Print Page | Close Window

Towing Capacity/Vehicle Help?

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Common Questions
Forum Discription: Visit here first for common questions regarding your Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16893
Printed Date: April-26-2024 at 2:36am

Topic: Towing Capacity/Vehicle Help?
Posted By: bnhbutts
Subject: Towing Capacity/Vehicle Help?
Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 2:47pm
Hey Everyone,

As I consider purchasing a ski nautique (1999), what kind of vehicle should I consider towing it? I have a 2002 Kia Sedona Minivan with towing capacity of 3500 lbs. with a class III hitch rated for 5500 pounds. Will the 195HP 3.6 ltr. V6 on this van be able to handle the tow? or should I consider a larger engine? Thanks for suggestions.

Bob

-------------
Bob B.

Replies:
Posted By: skicat2001
Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 3:40pm
Hey Bob,
I use for my 1985 Ski Nautique 2001, I have 2007 Chevy Silverdo with a 4.8 with the 390 rear end. I have no trouble towing my boat up most ramps steep or shallow ramps. My boat I think weights in the neighbor hood of 2,800-3,000 pds.
A 99 Nautique is heavier and the Kia probally will not be enough, escpically if the lake you go to has shallow or steep ramps. I would be looking at any extended cab truck or crew cab with a V8 will work.

My opionion, but I like to make sure I can get up any ramp. I put mine in 1st or 2nd gear and she just crawls up the ramp no probs or spin outs or anything. Get ya a truck tho..

Lee

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 3:58pm
I would be hesitant to tow with a minivan or anything else with a car based frame and FWD... but the towing capacity on the Sedona looks pretty good. The Cleveland area is pretty flat, so you may be ok. Im one who strongly prefers 4WD on the ramp, but I know many do without it. If you decide to go for it, do get the Class III hitch.

That being said, if youre shopping for a new vehicle, Id look for something built to tow- especially if youre going to go far distances or are planning to tow more than a few times a year. A small or midsize SUV would be plenty for that '99, which should weigh in the neighborhood of 3500lbs with the trailer. Something along the lines of a Pathfinder/Grand Cherokee/etc would be fine (I have a V8 4Runner). No need to go full size truck or SUV unless you need the room for the family.

-------------

Posted By: 82wake2001
Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 4:23pm
BN you are in the Cleveland area...we boat Portage LAkes/berlin/Milton in the summer...Where about are you?

-------------
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"

Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 4:50pm
Joe - I'm in the Eastern Subs...I would go to West Branch - most likely, but we annually go to the Adirondacks to Lake Pleasant north of Utica.

-------------
Bob B.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would be hesitant to tow with a minivan or anything else with a car based frame and FWD... but the towing capacity on the Sedona looks pretty good. The Cleveland area is pretty flat, so you may be ok. Im one who strongly prefers 4WD on the ramp, but I know many do without it. If you decide to go for it, do get the Class III hitch.

That being said, if youre shopping for a new vehicle, Id look for something built to tow- especially if youre going to go far distances or are planning to tow more than a few times a year. A small or midsize SUV would be plenty for that '99, which should weigh in the neighborhood of 3500lbs with the trailer. Something along the lines of a Pathfinder/Grand Cherokee/etc would be fine (I have a V8 4Runner). No need to go full size truck or SUV unless you need the room for the family.

I totaly agree with Tim on this. There is no need to go full size as long as the tow vehicle is rated and equiped for the trailer weigh. I put on many a mile pulling trailers that weighed more than my 4 cyl. Land Rover series III 88 and never had a problem but certaily can appreciate a vehicle a little larger! Some of those passes I went over in Montana pulling a trailer needed 1st gear or if lucky maybe 2nd

At the ramp? 4wd is nice but depends on how nice the ramp is too plus the angle.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 6:29pm
Pete - I found a Land Rover Discovery - 2003 for sale, but I've heard so many negative things about repairs and the costs of those repairs that it makes me shy away.

Tim: I suppose an 2005 Acura MDX 4x4 would foot the bill too. Thoughts?

-------------
Bob B.

Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 6:37pm
The MDX is a car based SUV, so I wouldnt say its built to tow either. It would be better than a Sedona, but not much.

I love the look of the Discos, but I too have heard they were reliability nightmares. If a midsize SUV fits your family, then Id be looking at a 2003+ 4Runner, 2005+ Pathfinder, or jump up to a few year old full size (Expedition, Tahoe, Sequoia, Armada). FWIW, I love my V8 4Runner ('07).

-------------

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by bnhbutts bnhbutts wrote:

Pete - I found a Land Rover Discovery - 2003 for sale, but I've heard so many negative things about repairs and the costs of those repairs that it makes me shy away.

Don't buy a Disco. I love them and hate them at the same time. 2003 was the best year for them because they inherited the Range Rover powerplant as well as many other good updates for that year but the car is still an absolute joke reliability and maintenance-wise, not to mention absolutely abysmal with gas mileage.

MDX is a unibody vehicle rather than body-on-frame. Plus, it's my personal opinion based on field research that most Acura drivers are total a-holes . I'd pass on that vehicle for sure.

I wouldn't discount the 3rd-gen 4Runners although they are starting to get old. The newest one of those is a 2002 MY, which is already 8 years ago.

Whatever car you end up with, even towing with the minivan, add a trans cooler. Slushbox trans temps go through the roof while towing loads and heat kills them.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 7:29pm
GMC Envoy? or Ford Explorer? Would either of these types work well?

-------------
Bob B.

Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 7:39pm
^^ Probably. Can't stand looking at the Envoy GMT360 platform in any of its 500 million variants but it'll probably do the job just fine. The Explorer seems like it's come a long way in the later models, but I don't know much about it. Not a bad looking car.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 7:52pm
Thanks for all of the input people. It is helpful.

-------------
Bob B.

Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 8:21pm
People any thoughts on the Honda Ridgeline? I am guessing that any pickup type vehicle with a V6 or larger is gonna be good for towing. But I could be wrong.

-------------
Bob B.

Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 8:25pm
Youre correct... sort of. I would say any truck or pickup with a V6 or larger would be fine. The Ridgeline is certainly toeing the line of "pickup type vehicle" though. Like the MDX and Pilot, its based off a FWD car (Accord) platform. It might do the job, but not as well as a true truck or truck based SUV.

I stand by my recommendations above.

-------------

Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 8:30pm

Bob,
The Land Rover series III was a 1970. That was way before Ford took over the company!!! Go at it Ford lovers!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-24-2010 at 11:07pm
What about a Dodge Durango - 2004?

-------------
Bob B.

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:05am
Durango will do the job. I'd think carefully first. My brothers 2 wheel drive Durango got poorer mileage than my 4WD Suburban. The Suburban is a far better tow vehicle, and obviously has a lot more room. BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Posted By: 86BFN
Date Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:09am
Suburbans and Tahoes are plentyfull are more reasonably priced IMO.

-------------
👣 Steve
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4057&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1986&yrend=1986" rel="nofollow - 86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG

Posted By: Keuka
Date Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:21am
I've seen many a boat towed with a Durango. You should be fine with that, especially with the V8 model. I believe it's basically a Dakota chassis. Personally I have a Suburban. I waited a long time to get it but I couldn't ask for a better tow vehicle.

David

-------------
86 Martinique

Posted By: SN206
Date Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:26am
Has anyone asked if the trailer has brakes? Pulling the boat is one thing. I've actually seen a Harley pull a Malibu a mile or so, but stopping the boat is a whole nother ( and I think more important) thing. In college we pulled the team boat with an S-10 from time to time, but we got pushed through an intersection more than once.

-------------
...those who have fallen and those who will.

Posted By: lfskizzer
Date Posted: March-25-2010 at 12:49am
Def look into Tim's 4 runner, Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado.

Trucks I have had S10 v6 sucked gas like no tomorrow towing my snowmobile trailer, then I upgraded to a Silverado 5.3 liter same thing on the snowmobile trailer plus the transmission was shifting all over the place even in tow mode, I upgraded to my newest truck a year and half ago a 2500HD Duramax, 6th gear all the way back and forth from CT to Lake George and 17MPG doing 65MPH towing my 206. I wish I could hitch up both boats at the same time lol when I go up for July vacation to LG and the Reunion TBD(sept I am assuming)

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4457 - 2008 Ski Nautique 206
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2683 - 1985 Ski Nautique 2001 Series

Posted By: jwchapman
Date Posted: March-25-2010 at 1:32pm
I have a 2000 Durango (V8-4WD) and it tows my 91 Sport with no problems at all. It does get terrible mileage but on the plus side, the mileage is pretty much the same when towing the boat as when driving around without it. The Durango is built on the Dakota chasis and while great for towing and hauling stuff, it rides a lot rougher than some of the newer trucks and cross-overs.

-------------
1991 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: March-25-2010 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by jwchapman jwchapman wrote:

The Durango is built on the Dakota chasis and while great for towing and hauling stuff, it rides a lot rougher than some of the newer trucks and cross-overs.

Leaf springs in back probably don't help in this regard.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: Randy_in_Ohio
Date Posted: March-25-2010 at 7:10pm

Joe - I'm in the Eastern Subs...I would go to West Branch - most likely, but we annually go to the Adirondacks to Lake Pleasant north of Utica.

NE Ohio checking in....

I still have never been to West Branch with my boat I need to get up there this year.... We go go to Berlin, Salt Fork, and occasionally Portage Lakes (only because it is right up the road).

I tow with an '07 Tundra 5.7L Double Cab, and love it.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1602&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995" rel="nofollow - 1993 Sport Nautique

Posted By: newoldboat
Date Posted: March-26-2010 at 12:47am
Only one way to find out! I don't know about up north but here in florida no matter what happens there is always someone else at the boat ramp that will make you look good by making a total ass of themselves. It takes me about four minutes to load my boat and get out of the way but I always have to wait 20 minutes for some dumbass to load thier jet ski. I guess thats the price we pay to live here. I guess if the fwd won't pull it up the ramp you can get someone to pull you out and then you'll know.

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: March-26-2010 at 1:08am
I tow my skinautique with a dodge dakota v6 175 horspower. The truck has 165000 miles on it with the original fuel injectors. This little truck would pull a house up the ramp in four low but is getting very weak when towing at highway speeds. Brakes are another issue. I am looking to add trailer brakes to add confidence. The ridglines 250 hp v6 would probaly perform better.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-26-2010 at 1:16am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Durango will do the job. I'd think carefully first. My brothers 2 wheel drive Durango got poorer mileage than my 4WD Suburban. The Suburban is a far better tow vehicle, and obviously has a lot more room. BKH

Suburban, now thats a "Beast".. Good choice, I wish I could find one in the mid 80's or later.. Big 350 motor, animals..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: March-26-2010 at 1:20am
Dave,
Nice Nautique! Very nice..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Date Posted: March-26-2010 at 4:07am
Thanks but my Signature line says it all, Photos well but not close up. It sure is fun though.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: The Godfather
Date Posted: March-26-2010 at 9:46am

Visit:    trailerboats.com

Posted By: QUEBEC
Date Posted: March-26-2010 at 10:31am
Talk about sucking gas, my land rover gets 10 to 12 mpg.But will go up over and through anything in it's way and tow pretty good to.

-------------
NEVER EVER GIVE UP ON YOUR SELF YOUR FAMILY YOUR FRIENDS AND GOD THERE ALWAYS A NEW DAY

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: March-26-2010 at 10:49am

with a class III hitch rated for 5500 pounds.

Bob - Are you sure about the 5500#? I don't have time to look it up right now, bit I am pretty sure a class 3 hitch is rated for 3500#. Your boat may even exceed that depending on what you throw in it during towing.

I towed our 89SN (2001 Model) with a minivan & class 3 hitch - the hitch would flex excessively & cause a 'chucking action' with the trailer brakes whenever I hit a bump - not tolerable - bought a truck as the solution to this problem. Tows great now.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: March-26-2010 at 11:53am
Chris,
The class III hitch is nominally rated at 5000lbs with a tongue weight max of 500. I don't know where the extra 500 comes from??

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 82wake2001
Date Posted: March-26-2010 at 1:37pm
I pull with a 2004 Pacifica..keep in mind North East Ohio is flat for the most part......all I have to say is bravo for the odnr for putting angles slits in all of the new ramps....

-------------
Joe
1982 ski nautique 2001
"Lady of the Wake"

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: March-26-2010 at 8:08pm
Thanks Pete for the correction- I was thinking of class II. I am suprised you can even get a class 3 hitch for a minivan.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: mdvalant
Date Posted: March-31-2010 at 5:27pm
Our lead boat driver for our show ski team here in iowa pulls his triple rig with his toyota sienna. His previous tow vehicle was the chevy lumina mini van...interesting choices. He claims he can get 26 mpg with the mini vans? ya...

Triple rig:
3 150HP evinrude etecs = 1,200lbs +/-
3 batteries = 180lbs +/-
40 gallon fuel tank = 300 lbs +/-
Duel axle trailer = 1,500lbs?
Added weight in front under bow to keep it down on the water = 900 lbs
20 ft hyrdodyne = 1,500 lbs?

Total = Heavy ass boat!

Posted By: Toigs325
Date Posted: April-01-2010 at 4:23pm
How about a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Chevy Colorado Crew Cab. Both of those would work. I have a regular cab, 4x4 colorado with the 3.5L I5 and it pulls my 196 and Mustang no problem. If you are worried about the Sedona then slap some air bags in the back or heavier leaf springs, that would help...and make sure the breaks are in good shape.

-------------
2003 Ski Nautique 196 SE
1966 Correct Craft Mustang

Date Posted: April-05-2010 at 2:32am
Is this a matter of V8 vs. V6? or will a Ford Explorer Sport Trac V6 work?

-------------
Bob B.

Date Posted: April-05-2010 at 4:34am
In my opinion Horse Power is a better measure than the number of cylinders. The Honda 250 HP v6 is awesome. My Dakotas 175 HP v6 is a little weak. I am not sure what is in the ford but it should have the chassis and brakes and possibly all wheel drive to keep you out of trouble. I quess if the vehicles horse power matches that of the boat in tow you should be fine.

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: bkhallpass
Date Posted: April-05-2010 at 2:34pm
Unfortunately, you are asking a simple question, which I am afraid does not have a simple answer. There are numerous questions which go into whether a vehicle will be "good" or "adequate" as a tow vehicle.

Horsepower is only one factor. A lot of small 4 and 6 cylinder motors have lots of horse power, but they aren't designed to pull big loads. The engines and transmissions have to work hard to pull the loads. Can they do it, probably. Will you put more wear and tear on the vehicle, probably.

I don't think anyone would dispute that in general, higher vehicle weight, more cylinders, more horsepower, beefier transmissions, lower gearing, longer wheelbase, beefier suspensions, and beefier brakes make for "better" tow vehicles.

The question really becomes, how much is enough. There are guys in Europe pulling boats with 4 and six cylinder station wagons. Necessity is the mother of invention. There are guys in the U.S. pulling 12 foot aluminum fishing boats with F350 diesels - overkill.

Based on your questions you seem to want to steer away from a full sized V-8, and instead are looking at mid sized 6 cyclinder vehicles.
In my opinion, the best thing to do in that case, is to ask around and see what kind of success folks have had with the vehicle as a tow vehicle, and go from there. Find out if and how they have augmented the transmission cooling, suspensions, etc. Find out what kind of terrain they were pulling on when they deemed the vehicle adequate as a tow vehicle. I wouldn't trust the auto salesman.

Personally, I don't have any experience with the explorer pickup. I've seen boats successfully towed with Chevy and Chrysler minivans, 6 cylinder Toyotas, 6 cylinder explorers, 6 cylinder Dakotas.

As I said in an early post, I have a 2000 Yukon XL (suburban). It has only the 5.3L (327 cu. inch engine). It has lots of room for passengers and gear. It gets 15 mpg around town, 18 mpg on the highway with no trailer. When I tow the boat, I get about 13 mpg when I drive a reasonable speed. I towed the boat from California to Wisconsin, across the Sierra Nevadas and Rocky Mountains and across the desert. I averaged in excess of 70 mph and got about 11 mpg under these tough conditions. The Burb now has 165K miles on it and is still going strong. I have found it to be a more than adequate tow vehicle.

BKH

-------------
Livin' the Dream

Date Posted: April-05-2010 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

In my opinion Horse Power is a better measure than the number of cylinders.

Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

Horsepower is only one factor. A lot of small 4 and 6 cylinder motors have lots of horse power, but they aren't designed to pull big loads. The engines and transmissions have to work hard to pull the loads. Can they do it, probably. Will you put more wear and tear on the vehicle, probably. BKH

Torque would be a better measure of determining the needs of a tow vehicle. You can have a realatively small displacement engine that has plenty of HP but at what RPM. You don't what to have to drive down the highway in a lower gear just because to don't have the torque!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-05-2010 at 6:49pm
So how much torque is enough to pull a nautique/or super sport nautique?

-------------
Bob B.

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: April-05-2010 at 7:16pm
The most simple way I heard it put was;

To safely launch,pull, and stop I need as much in the front as I have behind. There is more to the package than just motor size.Braking and suspension play equal parts.
If you stray from these guide lines you will give up one or more of the three.
Stopping being the most important...........SN are not light boats

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: April-05-2010 at 7:21pm
I pull the '90 SN with my '97 Ford Explorer with the 5.0 in it. Get's a little sketchy if you need to stop really really fast since it does have little breaks, but it does a pretty good job. Has the towing package so that helps...

You can pick one of those up for pretty cheap...

Posted By: jo-e90
Date Posted: March-18-2012 at 9:58pm
mdvalent: I sent you a PM

Posted By: jo-e90
Date Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

Our lead boat driver for our show ski team here in iowa pulls his triple rig with his toyota sienna. His previous tow vehicle was the chevy lumina mini van...interesting choices. He claims he can get 26 mpg with the mini vans? ya...

Triple rig:

3 150HP evinrude etecs = 1,200lbs +/-

3 batteries = 180lbs +/-

40 gallon fuel tank = 300 lbs +/-

Duel axle trailer = 1,500lbs?

Added weight in front under bow to keep it down on the water = 900 lbs

20 ft hyrdodyne = 1,500 lbs?

Total = Heavy ass boat!

Do you have his #?
Did he use HDW or Air bags?
What type hitch?

Date Posted: March-19-2012 at 12:56pm
bahaha sorry holy cow this is old. Ok It's coming back to me now...let me get back to you in a jiffy.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5009 - '90 Ski (sold)
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5479 - '00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: March-20-2012 at 12:53am
Not sure what a SN weighs but hauling a 74 Southwind with a 2007 Honda AWD Pilot is just fine; fairly effortless on the ramp, and on the road you can almost forget it's back there.   

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: March-30-2012 at 1:48pm
Best Value Tow Vehicle: Jeep Liberty:

I long ago stumbled across the Jeep Liberty, it is a great value; price verses mission. Typically entry level 4WD is right around $22k NEW. They weigh in at about 4000 lbs, heavier then they look, so as BoatDr indicates you have a substantial amount up front. It's rated for towing at 5000lbs, and 500 lbs at the tongue. Its 3.7l V6 puts out 235 ft-lbs of torque and 210 HP. I see about 20 mpg (hiway) about 10 mpg with the trailer. I know Alan (81Nautique) has pulled his 81 with the Liberty as well. I have had two of these, drove the first one almost 200k miles and the air conditioner went bad, the fix was more then the car was worth.

Now having said all that it does look a little funny pulling the Sport Nautique:

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: oldcuda
Date Posted: March-30-2012 at 7:39pm
I was towing the cuda with a Lincoln and it did a decent job but when I bought the Resorter I was not too comfy on the highway so I started looking for pickup or SUV.I was never happy with power with the 01 gmc p/u I had before that. Sollution 94-96 Buick Roadmaster with factory tow package.The last three years of production they were equipped with 260hp-335lb ft of torque LT1 corvette inspired V8.They have huge swawbars H/D cooling,posi and get unbelievable fuel milage.6000 lb towing cap and if you can find a nice wagon you will never want for comfort or storage.My last trip to New Hampshire last fall I got 19-20 mpg towing 3000 lbs and barely knew it was there.The LT1 roadmasters kind of have a cult following the power and reliability are top notch.When you are done laughing go on line and check them out maybe find one in classified section and test drive one you won't believe the power.Just make sure it is 94-96 towpac model with the mechanical fan and H/D susp.

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: March-30-2012 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Steve I forgot that you towed with a Liberty. Mine has always pulled the 81 with ease but the new 200v is heavy. Around town no problem but trying to hold speed on long highway inclines is a bit of work for it.

Stopping the rig with 8 wheels of disk brakes is a dream though. I also thought I was going to have to put in some air bag helpers in the rear but we dropped the trailer on and the truck barely moved and still rides nice and level.

So it's a pretty good tow vehicle for the flats out here but I just don't know yet how it would do if we get to travel down to Nashville this spring, I'm afraid those hills would burn it out.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: March-30-2012 at 8:11pm
The suspension modification are available, easy, and affordable for the B/D bodies. If you want to get serious and tow your G23 there are off the shelf limo/hearse parts to bump that number up to 10k+. My Fleetwood Brougham has all the basic tow-package stuff except the mechanical fan, but it has 2 electrics. Unfortunately posi wasn't an option on the Cadillacs.

Took the air shocks and silly little springs out for the HD wagon variable rate springs and yellow Monroes. She still has her 500# of winter ballast onboard here.

-------------

Date Posted: March-30-2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Steve I forgot that you towed with a Liberty.

Stopping the rig with 8 wheels of disk brakes is a dream though. I also thought I was going to have to put in some air bag helpers in the rear

I'm afraid those hills would burn it out.

Ok, so I have to come clean, I also own a Suburban, for the long trips, that is the vehicle of choice. The liberty gets used for short hauls around town and occasionally I will use it for a guys ski trip up to Green Lake area.

Definitely appreciate the disc brakes on the trailer, that is a treat. The suburban has the air bags too, it is really nice to watch that thing self level, when we load it up with all the girls clothes and the dog and the trailer.

I concur on long hills (there are a few on the trip to GL and some pretty big ones down near Dubuque) it does slow the Liberty down considerably. Regular trips up and down Mountains could be troublesome...

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:21pm
Not the best from a seating capacity standpoint, but it'll get to the lake in a hurry!

-------------

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: March-30-2012 at 9:44pm
I am having trouble with that hitch. Was that factory installed? A 5500lbs hitch on a vehicle rated for 3500lbs is kinda overkill.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-30-2012 at 10:21pm
Forget the roadmaster, lets see some photos of the Resorter!

Date Posted: March-30-2012 at 11:52pm

Date Posted: March-31-2012 at 12:13am

Date Posted: March-31-2012 at 12:35am
Nice boat! what year? I've also got a 75 Mark II. Too bad there's no CenturyFan site like the great CCFan, eh?

Date Posted: March-31-2012 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Keuka Keuka wrote:

I've seen many a boat towed with a Durango. You should be fine with that, especially with the V8 model. I believe it's basically a Dakota chassis. Personally I have a Suburban. I waited a long time to get it but I couldn't ask for a better tow vehicle.

David

Hey Keuka! Small world! My family's been on west bluff for 8 generations, my brother (72 Southwind) lives up near the park, and my mother lives by the college. How long you been around Keuka?

Date Posted: March-31-2012 at 1:03am
Originally posted by oldcuda oldcuda wrote:

Sollution 94-96 Buick Roadmaster

I am not questioning its abilities, but I will need at least another 30 years of age to consider this vehicle.

I can picture the conversation upon arriving home with one of those, "I thought we agreed on the sports wagon thing", "No honey, if your going to take the whole clan cross country you need the family truckster!"

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-31-2012 at 1:11am
It's an 85,I hear ya on the Century site but at least we have someplace to go that's not anti-Century.It's getting repowered with 454 should be done in a few weeks.Can't wait

Date Posted: March-31-2012 at 9:22am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

Not the best from a seating capacity standpoint, but it'll get to the lake in a hurry!

Did somebody get some new wheels???

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: April-01-2012 at 7:47pm
Am I the only one that sees a resemblance?

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: P71_CrownVic
Date Posted: April-01-2012 at 10:11pm
All I see is three portholes on a car that, if you insist on doing port holes, should have 4.

-------------

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: April-02-2012 at 1:53am

I long ago stumbled across the Jeep Liberty, it is a great value; price verses mission. Typically entry level 4WD is right around $22k NEW. They weigh in at about 4000 lbs, heavier then they look, so as BoatDr indicates you have a substantial amount up front. It's rated for towing at 5000lbs, and 500 lbs at the tongue. Its 3.7l V6 puts out 235 ft-lbs of torque and 210 HP. I see about 20 mpg (hiway) about 10 mpg with the trailer. I know Alan (81Nautique) has pulled his 81 with the Liberty as well. I have had two of these, drove the first one almost 200k miles and the air conditioner went bad, the fix was more then the car was worth.

I've got an '06 Liberty CRD, great little tow machine, 190 HP and 335 ft.-lb. torque with the 4 cylinder 2.8 diesel. Weighs around 4,400, a bit more than the gas version. A 4,000 lb. load is a breeze to tow with it. 27 mpg mixed summer, 24 winter, can get over 30 mpg all highway. Not sure of the towing mileage, I haven't towed enough long distance to get an accurate read on it.

I won't go into it more, was advised in another thread that these tend to fail at some point so don't want to recommend it and have someone end up with problems. I've got 108,000 miles on it and it runs great so far.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Posted By: politicallycorrect
Date Posted: April-02-2012 at 1:26pm

I own a 99 range rover. It shares a lot of parts with the discovery. Good solid heavy tow vehicle. But whoever is telling you stories about repairs are not lying! Electrical problems up the wazoo and replacement parts aren't cheap!!

-------------
Skin grows back...fiberglass doesn't!!

Date Posted: April-09-2012 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I've got an '06 Liberty CRD, great little tow machine, 190 HP and 335 ft.-lb. torque with the 4 cylinder 2.8 diesel. Weighs around 4,400, a bit more than the gas version. A 4,000 lb. load is a breeze to tow with it. 27 mpg mixed summer, 24 winter, can get over 30 mpg all highway. Not sure of the towing mileage, I haven't towed enough long distance to get an accurate read on it.

I won't go into it more, was advised in another thread that these tend to fail at some point so don't want to recommend it and have someone end up with problems. I've got 108,000 miles on it and it runs great so far.

I pulled the 200 sport (4500 lbs)about 78 miles yesterday with the Liberty, actually did pretty good except for one direction was heading into about a 25 mph head wind. We had the Z5 bimini up and must have been like a big sail. I have a scan Gauge in the jeep and we got 11.1 into the wind and 13.4 with the tail wind. I guess if we average 12 mpg I would be happy that. Long highway hauls are still going to be a bit much for this vehicle though.

-------------

Posted By: sweet77
Date Posted: April-15-2012 at 4:29am

That is your best bet right there.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5528&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t

Posted By: sweet77
Date Posted: April-15-2012 at 4:31am

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5528&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 5:58pm

What do you Liberty guys think of end of the old Liberty and the coming of the new Liberty(or Cherokee)?

I've been eying a slowly shrinking supply (about 7) of brand new locally available 2012 Libertys with all the factory tow stuff:
Hitch
Wiring
Anti Sway
Heavy Engine Cooling
Power steering Cooler

They unfortunately have a bunch of expensive extras like leather and info-tanement stuff that I don't really need. They've dropped from 29kish to around 23k.

I'm on the fence, cause it looks like the new model coming towards the summer will be car based, so it will likely be less tow capable.

At the same time, it's supposed to get much better mileage, and be better in most other ways, so that may really kill the values of the 2008-2012 generation.

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 7:02pm
Brian, I have been in lots of Liberties and Nitros(service advisor at two Chrysler dealers and my dad was a Chrysler service manager). I'm die hard Mopar but I hate the 3.7. My mom bought a bran new Nitro in 07. They are great in snow and great if you don't mind a noisy under powered 6 cylinder and don't want to get anywhere in a hurry. It impressed me how well it handled the boat from a suspension and driving standpoint. Brakes were great. The engine is the sore point. The interior and associated pieces i.e. Radio etc. are wonderful on the 2011- Chryslers of any sort. That 07 my mom had averaged 15-16 mpg in town and got between 20-22 highway depending on wind. Never towed anywhere with it besides to the ramp and the house so I dont have highway data for you. I assume it would require to be driven in tow haul mode to prevent it from going in and out of over drive. We alwas get the trucks out for the long ride home in spring and fall.

One of my close friends bought one reecently (2012) who is a notorious speed demon. He had a kid and wanted better economy than his 07 Hemi GC. I thought he would hate the engine but he says he doesn't mind so far.

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 7:14pm
I'm a fan of my Liberty because it's a diesel, tows really well. I saw up above that I posted in April wiht 108,000 miles, now have about 126,000, still running very well.

I know a few people commented on the gas Liberty, and I'm pretty sure the tow rating is 5,000 lbs., but for any distance I don't know that you'd be happy towing with the 3.7 engine. I'm with Zach, it's just not an engine that I find enjoyable to drive, kind of noisy and lacking power, seems like there should be more bang from a 3.7 liter engine. Just my opinion from driving a few of them, I've never owned a 3.7.

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 7:32pm
David, As a fellow 3.7 disliker haha you would be amazed with the 3.6 as opposed to the 3.7. Great and I mean Great fuel economy in a full size suv. 2012 GC. My roomate regularly sees 25-26mpg highway on trips to Chi town. I'm not sure what he averages for a work week around town. To top it all off it more than gets out of it's own way and quietly to boot! I would tow my boat most anywhere with that 3.6 other than in very steep mountain areas.

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 7:38pm
Only a little OT, but sort of in the same family... anyone else see that the diesel option returns on the '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee? 3.0L TDI, 240hp and 420lb-ft. 20/28mpg on the 4x4, tow rating of 7400 lbs. Those are some impressive numbers.

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Only a little OT, but sort of in the same family... anyone else see that the diesel option returns on the '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee? 3.0L TDI, 240hp and 420lb-ft. 20/28mpg on the 4x4, tow rating of 7400 lbs. Those are some impressive numbers.

My brother has been following that one closely. It sounds like it's going to be awesome. I guess you have to get one of the upper level trims to get the diesel, but still very cool.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 7:56pm
Wtf is up with the fuel mileage killing awd though?

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 7:58pm
You are right Tim. The previous GC diesel was a good option. I've not heard who the manufacturer will be for the new motor(have not took the time to look could ask my uncle). I would love to see one or take one for a spin. Both the previous GC and Liberty were hot rods when matched even with the 4.7 v8.

The diesel Liberty either runs like a top or has more problems than you would ever expect. We had multiple that couldn't be fixed at dealers. Chrysler was invloved in all of these and nothing could be done after months or working on them. David, all I can tell you about your Liberty after seeing the insides of many is open that sucker up, get it hot, and make it work to get the soot out! Egr valves are the devil on diesel applications. EPA says: Sure lets pipe soot back through the intake system of turbo diesel engine....... nice idea.

If they offered a diesel option in a half ton like my truck I would be very interested in a test drive and possible purchase.

-------------

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 8:10pm
I looked at the new Jeep Cherokee in Australia when that new diesel was released about 12 months ago. Previously they were using a Mercedes diesel engine which was a good engine. The new engine is built by a Fiat based company VM Motori (177kW and 550Nm same specs as Tr mentioned but metric) it still used the old 5 speed auto. The auto is due for an update which is supposed to happen either late this year or early 2014.

I was most impressed by the test drive the engine was easily best in class for similar vehicles in Australia but in the end decided to wait for the better auto and to see if the new engine had any reliability issues.

The only thing that worries me about these new high tech diesels is service costs and reliability issues out of warranty. The turbos and high pressure diesel pumps are very expensive items.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 8:15pm
Good points Lewy, those things would scare me too. Sounds like Oz will have a longer history for these diesels, so let us know how they hold up!

The US JGC looks to be getting a new 8sp auto on all models for '14.

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 8:18pm
after a season of use with our 08 liberty 3.7 towing the 200 sport (4500 lbs) I will say the Liberty can get the job done but I would not recommend it. I use it because it's what we have right now but it will be replaced in the not too distant future.

Surprisingly it gets between 13-14 mpg towing as long as I stay below 60 and that's in the flatlands. If I get in any terrain it really has to work and I don't think I want to push it that hard.

Suspension and braking wise the Liberty handles the big boat fine just doesn't have the balls to be a long haul option.

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 8:56pm
I'm very interested in the diesel JGC, am following it closely. I have a feeling the sticker shock will scare me away, but so far I haven't seen pricing. With the power numbers and the 8 speed I have a feeling it will be an awesome vehicle. I've looked at buying a used '07 or '08 JGC diesel but after reading a ton of comments I'm not sure the engine/tranny mating was very good, lots of people commented that the highway rpm's were 2,600-2,800, kind of ridiculous in a diesel with lots of torque and made for a noisy ride with less than stellar mileage. My Liberty turns 2,200 at 73 mph, quiet and smooth.

Zach, I've got an aftermarket tune and transmission controller, the EGR is defeated, I clean the MAF sensor regularly, so I'm up on the common problems with the Liberty diesel. I know it's prone to issues but feel I've gotten my money's worth out of it and will run it till I find something I like better or until it dies, and I'll keep you posted on which happens first!

Just because I don't have enough projects (can't keep up with any of them at this point!) I'm looking at a 1993 Chevy 6.5 diesel dually club cab with plow, tranny is shot but my friend and I have a lot of 6.5 experience so I may buy it as a project tow/plow vehicle.

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 9:36pm
Nice my uncle has an old plow rig 6.5 that runs good after a new injection and lift pump. I'm glad you know all about the diesel liberty. I was thinking like the posts above and I picked up my gas truck due to the good economy of the new hemi. It gets the same average mileage as a unloaded dodge diesel and the fuel and maintenance is cheaper. Clearly it doesn't do quite as well towing mpg but with my less than 6 minute commute to work and anything else in town I need a diesel was not a good option. Diesels are great but when they break it costs lots more to fix. My weekly commute isn't what you would call ideal operating conditions for an hd Diesel engine.

Chrysler has never quite had it together with their v6 engines. I thought they would have learned from the 318 to 3.9. They chopped two cylinders off a good performing v8 made a under powered engine that had lots of inherent harmonic problems. This caused lots of problems especially with the timing sets. Made them stretch alot and make noise. It also made for a very noisy and not smooth running engine. They did the same exact thing with the 4.7 and 3.7. Terrible performer, bad vibrations,, and timing set problems due to stretching. All the oil galleys the 2.7,3.7, and 4.7 engines were to small by design. If normal service intervals are not observed especially with Dino non synthetic it creates lots of oil flow issues. 08 marked the requirement of semi synthetic. Anyways that's my Chrysler 6 cylinder rant.

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 9:47pm
All good points Zach. I was a fan of the 4.7 I had in my '01 Durango, really a nice engine though not as economical as it should have been. As for the Chrysler V6 comment, I couldn't agree more. The 4.0 straight six was a really nice engine, I enjoyed it in 3 Jeeps. I would never go for the V6 that replaced it, just a dog. I also meant to say, I test drove a 2012 3.6 Durango and was very impressed, would likely go for that engine over the hemi if I had to choose.

I'm partial to diesels partly because I just like the tech, partly because I like the economy, and partly because of career, I'm involved in a renewable diesel fuel company. So, I'm trying to find my next diesel SUV but if the Liberty keeps running well I might just run it another year, no payment and good mileage mean low cost to run!

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 10:49pm
Believe me David, if I could justify a diesel truck you'd see me in one every day. I've loved every cummins powered dodge we've owned. I miss one a lot in particular.

As you stated above Chrysler built two of the most durable overhead valve inline six cylinders ever made. Slant 6 225 and the 4.0 Liter. The only way you can kill a 4.0 is to not change the oil and just keep adding it until it turns the oil pan into a solid piece of sludge haha. I would like to drive a hemi vs a new diesel gc. Maybe I'll go fake car shopping haha.

You say renewable diesel. I see diesel being the propulsion of choice for vehicles in the future because of the easier outlets for renewable fuel and clearly the economy.

-------------

Date Posted: January-23-2013 at 11:57pm
Add the Ford 300 straight six to the list. The inline six was a great lower power option for a lot of vehicles, decent power, excellent torque, and bulletproof design. I don't know if we'll ever see another inline 6 in a passenger car, SUV, or light truck.

Diesel has a lot going for it, but renewable diesel has some serious challenges. Biodiesel can't exist without subsidies, and with CNG coming on the market at great prices we'll see a CNG infrastructure begin to build out and more CNG options in trucks particularly, cars over time. So, I don't see a rosy future for renewable diesel, sad to say.

-------------

Date Posted: January-24-2013 at 12:04am
I'm thinking that maybe my best bet is to wait for the newer 3.6 Pentastar JGCs come down a bit in price. I do like the size of the Liberty, I have an 06 KJ body Liberty. And, it's great in the snow, parks easy in the city, is ok/adequate for the amount of towing I do. It's just getting up there in mileage. Agree, the 3.7 V6 is no Rolls Royce on smoothness or power.

After seeing NYNautique tow a San Juan a great distance pretty easily with a Nissan Frontier, that's definitely on my radar for capable trucks that aren't overly huge.

One cool truck the Australians get that we don't get it the newer style Ford Ranger (the reviewer aint bad either ):

I also found this to be an interesting article on non-full size tow vehicles. The 5,000 plus rigs are towards the bottom. Of those, it also seems the previous gen Pathfinders are a good bargain. I'm seeing many of them with low mileage at pretty reasonable prices.
http://www.rvmagonline.com/features/1008rv-top-15-light-duty-tow-vehicles/viewall.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.rvmagonline.com/features/1008rv-top-15-light-duty-tow-vehicles/viewall.html

Date Posted: January-24-2013 at 12:58am
Originally posted by sweet77 sweet77 wrote:

That is your best bet right there.

+1 on the Pilot. We've got a 2008 AWD which tows the Southwind so well you can forget it's back there...

I think it a lot of it also has to do with the trailer. My SW trailer runs along smooth as silk (age & manufacturer unknown). My Century trailer is rather old and crappy and rides accordingly.

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: P71_CrownVic
Date Posted: January-24-2013 at 3:40am

I'm very interested in the diesel JGC, am following it closely. I have a feeling the sticker shock will scare me away, but so far I haven't seen pricing.

A similar Toyota Highlander Hybrid starts around $47K, gets 28 MPG, and can only muster 3500 pounds for towing.

And the interior is not nearly as nice as the JGC and it's not anywhere near as capable.

You would be able to get a great JGC Diesel for much less than that.

Chrysler is once again showing that they are the best, most grounded domestic manufacturer. They actually get it. Ford only makes gas guzzling, mediocre appliances that get recalled and GM....well, I'm in no rush at all to replace my 2006 Silverado.

-------------

Date Posted: January-24-2013 at 10:14am
Originally posted by P71_CrownVic P71_CrownVic wrote:

A similar Toyota Highlander Hybrid starts around $47K, gets 28 MPG, and can only muster 3500 pounds for towing.

You would be able to get a great JGC Diesel for much less than that.

I'm not so sure. If they only put the diesel in the 2 top models, then up-charge for the diesel option, I'm guessing it may end up in the 50's. I hope not though!

-------------

Date Posted: January-24-2013 at 12:10pm
I don't know why Chrysler always takes the cool options out of the price bracket of most buyers. I wish they would build a stripper version of my truck in a regular cab 2wd with the 6.4 hemi :). You could get a diesel liberty with crank windows and steel wheels. Why price the people out of the market that just want the diesel for economical reasons and nothing else. My roomates 12 GC X 6 banger was right at 40k. Very nicely optioned but I'm sure the hemi and overland package would put it right around 50k. Chrysler priced the Dakota out of existence. Why buy a small mid size truck when you could spend 3k-5k more and get a bigger nicer truck with better fuel economy.

-------------

Date Posted: January-24-2013 at 8:16pm

If they only put the diesel in the 2 top models, then up-charge for the diesel option, I'm guessing it may end up in the 50's. I hope not though!

David we have 3 models Laredo, Limited and Overland. The diesel is available as a AUS$5K option on all models.

A V6 Petrol Laredo is AUS$50K on the road AUS$55K with the diesel. They are actually cheaper than a similar Toyota or Nissan by at least AUS$5K.

-------------

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

Date Posted: January-24-2013 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

If they only put the diesel in the 2 top models, then up-charge for the diesel option, I'm guessing it may end up in the 50's. I hope not though!

David we have 3 models Laredo, Limited and Overland. The diesel is available as a $5K option on all models.

A V6 Petrol Laredo is $50K on the road $55K with the diesel. They are actually cheaper than a similar Toyota or Nissan by $5K.

what is that in U.S. dollars?

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Date Posted: January-25-2013 at 12:03am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

what is that in U.S. dollars?

Just edited post Australian dollars.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window