Forum Name: Off Topic
Forum Discription: Anything non-Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20632
Printed Date: April-27-2024 at 10:45am

Topic: off topic winter projects
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Subject: off topic winter projects
Date Posted: February-12-2011 at 9:56pm
We have the "winter project" thread on boats but I figured since this isn't a boat I'd start a new thread in the off topic section.

I've always wanted to add a woodworking lathe to my shop however since it's not something I would use a lot, I didn't want to spend too much. They can get up into the 6K range so to keep costs within reason, I started shopping for used. Always being a Rockwell Delta person, I keyed into them. I found lots of the heavy duty early lathes but always ran into a crating, loading and shipping problem. This one came up locally on Craig's list so I took a drive and ended up getting it pretty cheap. It's a 1948 when Rockwell Delta sold a lighter duty lathe aimed at the non-production homeowner market. It had the optional stand with the HD cast iron legs which was actually used on the heavier duty lathe. That sold me on the purchase.

I stripped and painted all the basic metal parts but when I stripped the wood top and bottom shelf I was disappointed. Even though they were beautiful clear old growth sugar pine, both were oil soaked at all the bolt holes. The bottom shelf also had about 4 sets of holes from PO's mounting different motors. So, I decided to make the Maple "butcher block" top and shelf. (the Maple for the job ended up costing more than the lathe!!)

I converted the headstock seals to modern rubber and got rid of the old leather/felt seals. It runs 90W gear oil and I feel that's where all the oil in the wood came from.

Next came the motor. The one that came with it was way under HP'd and wouldn't even turn the spindle in the higher speeds. Wanting the flexibility of more variable speeds, the easy way is with a VFC (variable frequency control) driving a standard 3 phase induction motor. A added bennifit to the VFD is they can run on a single phase power source 3HP and below.

Since the "Home Craft" Lathe would only swing a 11" diameter over the bed, I machined up 1" riser blocks for the head and tail stocks so it can now swing 13".

I found a old disconnect at work, stripped the guts out and hid the VFC in it. The on/off switch is actually the old surface mount switch that came with the lathe. Both mantain the old appearance of the late 40's.

The 3/4 HP older looking 3 phase motor came off ebay. The motor mount is actually a modified tractor trailer rear door hinge!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Replies:
Posted By: BFNSport
Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:39am
Very nice,I like the VFD good idea   but its not orginal.....:-)

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 3:56am
Pete is see a few point deductions there for non originality
Put as usual very professional looking job.

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 10:50am
Nice work Pete...but I do see signs of illness.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Posted By: peter1234
Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 12:14pm
sort of a resto mod wouldnt you say?

-------------
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go

Posted By: eric lavine
Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 1:00pm
Greg, my exact thoughts also

-------------
"the things you own will start to own you"

Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 1:01pm
God help if he gets a woodchip on the floor

-------------

Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 1:01pm
whats really puzzling is the dust on the compressor

-------------

Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:05pm
he only uses that to puff himself up to rip another non original comment to pieces

-------------

Posted By: BuffaloBFN
Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

whats really puzzling is the dust on the compressor

The plastic feather boards worry me more.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2331&sort=&pagenum=12&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO

Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

he only uses that to puff himself up to rip another non original comment to pieces

Wood lathes aren't judged by ACBS guidlines!!   

BTW, I've commented on it before but boat internal mods you can't see are ok!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Nice work Pete...but I do see signs of illness.

Greg,
You may be correct!! I found myself ebaying old Delta planers this morning!

I did find one about 30 miles from Steve W. but I'll have to work on the logistics! It won't fit in the back end of my Suburban and I don't think Steve has a pickup without a cap on the tail end!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-13-2011 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

The plastic feather boards worry me more.

Greg,
I missed this post. I must have been busy answering Peter's!!

Yes, PLASTIC!!! It does sort of rub me the wrong way!! But, I've made plenty of wood ones and they just never seem to work like the purchased. Plus, you do need some time to make a decent wood one and start with some real clear good material. Then, there's the clamping or fumbling with C clamps!!

What you're looking at is the router lift (Bench Dog) that I installed in my table saw extension. "T" slots in the table and fence make the purchased boards easy. I even added "T" slots to my Unifence on the cabinet saw! I've got a couple of the boards that fit into the 3/4" miter slots.

I'll never make another wood feather board!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 9:45am
Pete, has your sub-conscience named your new place yet? i would bet you call it the wood shop???

-------------

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:14am
What amazes me is that that perfect shop looks like any now that you've moved in!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:53am
Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

What amazes me is that that perfect shop looks like any now that you've moved in!

Kevin,
The picture was taken in my garage here at home. I'm still working out of it and won't have the complete luxury of the new shop up north until I retire. I will certainly enjoy it with the dust collector - and won't have to put up with Eric's sawdust comments!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 11:01am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'm still working out of it and won't have the complete luxury of the new shop up north until I retire.

Now I understand why your wife went along with such an extordinary shop. She wants you to have a place to go!

-------------

Posted By: harddock
Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 4:28pm
Pete, Stay healthy my friend. I (we) want you to enjoy the new building for many years.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4487" rel="nofollow - 1998 Ski Nautique

Posted By: Brady
Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:35pm
Pete,
Is that the same air compressor you loaned to me back in 1987??

-------------
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda

Date Posted: February-14-2011 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by Brady Brady wrote:

Pete,
Is that the same air compressor you loaned to me back in 1987??

Yup, still running except it doesn't walk all over the floor since I put the rubber vibration mount under the front foot! And yes, as you found out, it does need a 20 amp circuit.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 10:02am
Pete, I got bit with the sht to, it starts as soon as i get up in the morning, I have to carefully remove a coffee cup from the cabinet not allowing it to touch another one, same with the creamer, as the day wears on, i have to blink my eyes as each car passes on the freeway...just a touch of it though. lol

-------------

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 10:06am
Pete, what will be your specialty in your new shop?

-------------

Posted By: JMurph
Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 1:09pm

Originally posted by harddock harddock wrote:

Kevin,
The picture was taken in my garage here at home. I'm still working out of it and won't have the complete luxury of the new shop up north until I retire. I will certainly enjoy it with the dust collector - and won't have to put up with Eric's sawdust comments!!

As I've watched the thread on the garages/shops, I've always thought that it must drive you crazy to have such an awesome shop developing, but not be able to use it. I have a similar situation at our lake, where there's five acres across the street from me (REALLY cheap) that would be perfect to build a shop, but I can't stand the thought of it sitting there for years on end without me being able to use it. I'm not as close to retirement as you. Hurry up and enjoy that thing.

-------------

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:14pm
John,
I wish I had that amount of room to work with. Wisconsin is pushing through some new ruling around lakes to control water run off. You can't exceed 30% non permeable of your land square footage. They consider gravel drives and septic fields non permeable!! Keep your eye on the 5 acres. Maybe you can talk to the owner and at least get a "first right of refusal".

Eric,
It's basically a woodworking shop. I have two projects on the back burner. The first is all the millwork (no doors), two staircases/balustrades and flooring out of local Red Pine. The other is the restoration of a 1918 launch I have (the 1927 Universal Flexifour is going in it). From there it's anyones guess! Maybe I'll be looking for another CC woodie!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:19pm
If you live on a lake and you can by land abutting you now for cheap, buy it! before someone else does.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

If you live on a lake and you can by land abutting you now for cheap, buy it! before someone else does.

+1 !!!!!

-------------

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 6:26pm
No doubt!   One thing about "land", they quit making it a long time ago.
Well, except for the Arabs.

Nice lathe, Pete.

Posted By: JMurph
Date Posted: February-15-2011 at 8:25pm
I hear you guys loud and clear. It's very rural around the lake, but I keep trying to convince my wife the same thing. I'm sure 15 years from now I'll be kicking myself if I don't buy it. Maybe I'll make an offer just for fun.

Pete,

My full time home is in Maryland, so we've been dealing with the Chesapeake Bay Act for years. You can't hardly go near the water without a permit.

-------------

Date Posted: February-16-2011 at 10:00am
John
About 20 years ago a 7 or 8 acre parcel came up for sale just across from my driveway, I contacted the realtor and got the legal description and walked it off it was all wooded and cheap. Well I dithered and delayed and several months later someone else got it for the price of a halfway decent used car. I have kicked myself ever since.

-------------
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda

Date Posted: February-16-2011 at 11:00am
It's when the new neighbors move in with all their jet skis, tubes and bring all their friends and stay up all night hooting and hollering when you really wish you bought the property.

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: February-16-2011 at 11:59am

I did find one about 30 miles from Steve W. but I'll have to work on the logistics! It won't fit in the back end of my Suburban and I don't think Steve has a pickup without a cap on the tail end!

The late 90s Chevy with the v-plow he just posted in your SNOW thread did not have a topper on it. Also, I don't remember his K10 having one either.

That lathe looks outstanding.

-------------

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: February-16-2011 at 12:29pm
That lathe brought back memories Pete. I didnt think it was possible until you said it was from 1948. My grandfather (passed away early 70s) was quite a woodworker and had that exact lathe in his shop, along with a band saw and a joiner/planer. Everything else was hand tools. Did nice work. Takes me back.

-------------

Date Posted: February-24-2011 at 9:33pm
Now for my confession.
My old high school electronics teacher used to let everyone build their own projects and then towards the end of the semester, he would have what he referred to as his “smoke test”. All the students would power up their projects and if it didn’t smoke, they would get a passing grade on the project! Well, what I haven’t mentioned is the first VFD I used on the lathe, didn’t pass the smoke test. In fact, it not only smoked, it also produced lots of sparks plus popped the breaker. What happened was with the power terminal strip being located on the bottom of the drive, I couldn’t see the terminal markings. Instead of getting a mirror, I went by the owner’s manual counting terminals from left to right. In the manual, there wasn’t a true diagram ID’ing the terminals but what I would call almost a sketch. If anyone has ever had the “pleasure” of dealing with a Chinese tech document, you’ll know what I mean!! I ended up crossing one of the L1 (a power in terminal) with a T2 (terminal out to motor). That VFD sure didn’t like it! Lesson learned – Use a mirror Pete

Now it’s on to using the lathe which I haven’t done since college. I’ve got some chucks of left over maple so I think I’ll turn a simple plate for my wife!

BTW, the second VFD works great!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: February-26-2011 at 9:32pm

Now it’s on to using the lathe which I haven’t done since college. I’ve got some chucks of left over maple so I think I’ll turn a simple plate for my wife!

It sure brought back some memories!!

Using the lathe confirmed that I do need to make a riser block for under the tool rest bracket. I did suspect that with the risers under the head and tail stocks and not being able to raise the tool rest up enough, it would create some issues with cutting. Another block of aluminum is on it's way from McMaster!!

My daughter saw the plate and knows about some of my old lathe projects so, she gave me a new one - A salad bowl set for her wedding! At least the wedding present won't cost me much!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-23-2011 at 10:57pm
With that lathe sitting in my shop, I couldn't resist getting back into some wood turning. I went shopping for cheap bowl blanks and found plenty of weird and exotics are available on ebay but they are green blanks. Never having turned green wood before, I gave it a try. Some good and bad!!! You need to rough turn first then dry the blanks. Ether you wait a year or more for the drying or you put them in the microwave. I chose the latter and had mixed results. Lets just say it was a experiment!! Well anyway, I was out in the shop doing some turning when my daughter came out, saw what was going on and told me again what she want's for a wedding gift..... A salad 8 bowl/serving bowl set. Well, considering the time involved I should have just gone out and bought a set!!     Still, not hand made and personal so I took my daughter over to my hardwood lumber yard to look at woods. We both wanted something out of the normal domestics and toward the exotics but luckily for me, she did look at the prices. She decided on Jatoba which here is sometimes referred to as Brazilian Cherry. It's probably the least expensive of the imports comparing in BF cost to our domestics. The only issue is it is HARD and the only resemblance to Cherry is the color!! On the janka hardness scale, Ipe is first, then Ebony and 3rd is the Jatoba. With HSS tooling, I was constantly over at the grinder sharpening!!! (I need one of those fancy $500.00 sets of lathe tools from England correct Roger?)

Matching wood forks:

The serving bowl:

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:18am
those are a different kinda bowl then what i use to make in woodshop

-------------

Posted By: 62 wood
Date Posted: April-24-2011 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The late 90s Chevy with the v-plow he just posted in your SNOW thread did not have a topper on it. Also, I don't remember his K10 having one either.

That lathe looks outstanding.

Just saw this post for the first time this morning...nice lathe Pete! btw, probably too late, but HW is correct my 72 has no topper, my 97 plow truck has a tonneau cover that can be taken off in a couple minutes. Only the 96 has the "old man kit" on the back!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: April-24-2011 at 2:12pm
Pete, Nice work, what a personal gift for your daughters big day. Despite its hardnes I have found jatoba flooring runs through a saw easier than maple, is turning different?

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-24-2011 at 3:39pm
Dave,
I found the Jatoba to be hard on tools. It was very difficult to maintain a decent edge on my HSS turning tools and the reason I mentioned I was constantly at the grinder!! For a B day gift, the wife and kids gave me a carbide insert turning tool from Rockler. It turned out to be a absolute joke. Someone didn't do their research and testing. The rake angle on the insert was so steep that it was impossible to control. It would grab any of the wood species I tried it on. Interestingly, all the write in reviews in Rocklers web site sited the same problem. Including mine, I believe there we 7. 6 people including myself sent the tool back for refunds! I can't stand Rockler anyway!!   

If you are having problems with Maple, it too is tough on blades. Even a brand new or freshly sharpened carbide blade will have a tendency to burn Maple. I suggest a Freud LM72 rip for ripping and maintain a constant feed rate. I know you're not doing a lot of Maple ripping but anyone who does, utilizes a stock feeder. Also, when was the last time you gave your table saw a tune up?

For your crosscuts in the miter saw, go for a Freud LU85 cutoff.

I've found the Freud's to be better than any other blades.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-13-2011 at 10:44pm
I'm still having fun with the lathe. Here's the latest for my wife's birthday. Yes, I know it's not a good idea to get something cooking oriented for her but I hope she'll appreciate it since I made it. Ether that or she'll hit me with it!

It's hard to see a size reference from the picture. The pin itself is 3" dia. and 12" in length less the handles.

Greg, (or anyone)
Want to take a shot at ID'ing the wood?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-13-2011 at 11:07pm
nice work Pete

-------------
Charlie
Three Lakes, Wisconsin
69 Barracuda

Posted By: uk1979
Date Posted: May-15-2011 at 9:36am

I'm still having fun with the lathe. Here's the latest for my wife's birthday. Yes, I know it's not a good idea to get something cooking oriented for her but I hope she'll appreciate it since I made it. Ether that or she'll hit me with it!

It's hard to see a size reference from the picture. The pin itself is 3" dia. and 12" in length less the handles.

Greg, (or anyone)
Want to take a shot at ID'ing the wood?

I will have a stab at Brazilian Kingwood, which if right is apt as its for your Queen, still think your living dangerous with that.....always give something that won't hurt when thrown.........sponges are good.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: May-15-2011 at 10:26am
Roger,
Close but try again. You did get the genus "Dalbergia" correct. Think more in the orange tones.

BTW, I had to look up the genus!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-15-2011 at 10:29am
Pete, the saying is more like, "never give or make her something that she can beat you on the head with"

-------------

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: May-15-2011 at 12:10pm
Honduras Rosewood

Date Posted: May-15-2011 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Honduras Rosewood

Paul,
Sorry but that's not it!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-15-2011 at 1:19pm

Roger,
Close but try again. You did get the genus "Dalbergia" correct. Think more in the orange tones.

BTW, I had to look up the genus!!

Lets have a go at "Cocobolo" Ideal for a rolling pin as its almost self finishing.....I had to get my swatches out for this one

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: May-15-2011 at 1:22pm
Damn!!

Pete by the way that looks like the lathe my dad had when I was growing up.

Date Posted: May-15-2011 at 3:30pm
Roger,
Yup, It's Cocobolo. I haven't turned any in years and really forgot how nicely it does turn. Of course after turning that Jatoba, just about anything would be nice!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: sweet77
Date Posted: May-15-2011 at 3:41pm
pete, what does one of your salad bowl sets cost ??? or even just one big salad bowl i would pay to have a set of hand made bowls. Why ??? i dont know it just seems american. Nothing but talent and i respect that. Not a company getting there products imported from somewhere else. Very cool

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5528&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow - 76 Nautique

"If you do what you always did,You'll get what you always got!"

"An empty wagon makes t

Date Posted: May-15-2011 at 6:26pm
Halston,
I really appreciate the thought about having me do a bowl or set for you but right now, the bottom line is I simply do not have the time. Too much going on which is the case with many of us. Maybe when I retire in a couple years!

You can do a search for bowls. Lots come up as there are plenty of "artsy/craftsy" retired guys out there trying to make ends meet on social security! OMG, I was just reading in the Trib yesterday that SS as well as medicare will run out of funding. Ether I'll be lucky and be dead by then or Obama will fix it!!!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: May-16-2011 at 2:20am
if Obama and his crew are gonna fix it we will be dead or broke or dead-broke..but in any case very unlucky.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: uk 1979 part2
Date Posted: May-16-2011 at 8:52am

Roger,
Yup, It's Cocobolo. I haven't turned any in years and really forgot how nicely it does turn. Of course after turning that Jatoba, just about anything would be nice!

Your Lathe would take a attachment like this, I'm sure you could make one up......this is off our Myford wood Lathe,with the right speed your be into metal too.

I would try the metal tooling...throw away tips type may be the way to go on the hard stuff.

-------------
lets have a go 2

Date Posted: May-16-2011 at 9:17am
Roger,
Compound cross slides were a option with the lathe as well as 3 and 4 jaw chucks. I have been keeping my eye open on ebay!! The only problem is the slides have been selling for several hundred!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-16-2011 at 11:09am

Roger,
Compound cross slides were a option with the lathe as well as 3 and 4 jaw chucks. I have been keeping my eye open on ebay!! The only problem is the slides have been selling for several hundred!

Your not alone Pete, the one in the picture sold for $362.00 in the UK, may be worth looking out for a mill cross slide as you have good flat bed to it and looks like good height to the head stock.....just make a plate that bolts on

The ones that are sold on Ebay worth looking up the buyer and see if they do allot of real hard wood turning my guess is they do

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: May-22-2011 at 9:10pm
Well, I've finally gotten to making the project I really bought the wood lathe for! I've mentioned it before that I have a 1918 (rough guess) launch that one of these days I'll be starting a restoration on. I probably mentioned it in the thread on the 1927 Universal Flexifour I rebuilt for it. Anyway, the launch came with the original search light as well as the nav lights which as kerosene. The search light was originally acetylene using a generator with carbide and water like a miners light. It had been converted to electric I assume when the launch was repowered with a engine with electric. I will be converting it back to acetylene. I found that parts for the old model T gas headlights will fit like the burner and it's base. The actual generator is a different story - long gone and if you find one that works are way up there $$$$$!! I'll keep looking for one I can clean up and hide a bottle of Burnz-o-matic acetylene inside it!!

The problem with the light is the brass is in real bad shape and cracked. Old brass get's real brittle when the zinc leaches out over time. The same happens with brass screws and the reason only silica bronze screws should be used on wood boats. (There are some out there who have found this out - the hard way!!)

You can see there are actually pieces of brass broken out.

So, I need to have new brass spun but the big cost is the spinning plug that the metal is spun over. I had plenty of wood laying around so here's the results.

The finished plug for the main body:

The plug next to the light:

The finished plug for the door (bezel):

The plug next to the door:

The biggest challenge on both plugs is because there are male sections on the spinning, the plugs needed to be made so they could be disassembled in on themselves. Lots of screws and even some metal dowel pins inside.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-22-2011 at 10:34pm
Pretty cool Pete, what gauge is the blank you use?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1117&sort=&pagenum=6" rel="nofollow - 64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: May-22-2011 at 10:43pm
i just saw 8 of those lights on e-Bay, they were new still in the box...and a buy now of 200.00 for all 8   lol

-------------

Date Posted: May-22-2011 at 10:49pm
Steve,
The brass on the old light is .035" but that may be at a thick spot. With a spun piece of metal, the thickness varies quite a lot.

Eric,
Where did you find the lights on ebay? I've been there looking quite a lot (daily for weeks) looking for the burners. They may be model T lights but I doubt the same. How about a link??

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: May-23-2011 at 12:41am
I'm pretty sure Eric is pulling your leg Pete. Now how about that metal spinning? Are you able to do that or do you have to farm that out? At least there is no chrome involved!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-23-2011 at 9:50am
Gary,
I sure hope he's pulling my leg!!!

The spinning is getting jobbed out. I'd need another piece of equipment plus spinning falls into the catagory of "art form" requiring a rather big learning curve. I'd probably waste more brass in scrap than what it would cost to have a pro do it! This project I wanted to get out of the way now. There aren't many metal spinners around anymore and I sure won't find one up north!   

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-23-2011 at 10:05am
just pulling your leg Pete, but i would bet somewhere in a old parts house there are a few of those laying around and they will end up in the scrap pile

-------------

Date Posted: May-23-2011 at 11:10am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

just pulling your leg Pete, but i would bet somewhere in a old parts house there are a few of those laying around and they will end up in the scrap pile

As mentioned, I have been doing plenty of searching and a couple problems come up. I've never been able to find one piece of info on the light I do have. It turns out there were quite a few manufacturers that made them and most common were for car headlights. This one has "Chicago Auto Headlamp Wks." on it's name plate. Next is the ones I did find all have the same problem with age, the brass and the "zincification" - brittle and cracking all over. The only ones that were fairly intact, were cheaper versions made with steel bodies. At least the missing acetyene burner and it's base are the same as the repo's for model T's and available.

After the parts are spun, the next project will be riveting and soldering all the old parts on. They weren't "pop" riveted!!! I do have the top oval vent hood to fab up as well. I'm going to have to brush up on my soldering skills and get the old iron out!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-13-2011 at 7:41pm
After much hunting (several years) and daily searches including ebay, I finally got my hands on this;

Anyone want to take a shot at what it is? I don't even think we have anyone on site that's old enough to remember them!!! A hint is, it goes along with the carbide search light I'm restoring. I had been looking for a earlier brass one but those in good shape have been going for close to 2K. Brass reproductions are out there but they get $1800 for them. I settled on this steel one because it's NOS and has all the parts. Now all I need is some calcium carbide and of course finish the search light!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-13-2011 at 8:00pm
Not sure what it is called, its the tank you add water to the calcium carbide to make fuel to fire the light..

.....I think.. ???

-------------

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: June-14-2011 at 12:01am
Pete, may i suggest a light bulb and 12 volts to it?

-------------

Date Posted: June-14-2011 at 8:41am
Steve,
You have the idea. Most call it a "carbide generator" but the more appropriate is a "acetylene generator". When water is dripped over the calcium carbide the acetylene is produced. Larger versions were used to light houses and welding shops even had them before bottled acetylene. I graduated from Montana State and it's metal shop had one out back and used it until the 60's when bottled gasses were available in the area. I understand it blew up a couple of times!! Unlike the small generators that only develop about 1 PSI, the ones used for welding/cutting where higher pressure. You needed to kep a real close eye on them. Acetylene becomes very unstable over 15 PSI!!

Eric,
Thanks for the non original idea. You wouldn't be a very good ACBS judge! Besides a battery, where am I going to get power off a hand crank start magneto ignition engine??? Remeber, this is going into the old launch that I rebuilt the Universal Flexifour for. BTW, the seach light have been converted (to 6 volt!!) and those parts came out.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-14-2011 at 10:05am

that and some oxygen in a garbage bag makes a hell of a boom.

-------------

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: June-14-2011 at 7:32pm
Wow Pete,   How cool!    The reality of growing up in our "disposable goods" age is that some of the old technologies were pretty ingenious, and we are missing out on seeing how smart our predicessors were.   While I am not always a keep it original guy, I love the fact that some people take it seriously enough to preserve the way Things used to be.   Some day I hope to have the luxury, skill and time to work out a cool old project like this!
nice work!

Date Posted: June-14-2011 at 8:45pm
Pete there is an old estate near me that when i worked there (heating calls) it was a private residence. the owner pointed out an out building nearby and told me it was an acetylene generating area for lighting. I wonder if it worked on the same principle .even after 25 yrs i still wonder what it did when i drive by.

-------------

Date Posted: June-14-2011 at 10:18pm
Peter,
During all my searching for the acetylene generator, I ran across plenty of literature for home lighting systems. Same principle of dripping water onto calcium carbide. I'd have to say it was a alternate to living in a lager city that was piped for coal gas or later, natural gas for lighting. The advantage to the acetylene is it burns with a very white light. The disadvantage is the carbide waste is a mess to clean up. I never did actually run across a generator. I have a feeling they all went to the scrap dealer.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-17-2011 at 10:14am
the bulb and 12 volts isnt sounding that bad

-------------

Date Posted: September-18-2011 at 7:17pm
I'm off to my next project to fill in some gaps I have with wood working equipment. Still keeping to my form and preferring Delta equipment and especially vintage like my lathe, I picked this up off ebay.

I should have taken a before dis-assembly picture but assembled, it was laying down in the back end of the Suburban. I actually had to break it down into pieces to get it out since my engine hoist is still up north. It's heavy!!!! It set the tail end of my 3/4 ton down into the overload helper springs!! It's a 1951 Delta 22-101 13x5 planer. It's seen very little use and the problematic brass worm gear shows no wear. I've already talked to our lube supplier at work to give the brass worm/spur gearing some help with some latest and greatest lubricant.

I got a big kick out of the old 3 HP motor. Take a look at the size of it!!

It's a old NEMA 225 frame! We have a couple old small stamping presses down at the plant that have these old motor frame sizes but just like this old planer, they are well over 50 years old!! I should have laid a tape measure down next to the motor to provide some perspective, but the thing is close to 12" in diameter!! I do need to get a new single phase motor so I can take the old one into the scrapper. Plenty of copper in that old 225 frame!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-18-2011 at 7:46pm
Here's a picture of one of OWWM.com members 22-101's:

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-19-2011 at 9:59am
Pete, i was starting the hunting and gathering process for a pig roaster, gear motor, steel, all the stuff...long and behold up on the hill behind my shop a guy due to the recession had to dump his trailer mount roaster, it needed some polishing and i handled that saturday...i looked up this particular one up on line and they are fetching 3500.00.
I'll get some pics up here soon

-------------

Date Posted: September-19-2011 at 7:47pm
Pete - I was in a Sales Dog and pony presentation a couple of days ago for work.... Honeywell is making a "HVAC" specific VFD drive for single phase to 3 phase conversion.   Might be worth looking into if you wanted to preserve the old motor. Certainly some of the HVAC specific stuff would not apply, but having 3 phase with a standard 110/220 plug might be interesting.

Date Posted: September-19-2011 at 8:30pm

Here's a picture of one of OWWM.com members 22-101's:

Nice find Pete, will go well in your mill....I think I'm going the other way to you with my latest EBay find

I like the Van Norman machines great USA engineering   

-------------
lets have a go 2

Date Posted: September-19-2011 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Pete - I was in a Sales Dog and pony presentation a couple of days ago for work.... Honeywell is making a "HVAC" specific VFD drive for single phase to 3 phase conversion.   Might be worth looking into if you wanted to preserve the old motor. Certainly some of the HVAC specific stuff would not apply, but having 3 phase with a standard 110/220 plug might be interesting.

Kris,
I've been very familiar with VFD's since there development. My first application was back in the early 70's. Lot's has happened since those big huge drives!!! I've done many VFD conversions on big presses at the plant. If you go back into this thread about my lathe restoration, you'll find I intentionally used a 3 phase motor driven by a inverter off single phase power but that was to get the variable speed and not rely on a 4 step V belt sheave set up. (BTW, it works fantastic!!!) This planer project is not the same and especially due to the old 225 frame, I would never consider using an inverter on it. VFD's produce some weird high frequency's into the motors that blow the insulation between the windings - Hence, the "inverter duty" motor.

I found a single phase motor on ebay this morning and purchased it. New and the price was less than half of what my power transmission distributor quoted.

BTW, if you do shop for motors, especially on ebay, you need to pay real close attention to the FLA (full load amps). It's a true indicator of the HP and not the BS sellers word. This holds true with the current BS on the junk air compressors you are now finding on line or at one of the home improvement stores. They are labeling Peak HP's at full locked rotor amps!!!!!! You want to look at running amps. The true amps are listed by NEMA in any reference.

Thanks for your concern!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-20-2011 at 5:34pm
I do remember you putting a drive on your lathe, I thought it was a great Idea!   COuldn't remember if it was single phase or three phase though.   Looks like a cool project, and a great help around the shop.    True, we do spec inverter duty motors with all VFD's around here... momentary lapse in memory I haven't done much motor shopping lately, but will keep the FLA in mind!   Glad you found a replacement so inexpensively!

Date Posted: September-21-2011 at 12:09pm
Roger,
I missed your post since it was to close in time to my last post!!

Well you do have a couple of engines to bore so, I can appreciate your direction. Pretty soon you'll have more equipment to work on metal than wood!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-28-2011 at 6:03pm

Pretty soon you'll have more equipment to work on metal than wood!!

Don't worry Pete all this metal work kit not affecting us here

-------------
lets have a go 2

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: September-28-2011 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by uk 1979 part2 uk 1979 part2 wrote:

Roger, Who are your clients for something like that? Where is it going?

-------------

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: September-28-2011 at 9:03pm
My guess is Sherlock Holmes

-------------

Date Posted: September-29-2011 at 6:55am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by uk 1979 part2 uk 1979 part2 wrote:

Roger, Who are your clients for something like that? Where is it going?

Alan, its part of a board/meeting room we are doing for a large company over here,the other parts are good but keeping my powder dry on them,we had to make a 1/3 scale to prove it works first.
What you see will be sprayed in steel then rusted,the doors along the bottom are touch drawers,its all made out of Mdf there are a few more bits to go on then into the spray shop.
The unit brakes down into 2 main parts with separate shelves will post when its done and all the lighting is fitted.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: September-29-2011 at 9:59am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

,its all made out of Mdf

I didn't know you could weld MDF!

Fantastic work Roger, make sure you post completed pictures

-------------

Date Posted: September-29-2011 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

,its all made out of Mdf

I didn't know you could weld MDF!

Fantastic work Roger, make sure you post completed pictures

Thanks Alan will post when finish, been playing with epoxy again will post my findings soon in my SN thread.

Cheers Roger.

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: October-03-2011 at 9:42pm
Well, I've got this 1951 Delta planer totally torn down and all the parts hung on bailing wire and primed. Last evening I was cleaning up some nuts/bolts/etc and the very top cast iron "chip breaker came down. The bailing wire failed and when it hit the floor 3 corners broke off the casting. Not wanting to start throwing the heat into a non replaceable casting by brazing, out came the JB weld!!! Time will tell if it holds. My chances are good because the broken pieces are not high stress areas and not even machined surfaces. Still, it's really "heart breaking"!!

EDIT:
Roger,
If the epoxy doesn't work, maybe I can replace it with some MDF with a metallic coating!!??

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-04-2011 at 12:55am
Pete, congrats on the progress but sorry to hear about the "incident". Bad things should not happen to good people . Based on your history of workmanship I am sure we would have never caught it even in a close up. I am pretty impressed with JB weld, but I won't tell you why.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-09-2011 at 10:46pm
Well, it's coming along but slow!! Any restoration actually takes more time than the original build!!

This shot may show an orange tint on the table/bed but it's only the lighting and not rust. I actually took the table/bed down to the plant and stuck it on the water grinder in the tool room. I had to remove about .020" to get the big gouges out of the table - someone ran some timber through it with some heavy spikes in the lumber
and really messed up the Bed/table!!! At least when I got it, it had a new set of blades in it!!

I tried my best to create some castor brackets that would look appropriate. Keeping the original height within 5/8" of the floor and using only the existing holes (yes, original!! ) I rolled the vertical pieces to match the radius of the cast feet. As mentioned, due to limited space in my shop, I need the ability to roll unused equipment off to a corner/wall.

I've had no luck finding the heater (overload) for the 60 year old Cutler Hammer motor starter so I ended up jumpering it out. This was needed due to the addition of the new single phase motor. I'll put the clip on on it and keep an eye on the FLA. I don't what to put a modern starter in it since you'll notice the original is built into the frame with a cast iron cover matching the start/stop buttons!

And then, One last one for RIO - I even polished the knob!!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-12-2011 at 4:33am

- I even polished the knob!!!

-------------
1987 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: November-21-2011 at 6:39pm
This is how it looked.

-------------
lets have a go 2

Date Posted: November-30-2011 at 1:45pm
Roger,
That is a piece of art! Cool!

Well, the 1951 planer is done. I finally got the new guards fabbed after our light gauge shear was down for a rebuild for almost 4 weeks.

Wanting to connect it up to my dust collector, I had the same company that made all my ducting make me a special transition.

I'm hooked and as the members over on OWWM.com would say, hooked on old "arn" (as in iron)!! My next project is this 1953 Delta 8" jointer:

I've got it completely torn down and stripped ready for paint. This one the motor is in decent enough shape to use a VFD on to make the 3 phase it needs out of the single phase. I will use the old AB manual motor starter to control the on/off of the VFD but not in line with the motor. They call this jointer the "art Deco" version due to it's casting designs.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q63/brainard_bucket_bucket/DSCF0003-37.jpg">

Next on the list is a 1949 Delta shaper but I need to pinch some penny's for it!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-30-2011 at 2:24pm
I forgot to mention that the planer actually works!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: ononewheel
Date Posted: November-30-2011 at 5:30pm
But the dust collector doesn't.

That is some nice work, lots of it too. Never met you, but it looks like you do things the right way.

Date Posted: November-30-2011 at 6:19pm

Roger,
That is a piece of art! Cool!

Thanks Pete, sorry for the thread highjack... as for art if I could pass it off as that it would cost x100 more

Love the Art Deco style, the machines had pride back then not like the gray boxes you get today all HS now, had a look on your OWWM cool place made me smile, I see some of our Wadkin has made it on their

As an apprentice spent many an hour behind a 24 in” thicknesser it was the unguarded wadkin 5 head EKA that always made me pucker up....still have some Wadkin and other old arn in the shop

Your neighbours must love you when you start that thicknesser up

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: November-30-2011 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by ononewheel ononewheel wrote:

But the dust collector doesn't.

That is some nice work, lots of it too. Never met you, but it looks like you do things the right way.

Thanks, as I always try.

On the dust collector, the picture was taken down here in my garage. The dust collector is actually in the shop I built up north at my Three Lakes house. I will be taking all the equipment up there and retire. Some info and pictures of the project are in this thread: http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15903&KW=show+me+garage&PN=2&title=show-me-your-garage - show me your garage

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: November-30-2011 at 9:31pm

After getting the planer back together, tuning it and then running it, I was actually quite surprised at how quiet it actually is. My dust collector makes more noise and you can't hear it running outside the shop. I think the extra thermal insulation I went with also handles the noise.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 6:56am

After getting the planer back together, tuning it and then running it, I was actually quite surprised at how quiet it actually is. My dust collector makes more noise and you can't hear it running outside the shop. I think the extra thermal insulation I went with also handles the noise.

I see your becoming an old woodworker, we are all a bit deaf

-------------
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 9:44am
Geppetto, when is your target retirement date?

-------------

Date Posted: December-01-2011 at 4:49pm
geppetto lol   thats the perfect visual

-------------

Print Page | Close Window