Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20065
Printed Date: April-28-2024 at 12:32pm

Topic: Bill Yeargan Plant Nautique Interview
Posted By: wakeboardin2k4
Subject: Bill Yeargan Plant Nautique Interview
Date Posted: November-27-2010 at 9:48pm
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/content.php?324-Bill-Yeargin-Answers-Our-Questions-%282010%29 - Bill Yeargan Interview

This interview was published on Planet Nautique the other day and I read it today.

I felt as though I was reading this it was almost as though I was reading an interview with a politician. Many of his answers he beat around the questions. I was overall not very impressed with the interview and at points I was actually angry about how he answered the questions with at some points disregard for the consumer, and more concerned with producing "the best" boats.

Share your thoughts

-------------
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"

Replies:
Date Posted: November-27-2010 at 10:28pm
As I am rereading this interview, here are a few of the highlights of my frustration.

JEFF CARROLL:
Are there any major changes coming to the ballast systems in Nautiques? Specifically, some of our members are interested to know whether you’ve looked into the Pure Vert ballast system.

BILL YEARGIN:
Our Product Development team has evaluated numerous ballast systems and concluded that our current system is the most robust system available. However, we are committed to making our boats even better so our team continues to focus on that with a goal of providing the best possible experience on the water. We are constantly looking to improve all aspects of our boats and are committed to providing the best we can for our customers.

I know that the majority of CCF members are advocates for the skiing and classic boat community and that is a question like this may not phase the majority of you guys but this is so untrue. Nautiques (never to be known again as Correct Craft) have a very weak ballast system compared to the rest of the wakeboarding community. If Epic and Calabria with 1/10th of the financial resources and R&D that "Nautiques" have can plumb in 4000lbs of water without having to turn on a pump why would you dodge the question and give a weak answer? It could be he just doesn't know why the guys in Product Development are sticking with the standard ballast take and pump set up?

JEFF CARROLL:
Correct Craft has been known for offering the industry’s best warranty. Are there any major changes planned for the warranty in the near future? Some of our members have voiced their opinion that the warranties could be made more user-friendly by offering a single warranty, instead of one for the hull, deck and stringers, one for the engine, and one for the rest of the boat. Also, they’re interested in knowing the likelihood of the warranty ever being changed so that the second owner is covered without paying the transfer fees.

BILL YEARGIN:
Jeff, we are continually reviewing our warranty and the warranties of our competitors. We will keep doing this but at the current time we do not have any major changes planned.

Weak. Just weak   

JEFF CARROLL:
Do you have any plans for offering a budget-based wakeboard boat or ski boat in the future? Some of our members are big fans of the older 210, and those people are convinced that the older 210 would be an ideal budget-based wakeboard boat. The same goes for the 196. Would Nautique ever consider bringing back those boats? Can you offer some insight on the reasons behind that decision?

BILL YEARGIN:
Jeff, our goal is to have the best water ski and wakeboard boats available. We are not building to a certain price; we are building to be the best.

The Ski Nautique 200 has proven that it is the best water ski boat available and unless you are wearing competitive goggles with very thick lenses you would have to agree. The Ski Nautique 200 has clearly differentiated itself from the competition, it has pulled two new world records, numerous national records and innumerable personal bests, and it is only a year old! That is our standard for new product introductions. I am happy to report that we are being told by customers that we have done it again with the new Sport Nautique 200 we introduced earlier this year.

The older models people sometimes ask me about bringing back were designed and manufactured in a different era. The construction methods resulted in a different production flow which gave more opportunity for inconsistency in the quality. Don’t get me wrong, they were great boats, but we believe our product development process and manufacturing techniques build a much better boat today.

Finally, without commenting on specific programs, you can be sure that Nautique will continue to be the world’s premium producer of high-performance towboats. Our product development team has generated a great track record and we are just getting started. We are excited about the future of our Nautiques.

This one really bothered me. I just explained it to my girlfriend about how Mastercraft did that with the x1 and have done well with their sales of that model. My personal opinion is that if Correct Craft brought back the old 210 hull too many people would buy that over the current 210 hull if the old hull were set at a more reasonable price level than that of 85k for a new 210.   

I think it would be very smart for CC to offer a budget boat like a 210 or a 196. If you haven't checked out the company http://standardboats.com/default.aspx - Standard Boats they basically are making the 2001 hulls with modern materials and a modern motor at a modest price. Standard boats will have a hard time breaking into the market as a new boat brand BUT if CC came out with an idea like this I think because of having the Nautiques name it would have the publicity of a website like CCF and planetnautique.com to get it into the spotlight and sell some boats.

Andddddd thats the end of my rant

-------------
"I'm planning to bring my girl that rides on a trailer with me and leave my girl that complains about camping at home"

Posted By: JMurph
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 8:55am
Wakeboardin,

I know there is a call of CC to make a less expensive boat. I don't see how pulling the molds back out for the 196 or the earlier 210 would help them accomplish that, even if they wanted too. They would still be using the same materials and labor to build the boat. I guess they could build a stripped down model, but no one really wants that either. If you look at the used market, there are low hour earlier generation boats available to fill the need of the lower cost CC. Can you imagine car buyers saying that the Cadillac Escalade is now too expensive (which it is), so if they could simply build the last generation for a less expensive model, then more people would own one? It seems really unrealistic and the comparison is not that far off in this instance.

I would be interested in the ballast issue. I simply don't know enough about that technology. My '79 did not come with that option? Must have been too expensive at the time.

-------------

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 9:43am
I see a few problems, build more and less expensive boats? cant happen, the labor force is matured which means those costs have to be transfered, more boats means paying more hours. it appears to me that their overhead exceeded an affordable boat,
the CFO is in control of the bottem line, you bundle this entire package up, saleries, new state of the art facilty, marketing, R and D, toilet paper lol and you come up with the bottem line...and then you throw your profit in.
I think i have said this before, you make money in 2 basic ways, in volume or in higher prices, volume i mean instead of selling 100 50k boats you need to sell 200. and not cuttting pricing.

Now you have Kevin over at Standard boats, probably in some low rent district, crew of mexican's not mexicant's, building these boats....really if you think about it you can probably by an engine trans package wholesale for 5k, stick it in your glassed hull add a few blings and its an affordable boat.
Standard boats can produce a boat for half the cost and that can be passed onto the consumers.

basically the same exact thing that happened to the auto industry

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 10:06am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

it appears to me that their overhead exceeded an affordable boat,

basically the same exact thing that happened to the auto industry

Get rid of the big $$$ CEO's including Yeargan!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 10:12am
I would say a buck seventy....i didnt want to post that in case he does care about public opinion

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 10:14am
plus bonuses, not lately though

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 11:03am
I understand the cost analysis but then how is MC and Malibu able to produce the x1 and the vride at under 50 or 55k?

Jmurph I understand your escalade reference but GM does offer a less expensive version of the escalade, the tahoe. Like I said I understand the overhead involved in CC manufacturing I just don't see why the other 2 major inboard boat manufactures can do it?

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 11:09am

i didnt want to post that in case he does care about public opinion

He's answering to the board's views and not the public's. Cover thy butt and keep the job.
Yes, how do other boat companies do it???

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 12:22pm
This is a rather funny thread, to me anyway.
Let’s break some of this down. For one, Nautiques is the corporate name, get used to it! Their is someone else other then the Meloon family that "owns" the company. If you take a look at the history of Nautique and Correct Craft Corporate presidents in the last 10 years one will see that Mr. Yeargan ("Bill") has survived a near company meltdown because of the economy, He and his staff managed to keep the company healthy during this crises and has now been able to re-hire workers that had to be laid off during this time. Bill has also been involved with bringing the new manufacturing facility up to current modern levels and has in house one of the finest design teams in the industry. Bill has held the reins longer then any other during the last 10 years. If any of you get a chance to meet Bill you will see that he has a easy manor about him and he has a passion for most of the same things we all have towards on the water activity's and all things Nautiques and Even Correct Craft. He might even take you closet Tubers up on a tube ride! (Pete?)
As for bringing back a low budget Nautique, 196 or 210 well this will not happen in the Nautique line. Nautique products are compared to BMW or Mercedes in the Auto world. They (we) don’t not want to build the most but build the best product available. Sorry but Nautiques does not build boats addressed towards the lower middle class, they build boats for the upscale professional and those that can afford a Nautique, Want a boat for the masses buy a Malibu or Tige or some lesser built boat. Their are plenty of great buy's on previous own very nice Nautiques that are very affordable and will offer many years of reliable, stylish and even a re-sale for the second and third owners second to none.
In the words of George Harrison "All things must Change" Correct Craft has changed and is now Nautiques!! They must be doing something right as they are a healthy company coming out yearly with innovative thought provoking products that are setting records and allowing skiers, riders and water sports enthusiast many pleasurable hours of on the water enjoyment in a family style format.
Live it!!
Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Jody Seal

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 12:26pm
I doubt Bill Yeargin goes into work each day and says the market (buying public) doesn't know what they want and they're going to get a Correct Craft (Nautique) his way or its the highway. If Correct Craft could make a value point boat that sold well and increased production and profits I'm sure they would. I haven't followed Malibu for a few years, but while they offer more models and a value line, I believe that company is in survival mode along with the rest of the industry. If Correct Craft offered a stripped down model, how many people would actually buy one?

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Nautique products are compared to BMW or Mercedes in the Auto world.Live it!!
Cheers and Happy Holidays!
Jody Seal

Jody,
BMW does make the 128i at about 30K and Mercedes the C Class at about 34K!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by wakeboardin2k4 wakeboardin2k4 wrote:

I understand the cost analysis but then how is MC and Malibu able to produce the x1 and the vride at under 50 or 55k?

I was going to make this very point. Malibu does it with the Ride series, which to my understanding, is always a previous gen Wakesetter. I had a whole summer of driving an iRide at a summer camp. It was a great all around boat, and held up well to the abuses of summer camp duty.

Ford got away with it for years with the now about to be discontinued Ranger. Some may say it stripped sales from low trim level F150s, but it also stole a lot of sales from the Tacoma. Some may say it's a crude truck, but they last a long time and give people with smaller budgets a way to get their work done.

I guess selling the old mold to a company like Standard might be one solution?

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 1:19pm
Almost forgot to mention, the best example of all: Harley does it very successfully with the Sportster. Yeah, the Sportster takes some sales away from their Dyna line, maybe, but an awful lot of people ride Sportsters that would never normally ride a Harley. And, most importantly, a huge number of Sportster owners graduate to bigger and more expensive Big Twin Harleys.

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 1:26pm
Note that Malibu discontinued their Sportster line a few years back and MC discontinued the SportStar and "19 Skier" models after only a couple years. IIRC the 176 didn't make it long either. If these were good plans, why did they discontinue the models?

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Note that Malibu discontinued their Sportster line a few years back and MC discontinued the SportStar and "19 Skier" models after only a couple years. IIRC the 176 didn't make it long either. If these were good plans, why did they discontinue the models?

Could not agree more!!
I have actually sat in marketing meetings that were new product oriented and lobied for a "price point" boat and for every point I came up with to engineer one the marketing and production staff could come up with five reason not to. The biggest reason is that it takes nearly the same amount of resourses to build a price point boat as a top of the line boat! So why mess with a sales margin?

As for selling older molds to other boat company's that will also never happen with Nautiques do to libility reasons for one and why would Nautiques sell production molds to a competitor???

Pete Mercedes and BMW build in one week (maybe one day) the amount of cars our whole Niche industry builds in a year. Nautiques even in the powerboat world are a small custom boat company.

Keep it in perspective The amount of sales for a Nautique price point boat just is not their. Their are plenty of low hour great priced, previous owned top of the line Nautiques available for the price of a "price point boat". If you can not find one give me a call I have a line on numerous very nice late model Nautiques with low hours at great prices.
Cheers!

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 2:02pm

Their are plenty of low hour great priced, previous owned top of the line Nautiques available for the price of a "price point boat". If you can not find one give me a call I have a line on numerous very nice late model Nautiques with low hours at great prices.
Cheers!

I will definitely hold you to that when I decide to upgrade to a 210

Its unfortunate that at this point the cost of materials and labor are so high that it's not possible for nautique to come out with a budget boat. I know that's not the market they're looking to hit but if it were cost effective i would think they would be more inclined to do so.

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 2:32pm
Also, Pete- BMW's different models are not budget-oriented. They are purpose-oriented. The 1-series is targeted toward those who think the 3-series have gotten bloated (they have) and long for the size and "tossability" the 70's-era 2002 models or the E30 (84-91ish) 3-series. Incidentally the ///M 1-series is coming out soon and that will target the ///M3 series fans who think the same thing. Nobody in the market for a 5-series would buy a 1-series because of budget constraints- it's a totally different animal.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 2:32pm
I bought a new Sportster in 2003 for $24k+-. By 2007, the last year of production, they were $30K. They priced themselves right out of the market. Supposedly, they were only being built in the Tennessee plant as no one out west wanted them and all the ones built in the east were heading to the Northeast, which for some reason is was the only place where they were in demand. Interestingly, it appears Malibu is still building Responses which haven't changed since 1998. They don;t list them in the brochures, but do have them on their web site. Still a $40k+ boat though.

Buying a stripped down 200 is probably like trying to order a 7 series BMW with crank up windows and vinly seats.

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 2:38pm
Back in the spring, East Coast Flightcraft had a mint, low hour, Malibu Sportster priced at $14,500. It lasted exactly one day before it was sold.

I think it was more or less a Response hull, right?

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 2:42pm

BMW's different models are not budget-oriented. They are purpose-oriented.

This is the exact reason why I think there is a spot in CC's lineup below the 200. There seem to be a decent amount of people who have no desire for a 95" wide, 20' open bow ski boat. I agree that offering a "price point" boat doesnt fit with CC's marketing strategy... but something in the 17-18' range that skied 95% as good as the flagship might attract some buyers- similar to the 135i vs. M3 scenario. Maybe the market is completely different than it was 30 years ago, but it seems CC sold a bunch of Mustangs back in the day without cutting into Ski Nautique sales too badly.

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 2:47pm
I was going to mention the Mustang. There's two Mustangs on my lake and two more Tiques. People seem to hold on to them up there because they're a nice size for smaller but ski-able lakes and ponds.

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

I think it was more or less a Response hull, right?

No. Narrower beam and a non-Diamond hull. Totally different wake then the Response IMO (think very small little parking curb). GREAT wake for barefooting- the Sportster is coveted by footers for it's very flat, firm wake. I learned to LL behind one and it was paradise. Fast as hell too.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 3:01pm
The Sportster came out on the old Response hull at about time time the Response got an upgrade to its hull. The Sportster never got AWSA approval or was any kind of official tournement boat. The idea behind it was to get the entry level buyer into it who would then upgrade to a Response a few years later. Seeing that Malibu ended it leads me to believe it didn't pan out they way they wanted it to.

Sportsters seem to have a following and sell pretty quickly, although not for big bucks.

Correct Craft has certainly dabled in the recreational boating market over the years, but seems to have settled into the water sports only market for now. They don't even make a luxury cruising version of any of their VD'd do they?

-------------

Posted By: MI-nick
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 3:22pm

How much of the price of a new boat is wrapped up in tooling?? You have big molds for the deck and hull, molds for seat bases, helm, etc, steel rule dies for the vinyl....dies for all the bkts, w/h, etc.

speaking from an automotive standpoint, the price of a vehicle is generally composed of piece price (raw mal'l + labor to mold, stamp, paint, etc.), amortized tooling cost (die/mold cost divided by vehicle volume), and labor (assembly, painting). considering the case for bringing back the old 210, the amortized tooling cost would be $0 as they are already "paid for". the boat is also small, so mat'l cost should be less (glass, resin, vinyl). electronics are also less extravagant (i guess). running gear is probably the same. labor would be the same. anyway, I don't see how "bringing back" the old 210 could NOT result in a significant reduction in price. the real question is why would the marketing guys not want to do this?? i would prefer to buy a new old 210 with a warranty and 0 hours than buy a used old 210 in who knows what condition...

-------------
As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 4:03pm
With CC at its current size, it seems unlikely that it could focus on more than one thing at a time, no? Yes, they have the molds, experience, and R&D that's already paid for but to bring the old boat back wouldn't that take away from pushing innovation and spending resources on moving technology forward? Also, it seems that we are still in the type of economy where price point or not, these boats are pretty much being built to order, right? I don't think dealers are placing 5-10 boat orders for spec boats (even price point spec boats) like they used to so wouldn't CC find itself scrambling just trying to be too many things to too few people?

Not trying to argue against a lesser priced boat, it just doesn't like it could work effectively for CC. Malibu sells their former generation hulls in the vride series but that seems like it kind of screws the guy who bought a brand new wakesetter that after a couple of years and a Malibu hull upgrade, finds that his wakesetter has perhaps lost significant value b/c a buyer can go buy the same boat (in the vride series) brand new vs. buying his used wakesetter.

Regarding Standard. It seems like they have a good idea, but would've been substantially better had they made the boat in a more family friendly vdrive. The direct drive, lack of marketing and the economy surely are not helping, but seriously folks. To many out there, these are hardcore watersport boats and the guy with money who is considering the Standard or other price point boat is also going to be looking at runabouts with towers and wakeboard packages. To that guy's wife, the Sea Ray, Chapparel, Bayliner probably look more appealing.

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 4:40pm
I think standard is planning on a vdrive for their line up. Essentially standard could make a mold of the 210 hull in a few years when cc's patent is up

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The Sportster came out on the old Response hull at about time time the Response got an upgrade to its hull.

I know this is OT but I believe it actually is based on the "Tantrum" hull, again at a much narrower beam than any Response.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 5:17pm

Also, Pete- BMW's different models are not budget-oriented. They are purpose-oriented. The 1-series is targeted toward those who think the 3-series have gotten bloated (they have) and long for the size and "tossability" the 70's-era 2002 models or the E30 (84-91ish) 3-series. Incidentally the ///M 1-series is coming out soon and that will target the ///M3 series fans who think the same thing. Nobody in the market for a 5-series would buy a 1-series because of budget constraints- it's a totally different animal.

As a BMW driver I have to agree on that one. I bought a 5 series (stationwagon) bevause it suited my needs the most and because I just love that model...
People (especially us guys) also buy cars with their hart, not only with their minds...

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: 05 210
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 8:20pm
One thing being overlooked here is brand loyalty.Entry level products are introduced to get buyers into a product in hopes that they will want to upgrade to a nicer model later. This is EXACTLY why the japanese motorcycle manufacturers build kids products. They are heavily regulated and there is zero margin in them but they do it anyway in hopes to build a lifetime of loyalty at a young age.
   I know several people who wanted to buy Nautiques but they weren't in their budget(did not want a used boat) so they ended up with Malibus and Centurions. You know what? They all got great boats that they have had excellent luck with. Chances are next time they won't spend extra for a Nautique due to brand loyalty, seeing that they got a good product even though considered lesser by some. Will the resale be less? Absolutely, but it's negligable because they paid less.

Nautique markets boats for the higher end customer-absolutely.

Problem I see with that is that sooner or later 1/2 of those people(not the real die hards,but the people who bought one cause it's cool) stop buying, or lose interest and they dump them overwhelming the used market. Have you seen how stellar Harley Davidson is doing lately <sarcasm>? They build motorcycles for the upper end consumer also and don't really do much to target new consumers, which is absolutely killing them now that the baby boomers are going away. The market is flooded and used bikes are a dime a dozen(and cheap). Manufacturing products solely for the high end consumer can be rewarding, but it can also be a big gamble.

And as far as the cost to manufacture an entry level boat being almost the same as a high end boat? Well hell I wouldn't be bragging about that. If Malibu can sell an IRide for 50K , and gets a 100K for a flagship Wakesetter that costs almost the same to manufacture, then one of two things is happening. Speakers, ballast, and bling cost more to add than the actual boat costs to build, or someone(meaning everyone) is getting boned when they buy a top of the line boat. Which is it?

Mike

-------------
http:/diaries/details.asp?ID=2219" rel="nofollow - Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Posted By: Seperator
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 8:26pm

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/content.php?324-Bill-Yeargin-Answers-Our-Questions-%282010%29 - Bill Yeargan Interview

This interview was published on Planet Nautique the other day and I read it today.

I felt as though I was reading this it was almost as though I was reading an interview with a politician. Many of his answers he beat around the questions. I was overall not very impressed with the interview and at points I was actually angry about how he answered the questions with at some points disregard for the consumer, and more concerned with producing "the best" boats.

Share your thoughts

Yes it is frustrating when they dodge the questions like that and like he said they don't build boats for price.

But with them only building for the so called best and that can be debated if they still accomplish that, they will/have in all cases price (d) themselves right of the market for most buyers. IMO I would suspect in this continuing down economy it will shrink their market more and hurt them badly.

Lets face it with the current price of a BEST version SN even if they did offer a so called price point (What ever number it would be 40K -45K - 50K?) Ski Nautique how many people are ready to buy and at what price would they buy?

-------------

Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 8:52pm

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

The Sportster came out on the old Response hull at about time time the Response got an upgrade to its hull.

I know this is OT but I believe it actually is based on the "Tantrum" hull, again at a much narrower beam than any Response.

Joel, you are correct that the Sporty is on the Tantrum hull, but not wanting to bore people by getting into Malibu specifics such as the diamond hull and diamond cut hull or whatever they call it, the Response got the new hull when the Sporty came out. Not all Responses are the same. The older ones have the same hull bottom as the Sporster.

Mike, you make good points about creating brand loyalty with an entry level model. I do think Nautique owners are more brand loyal than Malbu owners.

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 10:16pm
Bottom line guys is,it don't matter.If and when the economy comes back it won't be the same anyway.My companies new hires top pay is less than half of what I make.You'll be too busy paying off the national debt to have time to go boating anyway.The only way the middle class worker will be able to buy a Nautique is when they go under and the Chinese buy it up.Any one here ever heard of Packard cars? Made alot of money during WW2. They too decided to bring out a lower price car, by 1959 they were history.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: MattieK27
Date Posted: November-29-2010 at 11:03pm
I commented on this article on Planet Nautique, but I figured I would post over here as well. The question about building old models again was something I posed, as I see nothing but win win from it.

Cost is something that has a lot of variables, but r&d on these boats is already done. Molds already exist. Assembly methods are known. It would take a very small amount to put the old 210 and the 196 back into production.

My theory is CC/Nautique thinks it will cut into their premium boat sales. I think the entry level and the typical CC buyer is two different markets, and they are failing to capitolize on this. Is the factory at production capacity? If not, fill in shifts with the older boats with a simplified optioning scheme, cutting down on the possible build variations. That will make these boats low volume, and with a short options list people that wanted loaded boats will be forced to look at the newer designs.

Just my thoughts...

Posted By: TRIP
Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 2:55am
Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

Wakeboardin,

I know there is a call of CC to make a less expensive boat. I don't see how pulling the molds back out for the 196 or the earlier 210 would help them accomplish that, even if they wanted too. They would still be using the same materials and labor to build the boat. I guess they could build a stripped down model, but no one really wants that either.

I'd want that! Gimme a 210 of that era (one of the best looking wakeboats ever) with tower, racks, PP and Pure Vert ballast and I'm a happy man. I don't need 267 led-illuminated cupholders, underwater REMOVEstyle lighting, 3d-touchscreens, a $5000-stereosystem with surround sound, etc etc etc etc etc etc and etc.
I think CC (or Nautiques or whatever) should do it (like Standard has), possibly under a new sub brand name (like Axis/Moomba).

-------------
http://www.flyzone-cr.com" rel="nofollow - FlyZone Costa Rica Wakeboarding
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=8406&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 1997 Super Sport

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 10:00am
and to think on my lake, all I see is these yupps in their new 80k CC's pulling around tubers, they definitely geared these boats to the "gotta keep up with the Smith's".
the "true" enthusiasts, the ones out there at 7:00 am looking for the flat water before the blingers get out there are in a mid ranged mid priced ski boat, even a 2500.00 boat teaching their kids to ski.
Has CC lost their way? believe me im not bias here in no way.
Jodi, if so is true and they are now geared to the elite, maybe on the transom it should read as follows: we sold out, if you want to ski go buy a ski boat

-------------

Posted By: 05 210
Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 11:05am

Has CC lost their way? believe me im not bias here in no way.
Jodi, if so is true and they are now geared to the elite, maybe on the transom it should read as follows: we sold out, if you want to ski go buy a ski boat

It almost seems like this is exactly what is happening. It also seems like from reading the other forums that there are alot more issues out there with the newer boats(ie. malfunctions,QC issues, and warranty claims). It could just appear that way cause maybe there are more people are whining, but lately it seems like the prices are going up and the quality is going down. Not just with Nautiques, but all brands.

-------------
http:/diaries/details.asp?ID=2219" rel="nofollow - Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 11:13am
Sorry Erik Not getting your statement "we sold out" Nautiques are an upscale boat plain and simple. If one can not afford a new one then they have two options. Go find a nice used Nautique or settle for a lesser product. Their does not seem to be a shortage of buyers to buy new Nautiques and their are great buy's on even year old boats. I know of a 100 hour Ski 200 for $41K on the trailer. How about a 08 196 $24k.
Again you as a Nautique purchaser have the option to not bling out your boat and can get into a new ski or wakeboard boat for not much more than a year ago. If $3000 difference from last year to this year on a stripped down boat is a make or break then you can not afford the boat anyway.
Yes toski one does not need a state of the art Ski 200, I ski regulary with a 92 SN at least twice a week and we own a 82 American Skier that we use for tubing wake boarding and my son even uses it for learning new flips on his trick ski.
Like it or not Nautiques are going forward where other company's are stagnating and failing, Their must be something to Nautiques as they continue to be sucessful in their efforts.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 12:09pm
Yeargin
there
buys

Andddddd thats the end of my rant

-------------

Posted By: JMurph
Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by TRIP TRIP wrote:

Originally posted by JMurph JMurph wrote:

Wakeboardin,

I know there is a call of CC to make a less expensive boat. I don't see how pulling the molds back out for the 196 or the earlier 210 would help them accomplish that, even if they wanted too. They would still be using the same materials and labor to build the boat. I guess they could build a stripped down model, but no one really wants that either.

I'd want that! Gimme a 210 of that era (one of the best looking wakeboats ever) with tower, racks, PP and Pure Vert ballast and I'm a happy man. I don't need 267 led-illuminated cupholders, underwater REMOVEstyle lighting, 3d-touchscreens, a $5000-stereosystem with surround sound, etc etc etc etc etc etc and etc.
I think CC (or Nautiques or whatever) should do it (like Standard has), possibly under a new sub brand name (like Axis/Moomba).

If you were able to buy that new 210, stripped down to what your desired level, what would you be willing to pay? 40k, 50k, 60k (certainly not 70k+) I doubt you would be calling for this option if you were trying to sell you previous generation low hour 210. That would push the used sales into the basement and beyond. CC is actually helping every one of us by not slashing prices and selling their new boats at used prices. I know a lot of new CC's are cash purchases, but owners would still be completely upside down on their investment.

I do like the suggestion of a sub-brand. That could actually solve the issue of driving the CC prices down.

As for Bill's comment that they don't build to a price point, at least he didn't dodge that question. It seems like a pretty authentic answer eventhough it would not sit well with the general public (non-CC owners).    

-------------

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 12:20pm
Despite what some people on CCF say about Correct Craft's of yesteryear, they were never a cheap boat. A 66 or 67 Barracuda or Wildcat went for $4,000 to $5,000 back in the day which was what a new Vette cost. They weren't affordable to most people unless you bought used. They did have lower cost boats like the Mustang, but even those were out of reach of most people, unless they bought used.

They could come out with a less expensive boat and they probably would if they thought there was a market for it. I don't think a $50-$55k Malibu VRide is an inexpensive boat, even though it may be $10k less than their better wakeboard boat.

-------------

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 12:41pm
I guess my main issue is that the whole inboard market seems to be going bigger and heavier, which is understandably going to be more expensive.

Even brands that start out to be affordable, like Moomba etc., keep bringing their models upmarket. Well, maybe Moomba is bad example; they're latest outback V is actually smaller than the previous to be under 20 feet.

It seems like with the SUV market leaning towards lighter framed car based models, I would have to imagine that average towing capacity is going down. So then you have to think about buying a new truck too, when you can't haul your boat with your family hauler.

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 12:50pm
Brian, I agree. The SN 200 is very similar to the Malibu Rlxi that came out in 2003. A big do all boat. 2800 lbs. I always thought Correct Craft had such a niche with the small CB ski boat that they would always be the only company still making one. My guess is the market spoke.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 1:01pm
The Ski Nautique has never gotten smaller.

-------------

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The Ski Nautique has never gotten smaller.

Technically the 2007-2009 196 was listed at 19'5.25" and 90.25" wide, whereas it was 19'6" and 91" from 1990-2006.

-------------

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 1:24pm
That all depended on who read the tape measure!

-------------

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 1:25pm
Also was it with or with out the rub rail?

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

It almost seems like this is exactly what is happening. It also seems like from reading the other forums that there are alot more issues out there with the newer boats(ie. malfunctions,QC issues, and warranty claims). It could just appear that way cause maybe there are more people are whining, but lately it seems like the prices are going up and the quality is going down. Not just with Nautiques, but all brands.

That is just the nature with things.This is happening with everything,Benz and Bmw had this problem too,now it's Toyota.The more systems you add, the more problems you will have.Same thing with a boat, it's all the add ons. Only time will tell how good the quality is now,the track record with hull blisters and stringers in my opinion is not good for a "high end" boat.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 1:57pm

That all depended on who read the tape measure!

Ha, I know. Im just giving HW a hard time. I figured it was more of a rounding thing (next largest inch) prior to '07, as there were no hull changes that year to account for the difference.

The brochures also list the early 2nd gen (1970-1972) Ski Nautique as being the same size as the 1st gen (17'6", 6'4" beam) vs. 17'9" for the 73-81 boats. I suspect this probably a mistake in the brochure, but I could be wrong.

While the Ski Nautique may have never shrunk, the Mustang did. It went from the 16'1" hull (1966-1970) to the 16'5" hull (1971-1975) to the 17' hull (1974-1979) and then back to the 16'5" hull (1982-1984). Thats neither here nor there, but interesting nonetheless.

Jody, what do you think of there being a market for a boat in CC's lineup below the SN200? Not a pricepoint boat per se, just something smaller in size.

-------------

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 2:16pm
I always liked the 176 but it did not warrant continued build as it could not carry its own weight in the market. In Today's world I would think that a smaller ski boat would fall into the same slot as the 176 it just could not hold its own and the cost to develop it and get it thru the line and to market could not be re-cooped. Alway's remember Nautiques is consistantly working and developing new invovative products and they stay abreast to current trends so who knows!!

-------------

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 2:32pm
I actually thought the interview was reasonably straight forward for a promotional piece.. which of course it was as any CEO who gives an interview without turning it into a promotional piece is either completely self absorbed or incompetent. I don't know about the market for some of these proposed boats.. is there one yeah maybe but again it overlaps the used boat market pretty close. Even the smaller ski boat Tim proposes.. .is there a market perhaps but it is a small subset of the market for the 200. I feel most of the people buying a 200 are probably replacing a 196, or older SN (although with the 200 some will downsize from a 216 or 210). Those people need a reason to upgrade (unless you are part of the promo/got to have the latest and greatest crowd) size, better storage, fuel injection, speed control, what have you are all the reasons to upgrade to a new boat. A smaller more basic boat doesnt usually meet the criteria. So basically a SN 176 is a boat that will be bought mostly by new boat buyers on a budget or looking for a smaller boat, or camps that run serious hours. A market sure, but one big enough to split your product offering over.. probably not. There are real costs involved in carrying multiple models, my guess is a good market analysis wouldnt support it.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 2:44pm
I like the 176 now too- but at the time it was offered it never really did much for me. Im not sure if it was the cartoonish looks or the fact that it was marketed as a "lesser" Ski Nautique... but those 2 things probably didnt help its cause. Maybe if it were a bit sleeker or chiseled or had been marketed as a powerboat, barefoot boat, etc, it would have faired a little better in the marketplace. I think the people who were shopping on price (176 buyers) would still have been drawn to it if it had slalomed the same but was styled and marketed differently... and maybe a whole different group of buyers would have been attracted to it as well. Then again, maybe Im out in left field.

-------------

Date Posted: November-30-2010 at 5:47pm
if you look at the big picture you surely are not going to finance 80k on a 4 or 5 year deal, your gonna go for a 10 year deal...and we know what happens with interest over a time period. but again if your a hardcore up at 6 in the morning skier....what would thy purchase? BTW, you cant blast a stereo at 7 in the morning lol

-------------

Print Page | Close Window