Print Page | Close Window

1st post and its an important one! Help me find...

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19018
Printed Date: May-07-2024 at 3:40am

Topic: 1st post and its an important one! Help me find...
Posted By: compact_skier_2B
Subject: 1st post and its an important one! Help me find...
Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 6:14pm
Good afternoon everyone.

I have been looking at the classifieds yesterday and today as I recently stumbled on this forum. I need to find a 61 or 62 Compact Skier. I called on one that needed some TLC in the classifieds but it had just recently sold : (

I have a tight budget but don't mind a restoration project either. If you know a friend/relative/neighbor who is thinking about selling their compact skier to a MAJOR enthusiest please send them my way.

Thanks!

Nate

Replies:
Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 6:18pm
welcome here..Just curious why the interest in that model and year? good old memories?
seb

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 7:37pm
Glad you asked...

My father bought a 61 compact skier which was in need of a full restoration back when I was about 10 (16 years ago). I was too young to take the project over and about a year into it my father lost interest ( he was pretty much into boating because I wanted a boat) so he got rid of the parts and transom/hull. I have not been in a position to look for one until now (out of college with a full time job). I found this forum and called on one in the for sale ads which was $1600 obo but it had just recently sold : (

I love all nautiques from the mustangs and compact skiers to the super air nautiques (I am a wake boarder) and everything inbetween. I love the style and quality but the compact skier has always been at the core of my interest and I would LOVE to get one again that I could take care of/fix up and cruz around in myself.

Nate

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by compact_skier_2B compact_skier_2B wrote:

I love the style and quality but the compact skier has always been at the core of my interest and I would LOVE to get one again that I could take care of/fix up and cruz around in myself.
Nate

Nate,
Keep us posted if you do find one and we'd be happy to give you some advice.

The first advice I have is you are mistaken about the "quality". These were plywood "throw-away" boats.

Second, be prepared to take the hull down to it's frame to do a restoration.

Third is if the bottom has been fiberglassed, you're buying a BIG problem!!

Welcome to CCfan. We're glad you found us.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 7:50pm

I have a tight budget but don't mind a restoration project either.

Im afraid these 2 things dont go well hand in hand... a restoration project = $$$$$$$

I havent done a wood boat, but have seen the work documented here. I can honestly say that dont think I would have the time, patience or budget (let alone the skills!) to support a wood boat project. Thats not even taking into consideration the amount of upkeep a wood boat will require on an annual or semi-annual basis. I have gotten my hands dirty with the glass ones, and even those can be a major PITA when it comes time to restore them.

I dont want to discourage you, but want to make sure you know what youre proposing to get into. I would highly recommend reading Alan's Hurricane thread. Check out Nate's Atom Skier thread as well. If after seeing those projects in detail youre still interested, then by all means keep searching. You came to the right place for good advice.

On the other hand, if you want something that you can get in the water in a reasonable amount of time, you may want to consider starting with a glass boat instead! A project boat of any type is no cupcake- but the glass seems infinitely easier than the wood. Just my 2 cents.

Either way, welcome!

-------------

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Pete, Does that go for all wooden boats, or just plywood. I understand the glass bottom not being original, but why is it a big problem?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 7:57pm
Here's a nice Ski Tique, a "Compact" Nautique in NH, and someone has already done the restoration for you:
http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/1872473495.html - http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/1872473495.html

If you want an actual Compact Skier, here's one in Maine, but no pictures, and in the 5k range:
http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/1835316479.html - http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/1835316479.html

The Tique would pack a lot more HP if you're looking to use it for actual waterskiing and wakeboarding. There's a couple Tiques on my lake, and they seem to really fly along nice, they do purpose a bit, but other than that, really cool.

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 8:00pm
Welcome. Of all the old wooden Correct Crafts, the Compact Skiers seem to be the most prevalent. Watch the diaries and craigs list. They come up on occation. There have been a couple of really nice ones that have come up for sale over the pat few years. Try going through the diaries and contacting people.

-------------

Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Pete, Does that go for all wooden boats, or just plywood. I understand the glass bottom not being original, but why is it a big problem?

Kevin,
Any wood boat that has had it's bottom glassed is a problem with the exception of if it was done from scratch on plywood (still not a good idea in my mind). It's simply a temporary cover up for a problem bottom. All the seams/planks are loose and a layer of glass isn't strong enough to take the place of solid wood and fastenings that aren't sound. The glass will fracture any place there is movement. Then water will get in and stay speeding up rot that's already in there. On a double planked bottom it's even worse.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Im afraid these 2 things dont go well hand in hand... a restoration project = $$$$$$$

I havent done a wood boat, but have seen the work documented here. I can honestly say that dont think I would have the time, patience or budget (let alone the skills!) to support a wood boat project. Thats not even taking into consideration the amount of upkeep a wood boat will require on an annual or semi-annual basis. I have gotten my hands dirty with the glass ones, and even those can be a major PITA when it comes time to restore them.

I dont want to discourage you, but want to make sure you know what youre proposing to get into. I would highly recommend reading Alan's Hurricane thread. Check out Nate's Atom Skier thread as well. If after seeing those projects in detail youre still interested, then by all means keep searching. You came to the right place for good advice.

On the other hand, if you want something that you can get in the water in a reasonable amount of time, you may want to consider starting with a glass boat instead! A project boat of any type is no cupcake- but the glass seems infinitely easier than the wood. Just my 2 cents.

Either way, welcome!

I mean a tighter budget to "get into" the boat...I have been doing projects for over ten years (mostly cars) but I have recently taken on some PWC projects etc. I am by no means an expert and I don't think I would turn around a project boat very quickly but I would love to find out how I would do (and there is only one way to do that).

I guess when I was using the word "quality" it was more in reference to the newer glass boats which have a reputation in the market for their quality. I have not even seen a Compact Skier in person in years but am very excited to track the right one down and get started.

Thanks for all the posts so far and I am going to really try and find something to keep up with.

PS I would probably not use my boat as much for watersports as for just cruising around...my friend has a Malibu wake setter which does just fine for boarding : )

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 8:13pm
Ahh, just realized I posted a link to a compact skier with a glasses bottom, sorry about that.

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 8:42pm
3 for sale on this site.   4 if you count the '63.

AT

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 10:02pm
http://boise.craigslist.org/boa/1888662543.html - early wood CC - Idaho

Hopefully this link's correctly..... I'm not well enough versed to know if this is a compact skier or not, probably not since Pete mentioned plywood bottoms....   Pete - can you Identify this one?

Good luck with search!

Date Posted: August-12-2010 at 10:04pm
You guys are awesome thanks for all the heads up already! I checked all of them out and I will continue to keep my eyes peeled (hope you guys do too).

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Hopefully this link's correctly..... I'm not well enough versed to know if this is a compact skier or not, probably not since Pete mentioned plywood bottoms....   Pete - can you Identify this one?

Good luck with search!

Just a guess from an amature but I dont think it is sitting on a cc period correct trailer.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 2:09am
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

Good luck with search!

Just a guess from an amature but I dont think it is sitting on a cc period correct trailer.
That was my first thought too.... even if I was ready to take on a Project of this magnitude, getting it home would be a trick....

Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 9:46am

Looking at the deck where it meets the hull sides, It does not appear to be a Compact Skier. The deck on the Compact's overhung the hull sides. I think the seller is correct stating its a "Skier". Late 50's with the optional double planked hull.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 12:03pm
It seems that a clean affordable mustang would also be within my search also.

Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 12:04pm
I wonder what it would take to put the mustang engine in one of the compact skiers?

Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 12:28pm

I wonder what it would take to put the mustang engine in one of the compact skiers?

A repower in a classic?? I highly recommend against it.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 12:58pm
Stock+

Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 1:04pm
I LOVE your Atom!!!!! Just read the Diarie and I absolutely LOVE what you did to yours. I completely agree with the restore stock mentality and I am just stirring the pot since I don't even have a boat yet to work on : )

Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 1:26pm
Nate,
Thanks. The Atom is really a fun little boat. The project was fun a well.

Sticking with originality is key especially with wooden classics. A non original engine really hurts the value. Most of the people out there looking at buying a collectable demand it since they are aware of the importance.

Let's say you do find a boat and restore it. There may be a day when you may also want to show it. If that happens and it's judged, I'd say 95% of the ACBS judges will walk up and open the dog house and look at the engine. I know I do!! A non orignal "totally out of character" never offered as a option from the factory engine is a mandatory 7 point deduction. That's a major point hit on a 100 point scale.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Hawktique
Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 1:41pm
Wood boats is where I draw my line. Gotta keep them original/time period correct. All others are fair game!

-------------
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Either way, welcome!

Timmy, your advice there is based on your ability, not on Nates . Please also post correctly the added mainainance needed on a wood boat vs. a plastic one?
I now have two woodies , I will have to do a complete "skin" and some frame work on the Dart soon.Although this will be "new ground" it is not reason to not do the rebuild myself. This is a plywood boat, DUH .. It was not complicated when built, why should the rebuild be that hard?
A double planked boat is a different animal, Alan's Hurricne and my new Utility, much more durable and pleasing to the eye. More expensive to restore, but no more expensive than plastic to maintain.
There is something about WOOD Timmy you have not found, you can go actually go slower the ZERO MPH, you can go back in TIME. May you all find that one day with every outing..................BOat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Posted By: davidg
Date Posted: August-13-2010 at 11:16pm
Not sure if this is a Compact Skier or not, but, I just came across it the other day on Craiglist Chicago.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/boa/1885438431.html - Old Wooden Correct Craft

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 12:00am
wood is for the fireplace   lol

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 12:12am
Dave,
It sure looks like a Compact! Notice the deck overhangs the hull sides.

EDIT: Looks like the bottom has been glassed!!

Yes Tim,
We need to get you more involved with the wood. Maybe Melisa can help out! You certainly have the talent!! Working with the boats that is!!   

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 2:02am
There is something about WOOD Timmy you have not found, you can go actually go slower the ZERO MPH, you can go back in TIME.

Going back in time would be great Tim,party lines,commodore 64's,dirt floors,Pintos,56k modems

It's a generational thing Billy,whats old to us is ancient to Tim.He already has his old boat,you need to work on his Dad----

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 4:01pm
Actually, Billy,   There are certain aspects of plywood boat restoration that are more difficult than plank.

Your fitting the whole sheet, instead of each individual plank.

Also on a Correct Craft, you have to decide, 2 piece sides, or the more original 1 piece.
1 piece requires finding someone who can scarf join plywood sheets. Fitting a full length side can be quite the challenge for a novice boat builder. Especially when it comes to bending and fitting the full width around towards the bow.
There used to be a place in St.Louis that was capable of doing 18 inch scarfs.

AT

Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Actually, Billy,   There are certain aspects of plywood boat restoration that are more difficult than plank.

Your fitting the whole sheet, instead of each individual plank.

Also on a Correct Craft, you have to decide, 2 piece sides, or the more original 1 piece.
1 piece requires finding someone who can scarf join plywood sheets. Fitting a full length side can be quite the challenge for a novice boat builder. Especially when it comes to bending and fitting the full width around towards the bow.
There used to be a place in St.Louis that was capable of doing 18 inch scarfs.

AT

Yes the scarf is a problem with todays ply face veneer being around a 1/64" thick when bright finished. The ply needs to be pre stained and sealed, the scarf cut and epoxied, then clamped and any excess epoxy solvent wiped off.

Al,
I don't feel there is anyone out there anymore scarfing ply. It's now a do it yourself process and not easy!!!

In the "good old days", the face veneer was a 1/8" thick - special for the scarf. Plenty of sanding room!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 4:41pm
Pete,   There probably is a few places left. One would just have to start searching. A good place to start would be looking for high-end cabinet builders.
I would not recommend a do-it-yourself scarf joint. I would also advise against any stain between the joint.

AT

Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 4:50pm
Al'
Read again!! I never said stain/seal the actual scarf!! I said pre stain seal the panel face. Then cut your scarf.

BTW, I've been all over!! Why would cabinet builders need sheets of ply over 8'?? Also, some species of ply are available in 10' sheets. You are really out of "tune" regarding the subject!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 5:30pm
Not saying need, saying capability.

AT

Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 7:07pm

Al'
Read again!! I never said stain/seal the actual scarf!! I said pre stain seal the panel face. Then cut your scarf.

BTW, I've been all over!! Why would cabinet builders need sheets of ply over 8'?? Also, some species of ply are available in 10' sheets. You are really out of "tune" regarding the subject!!

Not saying need, saying capability.

AT

Really? I still don't understand why a cabinet maker would have the "capability" when there is no "need". A scarf isn't even in their vocabulary!! Please explain.
BTW, have you ever scarfed?? I have!!!! And bright finished!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 8:05pm
Outfit that sells scarfed 4 x 16' right up the road from me

http://www.boulterplywood.com/ - Boulter Marine Plywood

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 8:17pm
Pete, a fellow might want to accent a table top with an ebony inlay. He could cut 1 strip from a 10' plank of ebony or cut a bunch from a 1' block. I can't imagine how much a 10' piece of ebony would cost...if you could find one. And yes, it's a different application.

I did think of a pair of jigs since we talked about it way back that might work on a wide belt sander. The sander would have to be big enough to not be a drum type along with a few other details like width. Otherwise I suppose it would be a long knife and a guillotine set-up? I've never seen the established meathod.

Maybe/hopefully I'll need to figure it out someday.   

Edit-Larry fixed it!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Larry,
Thanks, The next time you're going down the road, ask them about bright finishing their scarfed ply. I went to the link and saw the picture of their scarf. Sorry but from what I saw, the glue used to make the scarf is very evident on both sides of the scarf and this will prevent the wood from taking a stain. That's the big problem!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-14-2010 at 11:20pm
Pete,   High-End maybe the words you missed. These are the shops that do more than just cabinets. Spiral Staircases, Elaborate Doorways, Display Cases etc...   Get the idea?   Things that would be found in multi-million dollar homes.
So saying there is no "need" is rather silly.

I also looked at Boulter's scarf. Looks good. The remaining glue shouldn't be a problem for a talented wood person.

I would much rather use scarfed ply, than to have an ugly visible butt block on the interior.   Wouldn't you?

Quoting your above statement.    "BTW, have you ever scarfed? I have!!! And bright finished!!!
What's that all about?   Need a Medal?
Actually I have not scarfed plywood. We subbed out scarfing to professionals that did that every day and had the equipment to do it right.   And yes I have bright finished scarfed ply.   Also I have scarf joined more keels than I care to count.

Regarding being "out of tune"    I also build guitars.

Larry, Good link, Thanks.

AT

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: August-15-2010 at 12:10am

Larry,
Thanks, The next time you're going down the road, ask them about bright finishing their scarfed ply. I went to the link and saw the picture of their scarf. Sorry but from what I saw, the glue used to make the scarf is very evident on both sides of the scarf and this will prevent the wood from taking a stain. That's the big problem!!

I always wondered about that Pete, and especially after you taked about doing the finishing prior to doing the scarfing. I wonder if the sloppy glue job could be sanded down to take a bright finish. In teh many year ongoing thinking about building a boat, is scarf and bright or scarf and paint or butt and bright (bright is my preference although painted hull and bright deck is an option too. Another factor....transporting a 16 foor long piece of wood and then, as mentioned above, handling it could be a challenge too.

-------------

Date Posted: August-15-2010 at 5:52am

I wonder if the sloppy glue job could be sanded down to take a bright finish.

There's just not enough face veneer thickness on todays ply to sand. It's typically around 1/64". It you sand to far, then you're into the glue line at the next layer and this too inhibits the wood from taking a stain.

The ply used on my X55 was a special order. The outside face veneer is 1/8" thick.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-15-2010 at 6:27am

Pete,   High-End maybe the words you missed. These are the shops that do more than just cabinets. Spiral Staircases, Elaborate Doorways, Display Cases etc...   Get the idea?   Things that would be found in multi-million dollar homes.
So saying there is no "need" is rather silly.

Al,
I've been this route as well. I didn't miss "high end"! We have two members in our chapter that I have discussed the scarf issue with. One owns a very "high end" architectural millwork shop doing work in multi million dollar homes in our Lake Geneva area. He also is big time into boat restoration http://www.langecustomwoodworking.com/about.html - Lange custom woodworking The second is all architectural millwork mostly large commercial jobs like a bank or exec offices. Both agree the bright finished scarf with todays ply is a problem and that the stain and seal before cutting the scarf is the only way.

Both also commented that a scarf isn't needed in ether the cabinet or architectural millwork areas. It's pretty much restricted to the ply marine hull area.

I also looked at Boulter's scarf. Looks good. The remaining glue shouldn't be a problem for a talented wood person.

It may look good to you maybe but I'd worry? Get some stain on it and see what happens!

I would much rather use scarfed ply, than to have an ugly visible butt block on the interior.   Wouldn't you?

Absolutely! Plus with a butt block you will always have a problem with the outside seam.

Quoting your above statement.    "BTW, have you ever scarfed? I have!!! And bright finished!!!
What's that all about?   Need a Medal?
Actually I have not scarfed plywood. We subbed out scarfing to professionals that did that every day and had the equipment to do it right.   And yes I have bright finished scarfed ply.   Also I have scarf joined more keels than I care to count
AT

Al,
Sorry this wasn't meant to be insulting in any way but merely to stress the complexity of scarfing ply for a bright finish. You didn't seem to understand that. However, now you stating you subbed out your scarf work to professionals explains a lot.

I wish the ply scarf was as easy as doing a keel that's hidden anyway!! Plenty of filled epoxy goes a long way!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-15-2010 at 8:57am

Al,
Is this the picture you looked at off Boucher's site? It looks pretty bad to me!!!??? keep in mind that they always put the best picture up for viewing on a site!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-15-2010 at 9:32am
Here's a older close up picture of one of the scarfs on my X55.

This picture was taken after a refinish, new spray rails and fresh bottom paint. Not a close up but at any distance past a couple feet, the scarf isn't even noticeable. You won't get this with a butt block butt joint.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:24pm
gentleman...I go to the St. Lawrence river for a week and you send my thread off on a serious side course...

I enjoy your comments and my new question is "WHAT IS SCARFING!!!!"

So much talk about it would lead me to believe its some sort of high end way to join plywood together length wise?

Thanks,

Nate

Date Posted: August-21-2010 at 11:46pm
Nate.
A scarf joint is a long bevel that's cut on end of two pieces of wood. Usually in a 8 to 10 ratio of wood thickness to the length of the bevel. Depending on the adhesive and if the bevels are cut accurately, the joint is stronger than the wood itself.

You say you don't mind a restoration project but I need to ask about your woodworking skill level. Are you sure you want a wood boat? A scarf is a pretty basic joint.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 1:10pm
Pete,
I don't mind a project...does knowing the term scarf determine the quality of ones ability to fabricate? No I have never done a scarf but by the sounds of the back and forth in this thread I would say you are the only one who has performed a scarf and admitted yourself that it is a very difficult process to perform correctly...now you call it a basic joint??
I could read all the forums in the world and not be any better at wood/mechanical work...the way I learn is to do. Not to say I don't appreciate all the excellent information I have been given thus far on the forum, I just feel you may be a little quick to judge based on my question about a basic term.
Keep the help, info, and opinions coming!

Nate

Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 1:47pm

Pete,
I don't mind a project...does knowing the term scarf determine the quality of ones ability to fabricate? No I have never done a scarf but by the sounds of the back and forth in this thread I would say you are the only one who has performed a scarf and admitted yourself that it is a very difficult process to perform correctly...now you call it a basic joint??
I could read all the forums in the world and not be any better at wood/mechanical work...the way I learn is to do. Not to say I don't appreciate all the excellent information I have been given thus far on the forum, I just feel you may be a little quick to judge based on my question about a basic term.

Nate

Nate,
Sorry. My wording was not very good. I was trying to determine your woodworking skill level and it came across sounding insulting. That's wasn't the intent.

Yes, you are absolutely correct that doing is learning!

A scarf is one of the basic joints although it's very old and not used very much anymore and consequently forgotten. The only two places it's still used is in boat building/repair and lengthening plywood. As you've read, the basic ply scarf isn't a big challenge for a woodworker until that ply becomes bright finished.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 5:33pm
Wow!    The only point I was focusing on, the fact that you stated at 12:17pm    " I don't feel there is anyone out there anymore scarfing ply. It's now a do it yourself process, and not easy!!!"

Larry found a place in only a matter of a few hours!

Now you say "isn't a big challenge"

As for stain, one must know how to make wood accept stain.

As for your other comment. One must also know when to out-source a process to produce the highest quality end result.
And "Filler in a keel?"   Surely you jest!

Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 5:50pm

Wow!    The only point I was focusing on, the fact that you stated at 12:17pm    " I don't feel there is anyone out there anymore scarfing ply. It's now a do it yourself process, and not easy!!!"

Larry found a place in only a matter of a few hours!

Now you say "isn't a big challenge"

As for stain, one must know how to make wood accept stain.

As for your other comment. One must also know when to out-source a process to produce the highest quality end result.
And "Filler in a keel?"   Surely you jest!

Al,
It has become quite obvious that you are way beyond my level of talent. Thanks for your input.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: boat dr
Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 6:32pm
Pete, I have seen the work you do, and the talent's you hide inside that brain of your's. Thank you for the many tips you have provided .
I have never done a scarf, but the time is growing near to raise the bar.Plastic does not scare me,mat and gel will hide a lot .But to perform a proper joint that will accept a stain and not show is a thing of beauty........Boat dr

-------------
boat dr

/diaries/details.asp?ID=4631 - 1949 Dart
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1533 - 1964 American Skier

Date Posted: August-22-2010 at 8:27pm

Pete,

Nate

Nate,
Sorry. My wording was not very good. I was trying to determine your woodworking skill level and it came across sounding insulting. That's wasn't the intent.

Yes, you are absolutely correct that doing is learning!

A scarf is one of the basic joints although it's very old and not used very much anymore and consequently forgotten. The only two places it's still used is in boat building/repair and lengthening plywood. As you've read, the basic ply scarf isn't a big challenge for a woodworker until that ply becomes bright finished.

Thanks Pete! Its not that I am even claiming to be a good wood worker I was more referencing someone who may be very good at such talents but not completely versed in the full technical lingo (even though in most cases the two would go hand in hand).

I will continue my search for a correct craft be it wood or glass.

Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:14pm
Well I am trying hard to get this one as it is only 3 hrs away but I don't think I will win the auction...looks like someone else is running up the bids against me (probably someone from this site : ) )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-CORRECT-CRAFT-ALL-WOOD-CUSTOM-SKIER-6CYL-NO-RES-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ170531131204QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats - ebay link

Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:26pm
Nate,
Something may be wrong with your link. It takes me to a ebay page that states the item has been removed.

When posting a link, use the "post reply" and not the "quick reply". Click on the world icon at the top and the first window that comes up is where you want to describe the link. Click ok and you'll get another window. This is where you want to paste the copied address. Then click ok again.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:33pm
I did find it by doing a ebay search. Here's http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-CORRECT-CRAFT-ALL-WOOD-CUSTOM-SKIER-6CYL-NO-RES-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ170531131204QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats - the link That is a Compact! Overall it doesn't look like it's in that bad of a condition however, it looks like the bottom has been fiberglassed. Not good!! He's ether off on his HP or the CI. I'd say it's the CI because the 200 was never marinized.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-23-2010 at 2:43pm
Thanks for posting the link Pete...I want that little baby. I noticed the hull and I did email him about it asking what the situation was and if he could take more detailed pics below the water line.

I'll keep you posted.

Nate

Print Page | Close Window