will cost $1500-2000 on that boat just in materials. The estimate people usually give on here is about 200 man hours for that job. Thats a big investment of time and its not cheap... something to consider if you plan to upgrade in the near future anyways. I think most would agree that it may be wise to sell the boat as-is when looking at the economics of the situation.

-------------

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:23pm
Unless you enjoy doing this type of project work, it would probably not be in your best interest to rebuild the BFN. While you might break even, or do slightly better on your material investments, you will spend hundreds of hours doing the project. You won't get that time back - time when you could be doing something else - and you likely won't get back any compensation for your time, at least in the current economy and the value the boats are going for right now.

I'm currently working on a project boat because I enjoy the project. It relaxes me and takes my mind off other things. I have the advantage that I have another boat, which works perfectly fine. There's no pressure to get it done quickly. I did not even touch the project for nearly two years. Now I'm back at it and spending 20 or 30 hours a week on it.

I think the guys trying to meet a deadline to have the boat operational by summer feel a lot more pressure to get it done. They are cranking it out and putting in long hours. For me, that would take the relaxation part out of the project, but then again I would have been done by now. Heck, there are times, I just stare at the boat for an hour drinking a beer, thinking of what to do next.

If you do enjoy the project, it's very rewarding to tear a boat down and bring it back to something that will get another 20 years or more use. You also learn alot about these boats when you tear it down to a bare hull.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: hotboat
Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:31pm

Heck, there are times, I just stare at the boat for an hour drinking beer, thinking what have I done!   

BKH

-------------
Brian

Posted By: Air206
Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 7:56pm

Tim,

My Excel (V-drive) and my Air206 (DD) handle, ski and function very differently for my family. You absolutely need to be in both and drive both. We found "living" in the Excel to be VERY easy with the arena seating..... very comfortable..... but the wake, handling and ski-ability of the Direct Drive is amazing. The Excel was great for when the kids were little and we were beginner skiers..... the Air is great for what we do now..... your intended use determines hull design.

As far as repair, my Correct Craft v-drive had adequate space for general repair. In fact it is a little harder twisting my body in tight spaces working on my little direct drive Ski Tique.

-------------
https://tinyurl.com/y6t5e3bu" rel="nofollow - 04 Air206
http://tinyurl.com/9urzgls" rel="nofollow - 91 Barefoot
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 8:32pm
Thanks for your input everyone.

Last year I bought a Ski Supreme project and spent most of the summer working on it and not much of the summer skiing.

After the completion of that project I figured I would have more time over the winter to work on the BFN. This was not the case.

I am pretty sure you have all confirmed what I have thought all along.
Sell both the BFN and the Supreme. Let somebody else enjoy them so that I can buy the Super Sport and enjoy the water.

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 10:13pm
And just in case I win the lottery tomorrow...

What is the difference between a Super Air 210 and Super Air 230?

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 10:57pm

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 11:06pm

I'm currently working on a project boat because I enjoy the project. It relaxes me and takes my mind off other things.
If you do enjoy the project, it's very rewarding to tear a boat down and bring it back to something that will get another 20 years or more use. You also learn alot about these boats when you tear it down to a bare hull.
BKH

Bottom line Brian, that and the family is what it is all about. The side benefit is is all the friends we meet here.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: February-02-2010 at 11:36pm

Potentially a lot of money......
210s (21 ft) came out first....thereby purchased used at a lower price.
230s are bigger boats (23 ft) and came out several years later...more money.

If I wanted to get in a small project boat at a lower cost, I would look for a 94 or later SuperSport (No wood stringers) and enjoy..... maybe even a tower. 230's are gonna be some major coin.

Check out PlanetNautique.com for more recent model info. This site is primarily oriented for "Correct Crafts" ....... PN is geared toward "Nautiques".

Keep looking around..... that is a ton of fun... (I'll take the BFN of your hands - if my wife says its OK    )

-------------
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: February-03-2010 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

Potentially a lot of money......
210s (21 ft) came out first....thereby purchased used at a lower price.
230s are bigger boats (23 ft) and came out several years later...more money.

If I wanted to get in a small project boat at a lower cost, I would look for a 94 or later SuperSport (No wood stringers) and enjoy..... maybe even a tower. 230's are gonna be some major coin.

Check out PlanetNautique.com for more recent model info. This site is primarily oriented for "Correct Crafts" ....... PN is geared toward "Nautiques".

Keep looking around..... that is a ton of fun... (I'll take the BFN of your hands - if my wife says its OK    )

Thanks for the info. I was hoping there was a bigger difference than 20 horse power. The numbering makes sense now. So a Ski Nautique 190 would be a 19 ft boat.

So another dumb question. Correct Craft refers to more of the classic boats? and Nautiques refers to the newer boats?

The BFN is now listed on the For Sale portion of the site. I'll probably start wet sanding the hull this weekend.

Date Posted: February-03-2010 at 12:40pm

So another dumb question. Correct Craft refers to more of the classic boats? and Nautiques refers to the newer boats?

The BFN is now listed on the For Sale portion of the site. I'll probably start wet sanding the hull this weekend.

Yup - CorrectCraft began using the Nautiques name to advertise/Market their line more aggressively in the 90's. Same manufacturer but different marketing feel and swag. Some purests on this site really do not care for the Nautique branding used currently. It is a matter of taste, form and function..... they all are neat boats!

I'll get my wife to look in the for sale section!!

-------------
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: February-03-2010 at 1:00pm

Thanks for the info. I was hoping there was a bigger difference than 20 horse power. The numbering makes sense now. So a Ski Nautique 190 would be a 19 ft boat.

The model designation is a reference to the approximate length (not horsepower). No such thing as a Ski Nautique 190, but the 196 was approximately 19'6" (actually listed at 19'5.25" '07-09).

-------------

Date Posted: February-03-2010 at 1:47pm

Air 206,

If it helps, let your wife know that I would be willing to part with it for $2k. It is currently listed at $2500 obo / trade.

I need to start saving for my pro air or super sport

Date Posted: February-03-2010 at 2:05pm
Robert:

I have been keeping my eye out for a 94-95 Super Sport as a boat for my kids (and sister-in-law who lives down the lake). They are few and far between..... but the hunt is what is the fun........ buying just makes you work!

Steve

-------------
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: February-03-2010 at 3:18pm
Steve, Just and FYI. I believe 95 was the first year for Super Sports.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: February-03-2010 at 3:31pm
Yup... you are right. We had an Excel and we watched that morph into the Super Sport. Kinda remembered 94-95 was the transition; makes sense. We loved our Excel.... but I was encouraging the years without fir stringers for Robert. Be it Excel or Super Sport..... fine, comfy boats but not slalom machines.

-------------
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: February-03-2010 at 4:33pm

Robert:

I have been keeping my eye out for a 94-95 Super Sport as a boat for my kids (and sister-in-law who lives down the lake). They are few and far between..... but the hunt is what is the fun........ buying just makes you work!

Steve

Thats exactly why I am starting my hunt now! Should have my truck (Ford F-150) paid off by spring. So between that and selling the BFN and Supreme maybe I could convince the bank to give me a loan and move straight into a SAN!

Do the newer Nautiques still use Ford motors?

Date Posted: February-03-2010 at 4:41pm

Do the newer Nautiques still use Ford motors?

Nope, The Ford motors are no longer available for marinization.... changed happened several years ago (look in the brochure sections for powerplant options - 2003 Nautiques) Not sure exactly when the change happened b/c many Fords were in the PCM pipeline when Ford pulled out. Many boats still came with them after Chevy became the engine provider.

BTW - I LOVE my Chevy 6 liter in the Air!! Never thought I would go for a closed-cooled engine but it is soooo convenient for us.

-------------
78 SkiTiq

Date Posted: February-03-2010 at 5:12pm

Nope, The Ford motors are no longer available for marinization....

That settles it. I have to look for a Super Sport with a Ford now... Wish me luck...

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 12:42am
Do you guys consider it any kind of problem to buy a boat with a Ford engine considering they stopped marinizing them?

Would a good condition Ford powered boat with low hours be just as good as a Chevy powered one? I'm just thinking in terms of maintenance down the road. I think power wise, I'd be fine with either for my purposes.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 9:46am

Nope, The Ford motors are no longer available for marinization....

That settles it. I have to look for a Super Sport with a Ford now.

You could also dump the F150 and get a matching Chev P/U!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Do you guys consider it any kind of problem to buy a boat with a Ford engine considering they stopped marinizing them?

Would a good condition Ford powered boat with low hours be just as good as a Chevy powered one? I'm just thinking in terms of maintenance down the road.

Your concern is maintenance? Parts? Take a look at how many say pre 90 boats are here on CCfan - Both Chev and Ford. Doesn't seem to be a problem keeping them running compared to the newer ones. Infact, the newer ones sometimes seem to have even more issues. Plus, forget about doing anything to them yourself unless you go out and get hundreds in diagnostic equipment.

Engine age sometimes plays into getting parts but I'm talking about real old. So far, no problems for my 77, 64 and 54 but yes, my 1927 some parts can be a problem.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 11:17am
Thanks for your reply. I just asked because the newer, PCM Excalibur 330 Chevy powered Nautiques are way, way out of my price range still. I've heard that the Ford 351s are very robust though and if parts are still really easy, that's great

Posted By: emccallum
Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 11:56am
If you are just recreational wakeboarders and like to do some skiing, nothing hardcore, I would consider a mid to late 90's Air Nautique. You get DDrive, tower, no wood stringers, and you should be able to pick up a nice one for a decent price. Personally, we do a lot of skiing, so the 95 open bow fit the family perfect after we outgrew the 82SN. The way the 95 is built, I can see it lasting for a longtime! Wait, it already has!

Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Those words make me cringe!

I finally got my new boat! I went with a Martinique, Ford 351. Couldn't beat the price. It meets all of my requirements, Correct Craft, Open Bow, Ford Motor. Life is good.     

My friend has a Sport Nautique, so once it warms up I should be able to have a good comparison between the Marinique's and the Sport Nautiques.

Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 1:19pm

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Those words make me cringe!

Rob,
Are you a empolyee of Ford or one of it's suppliers?

We're stamping all of the Ford pickup frame parts for the 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton chassis for Tower automotive. Are you sure your Ford frame is good? I'd take a look under that pickup one of these days!! I cringe too!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 1:37pm
Pete,

I am not a Ford employee, I just come from a Ford family. My grandfather was a mechanic and my Dad is an engineer in the automotive/marine industry. Everyone in my family has always owned Ford vehicles.

My first car was a 1968 Mustang and most of my inboards have been the Ford 351's. So I am very familiar with that particular motor.

As for the truck, none of the Big 3 quiet make 'em like they used to. Cars and trucks have come to be almost disposable items.

Keep with the classics!

Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 3:16pm

I finally got my new boat! I went with a Martinique, Ford 351. Couldn't beat the price. It meets all of my requirements, Correct Craft, Open Bow, Ford Motor. Life is good.     

My friend has a Sport Nautique, so once it warms up I should be able to have a good comparison between the Marinique's and the Sport Nautiques.

Sweet- congrats! Post some pics of the new boat.

What did you end up doing with the BFN?

-------------

Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 3:30pm
Allison is approving the Diary for the Martinique now. I'll let you know when it is up.

I ended up selling the BFN for what I had into it. There was a lot of interest in the BFN project boat. It sold the day after I picked up the Martinique.

How's the '71 Skier project coming along?

Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 3:43pm
Cool. There is still a 87-88 BFN in my future... someday!

No progress on the Skier yet. Its still a shell up on blocks. Paint gets stripped this spring, along with new stringers and floor. We've got all the parts- just need the time to work on it.

The '79 BFN is in the garage and just about ready to accept the new structure. The material is in so hopefully we'll get it wrapped up by spring.

-------------

Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 5:40pm

There will most likely be another BFN in my future. I'll have to see how the Martinique works out for me. Maybe sell the Ski Supreme and use that towards a BFN. Or sell both and get a Super Sport or Super Air. Who knows.

Unfortunately I can't afford to have one of every model.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

We've got all the parts- just need the time to work on it.

This is the exact reason I was willing to let the BFN go for now. The Martinique and Ski Supreme are water ready.

Keep me updated on the progress of the boats. Hopefully they will be done by the next CCF Reunion

Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I just asked because the newer, PCM Excalibur 330 Chevy powered Nautiques are way, way out of my price range still. I've heard that the Ford 351s are very robust though and if parts are still really easy, that's great

Bri,

The Ford 351 was pretty much the standard motor up until the '90's. Both my Ski Supreme and Martinique both have the marinized Ford 351 with 230 hp. Plenty of power to tow one person. The other option at the time was a Chevy 454 with 330hp. This was an available option for several of the Correct Crafts at the time but was most often found in the Barefoot Nautiques and the Martiniques.

Try www.skidim.com to find parts for your 80's Nautiques.

Date Posted: March-02-2010 at 11:05pm
I want not go with anything else in a boat than a Ford motor.. I think there a better and more effecient motor than the Chevy's..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: March-03-2010 at 3:06am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Post some pics of the new boat.

Here's the new Diary Page.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5046

Posted By: davidg
Date Posted: March-04-2010 at 12:03am
Robert....Congrats on the Martinique. You will like it for its roominess and smooth ride. However, you better stock up on teak oil. Lots of teak in that boat. I had an '87 Martinique that had a 351. It was a good family hauler in the rough waters.

By the way, where in Indiana you from? What lake will you use the boat on? If you are near Chicago, come out for beers on the 10th (see Chicago Beers post in Off Topic section).

Date Posted: March-04-2010 at 10:43am
David,

Thanks! I'm excited about the new boat, and thanks for the invite. I live in Indianapolis and am usually at the Indiana Lakes. (Geist Reservoir, Morse Reservoir, Lake Maxincuckee, Lake Manitou, Lake Hamilton, Lake Wawasee).

Anyone else ever around those lakes?

-------------
Current: 1988 Sierra Supreme
Past: 1986 Correct Craft Martinique, 1984 Ski Supreme, 1984 Bare Foot Nautique

Date Posted: March-04-2010 at 11:10am

Here's the new Diary Page.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5046

Rob,
Just so you know, you can mouse over anyones avitar picture and clicking on it will link to their diary.

Also providing a link here on the CCfan site is somewhat more complicated than other sites. You need to first go to "post reply". Clicking on the world icon will bring up the decription you want on the link. Clicking ok brings up the second box. This is where you paste in the address.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5046 - here's your link to your diary

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: March-04-2010 at 1:53pm
you need to check out Monroe in Bloomington, about an hours drive from Indy and the largest reservoir in the state, we are always there memorial week-end to kick off the season.

Wawasee is good, Tippy is another good spot, we also hit mississinawa and salmonie

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: March-04-2010 at 4:19pm
Pete,

Thanks for the link info. Now I know how to add it to my signature!

Chris,
I've been meaning to make it down to Monroe. Mississinawa is great. I used to go to camp on Tippy! I'll keep an eye out for that '79 Nautique.

-------------

Date Posted: March-04-2010 at 4:55pm
well you better go to Angola and lake James to see it or you can stop over at the barn and kick back some coldies on the '80 i have if you want.

If your out Memorial week-end look for a 380 Nortech rafted up with some Sea-ray's, couple Fourwinds, a Powerplay and a couple Baja's, one old boy usually brings his Formula as well

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Date Posted: March-04-2010 at 7:20pm
Memorial is usually Lake Wawasee for Friday and Saturday then Lake Hamilton for Sunday and Monday.

I'm always up for a beer.

-------------

Date Posted: March-05-2010 at 1:21pm
do you have friends in syracuse that you stay with or rent something?

-------------

Posted By: davidg
Date Posted: March-05-2010 at 2:39pm

David,

Thanks! I'm excited about the new boat, and thanks for the invite. I live in Indianapolis and am usually at the Indiana Lakes. (Geist Reservoir, Morse Reservoir, Lake Maxincuckee, Lake Manitou, Lake Hamilton, Lake Wawasee).

Anyone else ever around those lakes?

Robert...I guess Indy is a bit of a haul to have beers in Chicago. I didn't know if you lived up north. I grew up in Fishers, and still have family, there, and all over Indy. I learned to ski on Morse waaayyy back in the day, as well as put many hours in out at Geist. I went to HSEHS which is very near Geist.    

Where abouts in Indy do you live?

Date Posted: March-05-2010 at 4:29pm
Chris,
When in Syracuse (Wawasee) I generally stay with friends from College. Several of my friend's families have lake houses on Wawasee.

David,
Getting to Chicago isn't bad its the drive home after having the beers.
I learnt to ski on Morse as well. My Uncle had a house on Morse when I was growing up and I had a condo until last year when the lease was up.

Now I live in Zionsville and have a slip at the Morse Marina. That way I can stop at Wolfie's for a cold one after a day on the lake.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window