Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17249
Printed Date: March-28-2024 at 9:13am

Topic: New Carpet on Bunk Too Slippery
Posted By: bubbaskier
Subject: New Carpet on Bunk Too Slippery
Date Posted: April-23-2010 at 8:33pm
I replaced the carpet on my trailer bunks last summer. The carpet is too slippery and the 1984 SN2001 does not stay put like it used to. Since there is no winch (only a safety chain) on the trailer it is a little scary coming out of the water. Any suggestions? Is there a product one can apply to the carpet to make it less slick or do I need to change out the new bunk carpet to some special type of carpet?

Replies:
Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: April-23-2010 at 8:57pm
bubba, do you hook the safety chain before you pull up the ramp?

Don't end up like this guy...

Have you thought about adding a winch strap? I've got em on our 96 and 78 trailers and they're very nice to have. Cant say the same about bow rollers.

-------------

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: April-23-2010 at 9:05pm
That actually happen to me, launching a brand new Regal 20ft inboard.
After using a product called "Speed Cote"

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: April-23-2010 at 9:25pm
I've heard of a couple winch straps snapping and letting the boat fall off the trailer (MC and MBO forums) that were cranked too tight, so be careful. My non-boating buddy cranked the turnbuckle so tight on Feelgood's BFN once that the whole ass end of the boat was 2" off the trailer bunks in the back when he pulled it out. Those things are pretty strong! Steep ramps are just a PITA.

-------------

Posted By: emccallum
Date Posted: April-23-2010 at 9:38pm
A couple of weeks ago my buddy and I shot down to the lake to get in a quick ski in the 82 SN. I backed the car, he hooked the trailer up, went about one block to the ramp, launch the boat, skied, and loaded the boat and back to the house. Backed the boat into the garage and realized the trailer was latched but not all the way on the ball!! I looked at my buddy, and his face was white as a ghost. I laughed and said, you have to have some luck every now and then! Sometimes a little too much tongue weight can be a blessing.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: April-23-2010 at 10:45pm
The only thing I'm going to say since the statue of limitations isn't up yet,is do you know how hard it is to get the boat back up on the trailer is? I do

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: WakeSlayer
Date Posted: April-23-2010 at 11:14pm
I far prefer turnbuckles.

I saw some guys about a half mile from a launch one time in the middle of the road, about 50 feet ahead of their boat. I offered some advice to them and they freaked on me, like screaming that I had no idea what I was talking about and would get it back on without my stupid suggestion.
If you have a roller trailer, which of course none of us do, you simply back the trailer to the bow, put the vehicle in neutral, and crank the trailer back under the boat.
That bunk wax stuff Al is talking about is risky stuff too.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: bubbaskier
Date Posted: April-23-2010 at 11:30pm
A turnbuckle is a good idea. However with the old carpet even when it was newer I never had an issue of the boat sliding back. The boat always felt secure on the bunks. When I pull the trailer out of the water the bow of the boat rises so I can see problems with Bozo's over tightening anything put on to hold the front down.

Date Posted: April-23-2010 at 11:32pm
We always left the turnbuckle loose until we were on flat ground, then bumped the boat forward with the brakes.

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: jimsport93
Date Posted: April-23-2010 at 11:38pm
Me and seven other guys helped a boat owner load his boat back onto his roller trailer at the ramp oneday. He had unhooked the bow strap while staging the boat on the steep ramp. Started to back in, hit the brakes, and Whamo! The whole 19' I/O on the concrete.
Probably never made that mistake again! OOCH!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2798 - 93 Sport Nautique

Posted By: skicat2001
Date Posted: April-24-2010 at 12:19am
I would hope that never happens to me.. I am 2 damb cautious to let my Nautique fly off the trailer..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-24-2010 at 9:45am
Hook up the bow eye to the trailer!!

Mike,
The "Speed Cote" Al mentioned is actually a bottom coating for the boat that claims to give you a couple extra MPH. I'm surprised it hasn't come up here before with the group trying to out run each other!! Maybe it's a Louisiana or North Carolina secret! They use it on sail boats a lot! Hmmm, isn't there someone we know who's into sailing those catamarans?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-24-2010 at 10:30am
Sorry, I was thinking of Liquid Rollers.   

-------------
Mike N

1968 Mustang

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: April-24-2010 at 11:38am
Add a short pc of safety chain(or coated cable) to the trailer bow stop...kinda like the trailer tongue has. You can hook that in the bow eye on the boat. As your pulling out of the water it wont bind, but the boat slide back very far either.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: rman56
Date Posted: April-24-2010 at 11:38am
I always double and maybe triple check ours before we pull it out or even haul it. I would hate to have my boat slip off. I have always used my winch to hold it then adjust it a little once were on flat ground (if needed)

-------------
1983 Ski Nautique

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: April-24-2010 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

I would hope that never happens to me.. I am 2 damb cautious to let my Nautique fly off the trailer..

Hope you knocked on wood after making that statement.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-25-2010 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Originally posted by skicat2001 skicat2001 wrote:

Hope you knocked on wood after making that statement.

I probally should..huh.. My luck it would happen to me..

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: April-25-2010 at 6:22pm
In my world fate has a sadistic sense of humor.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-25-2010 at 6:40pm

-------------
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Posted By: phaughey
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 12:04am
If you people don't know the answer to the question keep your fingers off the keyboard. Are you that lonely ? The carpet is directional. you have it installed backwards. Slide your hand down the bunks in one direction , then the other , you will see what I am talking about.

-------------
wizard

Posted By: Moody Blue
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 12:33am
Wow. That’s a delayed (and not very nice) response..

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 4:39am

I added two chains to my trailer. One stops the boat from going forward too much and the other holds it so it can't slide off the back.   My boat nearly came in the back window of our truck in a panic stop on wet bunks. Both rear straps just snapped and were no help.
Both front stop bars bent forward and out and the boat slid forward up and over the now bent poles about 5 feet before stopping. We had several deer run out in front of us heading home from the lake one night. Straps are iffy but in Chain I Trust!
The photo only shows the first chain installed. I added the second chain from the eye to the front frame later and covered both chains in rubber when I finished.
Now I rest easy when it is in transport.
Mark

-------------

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 11:35am
Nice solution Mark, given your experiences
Looks stout , but I suspect that u bolt on the trailer would pop earlier than you would wish, it seems a fraction of the strength on the rest of the system, especially given the angle of pull and distortion it would receive prior to full stress.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 12:00pm
Mark- check the rating on that quick link too,they can be way less than you think. I think it would be better to use a clevis hook- https://www.mcmaster.com/#rope-hooks/=19s4rz1" rel="nofollow - like these

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by phaughey phaughey wrote:

If you people don't know the answer to the question keep your fingers off the keyboard. Are you that lonely ? The carpet is directional. you have it installed backwards. Slide your hand down the bunks in one direction , then the other , you will see what I am talking about.

You must be pretty lonely yourself, to drag up a thread that was from 7 1/2 years ago

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 12:42pm
I am so lonely that I take the time to dig up seven year old threads just to make snarky, douchy comments.

-------------

Posted By: desertskier
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 1:06pm
I'm so lonely I think I will go and stroke my carpet.   Directional

Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 1:47pm
Does it matter if the carpet matches the drapes?

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: phaughey
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 5:42pm
7 1/2 years and no one knew the answer. lol

-------------
wizard

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Does it matter if the carpet matches the drapes?

Hell ya

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

We always left the turnbuckle loose until we were on flat ground, then bumped the boat forward with the brakes.

This is what I've resorted to doing. Thus far I've been able to seat the boat far enough forward that it didn't need "adjustment" exactly once. Don't know about the ramps in other parts of the country, but around here - inexplicably, considering it's Kansas - they are steep enough my turnbuckle doesn't extend far enough to even engage the eye. By the time I get it settled in the stakes it's always 2 or 3 inches back.

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Originally posted by WakeSlayer WakeSlayer wrote:

This is what I've resorted to doing. Thus far I've been able to seat the boat far enough forward that it didn't need "adjustment" exactly once. Don't know about the ramps in other parts of the country, but around here - inexplicably, considering it's Kansas - they are steep enough my turnbuckle doesn't extend far enough to even engage the eye. By the time I get it settled in the stakes it's always 2 or 3 inches back.

Joe,
There's an old thread regarding this common problem but I can't find it! Anyway, I believe it reviewed our typical drive on trailers but then went on about adding winches to improve loading. In it I commented about adding a keel roller almost to the stem and mounting a winch higher than the eye even when the boat sits on the trailer. What the roller and winch will do is raise the front of the boat so it more closely matches the angle of the trailer when it's sitting on steeper ramps. Then, the boat can be winched forward and up to the bow stop so the turnbuckle can be engaged.

I'm off to rub my bunk carpet to check it's directionality!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by phaughey phaughey wrote:

7 1/2 years and no one knew the answer. lol

I thought you were kidding.   You actually believe that bunk carpet is directional?

Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm off to rub my bunk carpet to check it's directionality!

No directionality!! Unless the bunk carpet is a special edition Cypress garden endorsed product, I have a feeling any directionality is due to how the boat sits on the carpet and setting the pile in a certain direction!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 8:47pm
I prefer my bunks bare Gary......No Carpet!

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 9:11pm
Carpet takes a set after like 1 day with the boat on it. Fiber direction means nothing. This is hilarious.

Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 9:36pm
TimBob!

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 10:21pm
I looked at what I had and used what was available for the Chain tie down.
I know there are stronger options but I think if I can keep the boat from starting to move on the trailer it won't have enough momentum to snap the tie downs. I also upgraded the rear tie straps to (2) 1,500 pound straps. The ones that snapped in the accident were only 600 pounds each.   If you add up all three changes, heavier rear tie downs plus the chains I think it will stay put.
I do know it is tied down tighter than 90% of the boats on the road so I worry less.
I considered welding the chain to the frame but my chain is galvanized to avoid rust and I did not wish to give up the galvanized option. I did not wish to attempt welding on galvanized metal. The link does show some options I wish I had found before setting this up. Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: October-12-2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

I looked at what I had and used what was available for the Chain tie down. I think if I can keep the boat from starting to move on the trailer it won't have enough momentum to snap the tie downs.

Mark,
I like the chain tie down you added but just as you stated it's the momentum that has the kinetic energy that's the killer. I suggest adding a turnbuckle to the chain so there's no chance for the boat to move forward developing that momentum.

BTW, what's the directionality of your bunk carpet?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: gt40KS
Date Posted: October-13-2017 at 12:51am
My goodness this 7 1/2 year old post has taken off in the last 6 1/2 hours!   
However, there's been a lot of good info as well.   Quite entertaining information at that.

Directional bunk carpet?
I know that carpets coming off a roll may seem to have directionality, but it's only due to the packaging process (rolling of the carpet on the spools) and is certainly not a permanent condition. I doubt it would have any measurable effect on hold one way or the other - unless you had a Velcro hull     

-------------
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40

Date Posted: October-13-2017 at 8:18am
Here's the ultimate way to keep the boat on the trailer without special edition directional bunk carpet!!

Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

I had a Sanger Alley Cat which strattled the trailer with the bunks running in between the hulls. The front seats wre mounted directly to the floor which besides being uncomfortable made it difficult to drive. With the help of a professional marina we made new pedistal boxes for the seats raising them about 4" higher than original and we lagged them right through the hull into the trailer.When we jacked the boat up to see if the lags protruded the hull the trailer wheels came off the ground. It was quite funny when the boat was screwed to the trailer. .

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: October-13-2017 at 9:57am
I am hoping for Jim Mastrom to chime in on the carpet directionality issue. He works in the business so I am sure he will know!

-------------
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Posted By: jimsport93
Date Posted: October-13-2017 at 10:25am
Thanks for the intro Bill !
Yes, carpet does have a direction as a result of the tufting process.
Care must be taken when installing carpet and making cuts/seams. The two pieces must me running in the same direction. If not the seam will appear to be two different colors on each side of the seam. Of course, this applies to installing residential and commercial carpet.
However, I do not see how the direction of the carpet would make much difference on carpet trailer bunks!
Have heard of folks spraying on products that make the carpet more slick......bad idea on the trailer bunks.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2798 - 93 Sport Nautique

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: October-13-2017 at 11:12am

"I TOLD YOU TO RUN THAT CARPET THE OTHER DIRECTION!!!"

-------------

Posted By: FredWSauer
Date Posted: October-13-2017 at 2:32pm
A little silence on this thread between 2010 and 2017. ???

I met a girl with blue carpet and blue curtains.

I left a gap on my 93 SN and the blocking boards and with wet carpet and a panic stop and the boat hit hard and broke out the weld on the bolt/nut that holds the blocking stand on the trailer. Boat stayed. I have the same extra chain tie-down as pictured above.

-------------
- FWS
1993 Ski Nautique
1978 Glastron T-160
1994 Weeres Pontoon - Wife's Boat

Date Posted: October-13-2017 at 2:44pm
I had the turnbuckle pop off while pulling out on a steep ramp. Not sure how that happened but after that I installed a safety chain with a clip in parallel with the turnbuckle. So the bow eye always has two clips on it.

Posted By: Susan's 78 Tique
Date Posted: October-13-2017 at 2:53pm
Quotes…
“You must be pretty lonely yourself, to drag up a thread that was from 7 1/2 years ago”
“I'm so lonely I think I will go and stroke my carpet directional”
“Does it matter if the carpet matches the drapes?”

I am sitting by myself, next to my dog as i read this thread and I am laughing out loud so hard that my dog is a little concerned!!! I don't know any of you but I love you already! Hysterical!!

-------------
My '78 Ski Tique Family Boat
Purchased NEW in the summer of '78
Restoring it LIKE NEW for the summer of 2018!

Posted By: philthy
Date Posted: December-07-2017 at 4:12pm
So I want to further keep this thread resurrected. I'm about to redo the bunks on my trailer and along with getting the carpet glued on (fuzzy side down, right?) I was wondering if it's a good idea to run some angle iron underneath the board? The way I see it, it's supported the whole length instead of just at the risers and it should make it last longer, no? Of course, this is my first boat and first boat trailer and for all I know, the wood is original to the trailer so it could be 30 years old and I'm trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist.

2x2x.125 would be more than strong enough and give a decent base for the 2X6 to lie on.

Of course, if this is a good idea, then I have to leave the boat at the lake, drive home, weld the angle on, prime it, paint it, let it dry, bolt the new bunk on, drive back to the lake and try to find my boat. That seems overly complex now that I typed it out. I'm just gonna unscrew the old bunks at the marina and zip the new ones on.

Good talk. Glad we had it.

-------------
Troy Wiora
Senior Test Pilot
- www.AbusiveMotorSports.com</a>

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style8,all-spc-your-spc-base.png[

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: December-07-2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by philthy philthy wrote:

So I want to further keep this thread resurrected. I'm about to redo the bunks on my trailer and along with getting the carpet glued on (fuzzy side down, right?) I was wondering if it's a good idea to run some angle iron underneath the board? The way I see it, it's supported the whole length instead of just at the risers and it should make it last longer, no? Of course, this is my first boat and first boat trailer and for all I know, the wood is original to the trailer so it could be 30 years old and I'm trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist.

2x2x.125 would be more than strong enough and give a decent base for the 2X6 to lie on.

Of course, if this is a good idea, then I have to leave the boat at the lake, drive home, weld the angle on, prime it, paint it, let it dry, bolt the new bunk on, drive back to the lake and try to find my boat. That seems overly complex now that I typed it out. I'm just gonna unscrew the old bunks at the marina and zip the new ones on.

Good talk. Glad we had it.

Yes it was, sometimes those little voices are just so logical

Print Page | Close Window